- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Endocrinology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 856189, 6 pages
The Role of Fluorine-18-Fluorodeoxyglucose Positron Emission Tomography in Aggressive Histological Subtypes of Thyroid Cancer: An Overview
1Department of Nuclear Medicine and Thyroid Centre, Oncology Institute of Southern Switzerland, Via Ospedale 12, 6500 Bellinzona, Switzerland
2Institute of Nuclear Medicine, Catholic University of the Sacred Heart, Largo Gemelli 8, 00168 Rome, Italy
3School of Medicine, Catholic University of the Sacred Heart, Largo Vito 1, 00168 Rome, Italy
Received 9 December 2012; Revised 11 March 2013; Accepted 24 March 2013
Academic Editor: Richard Wahl
Copyright © 2013 Giorgio Treglia et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. S. Cooper, G. M. Doherty, B. R. Haugen et al., “Revised American thyroid association management guidelines for patients with thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer,” Thyroid, vol. 19, no. 11, pp. 1167–1214, 2009.
- R. T. Kloos, C. Eng, D. B. Evans et al., “Medullary thyroid cancer: management guidelines of the American thyroid association,” Thyroid, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 565–612, 2009.
- R. C. Smallridge, K. B. Ain, S. L. Asa et al., “American association guidelines for management of patients with anaplastic thyroid cancer,” Thyroid, vol. 22, no. 11, pp. 1104–1139, 2012.
- F. Grünwald, T. Kälicke, U. Feine et al., “Fluorine-18 fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography in thyroid cancer: results of a multicentre study,” European Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 26, no. 12, pp. 1547–1552, 1999.
- G. Treglia, B. Muoio, L. Giovanella, and M. Salvatori, “The role of positron emission tomography and positron emission tomography/computed tomography in thyroid tumours: an overview,” European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology, 2012.
- L. Giovanella, “Positron emission tomography/computed tomography in patients treated for differentiated thyroid carcinomas,” Expert Review of Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 35–43, 2012.
- L. Giovanella, L. Ceriani, D. de Palma, S. Suriano, M. Castellani, and F. A. Verburg, “Relationship between serum thyroglobulin and 18FDG-PET/CT in 131I-negative differentiated thyroid carcinomas,” Head and Neck, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 626–631, 2012.
- U. Feine, R. Lietzenmayer, J. P. Hanke, H. Wohrle, and W. Muller-Schauenburg, “18FDG whole-body PET in differentiated thyroid carcinoma. Flipflop in uptake patterns of 18FDG and 131I,” NuklearMedizin, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 127–134, 1995.
- F. Grabellus, J. Nagarajah, A. Bockisch, K. W. Schmid, and S. Y. Sheu, “Glucose transporter 1 expression, tumor proliferation, and iodine/glucose uptake in thyroid cancer with emphasis on poorly differentiated thyroid carcinoma,” Clinical Nuclear Medicine, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 121–127, 2012.
- S. A. Hundahl, B. Cady, M. P. Cunningham et al., “Initial results from a prospective cohort study of 5583 cases of thyroid carcinoma treated in the United States during 1996. U.S. and German thyroid cancer study group: an American college of surgeons commission on cancer patient care evaluation study,” Cancer, vol. 89, no. 1, pp. 202–217, 2000.
- T. Abraham and H. Schöder, “Thyroid cancer-indications and opportunities for positron emission tomography/computed tomography imaging,” Seminars in Nuclear Medicine, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 121–138, 2011.
- A. Stojadinovic, R. A. Ghossein, A. Hoos et al., “Hürthle cell carcinoma: a critical histopathologic appraisal,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 19, no. 10, pp. 2616–2625, 2001.
- C. L. Blount and H. J. Dworkin, “F-18 FDG uptake by recurrent Hurthle cell carcinoma of the thyroid using high-energy planar scintigraphy,” Clinical Nuclear Medicine, vol. 21, no. 11, pp. 831–833, 1996.
- W. Wiesner, H. Engel, G. K. von Schulthess, G. P. Krestin, and I. Bicik, “FDG PET-negative liver metastases of a malignant melanoma and FDG PET-positive Hurthle cell tumor of the thyroid,” European Radiology, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 975–978, 1999.
- B. H. Lang, “The role of 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography in the prognostication, diagnosis, and management of thyroid carcinoma,” Journal of Thyroid Research, vol. 2012, Article ID 198313, 8 pages, 2012.
- D. A. Pryma, H. Schöder, M. Gönen, R. J. Robbins, S. M. Larson, and H. W. D. Yeung, “Diagnostic accuracy and prognostic value of 18F-FDG PET in Hürthle cell thyroid cancer patients,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 47, no. 8, pp. 1260–1266, 2006.
- V. J. Lowe, B. P. Mullan, I. D. Hay, B. McIver, and J. L. Kasperbauer, “18F-FDG PET of patients with Hürthle cell carcinoma,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 44, no. 9, pp. 1402–1406, 2003.
- M. Plotkin, H. Hautzel, B. J. Krause et al., “Implication of 2-18fluor-2-deoxyglucose positron emission tomography in the follow-up of Hürthle cell thyroid cancer,” Thyroid, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 155–161, 2002.
- T. Poisson, D. Deandreis, S. Leboulleux et al., “18F-fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography and computed tomography in anaplastic thyroid cancer,” European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, vol. 37, no. 12, pp. 2277–2285, 2010.
- T. V. Bogsrud, D. Karantanis, M. A. Nathan et al., “18F-FDG PET in the management of patients with anaplastic thyroid carcinoma,” Thyroid, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 713–719, 2008.
- C. Are and A. R. Shaha, “Anaplastic thyroid carcinoma: biology, pathogenesis, prognostic factors, and treatment approaches,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 453–464, 2006.
- S. Chiacchio, A. Lorenzoni, G. Boni, D. Rubello, R. Elisei, and G. Mariani, “Anaplastic thyroid cancer: prevalence, diagnosis and treatment,” Minerva Endocrinologica, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 341–357, 2008.
- B. McIver, I. D. Hay, D. F. Giuffrida et al., “Anaplastic thyroid carcinoma: a 50-year experience at a single institution,” Surgery, vol. 130, no. 6, pp. 1028–1034, 2001.
- N. Khan, N. Oriuchi, T. Higuchi, and K. Endo, “Review of fluorine-18-2-fluoro-2-deoxy-d-glucose positron emission tomography (FDG-PET) in the follow-up of medullary and anaplastic thyroid carcinomas,” Cancer Control, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 254–260, 2005.
- C. Mosci and A. Iagaru, “PET/CT imaging of thyroid cancer,” Clinical Nuclear Medicine, vol. 36, no. 12, pp. e180–e185, 2011.
- Y. E. Nikiforov, “Genetic alterations involved in the transition from well-differentiated to poorly differentiated and anaplastic thyroid carcinomas,” Endocrine Pathology, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 319–327, 2004.
- G. Garcia-Rostan, H. Zhao, R. L. Camp et al., “ras Mutations are associated with aggressive tumor phenotypes and poor prognosis in thyroid cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 21, no. 17, pp. 3226–3235, 2003.
- M. Volante, I. Rapa, M. Gandhi et al., “RAS mutations are the predominant molecular alteration in poorly differentiated thyroid carcinomas and bear prognostic impact,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 94, no. 12, pp. 4735–4741, 2009.
- W. W. Ma, H. Jacene, D. Song et al., “[18F]fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography correlates with Akt pathway activity but is not predictive of clinical outcome during mTOR inhibitor therapy,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 27, no. 16, pp. 2697–2704, 2009.
- M. Rivera, R. A. Ghossein, H. Schoder, D. Gomez, S. M. Larson, and R. M. Tuttle, “Histopathologic characterization of radioactive iodine-refractory fluorodeoxyglucose-positron emission tomography-positive thyroid carcinoma,” Cancer, vol. 113, no. 1, pp. 48–56, 2008.
- C. H. Kim, I. R. Yoo, Y. A. Chung et al., “Influence of thyroid-Stimulating hormone on 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose and 99mTc-methoxyisobutylisonitrile uptake in human poorly differentiated thyroid cancer cells in vitro,” Annals of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 131–136, 2009.
- R. Ghossein and V. A. Livolsi, “Papillary thyroid carcinoma tall cell variant,” Thyroid, vol. 18, no. 11, pp. 1179–1181, 2008.
- C. S. Kuo, K. T. Tang, J. D. Lin, A. H. Yang, C. H. Lee, and H. D. Lin, “Diffuse sclerosing variant of papillary thyroid carcinoma with multiple metastases and elevated serum carcinoembryonic antigen level,” Thyroid, vol. 22, no. 11, pp. 1187–1190, 2012.
- Y. H. Xu, H. J. Song, Z. L. Qiu, and Q. Y. Luo, “Extensive lymph node metastases found by (18)F-FDG-PET/CT in a patient with diffuse sclerosing variant of papillary thyroid carcinoma,” Hellenic Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 188–189, 2011.
- T. Z. Wong, M. K. Jain, and S. E. Spratt, “I-131, I-123, and F-18 FDG-PET imaging in a patient with diffuse sclerosing variant of papillary thyroid cancer,” Clinical Nuclear Medicine, vol. 33, no. 12, pp. 834–837, 2008.
- L. Giovanella, F. Fasolini, S. Suriano, and L. Mazzucchelli, “Hyperfunctioning solid/trabecular follicular carcinoma of the thyroid gland,” Journal of Oncology, vol. 2010, Article ID 635984, 4 pages, 2010.
- M. Diehl, S. Graichen, C. Menzel, E. Lindhorst, and F. Grünwald, “F-18 FDG PET in insular thyroid cancer,” Clinical Nuclear Medicine, vol. 28, no. 9, pp. 728–731, 2003.
- D. Deandreis, A. Al Ghuzlan, S. Leboulleux et al., “Do histological, immunohistochemical, and metabolic (radioiodine and fluorodeoxyglucose uptakes) patterns of metastatic thyroid cancer correlate with patient outcome?” Endocrine-Related Cancer, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 159–169, 2011.