- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Endocrinology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 532850, 11 pages
Calcium Activity of Upper Thoracic Dorsal Root Ganglion Neurons in Zucker Diabetic Fatty Rats
1Department of Drug Design and Pharmacology, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Copenhagen, 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
2Non-Clinical Development, Novo Nordisk A/S, 2760 Maaloev, Denmark
Received 14 December 2012; Revised 19 February 2013; Accepted 20 February 2013
Academic Editor: Gunnar Gislason
Copyright © 2013 Marie Louise Ghorbani et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- International Diabetes Federation. Diabetes Atlas, 2011, http://www.idf.org/.
- J. S. Alpert, S. R. Chipkin, and N. Aronin, “Diabetes mellitus and silent myocardial ischemia,” Advances in Cardiology, vol. 37, pp. 297–303, 1990.
- A. I. Vinik, T. Erbas, M. A. Pfeifer, E. L. Feldman, M. J. Stevens, and J. W. Russell, “Diabetic autonomic neuropathy,” in Ellenberg & Rifkin's Diabetes Mellitus, D. Porte, R. S. Sherwin, and A. Baron, Eds., chapter 46, pp. 789–804, McGraw-Hill, 6th edition, 2003.
- C. R. Kahn, G. C. Weir, G. L. King, A. M. Jacobson, A. C. Moses, and R. J. Smith, Eds., Joslin’s Diabetes Mellitus, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 14th edition, 2005.
- A. I. Vinik and D. Ziegler, “Diabetic cardiovascular autonomic neuropathy,” Circulation, vol. 115, no. 3, pp. 387–397, 2007.
- M. T. Johnstone and G. P. Kinzfogl, “Diabetes and heart disease,” in Diabetes and Cardiovascular Disease, M. T. Johnstone and A. Veves, Eds., Contemporary Cardiology, Series edited by C. P.Cannon, chapter 28, pp. 579–628, Humana Press, 2nd edition, 2005.
- A. I. Vinik, R. E. Maser, B. D. Mitchell, and R. Freeman, “Diabetic autonomic neuropathy,” Diabetes Care, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 1553–1579, 2003.
- P. K. Thomas and D. R. Tomlinson, “Diabetic and hypoglycemic neuropathy,” in Peripheral Neuropathy, P. J. Dyck, P. K. Thomas, J. W. Griffin, P. A. Low, and J. F. Poduslo, Eds., chapter 64, pp. 1219–1250, Saunders, 1993.
- H. L. Pan, J. C. Longhurst, J. C. Eisenach, and S. R. Chen, “Role of protons in activation of cardiac sympathetic C-fibre afferents during ischaemia in cats,” Journal of Physiology, vol. 518, no. 3, pp. 857–866, 1999.
- S. T. Meller and G. F. Gebhart, “A critical review of the afferent pathways and the potential chemical mediators involved in cardiac pain,” Neuroscience, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 501–524, 1992.
- R. D. Foreman, “Mechanisms of cardiac pain,” Annual Review of Physiology, vol. 61, pp. 143–167, 1999.
- D. C. Kuo, J. J. Oravitz, and W. C. DeGroat, “Tracing of afferent and efferent pathways in the left inferior cardiac nerve of the cat using retrograde and transganglionic transport of horseradish peroxidase,” Brain Research, vol. 321, no. 1, pp. 111–118, 1984.
- C. J. Benson, S. P. Eckert, and E. W. McCleskey, “Acid-evoked currents in cardiac sensory neurons: a possible mediator of myocardial ischemic sensation,” Circulation Research, vol. 84, no. 8, pp. 921–928, 1999.
- F. Cervero and J. M. A. Laird, “Visceral pain,” The Lancet, vol. 353, no. 9170, pp. 2145–2148, 1999.
- F. Cervero, “Sensory innervation of the viscera: peripheral basis of visceral pain,” Physiological Reviews, vol. 74, no. 1, pp. 95–138, 1994.
- G. Biessels and W. H. Gispen, “The calcium hypothesis of brain aging and neurodegenerative disorders: significance in diabetic neuropathy,” Life Sciences, vol. 59, no. 5-6, pp. 379–387, 1996.
- A. Verkhratsky and P. Fernyhough, “Mitochondrial malfunction and Ca2+ dyshomeostasis drive neuronal pathology in diabetes,” Cell Calcium, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 112–122, 2008.
- T. J. Huang, N. M. Sayers, P. Fernyhough, and A. Verkhratsky, “Diabetes-induced alterations in calcium homeostasis in sensory neurones of streptozotocin-diabetic rats are restricted to lumbar ganglia and are prevented by neurotrophin-3,” Diabetologia, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 560–570, 2002.
- N. V. Voitenko, E. P. Kostyuk, I. A. Kruglikov, and P. G. Kostyuk, “Changes in calcium signalling in dorsal horn neurons in rats with streptozotocin-induced diabetes,” Neuroscience, vol. 94, no. 3, pp. 887–890, 1999.
- H. D. Schultz, “Cardiac vagal chemosensory afferents: function in pathophysiological states,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 940, pp. 59–73, 2001.
- M. L. Ghorbani, C. Qin, M. Wu et al., “Characterization of upper thoracic spinal neurons receiving noxious cardiac and/or somatic inputs in diabetic rats,” Autonomic Neuroscience, vol. 165, no. 2, pp. 168–177, 2011.
- D. Chen and M. W. Wang, “Development and application of rodent models for type 2 diabetes,” Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 307–317, 2005.
- G. J. Etgen and B. A. Oldham, “Profiling of Zucker diabetic fatty rats in their progression to the overt diabetic state,” Metabolism, vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 684–688, 2000.
- R. M. Paredes, J. C. Etzler, L. T. Watts, W. Zheng, and J. D. Lechleiter, “Chemical calcium indicators,” Methods, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 143–151, 2008.
- D. C. Immke and E. W. McCleskey, “Protons open acid-sensing ion channels by catalyzing relief of Ca2+ blockade,” Neuron, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 75–84, 2003.
- M. Kress, S. Fetzer, P. W. Reeh, and L. Vyklicky, “Low pH facilitates capsaicin responses in isolated sensory neurons of the rat,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 211, no. 1, pp. 5–8, 1996.
- M. Kress, P. W. Reeh, and L. Vyklicky, “An interaction of inflammatory mediators and protons in small diameter dorsal root ganglion neurons of the rat,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 224, no. 1, pp. 37–40, 1997.
- S. G. Lu, X. Zhang, and M. S. Gold, “Intracellular calcium regulation among subpopulations of rat dorsal root ganglion neurons,” Journal of Physiology, vol. 577, no. 1, pp. 169–190, 2006.
- E. Kostyuk, N. Pronchuk, and A. Shmigol, “Calcium signal prolongation in sensory neurones of mice with experimental diabetes,” NeuroReport, vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 1010–1012, 1995.
- E. Kostyuk, N. Voitenko, I. Kruglikov et al., “Diabetes-induced changes in calcium homeostasis and the effects of calcium channel blockers in rat and mice nociceptive neurons,” Diabetologia, vol. 44, no. 10, pp. 1302–1309, 2001.
- A. Shmigol and E. P. Kostyuk, “Mechanisms responsible for calcium signal formation in murine primary sensory neurons: their impairment by experimentally evoked diabetes,” Neurophysiology, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 261–269, 1995.
- K. E. Hall, A. A. F. Sima, and J. W. Wiley, “Opiate-mediated inhibition of calcium signaling is decreased in dorsal root ganglion neurons from the diabetic BB/W rat,” The Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 97, no. 5, pp. 1165–1172, 1996.
- N. V. Voitenko, I. A. Kruglikov, E. P. Kostyuk, and P. G. Kostyuk, “Effect of streptozotocin-induced diabetes on the activity of calcium channels in rat dorsal horn neurons,” Neuroscience, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 519–524, 1999.
- L. Shutov, I. Kruglikov, O. Gryshchenko et al., “The effect of nimodipine on calcium homeostasis and pain sensitivity in diabetic rats,” Cellular and Molecular Neurobiology, vol. 26, no. 7-8, pp. 1541–1557, 2006.
- E. Kostyuk, N. Svichar, V. Shishkin, and P. Kostyuk, “Role of mitochondrial dysfunction in calcium signalling alterations in dorsal root ganglion neurons of mice with experimentally-induced diabetes,” Neuroscience, vol. 90, no. 2, pp. 535–541, 1999.
- M. J. Berridge, M. D. Bootman, and H. L. Roderick, “Calcium signalling: dynamics, homeostasis and remodelling,” Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology, vol. 4, no. 7, pp. 517–529, 2003.
- E. Carafoli, L. Santella, D. Branca, and M. Brini, “Generation, control, and processing of cellular calcium signals,” Critical Reviews in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 107–260, 2001.
- K. E. Hall, J. Liu, A. A. F. Sima, and J. W. Wiley, “Impaired inhibitory G-protein function contributes to increased calcium currents in rats with diabetic neuropathy,” Journal of Neurophysiology, vol. 86, no. 2, pp. 760–770, 2001.
- Z. Wei, L. Wang, J. Han et al., “Decreased expression of transient receptor potential vanilloid 1 impairs the postischemic recovery of diabetic mouse hearts,” Circulation Journal, vol. 73, no. 6, pp. 1127–1132, 2009.
- T. Strecker, A. Dieterle, P. W. Reeh, M. Weyand, and K. Messlinger, “Stimulated release of calcitonin gene-related peptide from the human right atrium in patients with and without diabetes mellitus,” Peptides, vol. 27, no. 12, pp. 3255–3260, 2006.
- J. X. Song, L. H. Wang, L. Yao, C. Xu, Z. H. Wei, and L. R. Zheng, “Impaired transient receptor potential vanilloid 1 in streptozotocin-induced diabetic hearts,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 134, no. 2, pp. 290–292, 2009.
- S. Hong and J. W. Wiley, “Early painful diabetic neuropathy is associated with differential changes in the expression and function of vanilloid receptor 1,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 280, no. 1, pp. 618–627, 2005.
- S. Mandadi, P. Armati, and B. D. Roufogalis, “Real-time translocation adn function of PKCbII isoform in response to nociceptive signaling via the TRPV1 pain receptor,” Pharmaceuticals, vol. 4, pp. 1503–1517, 2011.
- Y.-H. Jin, M. Takemura, A. Furuyama, and N. Yonehara, “Peripheral glutamate receptors are required for hyperalgesia induced by capsaicin,” Pain Research and Treatment, vol. 2012, Article ID 915706, 8 pages, 2012.