- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Endocrinology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 976810, 7 pages
Analysis of Inflammatory Mediators in Type 2 Diabetes Patients
1Health & Social Development Sector, The Research Council of Oman, P.O. Box 1422, 130 Muscat, Oman
2Emergency Departments, Sultan Qaboos University Hospital (SQUH), P.O. Box 35, 123 Muscat, Oman
3Studies & Planning, Statistics Section, The Research Council, P.O. Box 1422, 130 Muscat, Oman
4Public Health, Armed Forces Medical Services Headquarters, Ministry of Defense, P.O. Box 928, 13 Muscat, Oman
5Department of Non-Communicable Diseases Surveillance and Control, Ministry of Health, P.O. Box 393, 100 Muscat, Oman
Received 5 March 2013; Accepted 10 April 2013
Academic Editor: Ilias Migdalis
Copyright © 2013 Ahmed Al-Shukaili et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Al-Shookri, G. L. Khor, Y. M. Chan, S. C. Loke, and M. Al-Maskari, “Type 2 diabetes in the Sultanate of Oman,” Malaysian Journal of Nutrition, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 129–141, 2011.
- J. A. Al-Lawati, M. N. Barakat, M. Al-Maskari, M. K. Elsayed, A. M. Al-Lawati, and A. J. Mohammed, “HbA1c levels among primary healthcare patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus in Oman,” Oman Medical Journal, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 465–470, 2012.
- J. C. Pickup and M. A. Crook, “Is type II diabetes mellitus a disease of the innate immune system?” Diabetologia, vol. 41, no. 10, pp. 1241–1248, 1998.
- R. Goyal, A. F. Faizy, S. S. Siddiqui, and M. Singhai, “Evaluation of TNF-α and IL-6 levels in obese and non-obese diabetics: pre- and post-insulin effects,” North American Journal of Medical Sciences, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 180–184, 2012.
- S. Cinti, G. Mitchell, G. Barbatelli et al., “Adipocyte death defines macrophage localization and function in adipose tissue of obese mice and humans,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 46, no. 11, pp. 2347–2355, 2005.
- S. P. Weisberg, D. McCann, M. Desai, M. Rosenbaum, R. L. Leibel, and A. W. Ferrante, “Obesity is associated with macrophage accumulation in adipose tissue,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 112, no. 12, pp. 1796–1808, 2003.
- K. Popko, E. Gorska, A. Stelmaszczyk-Emmel et al., “Proinflammatory cytokines Il-6 and TNF-α and the development of inflammation in obese subjects,” European Journal of Medical Research, vol. 15, pp. 120–122, 2010.
- F. B. Hu, J. B. Meigs, T. Y. Li, N. Rifai, and J. E. Manson, “Inflammatory markers and risk of developing type 2 diabetes in women,” Diabetes, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 693–700, 2004.
- M. I. Schmidt, B. B. Duncan, A. R. Sharrett et al., “Markers of inflammation and prediction of diabetes mellitus in adults (atherosclerosis risk in communities study): a cohort study,” The Lancet, vol. 353, no. 9165, pp. 1649–1652, 1999.
- A. Festa, R. D'Agostino Jr., R. P. Tracy, and S. M. Haffner, “Elevated levels of acute-phase proteins and plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 predict the development of type 2 diabetes: the insulin resistance atherosclerosis study,” Diabetes, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 1131–1137, 2002.
- A. D. Pradhan, J. E. Manson, N. Rifai, J. E. Buring, and P. M. Ridker, “C-reactive protein, interleukin 6, and risk of developing type 2 diabetes mellitus,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 286, no. 3, pp. 327–334, 2001.
- J. Spranger, A. Kroke, M. Möhlig et al., “Inflammatory cytokines and the risk to develop type 2 diabetes: results of the prospective population-based european prospective investigation into cancer and nutrition (EPIC)-potsdam study,” Diabetes, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 812–817, 2003.
- G. Mavridis, E. Souliou, E. Diza et al., “Inflammatory cytokines in insulin-treated patients with type 2 diabetes,” Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 471–476, 2008.
- M. Mishra, H. Kumar, S. Bajpai, R. K. Singh, and K. Tripathi, “Level of serum IL-12 and its correlation with endothelial dysfunction, insulin resistance, proinflammatory cytokines and lipid profile in newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes,” Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, vol. 94, no. 2, pp. 255–261, 2011.
- M. Yang, H. Gan, Q. Shen, W. Tang, X. Du, and D. Chen, “Proinflammatory CD14+CD16+ monocytes are associated with microinflammation in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus and diabetic nephropathy uremia,” Inflammation, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 388–396, 2012.
- P. Marques-Vidal, F. Bastardot, R. von Känel et al., “Association between circulating cytokine levels, diabetes and insulin resistance in a population-based sample,” Clinical Endocrinology, vol. 78, no. 2, pp. 232–241, 2013.
- L. Utsal, V. Tillmann, M. Zilmer et al., “Elevated serum IL-6, IL-8, MCP-1, CRP, and IFN-γ levels in 10- to 11-year-old boys with increased BMI,” Hormones Research and Pediatric, vol. 78, no. 1, pp. 31–39, 2012.
- L. Khaodhiar, P. R. Ling, G. L. Blackburn, and B. R. Bistrian, “Serum levels of interleukin-6 and C-reactive protein correlate with body mass index across the broad range of obesity,” Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 410–415, 2004.
- J. J. Senn, P. J. Klover, I. A. Nowak, and R. A. Mooney, “Interleukin-6 induces cellular insulin resistance in hepatocytes,” Diabetes, vol. 51, no. 12, pp. 3391–3399, 2002.
- C. Savoia and E. L. Schiffrin, “Reduction of C-reactive protein and the use of anti-hypertensives,” Vascular Health and Risk Management, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 975–983, 2007.