- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Endocrinology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 962012, 12 pages
Intermittent Fasting Modulation of the Diabetic Syndrome in Streptozotocin-Injected Rats
1Laboratoire de Technologie Alimentaire et Nutrition, Université de Mostaganem, 1070 Mostaganem, Algeria
2Laboratory of Experimental Hormonology, Université Libre de Bruxelles, 808 Route de Lennik, 1070 Brussels, Belgium
3Laboratory of Pharmacology, Université Libre de Bruxelles, 808 Route de Lennik, 1070 Brussels, Belgium
Received 26 July 2011; Revised 9 October 2011; Accepted 13 October 2011
Academic Editor: A. N. Balamurugan
Copyright © 2012 Louiza Belkacemi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. J. Arciero, M. D. Vukovich, J. O. Holloszy, S. B. Racette, and W. M. Kohrt, “Comparison of short-term diet and exercise on insulin action in individuals with abnormal glucose tolerance,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 86, no. 6, pp. 1930–1935, 1999.
- T. P. Markovic, L. V. Campbell, S. Balasubramanian et al., “Beneficial effect on average lipid levels from energy restriction and fat loss in obese individuals with or without type 2 diabetes,” Diabetes Care, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 695–700, 1998.
- A. C. Gazdag, T. J. Wetter, R. T. Davidson et al., “Lower calorie intake enhances muscle insulin action and reduces hexosamine levels,” The American Journal of Physiology, vol. 278, no. 2, pp. R504–R512, 2000.
- T. J. Wetter, A. C. Gazdag, D. J. Dean, and G. D. Cartee, “Effect of calorie restriction on in vivo glucose metabolism by individual tissues in rats,” The American Journal of Physiology, vol. 276, pp. 728–738, 1999.
- D. E. Kelley, R. Wing, C. Buonocore, J. Sturis, K. Polonsky, and M. Fitzsimmons, “Relative effects of calorie restriction and weight loss in noninsulin-dependent diabetes mellitus,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 77, no. 5, pp. 1287–1293, 1993.
- M. P. Christiansen, P. A. Linfoot, R. A. Neese, and M. K. Hellerstein, “Effect of dietary energy restriction on glucose production and substrate utilization in type 2 diabetes,” Diabetes, vol. 49, no. 10, pp. 1691–1699, 2000.
- J. K. Kirk, D. E. Graves, T. E. Craven, E. W. Lipkin, M. Austin, and K. L. Margolis, “Restricted-carbohydrate diets in patients with type 2 diabetes: a meta-analysis,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 108, no. 1, pp. 91–100, 2008.
- D. S. Weigle, P. B. Duell, W. E. Connor, R. A. Steiner, M. R. Soules, and J. L. Kuijper, “Effect of fasting, refeeding, and dietary fat restriction on plasma leptin levels,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 561–565, 1997.
- R. M. Anson, Z. Guo, R. de Cabo et al., “Intermittent fasting dissociates beneficial effects of dietary restriction on glucose metabolism and neuronal resistance to injury from calorie intake,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 100, no. 10, pp. 6216–6220, 2003.
- K. Oishi, N. Ohkura, J. Matsuda, and N. Ishida, “Food deprivation induces adipose plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 (PAI-1) expression without accumulation of plasma PAI-1 in genetically obese and diabetic db/db mice,” Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 98, no. 4, pp. 864–870, 2007.
- L. Belkacemi, G. Selselet-Attou, A. Sener, and W. J. Malaisse, “Intermittent fasting modulation of the diabetic syndrome in sand rats. I. Background information and experimental design,” Metabolic and Functional Research on Diabetes, vol. 2, pp. 5–8, 2009.
- L. Belkacemi, G. Selselet-Attou, K. Louchami, A. Sener, and W. J. Malaisse, “Intermittent fasting modulation of the diabetic syndrome in sand rats. II. In vivo investigations,” International Journal of Molecular Medicine, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 759–765, 2010.
- L. Belkacemi, G. Selselet-Attou, N. Bulur, K. Louchami, A. Sener, and W. J. Malaisse, “Intermittent fasting modulation of the diabetic syndrome in sand rats. III. Post-mortem investigations,” International Journal of Molecular Medicine, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 95–102, 2011.
- F. Horio, S. Teradaira, T. Imamura et al., “The HND mouse, a nonobese model of type 2 diabetes mellitus with impaired insulin secretion,” European Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 153, no. 6, pp. 971–979, 2005.
- P. P. Lam, Y. M. Leung, L. Sheu et al., “Transgenic mouse overexpressing syntaxin-1A as a diabetes model,” Diabetes, vol. 54, no. 9, pp. 2744–2754, 2005.
- H. U. Bergmeyer and E. Berndt, “Glucose determination with glucose oxidase and peroxidase,” in Methods of Enzymatic Analysis, H. U. Bergmeyer, Ed., pp. 1205–1215, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1974.
- V. Leclercq-Meyer, J. Marchand, and M. C. Woussen-Colle, “Multiple effects of leucine on glucagon, insulin, and somatostatin secretion from the perfused rat pancreas,” Endocrinology, vol. 116, no. 3, pp. 1168–1174, 1985.
- F. Malaisse-Lagae and W. J. Malaisse, “Insulin release by pancreatic islets,” in Methods in Diabetes Research, J. Larner and S. Pohl, Eds., vol. 1, part B, pp. 147–152, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1984.
- W. J. Malaisse, C. Maggetto, V. Leclercq-Meyer, and A. Sener, “Interference of glycogenolysis with glycolysis in pancreatic islets from glucose-infused rats,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 91, no. 2, pp. 432–436, 1993.
- S. M. Hsu, L. Raine, and H. Fanger, “Use of avidin-biotin-peroxidase complex (ABC) in immunoperoxidase techniques: a comparison between ABC and unlabeled antibody (PAP) procedures,” Journal of Histochemistry and Cytochemistry, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 577–580, 1981.
- M. Biarnés, M. Montolio, V. Nacher, M. Raurell, J. Soler, and E. Montanya, “β-cell death and mass in syngeneically transplanted islets exposed to short- and long-term hyperglycemia,” Diabetes, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 66–72, 2002.
- S. Morimoto, C. A. Mendoza-Rodríguez, M. Hiriart, M. E. Larrieta, P. Vital, and M. A. Cerbón, “Protective effect of testosterone on early apoptotic damage induced by streptozotocin in rat pancreas,” Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 187, no. 2, pp. 217–224, 2005.
- Z. Li, F. A. Karlsson, and S. Sandler, “Islet loss and alpha cell expansion in type 1 diabetes induced by multiple low-dose streptozotocin administration in mice,” Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 165, no. 1, pp. 93–99, 2000.
- S. Lenzen, “The mechanisms of alloxan- and streptozotocin-induced diabetes,” Diabetologia, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 216–226, 2008.
- H. E. Miley, E. A. Sheader, P. D. Brown, and L. Best, “Glucose-induced swelling in rat pancreatic β-cells,” Journal of Physiology, vol. 504, no. 1, pp. 191–198, 1997.
- J. C. Jonas, A. Sharma, W. Hasenkamp et al., “Chronic hyperglycemia triggers loss of pancreatic β cell differentiation in an animal model of diabetes,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 274, no. 20, pp. 14112–14121, 1999.
- G. C. Weir, D. R. Laybutt, H. Kaneto, S. Bonner-Weir, and A. Sharma, “β-cell adaptation and decompensation during the progression of diabetes,” Diabetes, vol. 50, supplement 1, pp. S154–S159, 2001.
- Z. Liu and J. F. Habener, “Alpha cells beget beta cells,” Cell, vol. 138, no. 3, pp. 424–426, 2009.
- P. Collombat, X. Xu, P. Ravassard et al., “The ectopic expression of Pax4 in the mouse pancreas converts progenitor cells into α and subsequently β cells,” Cell, vol. 138, no. 3, pp. 449–462, 2009.