- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Endocrinology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 964876, 7 pages
Clinical and Laboratorial Features That May Differentiate 46,XY DSD due to Partial Androgen Insensitivity and 5α-Reductase Type 2 Deficiency
1Interdisciplinary Group for the Study of Sex Determination and Differentiation (GIEDDS), Faculty of Medical Sciences (FCM), State University of Campinas (UNICAMP), 13083-970 Campinas, SP, Brazil
2Pediatric Endocrinology Unit, Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medical Sciences (FCM), State University of Campinas (UNICAMP), 13083-970 Campinas, SP, Brazil
3Center of Molecular Biology and Genetic Engineering (CBMEG), State University of Campinas (UNICAMP), 13083-875 Campinas, SP, Brazil
4Department of Medical Genetics, Faculty of Medical Sciences (FCM), State University of Campinas (UNICAMP), 13083-970 Campinas, SP, Brazil
Received 31 July 2011; Revised 7 October 2011; Accepted 3 November 2011
Academic Editor: Olaf Hiort
Copyright © 2012 Nélio Neves Veiga-Junior et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. A. Lee, C. P. Houk, S. F. Ahmed et al., “Consensus statement on management of intersex disorders,” Pediatrics, vol. 118, no. 2, pp. e488–e500, 2006.
- J. Imperato-McGinley and Y. S. Zhu, “Androgens and male physiology the syndrome of 5α-reductase-2 deficiency,” Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, vol. 198, no. 1-2, pp. 51–59, 2002.
- I. A. Hughes and A. Deeb, “Androgen resistance,” Best Practice and Research, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 577–598, 2006.
- C. K. Cheon, “Practical approach to steroid 5alpha-reductase type 2 deficiency,” European Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 170, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 2010.
- A. Galani, S. Kitsiou-Tzeli, C. Sofokleous, E. Kanavakis, and A. Kalpini-Mavrou, “Androgen insensitivity syndrome: clinical features and molecular defects,” Hormones, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 217–229, 2008.
- B. B. Mendonça, S. Domenice, I. J. P. Arnhold, and E. M. F. Costa, “46,XY disorders of sex development (DSD),” Clinical Endocrinology, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 173–187, 2009.
- N. Hussain, A. Chaghtai, C. D. Anthony Herndon, V. C. Herson, T. S. Rosenkrantz, and P. H. McKenna, “Hypospadias and early gestation growth restriction in infants,” Pediatrics, vol. 109, no. 3, pp. 473–478, 2002.
- Y. Morel, R. Rey, C. Teinturier et al., “Aetiological diagnosis of male sex ambiguity: a collaborative study,” European Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 161, no. 1, pp. 49–59, 2002.
- G. H. G. Sinnecker, O. Hiort, L. Dibbelt et al., “Phenotypic classification of male pseudohermaphroditism due to steroid 5α-reductase 2 deficiency,” American Journal of Medical Genetics, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 223–230, 1996.
- S. F. Ahmed, O. Khwaja, and I. A. Hughes, “The role of a clinical score in the assessment of ambiguous genitalia,” BJU International, vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 120–124, 2000.
- P. N. Gabrich, J. S. P. Vasconcelos, R. Damião, and E. A. Da Silva, “Penile anthropometry in Brazilian children and adolescents,” Jornal de Pediatria, vol. 83, no. 5, pp. 441–446, 2007.
- P. A. Tomasi, “Sex determination, differentiation, and identity,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 350, no. 21, pp. 2204–2204, 2004.
- J. H. Choi, G. H. Kim, E. J. Seo, K. S. Kim, S. H. Kim, and H. W. Yoo, “Molecular analysis of the AR and SRD5A2 genes in patients with 46,XY disorders of sex development,” Journal of Pediatric Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 545–553, 2008.
- A. B. Wisniewski and T. Mazur, “46,XY DSD with female or ambiguous external genitalia at birth due to androgen insensitivity syndrome, 5alpha-reductase-2 deficiency, or 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase deficiency: a review of quality of life outcomes,” International Journal of Pediatric Endocrinology, vol. 2009, Article ID 567430, 7 pages, 2009.
- E. P. Praveen, A. K. Desai, M. L. Khurana et al., “Gender identity of children and young adults with 5α-reductase deficiency,” Journal of Pediatric Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 173–179, 2008.
- L. Maimoun, P. Philibert, B. Cammas et al., “Phenotypical, biological, and molecular heterogeneity of 5α-reductase deficiency: an extensive international experience of 55 patients,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 96, no. 2, pp. 296–307, 2011.
- P. T. Cohen-Kettenis, “Gender change in 46,XY persons with 5alpha-reductase-2 deficiency and 17beta-oxysteroid dehydrogenase-3 deficiency,” Archives of Sexual Behavior, vol. 34, pp. 399–410, 2005.
- J. Imperato-McGinley, R. E. Peterson, T. Gautier, and E. Sturla, “Androgens and the evolution of male-gender identity among male pseudohermaphrodites with 5α-reductase deficiency,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 300, no. 22, pp. 1233–1237, 1979.
- J. Nakamoto and J. S. Fuqua, “Laboratory assays in pediatric endocrinology: common aspects,” Pediatric Endocrinology Reviews, vol. 5, supplement 1, pp. 539–554, 2007.
- M. M. George, M. I. New, S. Ten, C. Sultan, and A. Bhangoo, “The clinical and molecular heterogeneity of 17βHSD-3 enzyme deficiency,” Hormone Research in Paediatrics, vol. 74, no. 4, pp. 229–240, 2010.
- S. F. Ahmed, A. Cheng, L. Dovey et al., “Phenotypic features, androgen receptor binding, and mutational analysis in 278 clinical cases reported as androgen insensitivity syndrome,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 85, no. 2, pp. 658–665, 2000.
- A. L. M. Boehmer, H. Brüggenwirth, C. van Assendelft et al., “Genotype Versus phenotype in families with androgen insensitivity syndrome,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 86, no. 9, pp. 4151–4160, 2001.
- A. Vottero, R. Minari, I. Viani, et al., “Evidence for epigenetic abnormalities of the androgen receptor gene in foreskin from children with hypospadias,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 96, no. 12, pp. E1953–E1962, 2011.
- F. De Andrade Machado Neto, A. Moreno Morcillo, A. Trevas Maciel-Guerra, and G. Guerra-Junior, “Idiopathic male pseudohermaphroditism is associated with prenatal growth retardation,” European Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 164, no. 5, pp. 287–291, 2005.
- R. T. Scaramuzzo, A. Boldrini, S. Bertelloni, D. Parrini, L. Serino, and P. Ghirri, “Low testosterone levels in pre-term newborns born small for gestational age,” Journal of Endocrinological Investigation, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 215–217, 2010.
- S. M. Rhind, M. T. Rae, and A. Nigel Brooks, “Effects of nutrition and environmental factors on the fetal programming of the reproductive axis,” Reproduction, vol. 122, no. 2, pp. 205–214, 2001.
- G. Wu, F. W. Bazer, T. A. Cudd, C. J. Meininger, and T. E. Spencer, “Maternal nutrition and fetal development,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 134, no. 9, pp. 2169–2172, 2004.
- G. Schoeters, E. Den Hond, W. Dhooge, N. van Larebeke, and M. Leijs, “Endocrine disruptors and abnormalities of pubertal development,” Basic and Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, vol. 102, no. 2, pp. 168–175, 2008.
- S. Özen and S. Darcan, “Effects of environmental endocrine disruptors on pubertal development,” JCRPE, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 2011.
- T. M. Edwards, B. C. Moore, L. J. Guillette Jr., N. Olea, J. McLachlan, and D. Page, “Reproductive dysgenesis in wildlife: a comparative view,” International Journal of Andrology, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 109–121, 2006.
- F. Paris, C. Jeandel, N. Servant, and C. Sultan, “Increased serum estrogenic bioactivity in three male newborns with ambiguous genitalia: a potential consequence of prenatal exposure to environmental endocrine disruptors,” Environmental Research, vol. 100, no. 1, pp. 39–43, 2006.
- A. Nicoletti, L. Baldazzi, A. Balsamo et al., “SRD5A2 gene analysis in an Italian population of under-masculinized 46,XY subjects,” Clinical Endocrinology, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 375–380, 2005.