- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Endocrinology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 613475, 9 pages
Effects of Age and Sex on Estimated Diabetes Prevalence Using Different Diagnostic Criteria: The Tromsø OGTT Study
1Tromsø Endocrine Research Group, Department of Clinical Medicine, University of Tromsø, 9037 Tromsø, Norway
2Division of Internal Medicine, University Hospital of North Norway, 9038 Tromsø, Norway
3Department of Community Medicine, University of Tromsø, 9037 Tromsø, Norway
4Department of Medical Biology, University of Tromsø, 9037 Tromsø, Norway
5Division of Laboratory Medicine, University Hospital of North Norway, 9038 Tromsø, Norway
Received 27 September 2012; Revised 4 December 2012; Accepted 5 December 2012
Academic Editor: Mario Maggi
Copyright © 2013 Moira Strand Hutchinson et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- World Health Organization, Use of Glycated Haemoglobin (HbA1c) in the Diagnosis of Diabetes Mellitus: Abbreviated Report of a WHO Consultation, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 2011.
- American Diabetes Association, “Diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus,” Diabetes Care, vol. 35, supplement 1, pp. S64–S71, 2012.
- D. B. Sacks, “A1C versus glucose testing: a comparison,” Diabetes Care, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 518–523, 2011.
- “Report of the expert committee on the diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus,” Diabetes Care, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 1183–1197, 1997.
- S. Colagiuri, C. M. Y. Lee, T. Y. Wong, B. Balkau, J. E. Shaw, and K. Borch-Johnsen, “Glycemic thresholds for diabetes-specific retinopathy: implications for diagnostic criteria for diabetes,” Diabetes Care, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 145–150, 2011.
- W. Rathmann, B. Kowall, T. Tamayo, et al., “Hemoglobin A1c and glucose criteria identify different subjects as having type 2 diabetes in middle-aged and older populations: The KORA S4/F4 Study,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 170–177, 2012.
- C. C. Cowie, K. F. Rust, D. D. Byrd-Holt et al., “Prevalence of diabetes and high risk for diabetes using A1C criteria in the U.S. population in 1988–2006,” Diabetes Care, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 562–568, 2010.
- R. Borg, D. Vistisen, D. R. Witte, and K. Borch-Johnsen, “Comparing risk profiles of individuals diagnosed with diabetes by OGTT and HbA1cThe Danish Inter99 study,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 906–910, 2010.
- S. A. Mostafa, M. J. Davies, D. Webb et al., “The potential impact of using glycated haemoglobin as the preferred diagnostic tool for detecting Type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 27, no. 7, pp. 762–769, 2010.
- E. Cosson, M. T. Nguyen, E. Hamo-Tchatchouang et al., “What would be the outcome if the American Diabetes Association recommendations of 2010 had been followed in our pratice in 1998–2006?” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 567–574, 2011.
- C. Lorenzo and S. M. Haffner, “Performance characteristics of the new definition of diabetes: the insulin resistance atherosclerosis study,” Diabetes Care, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 335–337, 2010.
- D. L. Christensen, D. R. Witte, L. Kaduka et al., “Moving to an A1C-based diagnosis of diabetes has a different impact on prevalence in different ethnic groups,” Diabetes Care, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 580–582, 2010.
- J. T. Saltevo, H. Kautiainen, L. Niskanen, et al., “Ageing and associations of fasting plasma glucose and 2h plasma glucose with HbA(1C) in apparently healthy population., “FIN-D2D” study,” Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice Journal, vol. 93, pp. 344–349, 2011.
- M. S. Hutchinson, R. M. Joakimsen, I. Njolstad, H. Schirmer, Y. Figenschau, and R. Jorde, “Haemoglobin A1c in diagnosis of diabetes mellitus and pre-diabetes, validation by oral glucose tolerance test. The Tromso OGTT Study,” Journal of Endocrinological Investigation, vol. 35, no. 9, pp. 835–840, 2012.
- R. R. Little, C. L. Rohlfing, and D. B. Sacks, “Status of hemoglobin A1c measurement and goals for improvement: from Chaos to order for improving diabetes care,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 205–214, 2011.
- A. Katz, S. S. Nambi, K. Mather et al., “Quantitative insulin sensitivity check index: a simple, accurate method for assessing insulin sensitivity in humans,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 85, no. 7, pp. 2402–2410, 2000.
- D. R. Matthews, J. P. Hosker, A. S. Rudenski, B. A. Naylor, D. F. Treacher, and R. C. Turner, “Homeostasis model assessment: Insulin resistance and β-cell function from fasting plasma glucose and insulin concentrations in man,” Diabetologia, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 412–419, 1985.
- M. Gutt, C. L. Davis, S. B. Spitzer et al., “Validation of the insulin sensitivity index (ISI0,120): comparison with other measures,” Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 177–184, 2000.
- “International Expert Committee report on the role of the A1C assay in the diagnosis of diabetes,” Diabetes Care, vol. 32, pp. 1327–1334, 2009.
- “Consequences of the new diagnostic criteria for diabetes in older men and women: The DECODE Study (Diabetes Epidemiology: Collaborative Analysis of Diagnostic Criteria in Europe),” Diabetes Care, vol. 22, no. 10, pp. 1667–1671, 1999.
- M. B. Davidson, “The effect of aging on carbohydrate metabolism: a review of the English literature and a practical approach to the diagnosis of diabetes mellitus in the elderly,” Metabolism: Clinical and Experimental, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 688–705, 1979.
- P. Iozzo, H. Beck-Nielsen, M. Laakso, U. Smith, H. Yki-Järvinen, and E. Ferrannini, “Independent influence of age on basal insulin secretion in nondiabetic humans,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 84, no. 3, pp. 863–868, 1999.
- P. Imbeault, J. B. Prins, M. Stolic et al., “Aging per se does not influence glucose homeostasis: in vivo and in vitro evidence,” Diabetes Care, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 480–484, 2003.
- K. Færch, K. Borch-Johnsen, A. Vaag, T. Jørgensen, and D. R. Witte, “Sex differences in glucose levels: a consequence of physiology or methodological convenience? the Inter99 study,” Diabetologia, vol. 53, no. 5, pp. 858–865, 2010.
- R. A. Sicree, P. Z. Zimmet, D. W. Dunstan, A. J. Cameron, T. A. Welborn, and J. E. Shaw, “Differences in height explain gender differences in the response to the oral glucose tolerance test—The AusDiab study,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 296–302, 2008.
- M. Boronat, P. Saavedra, L. Lopez-Rios, M. Riano, A. M. Wagner, and F. J. Nóvoa, “Differences in cardiovascular risk profile of diabetic subjects discordantly classified by diagnostic criteria based on glycated hemoglobin and oral glucose tolerance test,” Diabetes Care, vol. 33, no. 12, pp. 2671–2673, 2010.
- R. Borg, J. C. Kuenen, B. Carstensen et al., “HbA1cand mean blood glucose show stronger associations with cardiovascular disease risk factors than do postprandial glycaemia or glucose variability in persons with diabetes: The A1C-Derived Average Glucose (ADAG) study,” Diabetologia, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 69–72, 2011.
- K. T. Khaw, N. Wareham, S. Bingham, R. Luben, A. Welch, and N. Day, “Association of hemoglobin A1c with cardiovascular disease and mortality in adults: The European prospective investigation into cancer in Norfolk,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 141, no. 6, pp. 413–420, 2004.
- J. B. Meigs, D. M. Nathan, R. B. D'Agostino, and P. W. F. Wilson, “Fasting and postchallenge glycemia and cardiovascular disease risk: the framingham offspring study,” Diabetes Care, vol. 25, no. 10, pp. 1845–1850, 2002.
- The DECODE Study Group, “Glucose tolerance and cardiovascular mortality: comparison of fasting and 2-hour diagnostic criteria,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 161, pp. 397–405, 2001.
- A. C. Dale, K. Midthjell, T. I. Nilsen, R. Wiseth, and L. J. Vatten, “Glycaemic control in newly diagnosed diabetes patients and mortality from ischaemic heart disease: 20-year follow-up of the HUNT Study in Norway,” European Heart Journal, vol. 30, no. 11, pp. 1372–1377, 2009.
- E. Selvin, C. M. Crainiceanu, F. L. Brancati, and J. Coresh, “Short-term variability in measures of glycemia and implications for the classification of diabetes,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 167, no. 14, pp. 1545–1551, 2007.