- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Endocrinology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 819584, 6 pages
Assessment of Carotid Atherosclerosis in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus Patients with Microalbuminuria by High-Frequency Ultrasonography
1Department of Diagnostic Ultrasound, Second Affiliated Hospital of Dalian Medical University, 467 Zhongshan Road, Dalian 116023, China
2Department of Diagnostic Ultrasound, Xin Hua Hospital of Dalian University, Dalian 116023, China
3Department of Endocrinology, Second Affiliated Hospital of Dalian Medical University, Dalian 116023, China
Received 5 December 2012; Accepted 21 February 2013
Academic Editor: Ilias Migdalis
Copyright © 2013 Yu-Hong Zhang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. King, R. E. Aubert, and W. H. Herman, “Global burden of diabetes, 1995–2025: prevalence, numerical estimates, and projections,” Diabetes Care, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 1414–1431, 1998.
- C. E. Mogensen, E. M. Damsgaard, A. Froland, S. Nielsen, N. D. F. Olivarius, and A. Schmitz, “Microalbuminuria in non-insulin-dependent diabetes,” Clinical Nephrology, vol. 38, supplement 1, pp. S28–S39, 1992.
- S. F. Dinneen and H. C. Gerstein, “The association of microalbuminuria and mortality in non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: a systematic overview of the literature,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 157, no. 13, pp. 1413–1418, 1997.
- T. Deckert, H. Yokoyama, E. Mathiesen et al., “Cohort study of predictive value of urinary albumin excretion for atherosclerotic vascular disease in patients with insulin dependent diabetes,” British Medical Journal, vol. 312, no. 7035, pp. 871–874, 1996.
- C. D. A. Stehouwer, M. A. Gall, J. W. R. Twisk, E. Knudsen, J. J. Emeis, and H. H. Parving, “Increased urinary albumin excretion, endothelial dysfunction, and chronic low-grade inflammation in type 2 diabetes: progressive, interrelated, and independently associated with risk of death,” Diabetes, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 1157–1165, 2002.
- H. Yokohama, J. S. Jensen, B. Myrup, E. R. Mathiesen, B. Rønn, and T. Deckert, “Raised serum sialic acid concentration precedes onset of microalbuminuria in IDDM: a 10-year follow up study,” Diabetes Care, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 435–440, 1996.
- T. Jensen, J. Bjerre-Knudsen, B. Feldt-Rasmussen, and T. Deckert, “Features of endothelial dysfunction in early diabetic nephropathy,” The Lancet, vol. 1, no. 8636, pp. 461–463, 1989.
- T. Deckert, B. Feldt-Rasmussen, K. Borch-Johnsen, T. Jensen, and A. Kofoed-Enevoldsen, “Albuminuria reflects widespread vascular damage. The steno hypothesis,” Diabetologia, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 219–226, 1989.
- T. Deckert, T. Jensen, B. Feldt-Rasmussen, A. Kofoed-Enevoldeen, K. Borch-Johnsen, and S. Stender, “Albuminuria a risk marker of atherosclerosis in insulin dependent diabetes mellitus,” Cardiovasc Risk Factors, no. 1, pp. 347–360, 1991.
- G. Belcaro, A. N. Nicolaides, G. Laurora et al., “Ultrasound morphology classification of the arterial wall and cardiovascular events in a 6-year follow-up study,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 851–856, 1996.
- M. G. Veller, C. M. Fisher, A. N. Nicolaides et al., “Measurement of the ultrasonic intima-media complex thickness in normal subjects,” Journal of Vascular Surgery, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 719–725, 1993.
- T. S. Temelkova-Kurktschiev, C. Koehler, W. Leonhardt et al., “Increased intimal-medial thickness in newly detected type 2 diabetes: risk factors,” Diabetes Care, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 333–338, 1999.
- T. Shinoda-Tagawa, Y. Yamasaki, S. Yoshida et al., “A phosphodiesterase inhibitor, cilostazol, prevents the onset of silent brain infarction in Japanese subjects with type II diabetes,” Diabetologia, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 188–194, 2002.
- S. Bernard, A. Sérusclat, F. Targe et al., “Incremental predictive value of carotid ultrasonography in the assessment of coronary risk in a cohort of asymptomatic type 2 diabetic subjects,” Diabetes Care, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 1158–1162, 2005.
- M. Bots, Wall thickness of the carotid artery as an indicator of generalized atherosclerosis [doctoral thesis], Erasmus University, Rotterdam, The Netherlands, 1993.
- M. R. Adams, A. Nakagomi, A. Keech et al., “Carotid intima-media thickness is only weakly correlated with the extent and severity of coronary artery disease,” Circulation, vol. 92, no. 8, pp. 2127–2134, 1995.
- D. H. O'Leary, J. F. Polak, R. A. Kronmal, et al., “Thickening of the carotid wall. A marker for atherosclerosis in the elderly? Cardiovascular Health Study Collaborative Research Group,” Stroke, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 224–231, 1996.
- S. Ebrahim, O. Papacosta, P. Whincup et al., “Carotid plaque, intima media thickness, cardiovascular risk factors, and prevalent cardiovascular disease in men and women: the British regional heart study,” Stroke, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 841–850, 1999.
- J. D. Spence, M. Eliasziw, M. DiCicco, D. G. Hackam, R. Galil, and T. Lohmann, “Carotid plaque area: a tool for targeting and evaluating vascular preventive therapy,” Stroke, vol. 33, no. 12, pp. 2916–2922, 2002.
- H. Yokoyama, T. Aoki, M. Imahori, and M. Kuramitsu, “Subclinical atherosclerosis is increased in type 2 diabetic patients with microalbuminuria evaluated by intima-media thickness and pulse wave velocity,” Kidney International, vol. 66, no. 1, pp. 448–454, 2004.
- S. W. Choi, W. J. Yun, H. Y. Kim et al., “Association between albuminuria, carotid atherosclerosis, arterial stiffness, and peripheral arterial disease in korean type 2 diabetic patients,” Kidney and Blood Pressure Research, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 111–118, 2010.
- P. S. Sidhu and S. R. Desai, “A simple and reproducible method for assessing intimal-medial thickness of the common carotid artery,” British Journal of Radiology, vol. 70, pp. 85–89, 1997.
- J. T. Salonen and R. Salonen, “Ultrasonographically assessed carotid morphology and the risk of coronary heart disease,” Arteriosclerosis and Thrombosis, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 1245–1249, 1991.
- J. M. Johnson, M. M. Kennelly, and D. Decesare, “Natural history of asymptomatic carotid plaque,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 120, no. 9, pp. 1010–1012, 1985.
- N. Nand, R. Jain, S. Seth, J. Sen, and M. Sharma, “A new marker of carotid atherosclerosis in middle aged adults: cystatin cormicroalbuminuria,” Indian Heart Journal, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 320–323, 2010.
- H. Yokoyama, B. Myrup, P. Rossing, and P. B. Østergaard, “Increased tissue factor pathway inhibitor activity in IDDM patients with nephropathy,” Diabetes Care, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 441–445, 1996.
- B. Myrup, H. Yokoyama, O. P. Kristiansen, P. B. Østergaard, and T. Olivecrona, “Release of endothelium-associated protein into blood by injection of heparin in normal subjects and in patients with type 1 diabetes,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 21, no. 10, pp. 1135–1140, 2004.
- H. Yokoyama and T. Deckert, “Central role of TGF-beta in the pathogenesis of diabetic nephropathy and macrovascular complications: a hypothesis,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 313–320, 1996.
- C. D. A. Stehouwer, R. M. A. Henry, J. M. Dekker, G. Nijpels, R. J. Heine, and L. M. Bouter, “Microalbuminuria is associated with impaired brachial artery, flow-mediated vasodilation in elderly individuals without and with diabetes: further evidence for a link between microalbuminuria and endothelial dysfunction—the Hoorn Study,” Kidney International, vol. 66, supplement 92, pp. S42–S44, 2004.
- M. Furtner, S. Kiechl, A. Mair et al., “Urinary albumin excretion is independently associated with carotid and femoral artery atherosclerosis in the general population,” European Heart Journal, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 279–287, 2005.
- H. Yokoyama, H. Sone, K. Saito, D. Yamada, J. Honjo, and M. Haneda, “Flow-mediated dilation is associated with microalbuminuria independent of cardiovascular risk factors in type 2 diabetes—interrelations with arterial thickness and stiffness,” Journal of Atherosclerosis and Thrombosis, vol. 18, no. 9, pp. 744–752, 2011.
- C. D. Saudek and J. C. Brick, “The clinical use of hemoglobin A1c,” Journal of Diabetes Science and Technology, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 629–634, 2009.
- R. D. Leslie and R. M. Cohen, “Biologic variability in plasma glucose, hemoglobin A1c, and advanced glycation end products associated with diabetes complications,” Journal of Diabetes Science and Technology, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 635–643, 2009.
- A. Goldin, J. A. Beckman, A. M. Schmidt, and M. A. Creager, “Advanced glycation end products: sparking the development of diabetic vascular injury,” Circulation, vol. 114, no. 6, pp. 597–605, 2006.
- J. M. Forbes, M. E. Cooper, M. D. Oldfield, and M. C. Thomas, “Role of advanced glycation end products in diabetic nephropathy,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 14, no. 8, supplement 3, pp. S254–S258, 2003.
- M. Hollander, M. L. Bots, A. I. del Sol et al., “Carotid plaques increase the risk of stroke and subtypes of cerebral infarction in asymptomatic elderly: the Rotterdam Study,” Circulation, vol. 105, no. 24, pp. 2872–2877, 2002.
- A. R. Moody, R. E. Murphy, P. S. Morgan et al., “Characterization of complicated carotid plaque with magnetic resonance direct thrombus imaging in patients with cerebral ischemia,” Circulation, vol. 107, no. 24, pp. 3047–3052, 2003.
- H. Shi, C. C. Mitchell, M. McCormick, M. A. Kliewer, R. J. Dempsey, and T. Varghese, “Preliminary in vivo atherosclerotic carotid plaque characterization using the accumulated axial strain and relative lateral shift strain indices,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 53, no. 22, pp. 6377–6394, 2008.