- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Endocrinology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 987843, 6 pages
Maternal Thyroid Dysfunction and Neonatal Thyroid Problems
1Department of Pediatrics, Division of Neonatology, Marmara University School of Medicine, Istanbul, Turkey
2Yakacik Maternity and Children State Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
3Department of Pediatrics, Division of Endocrinology, Marmara University School of Medicine, Istanbul, Turkey
Received 8 May 2012; Accepted 3 April 2013
Academic Editor: Stephen L. Atkin
Copyright © 2013 Hulya Ozdemir et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- I. Idris, R. Srinivasan, and A. Simm, “Maternal hypothyroidism in early and late gestation: effects on neonatal and obstetric outcome,” Clinical Endocrinology, vol. 63, no. 5, pp. 560–565, 2005.
- M. Abalovich, N. Amino, L. A. Barbour et al., “Clinical practice guideline: management of thyroid dysfunction during pregnancy and postpartum: an endocrine society clinical practice guideline,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 92, supplement 8, pp. S1–S47, 2007.
- M. N. Montoro, “Management of hypothyroidism during pregnancy,” Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 65–80, 1997.
- L. E. Davis, K. J. Leveno, and E. G. Cunningham, “Hypothyroidism complicating pregnancy,” Obstetrics & Gynecology, vol. 72, no. 1, pp. 108–112, 1988.
- R. C. Smallridge and P. W. Ladenson, “Hypothyroidism in pregnancy: consequences to neonatal health,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 86, no. 6, pp. 2349–2353, 2001.
- N. Wasserstrum and C. A. Anania, “Perinatal consequences of maternal hypothyroidism in early pregnancy and inadequate replacement,” Clinical Endocrinology, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 353–358, 1995.
- J. E. Haddow, G. E. Palomaki, W. C. Allan, et al., “Maternal thyroid deficiency during pregnancy andd subssequent neuroppsychological development of the child,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 341, no. 8, pp. 549–555, 1999.
- R. Z. Klein and M. L. Mitchell, “Maternal hypothyroidism and child development,” Hormone Research, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 55–59, 1999.
- V. J. Pop, E. P. Brouwers, H. L. Vader, T. Vulsma, A. L. van Baar, and J. J. de Vijlder, “Maternal hypothyroxinaemia during early pregnancy and subsequent child development: a 3-year follow-up study,” Clinical Endocrinology, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 282–288, 2003.
- E. K. Alexander, E. Marqusee, J. Lawrence, P. Jarolim, G. A. Fischer, and P. R. Larsen, “Timing and magnitude of increases in levothyroxine requirements during pregnancy in women with hypothyroidism,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 351, no. 3, pp. 241–349, 2004.
- M. Medici, S. Timmermans, W. Visser, et al., “Maternal thyroid hormone parameters during early pregnancy and birth weight: the Generation R study,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 98, no. 3, pp. 59–66, 2013.
- M. Medici, Y. B. de Rijke, R. P. Peeters, et al., “Maternal early pregnancy and newborn thyroid hormone parameters: the Generation R study,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 646–652, 2012.
- S. B. Feingold and R. S. Brown, “Neonatal thyroid function,” NeoReviews, vol. 11, no. 11, pp. e640–e646, 2010.
- S. Benvenga, A. Ordookhani, E. N. Pearce, M. Tonacchera, F. Azizi, and L. E. Braverman, “Detection of circulating autoantibodies against thyroid hormones in an infant with permanent congenital hypothyroidism and her twin with transient congenital hypothyroidism: possible contribution of thyroid hormone autoantibodies to neonatal and infant hypothyroidism,” The Journal of Pediatric Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 21, no. 10, pp. 1011–1020, 2008.
- S. Refetoff, J. Dumont, and G. Vassart, “Thyroid disorders,” in The Metabolic and Molecular Bases of Inherited Diseases, C. R. Scriver, A. L. Beaudet, W. S. Sly et al., Eds., pp. 4029–4075, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 8th edition, 2001.
- M. H. MacGillivray, “Congenital hypothyroidism,” in Pediatric Endocrinology: Mechanisms, Manifestations, and Management, O. H. Pescovitz and E. A. Eugster, Eds., pp. 490–507, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 1st edition, 2004.
- M. de Felice and R. di Lauro, “Thyroid development and its disorders: genetics and molecular mechanisms,” Endocrine Reviews, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 722–746, 2004.
- K. Kamijo, T. Saito, M. Sato et al., “Transient subclinical hypothyroidism in early pregnancy,” Endocrinologia Japonica, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 397–403, 1990.
- D. Glinoer, “The regulation of thyroid function in pregnancy: pathways of endocrine adaptation from physiology to pathology,” Endocrine Reviews, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 404–433, 1997.
- R. D. Ultiger, “Maternal hypothyroidism and fetal development,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 341, no. 8, pp. 601–602, 1999.
- G. A. Brent, “Maternal hypothyroidism: recognition and management,” Thyroid, vol. 9, no. 7, pp. 661–665, 1999.
- N. R. Campbell, B. B. Hasinoff, H. Stalts, B. Rao, and N. C. Wong, “Ferrous sulphate reduces thyroxine efficiacy in patients with hypothyroidism,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 117, no. 12, pp. 1010–1013, 1992.
- N. Singh, P. N. Singh, and J. M. Hershman, “Effect of calcium carbonate on the absorption of levothyroxine,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 283, no. 21, pp. 2822–2825, 2000.
- A. M. Leung, E. N. Pearce, and L. E. Braverman, “Iodine content of prenatal multivitamins in the United States,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 360, no. 9, pp. 939–940, 2009.
- S. Blazer, Y. Moreh-Waterman, R. Miller-Lotan, A. Tamir, and Z. Hochberg, “Maternal hypothyroidism may affect fetal growth and neonatal thyroid function,” Obstetrics & Gynecology, vol. 102, no. 2, pp. 232–241, 2003.
- B. Bonet and E. Herrera, “Different response to maternal hypothyroidism during the first and second half of gestation in the rat,” Endocrinology, vol. 122, no. 2, pp. 450–455, 1988.
- S. Q. Le, N. Wasserstrum, J. V. Mombouli, and P. M. Vanhoutte, “Contractile effect of endothelin in human placental veins: role of endothelium prostaglandins and thromboxane,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 169, no. 4, pp. 919–924, 1993.
- A. Stagnaro-Green, “Maternal thyroid disease and preterm delivery,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 94, no. 1, pp. 21–25, 2009.
- D. Glinoer, M. Riahi, J. P. Grun, and J. Kinthaert, “Risk of subclinical hypothyroidism in pregnant women with asymptomatic autoimmune thyroid disorders,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 79, no. 1, pp. 197–204, 1994.
- D. A. Fisher, M. R. Pandian, and E. Carlton, “Autoimmune thyroid disease: an expanding spectrum,” Pediatric Clinics of North America, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 907–918, 1987.
- J. H. Dussault, J. Letarte, H. Guyda, and C. Laberge, “Lack of influence of thyroid antibodies on thyroid function in the newborn infant and on a mass screening program for congenital hypothyroidism,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 96, no. 3 I, pp. 385–389, 1980.
- N. Matsuura, Y. Yamada, and Y. Nohara, “Familial neonatal transient hypothyroidism due to maternal TSH-binding inhibitor immunoglobulins,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 303, no. 13, pp. 738–741, 1980.
- R. S. Brown, R. L. Bellisario, D. Botero et al., “Incidence of transient congenital hypothyroidism due to maternal thyrotropin receptor-blocking antibodies in over one million babies,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 81, no. 3, pp. 1147–1151, 1996.
- J. H. Dussault and D. A. Fisher, “Thyroid function in mothers of hypothyroid newborns,” Obstetrics & Gynecology, vol. 93, no. 1, pp. 15–20, 1999.
- A. Korkmaz, E. F. Canpolat, M. Yurdakök, S. Yiğit, and G. Tekinalp, “Hashimato hastalığı olan annelerin bebeklerinin incelenmesi: retrospektif çalışma,” Çocuk Sağlığı ve Hastalıkları Dergisi, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 20–24, 2005.