- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Endocrinology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 897193, 9 pages
Selective Determinants of Low Bone Mineral Mass in Adult Women with Anorexia Nervosa
1Bone Diseases Service, Department of Internal Medicine Specialties, Geneva University Hospitals and Faculty of Medicine, Rue Gabrielle-Perret-Gentil 4, 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
2Central Laboratory of Clinical Chemistry, Geneva University Hospitals, 1221 Geneva, Switzerland
Received 7 November 2012; Revised 2 February 2013; Accepted 14 February 2013
Academic Editor: Ling-Qing Yuan
Copyright © 2013 Andrea Trombetti et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. A. Rigotti, S. R. Nussbaum, D. B. Herzog, and R. M. Neer, “Osteoporosis in women with anorexia nervosa,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 311, no. 25, pp. 1601–1606, 1984.
- N. A. Rigotti, R. M. Neer, S. J. Skates, D. B. Herzog, and S. R. Nussbaum, “The clinical course of osteoporosis in anorexia nervosa. A longitudinal study of cortical bone mass,” JAMA, vol. 265, no. 9, pp. 1133–1138, 1991.
- S. Grinspoon, E. Thomas, S. Pitts et al., “Prevalence and predictive factors for regional osteopenia in women with anorexia nervosa,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 133, no. 10, pp. 790–I42, 2000.
- P. Vestergaard, C. Emborg, R. K. Støving, C. Hagen, L. Mosekilde, and K. Brixen, “Fractures in patients with anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, and other eating disorders—a nationwide register study,” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 301–308, 2002.
- Y. M. Maugars, J. M. M. Berthelot, R. Forestier et al., “Follow-up of bone mineral density in 27 cases of anorexia nervosa,” European Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 135, no. 5, pp. 591–597, 1996.
- B. M. K. Biller, V. Saxe, D. B. Herzog, D. I. Rosenthal, S. Holzman, and A. Klibanski, “Mechanisms of osteoporosis in adult and adolescent women with anorexia nervosa,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 68, no. 3, pp. 548–554, 1989.
- S. Grinspoon, H. Baum, K. Lee, E. Anderson, D. Herzog, and A. Klibanski, “Effects of short-term recombinant human insulin-like growth factor I administration on bone turnover in osteopenic women with anorexia nervosa,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 81, no. 11, pp. 3864–3870, 1996.
- D. R. Counts, H. Gwirtsman, L. M. S. Carlsson, M. Lesem, and G. B. Cutler, “The effect of anorexia nervosa and refeeding on growth hormone-binding protein, the insulin-like growth factors (IGFs), and the IGF-binding proteins,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 75, no. 3, pp. 762–767, 1992.
- I. Legroux-Gérot, J. Vignau, M. D'Herbomez et al., “Evaluation of bone loss and its mechanisms in anorexia nervosa,” Calcified Tissue International, vol. 81, no. 3, pp. 174–182, 2007.
- L. Audí, D. M. Vargas, M. Gussinyé, D. Yeste, G. Martí, and A. Carrascosa, “Clinical and biochemical determinants of bone metabolism and bone mass in adolescent female patients with anorexia nervosa,” Pediatric Research, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 497–504, 2002.
- E. A. Lawson, K. K. Miller, M. A. Bredella et al., “Hormone predictors of abnormal bone microarchitecture in women with anorexia nervosa,” Bone, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 458–463, 2010.
- A. Bennett, T. Chen, and D. Feldman, “Characterization of insulin-like growth factor I receptors on cultured rat bone cells: regulation of receptor concentration by glucocorticoids,” Endocrinology, vol. 115, no. 4, pp. 1577–1583, 1984.
- E. Canalis, “Effect of insulinlike growth factor I on DNA and protein synthesis in cultured rat calvaria,” The Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 709–719, 1980.
- J. M. Hock, M. Centrella, and E. Canalis, “Insulin-like growth factor I has independent effects on bone matrix formation and cell replication,” Endocrinology, vol. 122, no. 1, pp. 254–260, 1988.
- O. G. Isaksson, A. Lindahl, A. Nilsson, and J. Isgaard, “Mechanism of the stimulatory effect of growth hormone on longitudinal bone growth,” Endocrine Reviews, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 426–438, 1987.
- T. L. McCarthy, M. Centrella, and E. Canalis, “Regulatory effects of insulin-like growth factors I and II on bone collagen synthesis in rat calvarial cultures,” Endocrinology, vol. 124, no. 1, pp. 301–309, 1989.
- L. A. Soyka, S. Grinspoon, L. L. Levitsky, D. B. Herzog, and A. Klibanski, “The effects of anorexia nervosa on bone metabolism in female adolescents,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 84, no. 12, pp. 4489–4496, 1999.
- “New weight standards for men and women,” Statistical Bulletin-Metropolitan Life Insurance Company, vol. 40, pp. 1–40, 1959.
- P. Morin, F. Herrmann, P. Ammann, B. Uebelhart, and R. Rizzoli, “A rapid self-administered food frequency questionnaire for the evaluation of dietary protein intake,” Clinical Nutrition, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 768–774, 2005.
- A. M. Boot, M. A. J. De Ridder, H. A. P. Pols, E. P. Krenning, and S. M. P. F. De Muinck Keizer-Schrama, “Bone mineral density in children and adolescents: relation to puberty, calcium intake, and physical activity,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 57–62, 1997.
- D. O. Slosman, R. Rizzoli, C. Pichard, A. Donath, and J. P. Bonjour, “Longitudinal measurement of regional and whole body bone mass in young healthy adults,” Osteoporosis International, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 185–190, 1994.
- D. O. Slosman, J. P. Casez, C. Pichard et al., “Assessment of whole-body composition with dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry,” Radiology, vol. 185, no. 2, pp. 593–598, 1992.
- A. C. Looker, H. W. Wahner, W. L. Dunn et al., “Updated data on proximal femur bone mineral levels of US adults,” Osteoporosis International, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 468–489, 1998.
- J. A. Kanis, L. J. Melton, C. Christiansen, C. C. Johnston, and N. Khaltaev, “Perpective: the diagnosis of osteoporosis,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 9, article 1137, 1994.
- S. D. Walter, M. Eliasziw, and A. Donner, “Sample size and optimal designs for reliability studies,” Statistics in Medicine, vol. 17, pp. 101–110, 1998.
- D. K. Katzman, L. K. Bachrach, D. R. Carter, and R. Marcus, “Clinical and anthropometric correlates of bone mineral acquisition in healthy adolescent girls,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 73, no. 6, pp. 1332–1339, 1991.
- D. R. Carter, M. L. Bouxsein, and R. Marcus, “New approaches for interpreting projected bone densitometry data,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 137–145, 1992.
- O. L. M. Bijvoet, D. B. Morgan, and P. Fourman, “The assessment of phosphate reabsorption,” Clinica Chimica Acta, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 15–24, 1969.
- B. Buchs, R. Rizzoli, and J. P. Bonjour, “Evaluation of bone resorption and renal tubular reabsorption of calcium and phosphate in malignant and nonmalignant hypercalcemia,” Bone, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 47–56, 1991.
- L. K. Bachrach, D. Guido, D. Katzman, I. F. Litt, and R. Marcus, “Decreased bone density in adolescent girls with anorexia nervosa,” Pediatrics, vol. 86, no. 3, pp. 440–447, 1990.
- E. Seeman, G. I. Szmukler, C. Formica, C. Tsalamandris, and R. Mestrovic, “Osteoporosis in anorexia nervosa: the influence of peak bone density, bone loss, oral contraceptive use, and exercise,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 7, no. 12, pp. 1467–1474, 1992.
- E. J. Waugh, D. B. Woodside, D. E. Beaton, P. CotI, and G. A. Hawker, “Effects of exercise on bone mass in young women with anorexia nervosa,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 755–763, 2011.
- J. E. Schebendach, K. J. Porter, C. Wolper, B. T. Walsh, and L. E. S. Mayer, “Accuracy of self-reported energy intake in weight-restored patients with anorexia nervosa compared with obese and normal weight individuals,” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 570–574, 2012.
- M. Hotta, I. Fukuda, K. Sato, N. Hizuka, T. Shibasaki, and K. Takano, “The relationship between bone turnover and body weight, serum insulin-like growth factor (IGF) I, and serum IGF-binding protein levels in patients with anorexia nervosa,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 200–206, 2000.
- J. P. Thissen, S. Triest, L. E. Underwood, M. Maes, and J. M. Ketelslegers, “Divergent responses of serum insulin-like growth factor-I and liver growth hormone (GH) receptors to exogenous GH in protein-restricted rats,” Endocrinology, vol. 126, no. 2, pp. 908–913, 1990.
- P. K. Fazeli, M. Misra, M. Goldstein, K. K. Miller, and A. Klibanski, “Fibroblast growth factor-21 may mediate growth hormone resistance in anorexia nervosa,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 95, no. 1, pp. 369–374, 2010.
- F. Minuto, A. Barreca, G. F. Adami et al., “Insulin-like growth factor-I in human malnutrition: relationship with some body composition and nutritional parameters,” Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 392–396, 1989.
- J. Niebauer, C. D. Pflaum, A. L. Clark et al., “Deficient insulin-like growth factor I in chronic heart failure predicts altered body composition, anabolic deficiency, cytokine and neurohormonal activation,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 393–397, 1998.
- A. R. Qureshi, A. Alvestrand, A. Danielsson et al., “Factors predicting malnutrition in hemodialysis patients: a cross- sectional study,” Kidney International, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 773–782, 1998.
- A. D. DiVasta, T. J. Beck, M. A. Petit, H. A. Feldman, M. S. LeBoff, and C. M. Gordon, “Bone cross-sectional geometry in adolescents and young women with anorexia nervosa: a hip structural analysis study,” Osteoporosis International, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 797–804, 2007.
- J. S. Garrow, “Underfeeding and overfeeding and their clinical consequences,” Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 363–368, 1976.
- R. J. Pfeiffer, A. R. Lucas, and D. M. Ilstrup, “Effect of anorexia nervosa on linear growth,” Clinical Pediatrics, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 7–12, 1986.
- M. Misra, D. Katzman, K. K. Miller et al., “Physiologic estrogen replacement increases bone density in adolescent girls with anorexia nervosa,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 26, no. 10, pp. 2430–2438, 2011.