- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Endocrinology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 631845, 5 pages
Vitamin D Deficiency and Insufficiency in Obese Children and Adolescents and Its Relationship with Insulin Resistance
1Department of Pediatrics, Medical Faculty, Bezmialem Vakif University, Fatih 3409, Istanbul, Turkey
2Department of Pediatric Endocrinology and Metabolism, Medical Faculty, Bezmialem Vakif University, Fatih 3409, Istanbul, Turkey
3Department of Pediatric Nephrology, Medical Faculty, Bezmialem Vakif University, Fatih 3409, Istanbul, Turkey
Received 24 January 2013; Revised 7 March 2013; Accepted 8 March 2013
Academic Editor: Ajai Kumar Srivastav
Copyright © 2013 Emel Torun et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. F. Holick and T. C. Chen, “Vitamin D deficiency: a worldwide problem with health consequences,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 87, no. 4, pp. 1080–1086, 2008.
- M. F. Holick, “Resurrection of vitamin D deficiency and rickets,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 116, no. 8, pp. 2062–2072, 2006.
- A. F. Hess, Collected Writings, vol. 1, Charles C Thomas, Springfield, III, USA, 1936.
- A. F. Hess and L. J. Unger, “The cure of infantile rickets by sunlight,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 77, article 39, 1921.
- M. F. Holick, “Medical progress: vitamin D deficiency,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 357, no. 3, pp. 266–281, 2007.
- M. C. Chapuy, A. M. Schott, P. Garnero, D. Hans, P. D. Delmas, and P. J. Meunier, “Healthy elderly French women living at home have secondary hyperparathyroidism and high bone turnover in winter,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 81, no. 3, pp. 1129–1133, 1996.
- D. Lapatsanis, A. Moulas, V. Cholevas, P. Soukakos, Z. L. Papadopoulou, and A. Challa, “Vitamin D: a necessity for children and adolescents in Greece,” Calcified Tissue International, vol. 77, no. 6, pp. 348–355, 2005.
- J. Guillemant, P. Taupin, H. T. Le et al., “Vitamin D status during puberty in French healthy male adolescents,” Osteoporosis International, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 222–225, 1999.
- M. Moussavi, R. Heidarpour, A. Aminorroaya, Z. Pournaghshband, and M. Amini, “Prevalence of vitamin D deficiency in Isfahani high school students in 2004,” Hormone Research, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 144–148, 2005.
- D. Olmez, E. Bober, A. Buyukgebiz, and D. Cimrin, “The frequency of vitamin D insufficiency in healthy female adolescents,” Acta Paediatrica, International Journal of Paediatrics, vol. 95, no. 10, pp. 1266–1269, 2006.
- S. Hatun, O. Islam, F. Cizmecioglu et al., “Subclinical vitamin D deficiency is increased in adolescent girls who wear concealing clothing,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 135, no. 2, pp. 218–222, 2005.
- S. Kadowaki and A. W. Norman, “Time course study of insulin secretion after 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 administration,” Endocrinology, vol. 117, no. 5, pp. 1765–1771, 1985.
- S. Lee, S. A. Clark, R. K. Gill, and S. Christakos, “1,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D3 and pancreatic β-cell function: vitamin D receptors, gene expression, and insulin secretion,” Endocrinology, vol. 134, no. 4, pp. 1602–1610, 1994.
- R. Scragg, I. Holdaway, V. Singh, P. Metcalf, J. Baker, and E. Dryson, “Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 levels decreased in impaired glucose tolerance and diabetes mellitus,” Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, vol. 121, no. 1-2, pp. 297–300, 2010.
- M. F. Holick, “Sunlight and vitamin D for bone health and prevention of autoimmune diseases, cancers, and cardiovascular disease,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 80, no. 6, pp. 1678–1688, 2004.
- A. F. Reis, O. M. Hauache, and G. Velho, “Vitamin D endocrine system and the genetic susceptibility to diabetes, obesity and vascular disease: a review of evidence,” Diabetes and Metabolism, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 318–325, 2005.
- M. I. Goran, G. D. C. Ball, and M. L. Cruz, “Cardiovascular endocrinology 2: obesity and risk of type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease in children and adolescents,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 88, no. 4, pp. 1417–1427, 2003.
- M. Smotkin-Tangorra, R. Purushothaman, A. Gupta, G. Nejati, H. Anhalt, and S. Ten, “Prevalence of vitamin D insufficiency in obese children and adolescents,” Journal of Pediatric Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 817–823, 2007.
- N. G. Forouhi, J. Luan, A. Cooper, B. J. Boucher, and N. J. Wareham, “Baseline serum 25-hydroxy vitamin d is predictive of future glycemic status and insulin resistance the medical research council ely prospective study 1990–2000,” Diabetes, vol. 57, no. 10, pp. 2619–2625, 2008.
- K. Rajakumar, J. de las Heras, S. Lee, M. F. Holick, and S. A. Arslanian, “25- Hydroxyvitamin D concentrations and in vivo insulin sensitivity and - cell function relative to insulin sensitivity in black and white youth,” Diabetes Care, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 627–633, 2012.
- R. Bundak, A. Furman, H. Gunoz, F. Darendeliler, F. Bas, and O. Neyzi, “Body mass index references for Turkish children,” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 194–198, 2006.
- T. J. Cole, M. C. Bellizzi, K. M. Flegal, and W. H. Dietz, “Establishing a standard definition for child overweight and obesity worldwide: international survey,” British Medical Journal, vol. 320, no. 7244, pp. 1240–1243, 2000.
- D. R. Matthews, J. P. Hosker, and A. S. Rudenski, “Homeostasis model assessment: insulin resistance and β-cell function from fasting plasma glucose and insulin concentrations in man,” Diabetologia, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 412–419, 1985.
- G. Valerio, M. R. Licenziati, A. Iannuzzi et al., “Insulin resistance and impaired glucose tolerance in obese children and adolescents from Southern Italy,” Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 279–284, 2006.
- S. F. Ahmed, C. Franey, H. McDewitt, et al., “Recent trends and clinical features of childhood vitamin D deficiency presenting to a children’s hospital in Glasgow,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 96, no. 7, pp. 694–625, 2011.
- F. M. Cizmecioğlu, N. Etiler, U. Görmüş, O. Hamzaoğlu, and S. Hatun, “Hypovitaminosis D in obese and overweight schoolchildren,” Journal of Clinical Research in Pediatric Endocrinology, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 89–96, 2008.
- M. L. Olson, N. M. Maalouf, J. D. Oden, P. C. White, and M. R. Hutchison, “Vitamin D deficiency in obese children and its relationship to glucose homeostasis,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 97, no. 1, pp. 279–285, 2012.
- M. A. Beydoun, A. Boueiz, M. R. Shroff, H. A. Beydoun, Y. Wang, and A. B. Zonderman, “Associations among 25-hydroxyvitamin D, diet quality, and metabolic disturbance differ by adiposity in adults in the United States,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 95, no. 8, pp. 3814–3827, 2010.
- S. Hatun, B. Ozkan, and A. Bereket, “Vitamin D deficiency and prevention: Turkish experience,” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 100, no. 9, pp. 1195–1199, 2011.
- P. M. Bourlon, A. Faure-Dussert, and B. Billaudel, “The de novo synthesis of numerous proteins is decreased during vitamin D3 deficiency and is gradually restored by 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 repletion in the islets of Langerhans of rats,” Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 162, no. 1, pp. 101–109, 1999.
- B. Billaudel, L. Barakat, and A. Faure-Dussert, “Vitamin D3 deficiency and alterations of glucose metabolism in rat endocrine pancreas,” Diabetes and Metabolism, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 344–350, 1998.
- M. Kajikawa, H. Ishida, S. Fujimoto et al., “An insulinotropic effect of vitamin D analog with increasing intracellular Ca2+ concentration in pancreatic β-cells through nongenomic signal transduction,” Endocrinology, vol. 140, no. 10, pp. 4706–4712, 1999.
- P. M. Bourlon, B. Billaudel, and A. Faure-Dussert, “Influence of vitamin D3 deficiency and 1,25 dihydroxyvitamin D3 on de novo insulin biosynthesis in the islets of the rat endocrine pancreas,” Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 160, no. 1, pp. 87–95, 1999.
- K. Rajakumar, J. D. Fernstrom, M. F. Holick, J. E. Janosky, and S. L. Greenspan, “Vitamin D status and response to vitamin D3 in obese vs. Non-obese African American children,” Obesity, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 90–95, 2008.
- T. Reinehr, G. de Sousa, U. Alexy, M. Kersting, and W. Andler, “Vitamin D status and parathyroid hormone in obese children before and after weight loss,” European Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 157, no. 2, pp. 225–232, 2007.
- A. Kelly, L. J. Brooks, S. Dougherty, D. C. Carlow, and B. S. Zemel, “A cross-sectional study of vitamin D and insulin resistance in children,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 96, no. 5, pp. 447–452, 2011.
- R. Alemzadeh, J. Kichler, G. Babar, and M. Calhoun, “Hypovitaminosis D in obese children and adolescents: relationship with adiposity, insulin sensitivity, ethnicity, and season,” Metabolism, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 183–191, 2008.
- B. Garanty-Bogacka, M. Syrenicz, J. Goral et al., “Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D, (25-OH-D) in obese adolescents,” Endokrynologia Polska, vol. 62, no. 6, pp. 506–511, 2011.