- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Endocrinology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 570413, 6 pages
Effects of Low-Dose Testosterone Undecanoate Treatment on Bone Mineral Density and Bone Turnover Markers in Elderly Male Osteoporosis with Low Serum Testosterone
Geriatric Department of the Second Xiang-Ya Hospital, Institute of Aging and Geriatric Research, Central South University, No. 139 Middle Renmin Road, Changsha, Hunan 410011, China
Received 24 December 2012; Revised 23 January 2013; Accepted 30 January 2013
Academic Editor: Guang-Da Xiang
Copyright © 2013 Yan-Jiao Wang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. T. Hannan, D. T. Felson, B. Dawson-Hughes et al., “Risk factors for longitudinal bone loss in elderly men and women: the Framingham osteoporosis study,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 710–720, 2000.
- O. Johnell and J. A. Kanis, “An estimate of the worldwide prevalence and disability associated with osteoporotic fractures,” Osteoporosis International, vol. 17, no. 12, pp. 1726–1733, 2006.
- S. Khosla, S. Amin, and E. Orwoll, “Osteoporosis in men,” Endocrine Reviews, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 441–464, 2008.
- A. C. Martin, “Osteoporosis in men: a review of endogenous sex hormones and testosterone replacement therapy,” Journal of Pharmacy Practice, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 307–315, 2011.
- Committee on Assessing the Need for Clinical Trials of Testosterone Replacement Therapy, “Executive summary,” in Testosterone and Aging: Clinical Research Directions, C. T. Liverman and D. G. Blazer, Eds., pp. 1–10, The National Academic Press, Washington, DC, USA, 2004.
- A. Morales, B. Johnston, J. P. W. Heaton, and M. Lundie, “Testosterone supplementation for hypogonadal impotence: assessment of biochemical measures and therapeutic outcomes,” Journal of Urology, vol. 157, no. 3, pp. 849–854, 1997.
- M. Zitzmann, A. Mattern, J. Hanisch, L. Gooren, H. Jones, and M. Maggi, “IPASS: a study on the tolerability and effectiveness of injectable testosterone undecanoate for the treatment of male hypogonadism in a worldwide sample of 1,438 men,” The Journal of Sexual Medicine, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 579–588, 2012.
- J. A. Kanis, L. J. Melton III, C. Christiansen, C. C. Johnston, and N. Khaltaev, “The diagnosis of osteoporosis,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 9, no. 8, pp. 1137–1141, 1994.
- H. K. Genant, C. Y. Wu, C. Van Kuijk, and M. C. Nevitt, “Vertebral fracture assessment using a semiquantitative technique,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 8, no. 9, pp. 1137–1148, 1993.
- S. Khosla, “Update in male osteoporosis,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 95, no. 1, pp. 3–10, 2010.
- K. S. Nair, R. A. Rizza, P. O'Brien et al., “DHEA in elderly women and DHEA or testosterone in elderly men,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 355, no. 16, pp. 1647–1659, 2006.
- J. K. Amory, N. B. Watts, K. A. Easley et al., “Exogenous testosterone or testosterone with finasteride increases bone mineral density in older men with low serum testosterone,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 89, no. 2, pp. 503–510, 2004.
- A. S. Midzak, H. Chen, V. Papadopoulos, and B. R. Zirkin, “Leydig cell aging and the mechanisms of reduced testosterone synthesis,” Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, vol. 299, no. 1, pp. 23–31, 2009.
- H. Y. Kang, C. L. Cho, K. L. Huang et al., “Nongenomic androgen activation of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/Akt signaling pathway in MC3T3-E1 osteoblasts,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 1181–1190, 2004.
- W. Balkan, K. L. Burnstein, P. C. Schiller et al., “Androgen-induced mineralization by MC3T3-E1 osteoblastic cells reveals a critical window of hormone responsiveness,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 328, no. 3, pp. 783–789, 2005.
- K. M. Wiren, A. C. Evans, and X. W. Zhang, “Osteoblast differentiation influences androgen and estrogen receptor-α and -β expression,” Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 175, no. 3, pp. 683–694, 2002.
- Q. Chen, H. Kaji, T. Sugimoto, and K. Chihara, “Testosterone inhibits osteoclast formation stimulated by parathyroid hormone through androgen receptor,” FEBS Letters, vol. 491, no. 1-2, pp. 91–93, 2001.
- L. Pederson, M. Kremer, J. Judd et al., “Androgens regulate bone resorption activity of isolated osteoclasts in vitro,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 96, no. 2, pp. 505–510, 1999.
- S. Amin, Y. Zhang, and C. T. Sawin, “Association of hypogonadism and estradiol levels with bone mineral density in elderlymen from the Framingham study,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 133, no. 12, pp. 951–963, 2000.
- T. G. Travison, A. B. Araujo, T. J. Beck et al., “Relation between serum testosterone, serum estradiol, sex hormone-binding globulin, and geometrical measures of adult male proximal femur strength,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 94, no. 3, pp. 853–860, 2009.
- B. L. Riggs, S. Khosla, and L. J. Melton, “Sex steroids and the construction and conservation of the adult skeleton,” Endocrine Reviews, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 279–302, 2002.
- L. Gennari, R. Nuti, and J. P. Bilezikian, “Aromatase activity and bone homeostasis in men,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 89, no. 12, pp. 5898–5907, 2004.
- L. Vandenput and C. Ohlsson, “Sex steroid metabolism in the regulation of bone health in men,” Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, vol. 121, no. 3–5, pp. 582–588, 2010.
- E. L. Rhoden and A. Morgentaler, “Risks of testosterone-replacement therapy and recommendations for monitoring,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 350, no. 5, pp. 482–492, 2004.
- S. Sengupta, H. J. Duncan, R. J. Macgregor, and J. M. Russell, “The development of prostate cancer despite late onset androgen deficiency,” International Journal of Urology, vol. 12, no. 9, pp. 847–848, 2005.
- S. Bhasin, G. R. Cunningham, F. J. Hayes et al., “Testosterone therapy in men with androgen deficiency syndromes: an endocrine society clinical practice guideline,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 95, no. 6, pp. 2536–2559, 2010.
- S. Bhasin, A. Zhang, A. Coviello et al., “The impact of assay quality and reference ranges on clinical decision making in the diagnosis of androgen disorders,” Steroids, vol. 73, no. 13, pp. 1311–1317, 2008.