- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Endocrinology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 862892, 5 pages
Long-Term Followup of Adolescent and Young Adult Females with Hypergonadotropic Hypogonadism
2nd Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Athens Medical School, Aretaieio Hospital, 115 26 Athens, Greece
Received 1 September 2011; Accepted 18 October 2011
Academic Editor: Gil Guerra-Junior
Copyright © 2012 Tsimaris Pantelis et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. Deligeoroglou and P. Tsimaris, “Menstrual disturbances in puberty,” Best Practice and Research: Clinical Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 157–171, 2010.
- F. Albright, P. H. Smith, and R. Fraser, “A syndrome characterized by primary ovarian insufficiency and decreased stature,” American Journal of the Medical Sciences, vol. 204, pp. 625–648, 1942.
- A. R. Cooper, V. L. Baker, E. W. Sterling, M. E. Ryan, T. K. Woodruff, and L. M. Nelson, “The time is now for a new approach to primary ovarian insufficiency,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 95, no. 6, pp. 1890–1897, 2011.
- L. M. Nelson, “Clinical practice. Primary ovarian insufficiency,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 360, no. 6, pp. 606–614, 2009.
- T. Pun and V. Chandurkar, “Growth hormone deficiency, short stature, and Juvenile rheumatoid arthritis in a patient with autoimmune polyglandular syndrome type 1: case report and brief review of the literature,” ISRN Endocrinology, vol. 2011, Article ID 462759, 5 pages, 2011.
- E. Deligeoroglou, N. Athanasopoulos, P. Tsimaris, K. D. Dimopoulos, N. Vrachnis, and G. Creatsas, “Evaluation and management of adolescent amenorrhea,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1205, pp. 23–32, 2010.
- L. M. Nelson, “Spontaneous premature ovarian failure: young women, special needs,” Menopause Management, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 1–6, 2001.
- J. N. Anasti, S. N. Kalantaridou, L. M. Kimzey, R. A. Defensor, and L. M. Nelson, “Bone loss in young women with karyotypically normal spontaneous premature ovarian failure,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 12–15, 1998.
- Z. R. Hubayter, V. Popat, V. H. Vanderhoof et al., “A prospective evaluation of antral follicle function in women with 46,XX spontaneous primary ovarian insufficiency,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 94, no. 5, pp. 1769–1774, 2010.
- Committee opinion no. 502, “Primary ovarian insufficiency in the adolescent,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 118, no. 3, pp. 741–745, 2011.
- A. A. Groff, S. N. Covington, L. R. Halverson et al., “Assessing the emotional needs of women with spontaneous premature ovarian failure,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 83, no. 6, pp. 1734–1741, 2005.
- S. N. Covington, P. E. Martinez, V. Popat, R. Nandagopal, M. Ryan, and L. M. Nelson, “The psychology of antecedents to adult reproductive disorders in adolescent girls,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1135, pp. 155–162, 2008.
- S. N. Covington, P. J. Hillard, E. W. Sterling, and L. M. Nelson, “A family systems approach to primary ovarian insufficiency,” Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 137–141, 2011.
- C. A. Lissett and S. M. Shalet, “The impact of dose and route of estrogen administration on the somatotropic axis in normal women,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 88, no. 10, pp. 4668–4672, 2003.
- M. Canonico, E. Oger, G. Plu-Bureau et al., “Hormone therapy and venous thromboembolism among postmenopausal women: impact of the route of estrogen administration and progestogens: the ESTHER study,” Circulation, vol. 115, no. 7, pp. 840–845, 2007.
- A. D. Divasta and C. M. Gordon, “Hormone replacement therapy and the adolescent,” Current Opinion in Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 363–368, 2010.
- K. Maclaran, E. Horner, and N. Panay, “Premature ovarian failure: long-term sequelae,” Menopause International, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 38–41, 2010.
- C. K. Welt, “Primary ovarian insufficiency: a more accurate term for premature ovarian failure,” Clinical Endocrinology, vol. 68, no. 4, pp. 499–509, 2008.
- J. J. De Caro, C. Dominguez, and S. L. Sherman, “Reproductive health of adolescent girls who carry the FMR1 premutation: expected phenotype based on current knowledge of fragile X-associated primary ovarian insufficiency,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1135, pp. 99–111, 2008.
- M. P. Warren, B. M. K. Biller, and M. M. Shangold, “A new clinical option for hormone replacement therapy in women with secondary amenorrhea: effects of cyclic administration of progesterone from the sustained-release vaginal gel crinone (4% and 8%) on endometrial morphologic features and withdrawal bleeding,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 180, no. 1 I, pp. 42–48, 1999.
- Y. M. Van Kasteren and J. Schoemaker, “Premature ovarian failure: a systematic review on therapeutic interventions to restore ovarian function and achieve pregnancy,” Human Reproduction Update, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 483–492, 1999.
- J. H. Check, “Mild ovarian stimulation,” Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics, vol. 24, no. 12, pp. 621–627, 2007.
- M. De Vos, P. Devroey, and B. C. Fauser, “Primary ovarian insufficiency,” The Lancet, vol. 376, no. 9744, pp. 911–921, 2010.
- S. A. Krieg, M. B. Henne, and L. M. Westphal, “Obstetric outcomes in donor oocyte pregnancies compared with advanced maternal age in in vitro fertilization pregnancies,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 65–70, 2008.
- J. G. Van Der Stege, H. Groen, S. J. N. Van Zadelhoff et al., “Decreased androgen concentrations and diminished general and sexual well-being in women with premature ovarian failure,” Menopause, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 23–31, 2008.
- A. Graziottin and R. Basson, “Sexual dysfunction in women with premature menopause,” Menopause, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 766–777, 2004.
- V. B. Popat, K. A. Calis, V. H. Vanderhoof et al., “Bone mineral density in estrogen-deficient young women,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 94, no. 7, pp. 2277–2283, 2009.
- North American Menopause Society, “The role of calcium in peri- and postmenopausal women: 2006 position statement of the North American Menopause Society,” Menopause, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 862–877, 2006.
- P. M. Crofton, N. Evans, L. E. Bath et al., “Physiological versus standard sex steroid replacement in young women with premature ovarian failure: effects on bone mass acquisition and turnover,” Clinical Endocrinology, vol. 73, no. 6, pp. 707–714, 2010.
- T. Gordon, W. B. Kannel, M. C. Hjortland, and P. M. McNamara, “Menopause and coronary heart disease. The Framingham study,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 89, no. 2, pp. 157–161, 1978.
- B. K. Jacobsen, S. F. Knutsen, and G. E. Fraser, “Age at natural menopause and total mortality and mortality from ischemic heart disease: the Adventist health study,” Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 303–307, 1999.
- S. N. Kalantaridou, K. K. Naka, E. Papanikolaou et al., “Impaired endothelial function in young women with premature ovarian failure: normalization with hormone therapy,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 89, no. 8, pp. 3907–3913, 2004.
- E. A. H. Knauff, H. E. Westerveld, A. J. Goverde et al., “Lipid profile of women with premature ovarian failure,” Menopause, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 919–923, 2008.
- E. C. Corrigan, L. M. Nelson, V. K. Bakalov et al., “Effects of ovarian failure and X-chromosome deletion on body composition and insulin sensitivity in young women,” Menopause, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 911–916, 2006.
- R. Eshtiaghi, A. Esteghamati, and M. Nakhjavani, “Menopause is an independent predictor of metabolic syndrome in Iranian women,” Maturitas, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 262–266, 2010.
- V. Mihmanli, I. Mihmanli, F. Kantarci, T. Aydin, M. H. Yilmaz, and G. Ogut, “Carotid pulsatility indices in surgical menopause,” Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics, vol. 266, no. 2, pp. 96–100, 2002.
- J. P. Langrish, N. L. Mills, L. E. Bath et al., “Cardiovascular effects of physiological and standard sex steroid replacement regimens in premature ovarian failure,” Hypertension, vol. 53, no. 5, pp. 805–811, 2009.