- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Endocrinology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 856359, 7 pages
Association of Lipids with Oxidative Stress Biomarkers in Subclinical Hypothyroidism
Programa de Pós-Graduação em Bioquímica Toxicológica, Departamento de Química, Centro de Ciências Naturais e Exatas, Universidade Federal de Santa Maria, 97105-900 Santa Maria, RS, Brazil
Received 5 July 2012; Accepted 17 October 2012
Academic Editor: Leon Bach
Copyright © 2012 Adriana Santi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Razvi, A. Shakoor, M. Vanderpump, J. U. Weaver, and S. H. S. Pearce, “The influence of age on the relationship between subclinical hypothyroidism and ischemic heart disease: a metaanalysis,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 93, no. 8, pp. 2998–3007, 2008.
- W. J. Hueston and W. S. Pearson, “Subclinical hypothyroidism and the risk of hypercholesterolemia,” Annals of Family Medicine, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 351–355, 2004.
- D. Donnini, F. S. Ambesi-Impiombato, and F. Curcio, “Thyrotropin stimulates production of procoagulant and vasodilatative factors in human aortic endothelial cells,” Thyroid, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 517–521, 2003.
- A. Becerra, D. Bellido, A. Luengo, G. Piédrola, and D. A. De Luis, “Lipoprotein(a) and other lipoproteins in hypothyroid patients before and after thyroid replacement therapy,” Clinical Nutrition, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 319–322, 1999.
- S. A. Wiseman, J. T. Powell, S. E. Humphries, and M. Press, “The magnitude of the hypercholesterolemia of hypothyroidism is associated with variation in the low density lipoprotein receptor gene,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 108–112, 1993.
- M. M. Mya and W. S. Aronow, “Subclinical hypothyroidism is associated with coronary artery disease in older persons,” Journals of Gerontology A, vol. 57, no. 10, pp. M658–M659, 2002.
- K. W. Geul, I. L. L. Van Sluisveld, D. E. Grobbee et al., “The importance of thyroid microsomal antibodies in the development of elevated serum TSH in middle-aged women: associations with serum lipids,” Clinical Endocrinology, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 275–280, 1993.
- A. A. Al-Tonsi, A. A. Abdel-Gayoum, and M. Saad, “The secondary dyslipidemia and deranged serum phosphate concentration in thyroid disorders,” Experimental and Molecular Pathology, vol. 76, no. 2, pp. 182–187, 2004.
- M. J. Coria, A. I. Pastrán, and M. S. Gimenez, “Serum oxidative stress parameters of women with hypothyroidism,” Acta Biomedica de l'Ateneo Parmense, vol. 80, no. 2, pp. 135–139, 2009.
- M. Messarah, A. Boumendjel, A. Chouabia et al., “Influence of thyroid dysfunction on liver lipid peroxidation and antioxidant status in experimental rats,” Experimental and Toxicologic Pathology, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 301–310, 2010.
- L. Dumitriu, R. Bartoc, H. Ursu, M. Purice, and V. Ionescu, “Significance of high levels of serum malonyl dialdehyde (MDA) and ceruloplasmin (CP) in hyper- and hypothyroidism.,” Endocrinologie, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 35–38, 1988.
- D. Konukoglu, M. Ercan, and H. Hatemi, “Plasma viscosity in female patients with hypothyroidism: effects of oxidative stress and cholesterol,” Clinical Hemorheology and Microcirculation, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 107–113, 2002.
- A. N. Torun, S. Kulaksizoglu, M. Kulaksizoglu, B. O. Pamuk, E. Isbilen, and N. B. Tutuncu, “Serum total antioxidant status and lipid peroxidation marker malondialdehyde levels in overt and subclinical hypothyroidism,” Clinical Endocrinology, vol. 70, no. 3, pp. 469–474, 2009.
- S. Bouderbala, M. Lamri-Senhadji, J. Prost, M. A. Lacaille-Dubois, and M. Bouchenak, “Changes in antioxidant defense status in hypercholesterolemic rats treated with Ajuga iva,” Phytomedicine, vol. 15, no. 6-7, pp. 453–461, 2008.
- N. Nanda, Z. Bobby, and A. Hamide, “Oxidative stress and protein glycation in primary hypothyroidism. Male/female difference,” Clinical and Experimental Medicine, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 101–108, 2008.
- L. Kebapcilar, B. Akinci, F. Bayraktar et al., “Plasma thiobarbituric acid-reactive substance levels in subclinical hypothyroidism,” Medical Principles and Practice, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 432–436, 2007.
- Z. Serdar, K. Aslan, M. Dirican, E. Sarandöl, D. Yeşilbursa, and A. Serdar, “Lipid and protein oxidation and antioxidant status in patients with angiographically proven coronary artery disease,” Clinical Biochemistry, vol. 39, no. 8, pp. 794–803, 2006.
- K. Das and G. B. N. Chainy, “Thyroid Hormone influences antioxidant defense system in adult rat brain,” Neurochemical Research, vol. 29, no. 9, pp. 1755–1766, 2004.
- S. Senthil, R. M. Veerappan, M. Ramakrishna Rao, and K. V. Pugalendi, “Oxidative stress and antioxidants in patients with cardiogenic shock complicating acute myocardial infarction,” Clinica Chimica Acta, vol. 348, no. 1-2, pp. 131–137, 2004.
- B. Mackness, P. N. Durrington, and M. I. Mackness, “The paraoxonase gene family and coronary heart disease,” Current Opinion in Lipidology, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 357–362, 2002.
- T. Quéméneur, F. Martin-Nizard, A. Kandoussi et al., “PON1, a new biomarker of cardiovascular disease, is low in patients with systemic vasculitis,” Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 149–155, 2007.
- R. Olivero-David, A. Schultz-Moreira, M. Vázquez-Velasco et al., “Effects of Nori- and Wakame-enriched meats with or without supplementary cholesterol on arylesterase activity, lipaemia and lipoproteinaemia in growing Wistar rats,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 106, pp. 1476–1486, 2011.
- R. Luboshitzky, A. Aviv, P. Herer, and L. Lavie, “Risk factors for cardiovascular disease in women with subclinical hypothyroidism,” Thyroid, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 421–425, 2002.
- P. S. Bachorik and J. J. Albers, “Precipitation methods for quantification of lipoproteins,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 129, pp. 78–100, 1986.
- W. T. Friedewald, R. I. Levy, and D. S. Fredrickson, “Estimation of the concentration of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in plasma, without use of the preparative ultracentrifuge,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 499–502, 1972.
- A. M. Jentzsch, H. Bachmann, P. Fürst, and H. K. Biesalski, “Improved analysis of malondialdehyde in human body fluids,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 251–256, 1996.
- H. Aebi, “Catalase in vitro,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 105, pp. 121–126, 1984.
- J. M. McCord and I. Fridovich, “Superoxide dismutase. An enzymic function for erythrocuprein (hemocuprein),” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 244, no. 22, pp. 6049–6055, 1969.
- J. Bełtowski, G. Wójcicka, and A. Jamroz, “Differential effect of 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutarylcoenzyme a reductase inhibitors on plasma paraoxonase 1 activity in the rat,” Polish Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 54, no. 6, pp. 661–671, 2002.
- C. Huesca-Gómez, M. Franco, G. Luc et al., “Chronic hypothyroidism induces abnormal structure of high-density lipoproteins and impaired kinetics of apolipoprotein A-I in the rat,” Metabolism, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 443–450, 2002.
- Z. Efstathiadou, S. Bitsis, H. J. Milionis et al., “Lipid profile in subclinical hypothyroidism: is L-thyroxine substitution beneficial?” European Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 145, no. 6, pp. 705–710, 2001.
- M. Yildirimkaya, M. Özata, K. Yilmaz, C. Kilinç, M. A. Gündoǧan, and T. Kutluay, “Lipoprotein(a) concentration in subclinical hypothyroidism before and after levo-thyroxine therapy,” Endocrine Journal, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 731–736, 1996.
- S. Miura, M. Iitaka, H. Yoshimura et al., “Disturbed lipid metabolism in patients with subclinical hypothyroidism: effect of L-thyroxine therapy,” Internal Medicine, vol. 33, no. 7, pp. 413–417, 1994.
- S. Turhan, S. Sezer, G. Erden et al., “Plasma homocysteine concentrations and serum lipid profile as atherosclerotic risk factors in subclinical hypothyroidism,” Annals of Saudi Medicine, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 96–101, 2008.
- L. Lu, B. Wang, Z. Shan et al., “The correlation between thyrotropin and dyslipidemia in a population-based study,” Journal of Korean Medical Science, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 243–249, 2011.
- S. Taddei, N. Caraccio, A. Virdis et al., “Impaired endothelium-dependent vasodilatation in subclinical hypothyroidism: beneficial effect of levothyroxine therapy,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 88, no. 8, pp. 3731–3737, 2003.
- W. Y. Lee, J. Y. Suh, E. J. Rhee, J. S. Park, K. C. Sung, and S. W. Kim, “Plasma CRP, apolipoprotein A-1, apolipoprotein B and Lp(a) levels according to thyroid function status,” Archives of Medical Research, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 540–545, 2004.
- A. Iqbal, R. Jorde, and Y. Figenschau, “Serum lipid levels in relation to serum thyroid-stimulating hormone and the effect of thyroxine treatment on serum lipid levels in subjects with subclinical hypothyroidism: the Tromsø Study,” Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 260, no. 1, pp. 53–61, 2006.
- P. Venditti and S. Di Meo, “Thyroid hormone-induced oxidative stress,” Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 414–434, 2006.
- M. Messarah, M. S. Boulakoud, A. Boumendjel, C. Abdennour, and A. El Feki, “The impact of thyroid activity variations on some oxidizing-stress parameters in rats,” Comptes Rendus—Biologies, vol. 330, no. 2, pp. 107–112, 2007.
- K. Asayama and K. Kato, “Oxidative muscular injury and its relevance to hyperthyroidism,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 293–303, 1990.
- M. López-Torres, M. Romero, and G. Barja, “Effect of thyroid hormones on mitochondrial oxygen free radical production and DNA oxidative damage in the rat heart,” Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, vol. 168, no. 1-2, pp. 127–134, 2000.
- M. M. M. F. Duarte, R. N. Moresco, T. Duarte et al., “Oxidative stress in hypercholesterolemia and its association with Ala16Val superoxide dismutase gene polymorphism,” Clinical Biochemistry, vol. 43, no. 13-14, pp. 1118–1123, 2010.
- N. Nanda, Z. Bobby, A. Hamide, B. C. Koner, and M. G. Sridhar, “Association between oxidative stress and coronary lipid risk factors in hypothyroid women is independent of body mass index,” Metabolism: Clinical and Experimental, vol. 56, no. 10, pp. 1350–1355, 2007.
- A. Santi, M. M. M. F. Duarte, R. N. Moresco et al., “Association between thyroid hormones, lipids and oxidative stress biomarkers in overt hypothyroidism,” Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 48, no. 11, pp. 1635–1639, 2010.
- M. Aviram, M. Rosenblat, C. L. Bisgaier, R. S. Newton, S. L. Primo-Parmo, and B. N. La Du, “Paraoxonase inhibits high-density lipoprotein oxidation and preserves its functions: a possible peroxidative role for paraoxonase,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 101, no. 8, pp. 1581–1590, 1998.
- K. Sumegová, P. Blažíček, I. Waczulíková, I. Žitňanová, and Z. Ďuračková, “Activity of paraoxonase 1 (PON1) and its relationship to markers of lipoprotein oxidation in healthy Slovaks,” Acta Biochimica Polonica, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 783–787, 2006.
- E. Cebeci, F. Alibaz-Oner, M. Usta, S. Yurdakul, and M. Erguney, “Evaluation of oxidative stress, the activities of paraoxonase and arylesterase in patients with subclinical hypothyroidism,” Journal of Investigative Medicine, vol. 60, pp. 23–28, 2012.
- G. Baskol, H. Atmaca, F. Tanriverdi, M. Baskol, D. Kocer, and F. Bayram, “Oxidative stress and enzymatic antioxidant status in patients with hypothyroidism before and after treatment,” Experimental and Clinical Endocrinology and Diabetes, vol. 115, no. 8, pp. 522–526, 2007.
- Y. Ikeda, M. Inoue, T. Suehiro, K. Arii, Y. Kumon, and K. Hashimoto, “Low human paraoxonase predicts cardiovascular events in Japanese patients with type 2 diabetes,” Acta Diabetologica, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 239–242, 2009.
- D. M. Shih and A. J. Lusis, “The roles of PON1 and PON2 in cardiovascular disease and innate immunity,” Current Opinion in Lipidology, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 288–292, 2009.
- L. H. Duntas, E. Mantzou, and D. A. Koutras, “Circulating levels of oxidized low-density lipoprotein in overt and mild hypothyroidism,” Thyroid, vol. 12, no. 11, pp. 1003–1007, 2002.