- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Endocrinology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 285729, 9 pages
Prevalence of Osteoporosis and Its Associated Factors among Older Men with Type 2 Diabetes
Department of Endocrinology, Jishuitan Hospital, Beijing 100035, China
Received 21 September 2012; Revised 22 November 2012; Accepted 16 December 2012
Academic Editor: Maria L. Dufau
Copyright © 2013 Hai-ling Chen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. F. Heinemann, “Osteoporosis: an overview of the National Osteoporosis Foundation clinical practice guide,” Geriatrics, vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 31–36, 2000.
- G. Salkeld, I. D. Cameron, R. G. Cumming et al., “Quality of life related to fear of falling and hip fracture in older women: a time trade off study,” British Medical Journal, vol. 320, no. 7231, pp. 341–345, 2000.
- P. R. Ebeling, “Osteoporosis in men,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 358, no. 14, pp. 1474–1430, 2008.
- R. A. Adler, “Osteoporosis in men: insights for the clinician,” Therapeutic Advances in Musculoskeletal Disease, vol. 3, pp. 191–200, 2011.
- R. Burge, B. Dawson-Hughes, D. H. Solomon, J. B. Wong, A. King, and A. Tosteson, “Incidence and economic burden of osteoporosis-related fractures in the United States, 2005–2025,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 465–475, 2007.
- E. Bass, D. D. French, D. D. Bradham, and L. Z. Rubenstein, “Risk-adjusted mortality rates of elderly veterans with hip fractures,” Annals of Epidemiology, vol. 17, no. 7, pp. 514–519, 2007.
- H. X. Jiang, S. R. Majumdar, D. A. Dick et al., “Development and initial validation of a risk score for predicting in-hospital and 1-year mortality in patients with hip fractures,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 494–500, 2005.
- L. C. Hofbauer, C. C. Brueck, S. K. Singh, and H. Dobnig, “Osteoporosis in patients with diabetes mellitus,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 22, no. 9, pp. 1317–1328, 2007.
- A. Saller, S. Maggi, G. Romanato, P. Tonin, and G. Crepaldi, “Diabetes and osteoporosis,” Aging - Clinical and Experimental Research, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 280–289, 2008.
- V. Rakic, W. A. Davis, S. A. P. Chubb, F. M. A. Islam, R. L. Prince, and T. M. E. Davis, “Bone mineral density and its determinants in diabetes: The Fremantle Diabetes Study,” Diabetologia, vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 863–871, 2006.
- S. Adami, “Bone health in diabetes: considerations for clinical management,” Current Medical Research and Opinion, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 1057–1072, 2009.
- S. A. Abdulameer, S. A. Sulaiman, M. A. Hassali, K. Subramaniam, and M. N. Sahib, “Osteoporosis and type 2 diabetes mellitus: what do we know, and what can we do?” Patient Preference and Adherence, vol. 6, pp. 435–448, 2012.
- T. Yamaguchi and Y. Sugimoto, “Bone metabolism and fracture risk in type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Endocrine Journal, vol. 58, pp. 613–624, 2011.
- L. Xu, M. Cheng, X. Liu, P. Shan, and H. Gao, “Bone mineral density and its related factors in elderly male chinese patients with type 2 diabetes,” Archives of Medical Research, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 259–264, 2007.
- J. Xia, Y. Zhong, G. Huang, Y. Chen, H. Shi, and Z. Zhang, “The relationship between insulin resistance and osteoporosis in elderly male type 2 diabetes mellitus and diabetic nephropathy,” Annales d'Endocrinologie, vol. 73, no. 6, pp. 546–551, 2012.
- World Health Organization, “Definition and diagnosis of diabetes mellitus and intermediate hyperglycemia,” Report of a WHO/IDF Consultation, 2006.
- World Health Organization, “Assessment of fracture risk and its application to screening for postmenopausal osteoporosis,” Technical Report Series, vol. 843, pp. 1–129, 1994.
- T. Majima, Y. Komatsu, T. Yamada et al., “Decreased bone mineral density at the distal radius, but not at the lumbar spine or the femoral neck, in Japanese type 2 diabetic patients,” Osteoporosis International, vol. 16, no. 8, pp. 907–913, 2005.
- K. F. Moseley, “Type 2 diabetes and bone fractures,” Current Opinion in Endocrinology, Diabetes and Obesity, vol. 19, pp. 128–1135, 2012.
- F. Afshinnia, S. Chacko, and T. Zahedi, “Association of lower serum cholesterol levels with higher risk of osteoporosis in type 2 diabetes,” Endocrine Practice, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 620–628, 2007.
- R. M. Sta and J. T. Li-Yu, “Investigation of the relationship between type 2 diabetes and osteoporosis using Bayesian inference,” Journal of Clinical Densitometry, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 386–390, 2007.
- A. Räkel, O. Sheehy, E. Rahme, and J. LeLorier, “Osteoporosis among patients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes,” Diabetes and Metabolism, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 193–205, 2008.
- I. Anaforoglu, A. Nar-Demirer, N. Bascil-Tutuncu, and M. E. Ertorer, “Prevalence of osteoporosis and factors affecting bone mineral density among postmenopausal Turkish women with type 2 diabetes,” Journal of Diabetes and Its Complications, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 12–17, 2009.
- A. Montagnani, S. Gonnelli, M. Alessandri, and R. Nuti, “Osteoporosis and risk of fracture in patients with diabetes: an update,” Aging—Clinical and Experimental Research, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 84–90, 2011.
- L. J. Melton, C. L. Leibson, S. J. Achenbach, T. M. Therneau, and S. Khosla, “Fracture risk in type 2 diabetes: update of a population-based study,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 23, no. 8, pp. 1334–1342, 2008.
- M. Espallargues, L. Sampietro-Colom, M. D. Estrada et al., “Identifying bone-mass-related risk factors for fracture to guide bone densitometry measurements: a systematic review of the literature,” Osteoporosis International, vol. 12, no. 10, pp. 811–822, 2001.
- G. Barrera, D. Bunout, V. Gattás, M. P. De La Maza, L. Leiva, and S. Hirsch, “A high body mass index protects against femoral neck osteoporosis in healthy elderly subjects,” Nutrition, vol. 20, no. 9, pp. 769–771, 2004.
- P. Vestergaard, “Discrepancies in bone mineral density and fracture risk in patients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes—a meta-analysis,” Osteoporosis International, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 427–444, 2007.
- A. V. Schwartz, D. E. Sellmeyer, E. S. Strotmeyer et al., “Diabetes and bone loss at the hip in older black and white adults,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 596–603, 2005.
- D. M. Black, S. R. Cummings, H. K. Genant, M. C. Nevitt, L. Palermo, and W. Browner, “Axial and appendicular bone density predict fractures in older women,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 633–638, 1992.
- B. E. C. Nordin, “Redefining osteoporosis,” Calcified Tissue International, vol. 83, no. 6, pp. 365–367, 2008.
- S. Rasul, A. Ilhan, L. Wagner, A. Luger, and A. Kautzky-Willer, “Diabetic neuropathy relates to bone metabolism and markers of bone turnover in elderly patients with type 2 diabetes: greater effects in male patients,” Gender Medicine, vol. 9, pp. 187–196, 2012.
- D. L. Chau, S. V. Edelman, and M. Chandran, “Osteoporosis and diabetes,” Current Diabetes Reports, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 37–42, 2003.
- P. Garnero, “Markers of bone turnover for the prediction of fracture risk,” Osteoporosis International, vol. 11, pp. S55–S65, 2000.
- D. C. Bauer, P. Garnero, M. C. Hochberg et al., “Pretreatment levels of bone turnover and the antifracture efficacy of alendronate: the fracture intervention trial,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 292–299, 2006.
- L. J. Melton, C. S. Crowson, W. M. O'Fallon, H. W. Wahner, and B. L. Riggs, “Relative contributions of bone density, bone turnover, and clinical risk factors to long-term fracture prediction,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 312–318, 2003.
- M. Inaba, “Secondary osteoporosis: thyrotoxicosis, rheumatoid arthritis, and diabetes mellitus,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Metabolism, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 287–292, 2004.
- A. Amano and S. Kawai, “Diabetes and oral osteoporosis,” Clinical Calcium, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 186–191, 2007.
- A. M. Inzerillo and S. Epstein, “Osteoporosis and diabetes mellitus,” Reviews in Endocrine & Metabolic Disorders, vol. 5, pp. 261–268, 2004.
- D. M. S. L. Cutrim, F. A. Pereira, F. J. A. de Paula, and M. C. Foss, “Lack of relationship between glycemic control and bone mineral density in type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 221–227, 2007.
- F. Gregorio, S. Cristallini, F. Santeusanio, P. Filipponi, and P. Fumelli, “Osteopenia associated with non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: what are the causes?” Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 43–54, 1994.
- T. Yamaguchi and T. Sugimoto, “Calcium homeostasis and osteoporosis in diabetes mellitus and the metabolic syndrome,” Clinical Calcium, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 904–911, 2008.
- C. Meier, T. V. Nguyen, D. J. Handelsman et al., “Endogenous sex hormones and incident fracture risk in older men: The Dubbo Osteoporosis Epidemiology Study,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 168, no. 1, pp. 47–54, 2008.
- H. A. Fink, S. K. Ewing, K. E. Ensrud et al., “Association of testosterone and estradiol deficiency with osteoporosis and rapid bone loss in older men,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 91, no. 10, pp. 3908–3915, 2006.
- A. C. Looker and M. E. Mussolino, “Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and hip fracture risk in older U.S. white adults,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 143–150, 2008.
- L. Xian, X. Wu, L. Pang, et al., “Matrix IGF-1 maintains bone mass activation in mesenchymal stem cells,” Nature Medicine, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 1095–1101, 2012.
- B. L. Riggs, L. J. Melton, R. A. Robb et al., “A population-based assessment of rates of bone loss at multiple skeletal sites: evidence for substantial trabecular bone loss in young adult women and men,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 205–214, 2008.
- K. M. Thrailkill, C. K. Lumpkin, R. C. Bunn, S. F. Kemp, and J. L. Fowlkes, “Is insulin an anabolic agent in bone? Dissecting the diabetic bone for clues,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 289, no. 5, pp. E735–E745, 2005.
- D. A. De Luis Román, R. Aller, J. L. Perez Castrillon et al., “Effects of dietary intake and life style on bone density in patients with diabetes mellitus type 2,” Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 141–145, 2004.
- E. M. C. Lau, P. C. Leung, T. Kwok et al., “The determinants of bone mineral density in Chinese men—results from Mr. Os (Hong Kong), the first cohort study on osteoporosis in Asian men,” Osteoporosis International, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 297–303, 2006.