- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Endocrinology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 182060, 6 pages
Osteoprotegerin as a Marker of Atherosclerosis in Diabetic Patients
12nd Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Athens Medical School, Aretaeio Hospital, 11526 Athens, Greece
2Obstetric-Gynecological Unit and Research Center, Evgenideio Hospital, University of Athens, 11526 Athens, Greece
3Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Medical School, University of Thessaly, 41334 Larissa, Greece
42nd University Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Hippokratio General Hospital, University of Thessaloniki Medical School, 54642 Thessaloniki, Greece
5Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, General District Hospital “Helena Venizelou”, 11521 Athens, Greece
61st Department of Surgery, University of Athens Medical School, Laiko Hospital, 11527 Athens, Greece
Received 19 November 2012; Accepted 28 December 2012
Academic Editor: Anil K. Agarwal
Copyright © 2013 Areti Augoulea et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. M. Venuraju, A. Yerramasu, R. Corder, and A. Lahiri, “Osteoprotegerin as a predictor of coronary artery disease and cardiovascular mortality and morbidity,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 55, no. 19, pp. 2049–2061, 2010.
- V. Carnevale, E. Romaglino, and E. D'Erasmo, “Skeletal involvement in patients with diabetes mellitus,” Diabetes/Metabolism Research and Reviews, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 196–204, 2004.
- G. Valerio, A. Del Puente, A. Esposito-del Puente, P. Buono, E. Mozzillo, and A. Franzese, “The lumbar bone mineral density is affected by long-term poor metabolic control in adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus,” Hormone Research, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 266–272, 2002.
- J. Heap, M. A. Murray, S. C. Miller, T. Jalili, and L. J. Moyer-Mileur, “Alterations in bone characteristics associated with glycemic control in adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 144, no. 1, pp. 56–62, 2004.
- N. X. Chen and S. M. Moe, “Arterial calcification in diabetes,” Current Diabetes Reports, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 28–32, 2003.
- S. Jono, Y. Ikari, A. Shioi et al., “Serum osteoprotegerin levels are associated with the presence and severity of coronary artery disease,” Circulation, vol. 106, no. 10, pp. 1192–1194, 2002.
- M. Schoppet, A. M. Sattler, J. R. Schaefer, M. Herzum, B. Maisch, and L. C. Hofbauer, “Increased osteoprotegerin serum levels in men with coronary artery disease,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 88, no. 3, pp. 1024–1028, 2003.
- M. Abedin, T. Omland, T. Ueland et al., “Relation of osteoprotegerin to coronary calcium and aortic plaque (from the Dallas Heart Study),” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 99, no. 4, pp. 513–518, 2007.
- S. Kiechl, G. Schett, G. Wenning et al., “Osteoprotegerin is a risk factor for progressive atherosclerosis and cardiovascular disease,” Circulation, vol. 109, no. 18, pp. 2175–2180, 2004.
- Z. Ali, A. A. Ellington, T. H. Mosley, and I. J. Kullo, “Association of serum osteoprotegerin with ankle-brachial index and urine albumin: creatinine ratio in African-Americans and non-Hispanic whites,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 206, no. 2, pp. 575–580, 2009.
- M. Shargorodsky, M. Boaz, A. Luckish, Z. Matas, D. Gavish, and M. Mashavi, “Osteoprotegerin as an independent marker of subclinical atherosclerosis in osteoporotic postmenopausal women,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 204, no. 2, pp. 608–611, 2009.
- M. Nybo and L. M. Rasmussen, “The capability of plasma osteoprotegerin as a predictor of cardiovascular disease: a systematic literature review,” European Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 159, no. 5, pp. 603–608, 2008.
- M. H. Gannagé-Yared, C. Yaghi, B. Habre et al., “Osteoprotegerin in relation to body weight, lipid parameters insulin sensitivity, adipocytokines, and C-reactive protein in obese and non-obese young individuals: results from both cross-sectional and interventional study,” European Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 158, no. 3, pp. 353–359, 2008.
- A. Avignon, A. Sultan, C. Piot, S. Elaerts, J. P. Cristol, and A. M. Dupuy, “Osteoprotegerin is associated with silent coronary artery disease in high-risk but asymptomatic type 2 diabetic patients,” Diabetes Care, vol. 28, no. 9, pp. 2176–2180, 2005.
- G. D. Xiang, L. Xu, L. S. Zhao, L. Yue, and J. Hou, “The relationship between plasma osteoprotegerin and endothelium-dependent arterial dilation in type 2 diabetes,” Diabetes, vol. 55, no. 7, pp. 2126–2131, 2006.
- F. Galluzzi, S. Stagi, R. Salti et al., “Osteoprotegerin serum levels in children with type 1 diabetes: a potential modulating role in bone status,” European Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 153, no. 6, pp. 879–885, 2005.
- H. A. Lane, J. C. Smith, and J. S. Davies, “Noninvasive assessment of preclinical atherosclerosis,” Vascular Health and Risk Management, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 19–30, 2006.
- W. J. Mack, L. Labree, C. R. Liu, C. H. Liu, R. H. Selzer, and H. N. Hodis, “Correlations between measures of atherosclerosis change using carotid ultrasonography and coronary angiography,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 150, no. 2, pp. 371–379, 2000.
- M. L. Bots, A. W. Hoes, P. J. Koudstaal, A. Hofman, and D. E. Grobbee, “Common carotid intima-media thickness and risk of stroke and myocardial infarction: the Rotterdam Study,” Circulation, vol. 96, no. 5, pp. 1432–1437, 1997.
- T. P. Singh, H. Groehn, and A. Kazmers, “Vascular function and carotid intimal-medial thickness in children with insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 661–665, 2003.
- M. J. Järvisalo, M. Raitakari, J. O. Toikka et al., “Endothelial dysfunction and increased arterial iIntima-media thickness in children with type 1 diabetes,” Circulation, vol. 109, no. 14, pp. 1750–1755, 2004.
- M. J. Järvisalo, L. Jartti, K. Näntö-Salonen et al., “Increased aortic intima-media thickness: a marker of preclinical atherosclerosis in high-risk children,” Circulation, vol. 104, no. 24, pp. 2943–2947, 2001.
- L. M. Rasmussen and T. Ledet, “Osteoprotegerin and diabetic macroangiopathy,” Hormone and Metabolic Research, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. S90–S94, 2005.
- W. S. Simonet, D. L. Lacey, C. R. Dunstan et al., “Osteoprotegerin: a novel secreted protein involved in the regulation of bone density,” Cell, vol. 89, no. 2, pp. 309–319, 1997.
- M. Fu, J. Zhang, Y. Lin, X. Zhu, T. M. Willson, and Y. E. Chen, “Activation of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor γ inhibits osteoprotegerin gene expression in human aortic smooth muscle cells,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 294, no. 3, pp. 597–601, 2002.
- J. Zhang, M. Fu, D. Myles et al., “PDGF induces osteoprotegerin expression in vascular smooth muscle cells by multiple signal pathways,” FEBS Letters, vol. 521, no. 1–3, pp. 180–184, 2002.
- U. M. Malyankar, M. Scatena, K. L. Suchland, T. J. Yun, E. A. Clark, and C. M. Giachelli, “Osteoprotegerin is an α(v)β3-induced, NF-κB-dependent survival factor for endothelial cells,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 275, no. 28, pp. 20959–20962, 2000.
- P. Olesen, T. Ledet, and L. M. Rasmussen, “Arterial osteoprotegerin: Increased amounts in diabetes and modifiable synthesis from vascular smooth muscle cells by insulin and TNF-α,” Diabetologia, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 561–568, 2005.
- P. Collin-Osdoby, “Regulation of vascular calcification by osteoclast regulatory factors RANKL and osteoprotegerin,” Circulation Research, vol. 95, no. 11, pp. 1046–1057, 2004.
- O. Ovchinnikova, A. Gylfe, L. Bailey et al., “Osteoprotegerin promotes fibrous cap formation in atherosclerotic lesions of ApoE-deficient mice-brief report,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 29, no. 10, pp. 1478–1480, 2009.
- S. Morony, Y. Tintut, Z. Zhang et al., “Osteoprotegerin inhibits vascular calcification without affecting atherosclerosis in ldlr(−/−) mice,” Circulation, vol. 117, no. 3, pp. 411–420, 2008.
- U. M. Breland, I. Hollan, K. Saatvedt et al., “Inflammatory markers in patients with coronary artery disease with and without inflammatory rheumatic disease,” Rheumatology, vol. 49, no. 6, pp. 1118–1127, 2010.
- S. R. Cummings, J. San Martin, M. R. McClung, et al., “FREEDOM Trial. Denosumab for prevention of fractures in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 361, no. 8, pp. 756–765, 2009.
- N. Bucay, I. Sarosi, C. R. Dunstan et al., “Osteoprotegerin-deficient mice develop early onset osteoporosis and arterial calcification,” Genes and Development, vol. 12, no. 9, pp. 1260–1268, 1998.
- B. J. Bennett, M. Scatena, E. A. Kirk et al., “Osteoprotegerin inactivation accelerates advanced atherosclerotic lesion progression and calcification in older ApoE-/-mice,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 26, no. 9, pp. 2117–2124, 2006.
- P. A. Price, H. H. June, J. R. Buckley, and M. K. Williamson, “Osteoprotegerin inhibits artery calcification induced by warfarin and by vitamin D,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 21, no. 10, pp. 1610–1616, 2001.
- W. S. Browner, L. Y. Lui, and S. R. Cummings, “Associations of serum osteoprotegerin levels with diabetes, stroke, bone density, fractures, and mortality in elderly women,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 86, no. 2, pp. 631–637, 2001.
- A. Flyvbjerg, “Diabetic angiopathy, the complement system and the tumor necrosis factor superfamily,” Nature Reviews Endocrinology, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 94–101, 2010.
- W. Lieb, P. Gona, M. G. Larson et al., “Biomarkers of the osteoprotegerin pathway: clinical correlates, subclinical disease, incident cardiovascular disease, and mortality,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 30, no. 9, pp. 1849–1854, 2010.
- R. Mogelvang, S. H. Pedersen, A. Flyvbjerg, et al., “Comparison of osteoprotegerin to traditional atherosclerotic risk factors and high-sensitivity C-reactive protein for diagnosis of atherosclerosis,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 109, no. 4, pp. 515–520, 2012.
- Q. Yang, S. Lu, Y. Chen et al., “Plasma osteoprotegerin levels and long-term prognosis in patients with intermediate coronary artery lesions,” Clinical Cardiology, vol. 34, no. 7, pp. 447–453, 2011.
- L. C. Hofbauer and M. Schoppet, “Clinical implications of the osteoprotegerin/RANKL/RANK system for bone and vascular diseases,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 292, no. 4, pp. 490–495, 2004.
- J. K. Jensen, T. Ueland, D. Atar et al., “Osteoprotegerin concentrations and prognosis in acute ischaemic stroke,” Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 267, no. 4, pp. 410–417, 2010.
- E. R. Pedersen, T. Ueland, R. Seifert et al., “Serum osteoprotegerin levels and long-term prognosis in patients with stable angina pectoris,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 212, no. 2, pp. 644–649, 2010.
- T. Ueland, S. G. Wilson, F. M. Amirul Islam et al., “A cohort study of the effects of serum osteoprotegerin and osteoprotegerin gene polymorphisms on cardiovascular mortality in elderly women,” Clinical Endocrinology, vol. 71, no. 6, pp. 828–833, 2009.
- A. G. Semb, T. Ueland, P. Aukrust et al., “Osteoprotegerin and soluble receptor activator of nuclear factor-κB ligand and risk for coronary events: A nested case-control approach in the prospective EPIC-norfolk population study 1993–2003,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 975–980, 2009.
- M. Zagura, M. Serg, P. Kampus et al., “Association of osteoprotegerin with aortic stiffness in patients with symptomatic peripheral artery disease and in healthy subjects,” American Journal of Hypertension, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 586–591, 2010.
- S. Helske, P. T. Kovanen, K. A. Lindstedt et al., “Increased circulating concentrations and augmented myocardial extraction of osteoprotegerin in heart failure due to left ventricular pressure overload,” European Journal of Heart Failure, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 357–363, 2007.
- T. Ueland, R. Jemtland, K. Godang et al., “Prognostic value of osteoprotegerin in heart failure after acute myocardial infarction,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 44, no. 10, pp. 1970–1976, 2004.
- A. Crisafulli, A. Micari, D. Altavilla et al., “Serum levels of osteoprotegerin and RANKL in patients with ST elevation acute myocardial infarction,” Clinical Science, vol. 109, no. 4, pp. 389–395, 2005.
- A. Avignon, A. Sultan, C. Piot et al., “Osteoprotegerin: a novel independent marker for silent myocardial ischemia in asymptomatic diabetic patients,” Diabetes Care, vol. 30, no. 11, pp. 2934–2939, 2007.
- L. M. Rasmussen, L. Tarnow, T. K. Hansen, H. H. Parving, and A. Flyvbjerg, “Plasma osteoprotegerin levels are associated with glycaemic status, systolic blood pressure, kidney function and cardiovascular mordibity in type 1 diabetic patients,” European Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 154, no. 1, pp. 75–81, 2006.
- A. M. Blazquez-Medela, L. Garcia-Ortiz, M. A. Gomez-Marcos, et al., “Osteoprotegerin is associated with cardiovascular risk in hypertension and/or diabetes,” European Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 548–556, 2012.
- P. H. Davis, J. D. Dawson, W. A. Riley, and R. M. Lauer, “Carotid intimal-medial thickness is related to cardiovascular risk factors measured from childhood through middle age the muscatine Study,” Circulation, vol. 104, no. 23, pp. 2815–2819, 2001.
- D. M. Nathan, “Long-term complications of diabetes mellitus,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 328, no. 23, pp. 1676–1685, 1993.
- M. J. Järvisalo, A. Putto-Laurila, L. Jartti et al., “Carotid artery intima-media thickness in children with type 1 diabetes,” Diabetes, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 493–498, 2002.
- A. E. Altinova, F. Toruner, M. Akturk et al., “Relationship between serum osteoprotegerin, glycemic control, renal function and markers of atherosclerosis in type 2 diabetes,” Scandinavian Journal of Clinical and Laboratory Investigation, vol. 71, no. 4, pp. 340–343, 2011.
- J. Grauslund, L. M. Rasmussen, A. Green, and A. K. Sjølie, “Does osteoprotegerin relate to micro- and macrovascular complications in long-term type 1 diabetes?” Scandinavian Journal of Clinical and Laboratory Investigation, vol. 70, no. 3, pp. 188–193, 2010.
- J. Golledge, M. McCann, S. Mangan, A. Lam, and M. Karan, “Osteoprotegerin and osteopontin are expressed at high concentrations within symptomatic carotid atherosclerosis,” Stroke, vol. 35, no. 7, pp. 1636–1641, 2004.
- L. Lundby-Christensen, T. P. Almdal, B. Carstensen, L. Tarnow, and N. Wiinberg, “Carotid intima-media thickness in individuals with and without type 2 diabetes: a reproducibility study,” Cardiovascular Diabetology, vol. 9, article 40, 2010.
- M. K. Poulsen, M. Nybo, J. Dahl, et al., “Plasma osteoprotegerin is related to carotid and peripheral arterial disease, but not to myocardial ischemia in type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Cardiovascular Diabetology, vol. 10, article 76, 2011.
- M. Ishiyama, E. Suzuki, J. Katsuda et al., “Associations of coronary artery calcification and carotid intima-media thickness with plasma concentrations of vascular calcification inhibitors in type 2 diabetic patients,” Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, vol. 85, no. 2, pp. 189–196, 2009.
- J. Y. Shin, Y. G. Shin, and C. H. Chung, “Elevated serum osteoprotegerin levels are associated with vascular endothelial dysfunction in type 2 diabetes,” Diabetes Care, vol. 29, no. 7, pp. 1664–1666, 2006.
- H. M. Terekeci, M. G. Senol, C. Top et al., “Plasma osteoprotegerin concentrations in type 2 diabetic patients and its association with neuropathy,” Experimental and Clinical Endocrinology and Diabetes, vol. 117, no. 3, pp. 119–123, 2009.
- N. Vrachnis, A. Augoulea, Z. Iliodromiti, I. Lambrinoudaki, S. Sifakis, and G. Creatsas, “Previous gestational diabetes mellitus and markers of cardiovascular risk,” International Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 2012, Article ID 458610, 6 pages, 2012.
- S. Bo, S. Valpreda, G. Menato et al., “Should we consider gestational diabetes a vascular risk factor?” Atherosclerosis, vol. 194, no. 2, pp. e72–e79, 2007.
- A. H. Xiang, H. N. Hodis, M. Kawakubo et al., “Effect of pioglitazone on progression of subclinical atherosclerosis in non-diabetic premenopausal Hispanic women with prior gestational diabetes,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 199, no. 1, pp. 207–214, 2008.
- E. Tarim, F. Yigit, E. Kilicdag et al., “Early onset of subclinical atherosclerosis in women with gestational diabetes mellitus,” Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 177–182, 2006.
- S. Abdelghaffar, M. El Amir, A. El Hadidi, and F. El Mougi, “Carotid intima-media thickness: an index for subclinical atherosclerosis in type 1 diabetes,” Journal of Tropical Pediatrics, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 39–45, 2006.
- G. D. Xiang, H. L. Sun, and L. S. Zhao, “Changes of osteoprotegerin before and after insulin therapy in type 1 diabetic patients,” Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, vol. 76, no. 2, pp. 199–206, 2007.