- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Endocrinology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 210639, 7 pages
Estimation of True Serum Thyroglobulin Concentration Using Simultaneous Measurement of Serum Antithyroglobulin Antibody
1Department of Nuclear Medicine, Kyungpook National University School of Medicine/Hospital, 50 Samduk-dong 2-ga, Chung Gu, Daegu 700-721, Republic of Korea
2Department of Preventive Medicine, Kyungpook National University School of Medicine/Hospital, 50 Samduk-dong 2-ga, Chung Gu, Daegu 700-721, Republic of Korea
Received 30 November 2012; Revised 7 February 2013; Accepted 5 March 2013
Academic Editor: Eleonore Fröhlich
Copyright © 2013 Byeong-Cheol Ahn et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. S. Cooper, G. M. Doherty, B. R. Haugen et al., “Revised American thyroid association management guidelines for patients with thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer,” Thyroid, vol. 19, no. 11, pp. 1167–1214, 2009.
- C. Reiners, M. Dietlein, and M. Luster, “Radio-iodine therapy in differentiated thyroid cancer: indications and procedures,” Best Practice and Research: Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 989–1007, 2008.
- B. Ahn, J. Seo, J. Bae, et al., “Effects of anti-thyroglobulin antibody on the measurement of thyroglobulin: differences between immunoradiometric assay kits available,” Korean Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 252–256, 2005.
- B. Ahn, J. Bae, S. Jeong, et al., “Influence of anti-thyroglobulin antibody on the measurement of thyroglobulin using the immunoradiometric assay,” Journal of Korean Society of Endocrinology, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 42–47, 2004.
- M. Stanojević, S. Savin, D. Cvejić, A. Dukić, and S. Z. Simonović, “Correlation of thyroglobulin concentrations measured by radioimmunoassay and immunoradiometric assay and the influence of thyroglobulin antibody,” Journal of Immunoassay and Immunochemistry, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 197–207, 2009.
- C. A. Spencer and J. S. LoPresti, “Technology Insight: measuring thyroglobulin and thyroglobulin autoantibody in patients with differentiated thyroid cancer,” Nature Clinical Practice Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 223–233, 2008.
- G. Aras, S. S. Gültekin, N. Ö. Küçük, and Y. Genç, “Is thyroglobulin the stronger indicator for progressive disease than the other conventional factors in same age patient groups with differentiated thyroid cancer?” Nuclear Medicine Communications, vol. 28, no. 12, pp. 907–913, 2007.
- A. N. Hoofnagle and M. H. Wener, “The fundamental flaws of immunoassays and potential solutions using tandem mass spectrometry,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 347, no. 1-2, pp. 3–11, 2009.
- Z. Locsei, I. Szabolcs, K. Rácz, G. L. Kovács, D. Horváth, and E. Toldy, “Serum thyroglobulin antibody levels within or near to the reference range may interfere with thyroglobulin measurement,” Biochemical Medicine, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 365–370, 2012.
- C. Spencer, S. Fatemi, P. Singer, J. Nicoloff, and J. Lopresti, “Serum basal thyroglobulin measured by a second-generation assay correlates with the recombinant human thyrotropin-stimulated thyroglobulin response in patients treated for differentiated thyroid cancer,” Thyroid, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 587–595, 2010.
- E. L. Mazzaferri and R. T. Kloos, “Current approaches to primary therapy for papillary and follicular thyroid cancer,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 86, no. 4, pp. 1447–1463, 2001.
- S. Leboulleux, P. R. Schroeder, N. L. Busaidy et al., “Assessment of the incremental value of recombinant thyrotropin stimulation before 2-[18F]-fluoro-2-deoxy-D-glucose positron emission tomography/computed tomography imaging to localize residual differentiated thyroid cancer,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 94, no. 4, pp. 1310–1316, 2009.
- C. A. Spencer, M. Takeuchi, M. Kazarosyan et al., “Serum thyroglobulin autoantibodies: prevalence, influence on serum thyroglobulin measurement, and prognostic significance in patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 83, no. 4, pp. 1121–1127, 1998.
- D. Madureira, S. Prazeres, M. S. Pedro, T. Pereira, A. P. Font, and M. J. Bugalho, “In vitro assays to test the interference of anti-thyroglobulin antibodies on thyroglobulin measurement,” Endocrine, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 40–44, 2008.
- L. Chiovato, F. Latrofa, L. E. Braverman et al., “Disappearance of humoral thyroid autoimmunity after complete removal of thyroid antigens,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 139, no. 5, pp. 346–351, 2003.
- C. A. Spencer, “Clinical review: clinical utility of thyroglobulin antibody (TgAb) measurements for patients with differentiated thyroid cancers (DTC),” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 96, pp. 3615–3627, 2011.
- J. H. Seo, S. W. Lee, B. C. Ahn, and J. Lee, “Recurrence detection in differentiated thyroid cancer patients with elevated serum level of antithyroglobulin antibody: special emphasis on using 18F-FDG PET/CT,” Clinical Endocrinology, vol. 72, no. 4, pp. 558–563, 2010.
- Y. Gao, Z. Yuan, Y. Yu, and H. Lu, “Mutual interference between serum thyroglobulin and antithyroglobulin antibody in an automated chemiluminescent immunoassay,” Clinical Biochemistry, vol. 40, no. 9-10, pp. 735–738, 2007.
- C. Spencer, I. Petrovic, and S. Fatemi, “Current thyroglobulin autoantibody (TgAb) assays often fail to detect interfering TgAb that can result in the reporting of falsely low/undetectable serum Tg IMA values for patients with differentiated thyroid cancer,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 96, no. 5, pp. 1283–1291, 2011.
- F. Berger, U. Friedrich, P. Knesewitsch, and K. Hahn, “Diagnostic 131I whole-body scintigraphy 1 year after thyroablative therapy in patients with differentiated thyroid cancer: correlation of results to the individual risk profile and long-term follow-up,” European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 451–458, 2011.
- F. Latrofa, D. Ricci, L. Montanelli, et al., “Lymphocytic thyroiditis on histology correlates with serum thyroglobulin autoantibodies in patients with papillary thyroid carcinoma: impact on detection of serum thyroglobulin,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 97, no. 7, pp. 2380–2387, 2012.
- F. Latrofa, D. Ricci, L. Grasso et al., “Characterization of thyroglobulin epitopes in patients with autoimmune and non-autoimmune thyroid diseases using recombinant human monoclonal thyroglobulin autoantibodies,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 93, no. 2, pp. 591–596, 2008.
- F. Latrofa, D. Ricci, L. Montanelli, et al., “Thyroglobulin autoantibodies in patients with papillary thyroid carcinoma: comparison of different assays and evaluation of causes of discrepancies,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 97, no. 11, pp. 3974–3982, 2012.