- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Endocrinology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 482370, 5 pages
Delay in Diagnosis of Adrenal Insufficiency Is a Frequent Cause of Adrenal Crisis
1Clinic of Endocrinology, The Centre of Postgraduate Medical Education, Warsaw, Poland
2Department of Internal Diseases, Diabetology and Endocrinology, Medical University of Warsaw, Poland
Received 11 April 2013; Accepted 10 June 2013
Academic Editor: Mario Maggi
Copyright © 2013 Lucyna Papierska and Michał Rabijewski. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. Addison, On the Constitutional and Local Effects of Disease of the Supra-Renal Capsules, vol. 8, Samuel Highley, London, UK, 1855.
- S. Laureti, L. Vecchi, F. Santeusanio, and A. Falorni, “Is the prevalence of Addison's disease underestimated?” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 84, no. 5, article 1762, 1999.
- K. Løvås and E. S. Husebye, “High prevalence and increasing incidence of Addison's disease in western Norway,” Clinical Endocrinology, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 787–791, 2002.
- L. Papierska, “Autoimmune primary adrenal insufficiency,” Progress in Medicine, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 132–137, 2008 (Polish).
- P. M. Zelissen, Addison Patients in the Netherlands: Medical Report of the Survey, Dutch Addison Society, The Hague, The Netherlands, 1994.
- B. Bleicken, S. Hahner, M. Ventz, and M. Quinkler, “Delayed diagnosis of adrenal insufficiency is common: a cross-sectional study in 216 patients,” The American Journal of the Medical Sciences, vol. 339, no. 6, pp. 525–531, 2010.
- M. M. Erichsen, K. Løvås, B. Skinningsrud et al., “Clinical, immunological, and genetic features of autoimmune primary adrenal insufficiency: observations from a Norwegian registry,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 94, no. 12, pp. 4882–4890, 2009.
- W. Oelkers, “Current concepts: adrenal insufficiency,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 335, no. 16, pp. 1206–1212, 1996.
- P. M. Stewart and N. P. Krone, The Adrenal Cortex, Williams Textbook of Endocrinology, Elsevier, London, UK, 12th edition, 2011.
- S. Hahner, M. Loeffler, B. Bleicken et al., “Epidemiology of adrenal crisis in chronic adrenal insufficiency: the need for new prevention strategies,” The European Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 162, no. 3, pp. 597–602, 2010.
- A. J. Chakera and B. Vaidya, “Addison disease in adults: diagnosis and management,” The American Journal of Medicine, vol. 123, no. 5, pp. 409–413, 2010.
- A. Falorni, V. Minarelli, and S. Morelli, “Therapy of adrenal insufficiency: an update,” Endocrine, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 514–528, 2013.
- W. Arlt and B. Allolio, “Adrenal insufficiency,” The Lancet, vol. 361, no. 9372, pp. 1881–1893, 2003.
- H. K. Gleeson, B. R. Walker, J. R. Seckl, and P. L. Padfield, “Ten years on: safety of short synacthen tests in assessing adrenocorticotropin deficiency in clinical practice,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 88, no. 5, pp. 2106–2111, 2003.