- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Endocrinology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 303859, 5 pages
Cardiovascular Risk Profiles amongst Women in a Multiethnic Population in Inner City Britain: A Potential Impact of Anaemia
1University of Birmingham, Centre for Cardiovascular Sciences, City Hospital, Birmingham B18 7QH and Sandwell Medical Research Unit, Sandwell General Hospital, West Bromwich, West Midlands B71 4HJ, UK
2Primary Care Clinical Sciences, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT, UK
3Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Manchester, Manchester M13 9NT, UK
4Division of Medical Sciences, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT, UK
5Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University Hospital of North Staffordshire, Stoke-on-Trent, UK
6Department of Psychiatry, Derby City General Hospital, Uttoxeter Road, Derby DE22 3NE, UK
Received 24 September 2012; Revised 20 December 2012; Accepted 7 January 2013
Academic Editor: Faustino R. Pérez-López
Copyright © 2013 Julia Chackathayil et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. J. Sarnak, H. Tighiouart, G. Manjunath et al., “Anemia as a risk factor for cardiovascular disease in the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) study,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 27–33, 2002.
- M. C. Thomas, “The high prevalence of anemia in diabetes is linked to functional erythropoietin deficiency,” Seminars in Nephrology, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 275–282, 2006.
- M. S. Sabatine, D. A. Morrow, R. P. Giugliano et al., “Association of hemoglobin levels with clinical outcomes in acute coronary syndromes,” Circulation, vol. 111, no. 16, pp. 2042–2049, 2005.
- J. A. Ezekowitz, F. A. McAlister, and P. W. Armstrong, “Anemia is common in heart failure and is associated with poor outcomes: insights from a cohort of 12 065 patients with new-onset heart failure,” Circulation, vol. 107, no. 2, pp. 223–225, 2003.
- P. S. Gill, J. Kai, R. S. Bhopal, and S. Wild, “Health care needs assessment: black and minority ethnic groups,” in Health Care Needs Assessment, J. Raftery, A. Stevens, and J. Mant, Eds., The Epidemiologically Based Needs Assessment Reviews. Third Series, Radcliffe, Abingdon, UK, 2007.
- K. C. Ferdinand, “Managing cardiovascular risk in minority patients,” Journal of the National Medical Association, vol. 97, no. 4, pp. 459–466, 2005.
- J. V. Patel, H. S. Lim, A. Gunarathne et al., “Ethnic differences in myocardial infarction in patients with hypertension: effects of diabetes mellitus,” Quarterly Journal of Medicine, vol. 101, no. 3, pp. 231–236, 2008.
- J. K. Cruickshank and S. A. Alleyne, “Black West Indian and matched White diabetics in Britain compared with diabetics in Jamaica: body mass, blood pressure, and vascular disease,” Diabetes Care, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 170–179, 1987.
- J. V. Patel, A. Vyas, J. K. Cruickshank et al., “Impact of migration on coronary heart disease risk factors: comparison of Gujaratis in Britain and their contemporaries in villages of origin in India,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 185, no. 2, pp. 297–306, 2006.
- M. D. Sosin, J. V. Patel, G. S. Bhatia, E. A. Hughes, R. C. Davis, and G. Y. H. Lip, “Effects of White European, African Caribbean and South Asian ethnicity on homocysteine levels in patients with systolic heart failure,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 129, no. 1, pp. 69–75, 2008.
- W. Herrmann, H. Schorr, K. Purschwitz, F. Rassoul, and V. Richter, “Total homocysteine, vitamin b12, and total antioxidant status in vegetarians,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 47, no. 6 I, pp. 1094–1101, 2001.
- A. Özdemir, C. Sevinç, U. Selamet, and F. Türkmen, “The relationship between iron deficiency anemia and lipid metabolism in premenopausal women,” American Journal of the Medical Sciences, vol. 334, no. 5, pp. 331–333, 2007.
- A. M. George and G. B. Maddocks, “Accuracy of diagnostic content of hospital activity analysis in infectious diseases,” British Medical Journal, vol. 1, no. 6174, pp. 1332–1339, 1979.
- National Institute of Clinical Excellence (NICE), “National Institute of Clinical Excellence (NICE) guidelines for cardiovascular disease,” http://guidance.nice.org.uk/topic/cardiovascular.
- K. S. Reddy and S. Yusuf, “Emerging epidemic of cardiovascular disease in developing countries,” Circulation, vol. 97, no. 6, pp. 596–601, 1998.
- A. H. Heald, R. Sharma, S. G. Anderson et al., “Dietary intake and the insulin-like growth factor system: effects of migration in two related populations in India and Britain with markedly different dietary intake,” Public Health Nutrition, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 620–627, 2005.
- C. S. Yajnik, S. S. Deshpande, H. G. Lubree et al., “Vitamin B12 deficiency and hyperhomocysteinemia in rural and urban Indians,” Journal of Association of Physicians of India, vol. 54, pp. 775–782, 2006.
- R. Jiang, J. Ma, A. Ascherio, M. J. Stampfer, W. C. Willett, and F. B. Hu, “Dietary iron intake and blood donations in relation to risk of type 2 diabetes in men: a prospective cohort study,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 79, no. 1, pp. 70–75, 2004.
- A. P. Brooks, J. Metcalfe, J. L. Day, and M. S. Edwards, “Iron deficiency and glycosylated haemoglobin A1,” The Lancet, vol. 2, no. 8186, p. 141, 1980.
- I. El-Agouza, A. Abu Shahla, and M. Sirdah, “The effect of iron deficiency anaemia on the levels of haemoglobin subtypes: possible consequences for clinical diagnosis,” Clinical and Laboratory Haematology, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 285–289, 2002.
- W. J. Schnedl, R. Krause, G. Halwachs-Baumann, M. Trinker, R. W. Lipp, and G. J. Krejs, “Evaluation of determination methods in patients with hemoglobinopathies,” Diabetes Care, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 339–344, 2000.
- J. M. Orshal and R. A. Khalil, “Gender, sex hormones, and vascular tone,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 286, no. 2, pp. R233–R249, 2004.
- F. B. Hu, “The iron-heart hypothesis: search for the ironclad evidence,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 297, no. 6, pp. 639–641, 2007.