- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Endocrinology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 124958, 7 pages
Independent Association between Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease and Cardiovascular Disease: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
Department of Endocrinology & Metabolism, The Fifth Affiliated Hospital of Sun Yat-sen University, Zhuhai, Guangdong 519000, China
Received 7 December 2012; Revised 12 February 2013; Accepted 18 March 2013
Academic Editor: Kaori Minehira
Copyright © 2013 Hongyun Lu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. C. Farrell and C. Z. Larter, “Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: from steatosis to cirrhosis,” Hepatology, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. S99–S112, 2006.
- J. D. Browning, L. S. Szczepaniak, R. Dobbins et al., “Prevalence of hepatic steatosis in an urban population in the United States: impact of ethnicity,” Hepatology, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 1387–1395, 2004.
- J. A. Welsh, S. Karpen, and M. B. Vos, “Increasing prevalence of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease among United States adolescents, 1988–1994 to 2007–2010,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 162, no. 3, pp. 496–500, 2013.
- G. Bedogni, L. Miglioli, F. Masutti, C. Tiribelli, G. Marchesini, and S. Bellentani, “Prevalence of and risk factors for nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: the dionysos nutrition and liver study,” Hepatology, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 44–52, 2005.
- X. Hu, Y. Huang, Z. Bao, et al., “Prevalence and factors associated with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in shanghai work-units,” BMC Gastroenterol, vol. 12, article 123, 2012.
- X. Ying, Y. Jiang, Y. Qian, Z. Jiang, Z. Song, and C. Zhao, “Association between insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in Chinese adults,” Iranian Journal of Public Health, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 45–49, 2012.
- G. Musso, R. Gambino, S. Bo, and M. Cassader, “Should nonalcoholic fatty liver disease be included in the definition of metabolic syndrome? A cross-sectional comparison with adult treatment panel III criteria in nonobese nondiabetic subjects,” Diabetes Care, vol. 31, no. 562, p. 568, 2008.
- M. Hamaguchi, N. Takeda, T. Kojima, et al., “Identification of individuals with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease by the diagnostic criteria for the metabolic syndrome,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 18, no. 13, pp. 1508–1516, 2012.
- G. Targher, F. Marra, and G. Marchesini, “Increased risk of cardiovascular disease in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: causal effect or epiphenomenon?” Diabetologia, vol. 51, no. 11, pp. 1947–1953, 2008.
- S. Y. Choi, D. Kim, H. J. Kim et al., “The relation between non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and the risk of coronary heart disease in Koreans,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 104, no. 8, pp. 1953–1960, 2009.
- S. Treeprasertsuk, F. Lopez-Jimenez, and K. D. Lindor, “Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and the coronary artery disease,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 35–45, 2011.
- G. Targher, L. Bertolini, R. Padovani et al., “Relations between carotid artery wall thickness and liver histology in subjects with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease,” Diabetes Care, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 1325–1330, 2006.
- N. Villanova, S. Moscatiello, S. Ramilli et al., “Endothelial dysfunction and cardiovascular risk profile in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease,” Hepatology, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 473–480, 2005.
- D. Kim, S. Y. Choi, E. H. Park, et al., “Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease is associated with coronary artery calcification,” Hepatology, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 605–613, 2012.
- K. C. Sung, S. H. Wild, H. J. Kwag, and C. D. Byrne, “Fatty liver, insulin resistance, and features of metabolic syndrome: relationships with coronary artery calcium in 10, 153 people,” Diabetes Care, vol. 35, no. 11, pp. 2359–2364, 2012.
- B. J. Kim, N. H. Kim, B. S. Kim, and J. H. Kang, “The association between nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, metabolic syndrome and arterial stiffness in nondiabetic, nonhypertensive individuals,” Cardiology, vol. 123, no. 1, pp. 54–61, 2012.
- Y. Yilmaz, E. Senates, T. Ayyildiz, et al., “Characterization of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease unrelated to the metabolic syndrome,” European Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 411–418, 2012.
- Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults, “Executive summary of the third report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) expert panel on detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood cholesterol in adults (adult treatment panel III),” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 285, no. 19, pp. 2486–2497, 2001.
- W. Li, D. Ma, M. Liu et al., “Association between metabolic syndrome and risk of stroke: a meta-analysis of cohort studies,” Cerebrovascular Diseases, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 539–547, 2008.
- D. P. J. Osborn, C. A. Wright, G. Levy, M. B. King, R. Deo, and I. Nazareth, “Relative risk of diabetes, dyslipidaemia, hypertension and the metabolic syndrome in people with severe mental illnesses: systematic review and metaanalysis,” BMC Psychiatry, vol. 8, article 84, 2008.
- S. M. Boekholdt, B. J. Arsenault, S. Mora, et al., “Association of LDL cholesterol, non-HDL cholesterol, and apolipoprotein B levels with risk of cardiovascular events among patients treated with statins: a meta-analysis,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 307, pp. 1302–1309, 2012.
- S. Y. Choi, D. Kim, J. H. Kang et al., “Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease as a risk factor of cardiovascular disease: relation of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease to carotid atherosclerosis,” The Korean Journal of Hepatology, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 77–88, 2008.
- G. Targher, L. Bertolini, R. Padovani et al., “Increased prevalence of cardiovascular disease in Type 2 diabetic patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 403–409, 2006.
- G. Targher, L. Bertolini, R. Padovani et al., “Prevalence of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and its association with cardiovascular disease among type 2 diabetic patients,” Diabetes Care, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 1212–1218, 2007.
- G. Targher, L. Bertolini, F. Poli et al., “Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and risk of future cardiovascular events among type 2 diabetic patients,” Diabetes, vol. 54, no. 12, pp. 3541–3546, 2005.
- N. Assy, A. Djibre, R. Farah, M. Grosovski, and A. Marmor, “Presence of coronary plaques in patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease,” Radiology, vol. 254, no. 2, pp. 393–400, 2010.
- W. Nseir, A. Shalata, A. Marmor, and N. Assy, “Mechanisms linking nonalcoholic fatty liver disease with coronary artery disease,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 56, no. 12, pp. 3439–3449, 2011.
- M. Krawczyk, L. Bonfrate, and P. Portincasa, “Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease,” Best Practice and Research, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 695–708, 2010.
- H. Lu, L. Zeng, B. Liang, X. Shu, and D. Xie, “High prevalence of coronary heart sisease in type 2 diabetic patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease,” Archives of Medical Research, vol. 40, no. 7, pp. 571–575, 2009.
- G. Musso, R. Gambino, M. Cassader, and G. Pagano, “Meta-analysis: natural history of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) and diagnostic accuracy of non-invasive tests for liver disease severity,” Annals of Medicine, vol. 43, pp. 617–649, 2011.
- A. T. Alper, H. Hasdemir, S. Sahin et al., “The relationship between nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and the severity of coronary artery disease in patients with metabolic syndrome,” Türk Kardiyoloji Derneǧi Arşivi, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 376–381, 2008.
- G. Targher, “Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease as a determinant of cardiovascular disease,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 190, no. 1, pp. 18–19, 2007.
- O. Bayturan, E. M. Tuzcu, A. Lavoie et al., “The metabolic syndrome, its component risk factors, and progression of coronary atherosclerosis,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 170, no. 5, pp. 478–484, 2010.
- A. J. Dunkley, K. Charles, L. J. Gray, J. Camosso-Stefinovic, M. J. Davies, and K. Khunti, “Effectiveness of interventions for reducing diabetes and cardiovascular disease risk in people with metabolic syndrome: systematic review and mixed treatment comparison meta-analysis,” Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism, vol. 14, pp. 616–625, 2012.
- V. L. Misra, M. Khashab, and N. Chalasani, “Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and cardiovascular risk,” Current Gastroenterology Reports, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 50–55, 2009.
- M. Obika and H. Noguchi, “Diagnosis and evaluation of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease,” Experimental Diabetes Research, vol. 2012, Article ID 145754, 12 pages, 2012.
- G. Targher, C. P. Day, and E. Bonora, “Risk of cardiovascular disease in patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 363, no. 14, pp. 1341–1350, 2010.
- N. Ghouri, D. Preiss, and N. Sattar, “Liver enzymes, nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, and incident cardiovascular disease: a narrative review and clinical perspective of prospective data,” Hepatology, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 1156–1161, 2010.
- R. K. Schindhelm, M. Diamant, and R. J. Heine, “Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and cardiovascular disease risk,” Current Diabetes Reports, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 181–187, 2007.
- S. Moscatiello, R. di Luzio, A. S. Sasdelli, and G. Marchesini, “Managing the combination of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and metabolic syndrome,” Expert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy, vol. 12, pp. 657–2672, 2011.
- L. S. Bhatia, N. P. Curzen, and C. D. Byrne, “Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and vascular risk,” Current Opinion in Cardiology, vol. 27, pp. 20–428, 2012.