- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Endocrinology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 987186, 7 pages
A Novel, Homozygous c.1502T>G (p.Val501Gly) Mutation in the Thyroid peroxidase Gene in Malaysian Sisters with Congenital Hypothyroidism and Multinodular Goiter
1Department of Molecular Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaya, 50603 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2Department of Paediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaya, 50603 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3Department of Pharmacy, Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaya, 50603 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Received 29 December 2012; Accepted 9 April 2013
Academic Editor: Furio M. Pacini
Copyright © 2013 Ching Chin Lee et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. A. Fisher, J. H. Dussault, and T. P. Foley Jr., “Screening for congenital hypothyroidism: results of screening one million North American infants,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 94, no. 5, pp. 700–705, 1979.
- F. Delange, “Neonatal screening for congenital hypothyroidism in Europe. Report of the Newborn Committee of the European Thyroid Association,” Acta Endocrinologica, vol. 223, pp. 3–29, 1979.
- L. L. Wu, B. S. Sazali, N. Adeeb, and B. A. K. Khalid, “Congenital hypothyroid screening using cord blood TSH,” Singapore Medical Journal, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 23–26, 1999.
- A. Gruters, “Congenital hypothyroidism,” Pediatric Annals, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 15–28, 1992.
- A. Mangllabruks, A. E. C. Billerbeck, B. Wajchenberg et al., “Genetic linkage studies of thyroid peroxidase (TPO) gene in families with TPO deficiency,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 72, no. 2, pp. 471–476, 1991.
- V. Varela, C. M. Rivolta, S. A. Esperante, L. Gruneiro-Papendieck, A. Chiesa, and H. M. Targovnik, “Three mutations (p.Q36H, p.G418fsX482, and g.IVS19-2A>C) in the dual oxidase 2 gene responsible for congenital goiter and iodide organification defect,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 182–191, 2006.
- J. Pohlenz and S. Refetoff, “Mutations in the sodium/iodide symporter (NIS) gene as a cause for iodide transport defects and congenital hypothyroidism,” Biochimie, vol. 81, no. 5, pp. 469–476, 1999.
- T. Ieiri, P. Cochaux, H. M. Targovnik et al., “A 3' splice site mutation in the thyroglobulin gene responsible for congenital goiter with hypothyroidism,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 88, no. 6, pp. 1901–1905, 1991.
- S. Narumi, K. Muroya, Y. Abe et al., “TSHR mutations as a cause of congenital hypothyroidism in Japan: a population-based genetic epidemiology study,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 94, no. 4, pp. 1317–1323, 2009.
- Y. Endo, S. Onogi, K. Umeki et al., “Regional localization of the gene for thyroid peroxidase to human chromosome 2p25 and mouse chromosome 12C,” Genomics, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 760–761, 1995.
- S. Kimura, T. Kotani, and O. W. McBride, “Human thyroid peroxidase: complete cDNA and protein sequence, chromosome mapping, and identification of two alternately spliced mRNAs,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 84, no. 16, pp. 5555–5559, 1987.
- F. Cetani, S. Costagliola, M. Tonacchera, V. Panneels, G. Vassart, and M. Ludgate, “The thyroperoxidase doublet is not produced by alternative splicing,” Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, vol. 115, no. 2, pp. 125–132, 1995.
- A. Gardas, A. Lewartowska, B. J. Sutton, Z. Pasieka, A. M. Mcgregor, and J. P. Banga, “Human thyroid peroxidase (TPO) isoforms, TPO-1 and TPO-2: analysis of protein expression in Graves' thyroid tissue,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 82, no. 11, pp. 3752–3757, 1997.
- C. Ris-Stalpers and H. Bikker, “Genetics and phenomics of hypothyroidism and goiter due to TPO mutations,” Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, vol. 322, no. 1-2, pp. 38–43, 2010.
- B. Bakker, H. Bikker, T. Vulsma, J. S. E. De Randamie, B. M. Wiedijk, and J. J. M. De Vijlder, “Two decades of screening for congenital hypothyroidism in the Netherlands: TPO gene mutations in total iodide organification defects (an update),” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 85, no. 10, pp. 3708–3712, 2000.
- S. M. Park and V. K. K. Chatterjee, “Genetics of congenital hypothyroidism,” Journal of Medical Genetics, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 379–389, 2005.
- L. Fugazzola, N. Cerutti, D. Mannavola et al., “Monoallelic expression of mutant thyroid peroxidase allele causing total iodide organification defect,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 88, no. 7, pp. 3264–3271, 2003.
- C. M. Rivolta, S. A. Esperante, L. Gruñeiro-Papendieck et al., “Five novel inactivating mutations in the thyroid peroxidase gene responsible for congenital goiter and iodide organification defect,” Human Mutation, vol. 22, no. 3, p. 259, 2003.
- J. Y. Wu, S. G. Shu, C. F. Yang, C. C. Lee, and F. J. Tsai, “Mutation analysis of thyroid peroxidase gene in Chinese patients with total iodide organification defect: identification of five novel mutations,” Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 172, no. 3, pp. 627–635, 2002.
- I. A. Adzhubei, S. Schmidt, L. Peshkin et al., “A method and server for predicting damaging missense mutations,” Nature Methods, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 248–249, 2010.
- P. C. Ng and S. Henikoff, “Predicting deleterious amino acid substitutions,” Genome Research, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 863–874, 2001.
- S. F. Altschul, W. Gish, W. Miller, E. W. Myers, and D. J. Lipman, “Basic local alignment search tool,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 215, no. 3, pp. 403–410, 1990.
- D. W. Mount, “Using the Basic Local Alignment Search Tool (BLAST),” CSH Protocols, 2007.
- A. Sali and T. L. Blundell, “Comparative protein modelling by satisfaction of spatial restraints,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 234, no. 3, pp. 779–815, 1993.
- D. A. Case, T. A. Darden, T. E. Cheatham, et al., AMBER 10, University of California, San Francisco, Calif, USA, 2008.
- D. A. Case, T. E. Cheatham III, T. Darden et al., “The Amber biomolecular simulation programs,” Journal of Computational Chemistry, vol. 26, no. 16, pp. 1668–1688, 2005.
- K. Lindorff-Larsen, S. Piana, K. Palmo et al., “Improved side-chain torsion potentials for the Amber ff99SB protein force field,” Proteins, vol. 78, no. 8, pp. 1950–1958, 2010.
- R. A. Laskowski, M. W. MacArthur, D. S. Moss, and J. M. Thornton, “PROCHECK: a program to check the stereochemical quality of protein structures,” Journal of Applied Crystallography, vol. 26, pp. 283–291, 1993.
- R. Luthy, J. U. Bowie, and D. Eisenberg, “Assesment of protein models with three-dimensional profiles,” Nature, vol. 356, no. 6364, pp. 83–85, 1992.
- C. Colovos and T. O. Yeates, “Verification of protein structures: patterns of nonbonded atomic interactions,” Protein Science, vol. 2, no. 9, pp. 1511–1519, 1993.
- A. Taurog, “Molecular evolution of thyroid peroxidase,” Biochimie, vol. 81, no. 5, pp. 557–562, 1999.
- H. Bikker, F. Baas, and J. J. M. De Vijlder, “Molecular analysis of mutated thyroid peroxidase detected in patients with total iodide organification defects,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 649–653, 1997.
- S. Al-Fifi and C. Rodd, “Multinodular goiter in children,” Journal of Pediatric Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 749–756, 2001.
- M. Avbelj, H. Tahirovic, M. Debeljak et al., “High prevelance if thyroid peroxidase gene mutations in patients with thyroid dyshormonogenesis,” European Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 156, no. 5, pp. 511–519, 2007.
- C. Rodrigues, P. Jorge, J. P. Soares et al., “Mutation screening of the thyroid peroxidase gene in a cohort of 55 Portuguese patients with congenital hypothyroidism,” European Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 152, no. 2, pp. 193–198, 2005.
- M. J. Betts and R. B. Russell, “Amino acid properties and consequences of substitutions,” in BioinFormatics for Geneticists, M. R. Barnes and I. C. Gray, Eds., pp. 289–316, Wiley, West Sussex, UK, 2003.
- J. F. Lagorce, J. C. Thomes, G. Catanzano, J. Buxeraud, M. Raby, and C. Raby, “Formation of molecular iodine during oxidation of iodide by the peroxidase/H2O2 system. Implications for antithyroid therapy,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 42, pp. S89–S92, 1991.
- P. P. Gandolfi, A. Frisina, M. Raffa et al., “The incidence of thyroid carcinoma in multinodular goiter: retrospective analysis,” Acta Biomedica de l'Ateneo Parmense, vol. 75, no. 2, pp. 114–117, 2004.