- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Endocrinology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 919650, 7 pages
Radiofrequency Ablation of Thyroid Nodules: Basic Principles and Clinical Application
Department of Radiology and Research Institute of Radiology, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul 138-736, Republic of Korea
Received 13 April 2012; Accepted 9 October 2012
Academic Editor: Ajai Kumar Srivastav
Copyright © 2012 Ji Hoon Shin et al. This is an open access paper distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. J. Moon, J. H. Baek, S. L. Jung et al., “Ultrasonography and the ultrasound-based management of thyroid nodules: consensus statement and recommendations,” Korean Journal of Radiology, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 1–14, 2011.
- J. H. Baek, J. H. Lee, R. Valcavi, C. M. Pacella, H. Rhim, and D. G. Na, “Thermal ablation for benign thyroid nodules: radiofrequency and laser,” Korean Journal of Radiology, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 525–540, 2011.
- E. J. Ha, J. H. Baek, and J. H. Lee, “The efficacy and complications of radiofrequency ablation of thyroid nodules,” Current Opinion in Endocrinology, Diabetes and Obesity, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 310–314, 2011.
- L. J. Shemen and E. W. Strong, “Complications after total thyroidectomy,” Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery, vol. 101, no. 4, pp. 472–475, 1989.
- E. Papini, R. Guglielmi, G. Bizzarri et al., “Treatment of benign cold thyroid nodules: a randomized clinical trial of percutaneous laser ablation versus levothyroxine therapy or follow-up,” Thyroid, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 229–235, 2007.
- Y. J. Kim, J. H. Baek, E. J. Ha et al., “Cystic versus predominantly cystic thyroid nodules: efficacy of ethanol ablation and analysis of related factors,” European Radiology, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 1573–1578, 2012.
- L. Hegedüs, “Therapy: a new nonsurgical therapy option for benign thyroid nodules?” Nature Reviews Endocrinology, vol. 5, no. 9, pp. 476–478, 2009.
- R. Diaz, “Thyroid: HIFU for thyroid nodule ablation,” Nature Reviews Endocrinology, vol. 7, article 631, 2011.
- O. Esnault, B. Franc, F. Ménégaux et al., “High-intensity focused ultrasound ablation of thyroid nodules: first human feasibility study,” Thyroid, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 965–973, 2011.
- B. Feng, P. Liang, Z. Cheng et al., “Ultrasound-guided percutaneous microwave ablation of benign thyroid nodules: experimental and clinical studies,” European Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 166, no. 6, pp. 1031–1037, 2012.
- H. Rhim, S. N. Goldberg, G. D. Dodd et al., “Essential techniques for successful radio-frequency thermal ablation of malignant hepatic tumors,” Radiographics, vol. 21, pp. S17–S35, 2001.
- S. N. Goldberg, “Radiofrequency tumor ablation: principles and techniques,” European Journal of Ultrasound, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 129–147, 2001.
- S. N. Goldberg, G. S. Gazelle, and P. R. Mueller, “Thermal ablation therapy for focal malignancy: a unified approach to underlying principles, techniques, and diagnostic imaging guidance,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 174, no. 2, pp. 323–331, 2000.
- J. H. Baek, H. J. Jeong, Y. S. Kim, M. S. Kwak, and D. Lee, “Radiofrequency ablation for an autonomously functioning thyroid nodule,” Thyroid, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 675–676, 2008.
- J. H. Baek, Y. S. Kim, D. Lee, J. Y. Huh, and J. H. Lee, “Benign predominantly solid thyroid nodules: prospective study of efficacy of sonographically guided radiofrequency ablation versus control condition,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 194, no. 4, pp. 1137–1142, 2010.
- M. Deandrea, P. Limone, E. Basso et al., “US-guided percutaneous radiofrequency thermal ablation for the treatment of solid benign hyperfunctioning or compressive thyroid nodules,” Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 784–791, 2008.
- W. K. Jeong, J. H. Baek, H. Rhim et al., “Radiofrequency ablation of benign thyroid nodules: safety and imaging follow-up in 236 patients,” European Radiology, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 1244–1250, 2008.
- Y. S. Kim, H. Rhim, K. Tae, D. W. Park, and S. T. Kim, “Radiofrequency ablation of benign cold thyroid nodules: initial clinical experience,” Thyroid, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 361–367, 2006.
- J. H. Lee, Y. S. Kim, D. Lee, H. Choi, H. Yoo, and J. H. Baek, “Radiofrequency ablation (RFA) of benign thyroid nodules in patients with incompletely resolved clinical problems after ethanol ablation (EA),” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 34, no. 7, pp. 1488–1493, 2010.
- S. Spiezia, R. Garberoglio, F. Milone et al., “Thyroid nodules and related symptoms are stably controlled two years after radiofrequency thermal ablation,” Thyroid, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 219–225, 2009.
- J. Y. Sung, Y. S. Kim, H. Choi, J. H. Lee, and J. H. Baek, “Optimum first-line treatment technique for benign cystic thyroid nodules: ethanol ablation or radiofrequency ablation?” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 196, no. 2, pp. W210–W214, 2011.
- J. H. Baek, W. J. Moon, Y. S. Kim, J. H. Lee, and D. Lee, “Radiofrequency ablation for the treatment of autonomously functioning thyroid nodules,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 33, no. 9, pp. 1971–1977, 2009.
- J. H. Baek, Y. S. Kim, J. Y. Sung, H. Choi, and J. H. Lee, “Locoregional control of metastatic well-differentiated thyroid cancer by ultrasound-guided radiofrequency ablation,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 197, no. 2, pp. W331–W336, 2011.
- D. E. Dupuy, J. M. Monchik, C. Decrea, and L. Pisharodi, “Radiofrequency ablation of regional recurrence from well-differentiated thyroid malignancy,” Surgery, vol. 130, no. 6, pp. 971–977, 2001.
- J. M. Monchik, G. Donatini, J. Iannuccilli, and D. E. Dupuy, “Radiofrequency ablation and percutaneous ethanol injection treatment for recurrent local and distant well-differentiated thyroid carcinoma,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 244, no. 2, pp. 296–304, 2006.
- K. W. Park, J. H. Shin, B. K. Han, E. Y. Ko, and J. H. Chung, “Inoperable symptomatic recurrent thyroid cancers: preliminary result of radiofrequency ablation,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 18, no. 9, pp. 2564–2568, 2011.
- S. Spiezia, R. Garberoglio, C. Di Somma et al., “Efficacy and safety of radiofrequency thermal ablation in the treatment of thyroid nodules with pressure symptoms in elderly patients,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 55, no. 9, pp. 1478–1479, 2007.
- Y. S. Jin, J. H. Baek, S. K. Yoon et al., “One-step ethanol ablation of viscous cystic thyroid nodules,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 191, no. 6, pp. 1730–1733, 2008.
- D. G. Na, J. H. Lee, S. L. Jung et al., “Radiofrequency ablation of benign Thyroid nodules and recurrent Thyroid cancers: consensus statement and recommendations,” Korean Journal of Radiology, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 117–125, 2012.
- E. Papini, R. Guglielmi, G. Hosseim et al., “Ultrasound-guided laser ablation of incidental papillary thyroid microcarcinoma: a potential therapeutic approach in patients at surgical risk,” Thyroid, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 917–920, 2011.
- D. G. Na, J.-H. Kim, J. Y. Sung et al., “Core-needle biopsy is more useful than repeat fine-needle aspiration in thyroid nodules read as nondiagnostic or atypia of undetermined significance by the bethesda system for reporting thyroid cytopathology,” Thyroid, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 468–475, 2012.
- J. Y. Sung, D. G. Na, K. S. Kim et al., “Diagnostic accuracy of fine-needle aspiration versus core-needle biopsy for the diagnosis of thyroid malignancy in a clinical cohort,” European Radiology, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 1564–1572, 2012.
- O. Algin, E. Algin, G. Gokalp et al., “Role of duplex power Doppler ultrasound in differentiation between malignant and benign thyroid nodules,” Korean Journal of Radiology, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 594–602, 2010.
- S. H. Kim, C. S. Park, S. L. Jung et al., “Observer variability and the performance between faculties and residents: US criteria for benign and malignant thyroid nodules,” Korean Journal of Radiology, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 149–155, 2010.
- Y. H. Lee, D. W. Kim, H. S. In et al., “Differentiation between benign and malignant solid thyroid nodules using an US classification system,” Korean Journal of Radiology, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 559–567, 2011.
- W. J. Moon, L. J. So, H. L. Jeong et al., “Benign and malignant thyroid nodules: US differentiation—multicenter retrospective study,” Radiology, vol. 247, no. 3, pp. 762–770, 2008.
- H. K. Lim, J. H. Lee, E. J. Ha, J. Y. Sung, J. K. Kim, and J. H. Baek, “Radiofrequency ablation of benign nonfunctioning thyroid nodules: 4-year follow-up results in 111 patients,” European Radiology. In press.
- S. W. Jang, J. H. Baek, J. K. Kim et al., “How to manage the patients with unsatisfactory results after ethanol ablation for thyroid nodules: role of radiofrequency ablation,” European Journal of Radiology, vol. 81, no. 5, pp. 905–910, 2011.
- J. Y. Huh, J. H. Baek, H. Choi, J. K. Kim, and J. H. Lee, “Symptomatic benign thyroid nodules: efficacy of additional radiofrequency ablation treatment session—prospective randomized study,” Radiology, vol. 263, no. 3, pp. 909–916, 2012.
- J. H. Baek, J. H. Lee, J. Y. Sung et al., “Complications encountered in the treatment of benign thyroid nodules with us-guided radiofrequency ablation: a multicenter study,” Radiology, vol. 262, no. 1, pp. 335–342, 2012.
- R. Valcavi, F. Riganti, A. Bertani, D. Formisano, and C. M. Pacella, “Percutaneous laser ablation of cold benign thyroid nodules: a 3-year follow-up study in 122 patients,” Thyroid, vol. 20, no. 11, pp. 1253–1261, 2010.
- F. Giovagnorio and C. Martinoli, “Sonography of the cervical vagus nerve: normal appearance and abnormal findings,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 176, no. 3, pp. 745–749, 2001.
- Y. S. Kim, H. Rhim, D. Choi, and H. K. Lim, “Does artificial ascites induce the heat-sink phenomenon during percutaneous radiofrequency ablation of the hepatic subcapsular area?: an in vivo experimental study using a rabbit model,” Korean Journal of Radiology, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 43–50, 2009.
- D. G. Na, J. H. Lee, S. M. Kim, H. K. Lim, and J. H. Baek, “Unidirectional ablation electrode to minimize thermal injury during radiofrequency ablation: an experimental study in an ex vivo bovine liver model,” Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 935–940, 2011.
- S. Mulier, P. Mulier, Y. Ni et al., “Complications of radiofrequency coagulation of liver tumours,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 89, no. 10, pp. 1206–1222, 2002.
- M. L. Jeong, K. H. Joon, H. K. Se et al., “Comparison of wet radiofrequency ablation with dry radiofrequency ablation and radiofrequency ablation using hypertonic saline preinjection: ex vivo bovine liver,” Korean Journal of Radiology, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 258–265, 2004.
- J. Cha, D. Choi, M. W. Lee et al., “Radiofrequency ablation zones in Ex vivo bovine and in vivo porcine livers: comparison of the use of internally cooled electrodes and internally cooled wet electrodes,” CardioVascular and Interventional Radiology, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 1235–1240, 2009.
- D. W. Kim, “Sonography-guided ethanol ablation of a remnant solid component after radio-frequency ablation of benign solid thyroid nodules: a preliminary study,” American Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 1139–1143, 2012.
- Y. J. Zhang, H. H. Liang, M. S. Chen et al., “Hepatocellular carcinoma treated with radiofrequency ablation with or without ethanol injection: a prospective randomized trial,” Radiology, vol. 244, no. 2, pp. 599–607, 2007.