- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Endocrinology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 947187, 10 pages
Nerium oleander Distillate Improves Fat and Glucose Metabolism in High-Fat Diet-Fed Streptozotocin-Induced Diabetic Rats
1Pharmacology and Toxicology Department, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Selcuk University, 42070 Konya, Turkey
2Physiology Department, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Mehmet Akif Ersoy University, 15030 Burdur, Turkey
3Pathophysiology Department, Faculty of Medicine, Ankara University, 06100 Ankara, Turkey
4Molecular Biology Research and Development Unit, Faculty of Medicine, Ankara University, 06100 Ankara, Turkey
Received 31 July 2012; Revised 4 October 2012; Accepted 22 October 2012
Academic Editor: Daniela Jezova
Copyright © 2012 Ahmet Levent Bas et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- U. Özcan, Q. Cao, E. Yilmaz et al., “Endoplasmic reticulum stress links obesity, insulin action, and type 2 diabetes,” Science, vol. 306, no. 5695, pp. 457–461, 2004.
- B. Mlinar, J. Marc, A. Janež, and M. Pfeifer, “Molecular mechanisms of insulin resistance and associated diseases,” Clinica Chimica Acta, vol. 375, no. 1-2, pp. 20–35, 2007.
- J. L. Evans, I. D. Goldfine, B. A. Maddux, and G. M. Grodsky, “Are oxidative stress: activated signaling pathways mediators of insulin resistance and β-cell dysfunction?” Diabetes, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 2003.
- M. Yuan, N. Konstantopoulos, J. Lee et al., “Reversal of obesity- and diet-induced insulin resistance with salicylates or targeted disruption of Ikkβ,” Science, vol. 293, no. 5535, pp. 1673–1677, 2001.
- R. H. Eckel, S. M. Grundy, and P. Z. Zimmet, “The metabolic syndrome,” The Lancet, vol. 365, no. 9468, pp. 1415–1428, 2005.
- H. Bays, “Atherogenic dyslipidaemia in type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome: current and future treatment options,” British Journal of Diabetes and Vascular Disease, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 356–360, 2003.
- WHO, “Library cataloguing-in-publication data diabetes action now,” An initiative of the World Health Organization and the International Diabetes Federation, 2004.
- G. Y. Yeh, D. M. Eisenberg, T. J. Kaptchuk, and R. S. Phillips, “Systematic review of herbs and dietary supplements for glycemic control in diabetes,” Diabetes Care, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 1277–1294, 2003.
- A. Y. Oubré, T. J. Carlson, S. R. King, and G. M. Reaven, “From plant to patient: an ethnomedical approach to the identification of new drugs for the treatment of NIDDM,” Diabetologia, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 614–617, 1997.
- S. Begum, B. S. Siddiqui, R. Sultana, A. Zia, and A. Suria, “Bio-active cardenolides from the leaves of Nerium oleander,” Phytochemistry, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 435–438, 1999.
- R. O. Adome, J. W. Gachihi, B. Onegi, J. Tamale, and S. O. Apio, “The cardiotonic effect of the crude ethanolic extract of Nerium oleander in the isolated guinea pig hearts,” African health sciences, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 77–82, 2003.
- X. Wang, J. B. Plomley, R. A. Newman, and A. Cisneros, “LC/MS/MS analyses of an oleander extract for cancer treatment,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 72, no. 15, pp. 3547–3552, 2000.
- A. Ishikawa, H. Yamashita, M. Hiemori et al., “Characterization of inhibitors of postprandial hyperglycemia from the leaves of Nerium indicum,” Journal of Nutritional Science and Vitaminology, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 166–173, 2007.
- K. Srinivasan, B. Viswanad, L. Asrat, C. L. Kaul, and P. Ramarao, “Combination of high-fat diet-fed and low-dose streptozotocin-treated rat: a model for type 2 diabetes and pharmacological screening,” Pharmacological Research, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 313–320, 2005.
- D. R. Matthews, J. P. Hosker, A. S. Rudenski, B. A. Naylor, D. F. Treacher, and R. C. Turner, “Homeostasis model assessment: insulin resistance and β-cell function from fasting plasma glucose and insulin concentrations in man,” Diabetologia, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 412–419, 1985.
- C. Coetzee, R. A. Levendal, M. van de Venter, and C. L. Frost, “Anticoagulant effects of a cannabis extract in an obese rat model,” Phytomedicine, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 333–337, 2007.
- H. Shamoon, H. Duffy, N. Fleischer et al., “The effect of intensive treatment of diabetes on the development and progression of long-term complications in insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 329, no. 14, pp. 977–986, 1993.
- M. A. Creager, T. F. Lüscher, F. Cosentino, and J. A. Beckman, “Diabetes and vascular disease: pathophysiology, clinical consequences, and medical therapy: part I,” Circulation, vol. 108, no. 12, pp. 1527–1532, 2003.
- G. Basta, A. M. Schmidt, and R. de Caterina, “Advanced glycation end products and vascular inflammation: implications for accelerated atherosclerosis in diabetes,” Cardiovascular Research, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 582–592, 2004.
- H. Snieder, P. A. Sawtell, L. Ross, J. Walker, T. D. Spector, and R. D. G. Leslie, “HbA1c levels are genetically determined even in type 1 diabetes: evidence from healthy and diabetic twins,” Diabetes, vol. 50, no. 12, pp. 2858–2863, 2001.
- ADA, “Standards of medical care in diabetes,” Diabetes Care, vol. 27, pp. S15–S35, 2004.
- E. Bonora, G. Formentini, F. Calcaterra et al., “HOMA-estimated insulin resistance is an independent predictor of cardiovascular disease in type 2 diabetic subjects: prospective data from the verona diabetes complications study,” Diabetes Care, vol. 25, no. 7, pp. 1135–1141, 2002.
- T. J. Chahil and H. N. Ginsberg, “Diabetic dyslipidemia,” Endocrinology and Metabolism Clinics of North America, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 491–510, 2006.
- H. N. Ginsberg, “Diabetic dyslipidemia: basic mechanisms underlying the common hypertriglyceridemia and low HDL cholesterol levels,” Diabetes, vol. 45, supplement, no. 3, pp. S27–S30, 1996.
- M. H. Tan, D. Johns, and N. B. Glazer, “Pioglitazone reduces atherogenic index of plasma in patients with type 2 diabetes,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 50, no. 7, pp. 1184–1188, 2004.
- C. M. Alexander, P. B. Landsman, S. M. Teutsch, and S. M. Haffner, “NCEP-defined metabolic syndrome, diabetes, and prevalence of coronary heart disease among NHANES III participants age 50 years and older,” Diabetes, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 1210–1214, 2003.
- N. Sattar, A. Gaw, O. Scherbakova et al., “Metabolic syndrome with and without C-reactive protein as a predictor of coronary heart disease and diabetes in the west of Scotland coronary prevention study,” Circulation, vol. 108, no. 4, pp. 414–419, 2003.
- E. A. Brinton, S. Eisenberg, and J. L. Breslow, “Increased apo A-I and apo A-II fractional catabolic rate in patients with low high density lipoprotein-cholesterol levels with or without hypertriglyceridemia,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 536–544, 1991.
- C. J. Packard and J. Shepherd, “Lipoprotein heterogeneity and apolipoprotein B metabolism,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 17, no. 12, pp. 3542–3556, 1997.
- V. Hanak, J. Munoz, J. Teague, A. Stanley Jr., and V. Bittner, “Accuracy of the triglyceride to high-density lipoprotein cholesterol ratio for prediction of the low-density lipoprotein phenotype B,” The American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 94, no. 2, pp. 219–222, 2004.
- T. Mclaughlin, T. Reaven, F. Abbasi et al., “Is there a simple way to identify insulin-resistant individuals at increased risk of cardiovascular disease?” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 96, no. 3, pp. 399–404, 2005.
- L. Jia, S. Long, M. Fu et al., “Relationship between total cholesterol/high-density lipoprotein cholesterol ratio, triglyceride/high-density lipoprotein cholesterol ratio, and high-density lipoprotein subclasses,” Metabolism, vol. 55, no. 9, pp. 1141–1148, 2006.
- P. L. da Luz, D. Favarato, J. R. Faria-Neto Jr., P. Lemos, and A. C. P. Chagas, “High ratio of triglycerides to HDL-cholesterol predicts extensive coronary disease,” Clinics, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 427–432, 2008.
- S. Schwartz, P. Raskin, V. Fonseca, and J. F. Graveline, “Effect of troglitazone in insulin-treated patients with type II diabetes mellitus,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 338, no. 13, pp. 861–866, 1998.
- W. A. Banks, A. B. Coon, S. M. Robinson et al., “Triglycerides induce leptin resistance at the blood-brain barrier,” Diabetes, vol. 53, no. 5, pp. 1253–1260, 2004.
- P. Angulo and K. D. Lindor, “Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 17, supplement, no. 1, pp. S186–S190, 2002.
- C. E. Ruhl and J. E. Everharty, “Determinants of the association of overweight with elevated serum alanine aminotransferase activity in the United States,” Gastroenterology, vol. 124, no. 1, pp. 71–79, 2003.
- G. N. Ioannou, N. S. Weiss, E. J. Boyko, S. E. Kahn, and S. P. Lee, “Contribution of metabolic factors to alanine aminotransferase activity in persons with other causes of liver disease,” Gastroenterology, vol. 128, no. 3, pp. 627–635, 2005.
- A. J. G. Hanley, L. E. Wagenknecht, A. Festa, R. B. D'Agostino, and S. M. Haffner, “Alanine aminotransferase and directly measured insulin sensitivity in a multiethnic cohort: the insulin resistance atherosclerosis study,” Diabetes Care, vol. 30, no. 7, pp. 1819–1827, 2007.
- S. G. Oz, G. S. Guven, A. Kilicarslan, N. Calik, Y. Beyazit, and T. Sozen, “Evaluation of bone metabolism and bone mass in patients with type-2 diabetes mellitus,” Journal of the National Medical Association, vol. 98, no. 10, pp. 1598–1604, 2006.
- C. S. Thompson, T. Kuwana, S. B. Rosalki, and D. P. Mikhailidis, “Changes in serum alkaline phosphatase isoenzymes associated with diabetes mellitus, fasting and aging in the rat,” International Journal of Diabetes, vol. 1, pp. 31–39, 1993.
- A. Puig, M. Jimenez-Liñan, B. B. Lowell et al., “Regulation of PPARγ gene expression by nutrition and obesity in rodents,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 97, no. 11, pp. 2553–2561, 1996.
- P. Escher, O. Braissant, S. Basu-Modak, L. Michalik, W. Wahli, and B. Desvergne, “Rat PPARs: quantitative analysis in adult rat tissues and regulation in fasting and refeeding,” Endocrinology, vol. 142, no. 10, pp. 4195–4202, 2001.
- A. J. Vidal-Puig, R. V. Considine, M. Jimenez-Liñan et al., “Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gene expression in human tissues: effects of obesity, weight loss, and regulation by insulin and glucocorticoids,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 99, no. 10, pp. 2416–2422, 1997.
- H. Yki-Järvinen, “Thiazolidinediones,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 351, no. 11, pp. 1106–1118, 2004.
- S. R. Pyper, N. Viswakarma, S. Yu, and J. K. Reddy, “PPARalpha: energy combustion, hypolipidemia, inflammation and cancer,” Nuclear receptor signaling, vol. 8, p. e002, 2010.
- Y. X. Wang, C. H. Lee, S. Tiep et al., “Peroxisome-proliferator-activated receptor δ activates fat metabolism to prevent obesity,” Cell, vol. 113, no. 2, pp. 159–170, 2003.