- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Endocrinology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 126084, 5 pages
Factors That Affect the False-Negative Outcomes of Fine-Needle Aspiration Biopsy in Thyroid Nodules
1Department of General Surgery, Istanbul Medical School, Istanbul University, 34493 Capa, Istanbul, Turkey
2General Surgery Clinic, Bagcilar Research and Training Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
3Department of Pathology, Istanbul Medical School, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
4Department of Radiology, Istanbul Medical School, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
5Department of Public Health, Istanbul Medical School, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
Received 3 December 2012; Revised 16 May 2013; Accepted 26 May 2013
Academic Editor: Stephen L. Atkin
Copyright © 2013 Orhan Agcaoglu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. Gharib, “Current evaluation of thyroid nodules,” Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 5, no. 9, pp. 365–369, 1994.
- M. Bouvet, J. I. Feldman, G. N. Gill et al., “Surgical management of the thyroid nodule: patient selection based on the results of fine-needle aspiration cytology,” Laryngoscope, vol. 102, no. 12, pp. 1353–1356, 1992.
- H. Gharib and J. R. Goellner, “Fine-needle aspiration biopsy of the thyroid: an appraisal,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 118, no. 4, pp. 282–289, 1993.
- S. N. Pinchot, H. Al-Wagih, S. Schaefer, R. Sippel, and H. Chen, “Accuracy of fine-needle aspiration biopsy for predicting neoplasm or carcinoma in thyroid nodules 4 cm or larger,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 144, no. 7, pp. 649–654, 2009.
- Y. Y. Tee, A. J. Lowe, C. A. Brand, and R. T. Judson, “Fine-needle aspiration may miss a third of all malignancy in palpable thyroid nodules: a comprehensive literature review,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 246, no. 5, pp. 714–720, 2007.
- Z. W. Baloch, M. J. Sack, G. H. Hu, V. A. Livolsi, and P. K. Gupta, “Fine-needle aspiration of thyroid: an institutional experience,” Thyroid, vol. 8, no. 7, pp. 565–569, 1998.
- C. Carmeci, R. B. Jeffrey, I. R. McDougall, K. W. Nowels, and R. J. Weigel, “Ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy of thyroid masses,” Thyroid, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 283–289, 1998.
- K. L. McCoy, N. Jabbour, J. B. Ogilvie, N. P. Ohori, S. E. Carty, and J. H. Yim, “The incidence of cancer and rate of false-negative cytology in thyroid nodules greater than or equal to 4 cm in size,” Surgery, vol. 142, no. 6, pp. 837–844, 2007.
- J. B. Meko, J. A. Norton, A. Shaha et al., “Large cystic/solid thyroid nodules: a potential false-negative fine- needle aspiration,” Surgery, vol. 118, no. 6, pp. 996–1003, 1995.
- J. R. Porterfield Jr., C. S. Grant, D. S. Dean et al., “Reliability of benign fine needle aspiration cytology of large thyroid nodules,” Surgery, vol. 144, no. 6, pp. 963–969, 2008.
- B. Kuru, N. E. Gulcelik, M. A. Gulcelik, and H. Dincer, “The false-negative rate of fine-needle aspiration cytology for diagnosing thyroid carcinoma in thyroid nodules,” Langenbeck's Archives of Surgery, vol. 395, no. 2, pp. 127–132, 2010.
- M. A. Siddiqui, K. A. Griffith, C. W. Michael, and R. T. Pu, “Nodule heterogeneity as shown by size differences between the targeted nodule and the tumor in thyroidectomy specimen: a cause for a false-negative diagnosis of papillary thyroid carcinoma on fine-needle aspiration,” Cancer, vol. 114, no. 1, pp. 27–33, 2008.
- J. H. Yoon, J. Y. Kwak, H. J. Moon, M. J. Kim, and E.-K. Kim, “The diagnostic accuracy of ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy and the sonographic differences between benign and malignant thyroid nodules 3 cm or larger,” Thyroid, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 993–1000, 2011.
- J. I. Lew, R. A. Snyder, Y. M. Sanchez, and C. C. Solorzano, “Fine needle aspiration of the thyroid: correlation with final histopathology in a surgical series of 797 patients,” Journal of the American College of Surgeons, vol. 213, no. 1, pp. 188–194, 2011.
- G. C. H. Yang, J. D. Goldberg, and P. X. Ye, “Risk of malignancy in follicular neoplasms without nuclear atypia: statistical analysis of 397 thyroidectomies,” Endocrine Practice, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 510–516, 2003.
- R. T. Schlinkert, J. A. Van Heerden, J. R. Goellner et al., “Factors that predict malignant thyroid lesions when fine-needle aspiration is suspicious for follicular neoplasm,” Mayo Clinic Proceedings, vol. 72, no. 10, pp. 913–916, 1997.
- G. M. Sclabas, G. A. Staerkel, S. E. Shapiro et al., “Fine-needle aspiration of the thyroid and correlation with histopathology in a contemporary series of 240 patients,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 186, no. 6, pp. 702–709, 2003.
- C. R. McHenry, E. S. Huh, and R. N. Machekano, “Is nodule size an independent predictor of thyroid malignancy?” Surgery, vol. 144, no. 6, pp. 1062–1068, 2008.
- W. Raber, K. Kaserer, B. Niederle, and H. Vierhapper, “Risk factors for malignancy of thyroid nodules initially identified as follicular neoplasia by fine-needle aspiration: results of a prospective study of one hundred twenty patients,” Thyroid, vol. 10, no. 8, pp. 709–712, 2000.
- M. D. Raj, S. Grodski, S. A. Martin, M. Yeung, and J. W. Serpell, “The role of fine-needle aspiration cytology in the surgical management of thyroid cancer,” ANZ Journal of Surgery, vol. 80, no. 11, pp. 827–830, 2010.
- J. F. Carrillo, M. Frias-Mendivil, F. J. Ochoa-Carrillo, and M. Ibarra, “Accuracy of fine-needle aspiration biopsy of the thyroid combined with an evaluation of clinical and radiologic factors,” Otolaryngology, vol. 122, no. 6, pp. 917–921, 2000.