- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Endocrinology
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 561214, 5 pages
Vitamin D Binding Protein and Bone Health
Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 5 Suite 750, 50 Staniford Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Received 24 February 2014; Accepted 4 May 2014; Published 1 June 2014
Academic Editor: Xiangbing Wang
Copyright © 2014 Ishir Bhan. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Speeckaert, G. Huang, J. R. Delanghe, and Y. E. C. Taes, “Biological and clinical aspects of the vitamin D binding protein (Gc-globulin) and its polymorphism,” Clinica Chimica Acta, vol. 372, no. 1-2, pp. 33–42, 2006.
- C. A. Piquette, R. Robinson-Hill, and R. O. Webster, “Human monocyte chemotaxis to complement-derived chemotaxins is enhanced by Gc-globulin,” Journal of Leukocyte Biology, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 349–354, 1994.
- O. A. Adebanjo, B. S. Moonga, J. G. Haddad, C. L.-H. Huang, and M. Zaidi, “A possible new role for vitamin D-binding protein in osteoclast control: inhibition of extracellular Ca2+ sensing at low physiological concentrations,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 249, no. 3, pp. 668–671, 1998.
- S. S. Papiha, L. C. Allcroft, R. M. Kanan, R. M. Francis, and H. K. Datta, “Vitamin D binding protein gene in male osteoporosis: association of plasma DBP and bone mineral density with (TAAA)(n)-Alu polymorphism in DBP,” Calcified Tissue International, vol. 65, no. 4, pp. 262–266, 1999.
- H. Cleve and J. Constans, “The mutants of the vitamin-D-binding protein: more than 120 variants of the GC/DBP system,” Vox Sanguinis, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 215–225, 1988.
- J. G. Haddad, “Plasma vitamin D-binding protein (Gc-globulin): multiple tasks,” Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, vol. 53, no. 1-6, pp. 579–582, 1995.
- J. Arnaud and J. Constans, “Affinity differences for vitamin D metabolites associated with the genetic isoforms of the human serum carrier protein (DBP),” Human Genetics, vol. 92, no. 2, pp. 183–188, 1993.
- T. O. Carpenter, J. H. Zhang, E. Parra et al., “Vitamin D binding protein is a key determinant of 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels in infants and toddlers,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 213–221, 2013.
- C. E. Powe, M. K. Evans, J. Wenger, et al., “Vitamin D-binding protein and vitamin D status of black Americans and white Americans,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 369, no. 21, pp. 1991–2000, 2013.
- A. L. Lauridsen, P. Vestergaard, and E. Nexo, “Mean serum concentration of vitamin D-binding protein (Gc globulin) is related to the Gc phenotype in women,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 753–756, 2001.
- J. E. Eichner, J. A. Cauley, R. E. Ferrell, S. R. Cummings, and L. H. Kuller, “Genetic variation in two bone-related proteins: is there an association with bone mineral density or skeletal size in postmenopausal women?” Genetic Epidemiology, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 177–184, 1992.
- Y. Ezura, T. Nakajima, M. Kajita et al., “Association of molecular variants, haplotypes, and linkage disequilibrium within the human vitamin D-binding protein (DBP) gene with postmenopausal bone mineral density,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 18, no. 9, pp. 1642–1649, 2003.
- A. L. Lauridsen, P. Vestergaard, A. P. Hermann, H. J. Moller, L. Mosekilde, and E. Nexo, “Female premenopausal fracture risk is associated with Gc phenotype,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 875–881, 2004.
- A. L. Lauridsen, P. Vestergaard, A. P. Hermann et al., “Plasma concentrations of 25-hydroxy-vitamin D and 1,25-dihydroxy-vitamin D are related to the phenotype of Gc (vitamin D-binding protein): a cross-sectional study on 595—early postmenopausal women,” Calcified Tissue International, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 15–22, 2005.
- M. Sinotte, C. Diorio, S. Bérubé, M. Pollak, and J. Brisson, “Genetic polymorphisms of the vitamin D binding protein and plasma concentrations of 25-hydroxyvitamin D in premenopausal women,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 89, no. 2, pp. 634–640, 2009.
- M. Pekkinen, E. Saarnio, H. T. Viljakainen, et al., “Vitamin D binding protein genotype is associated with serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and PTH concentrations, as well as bone health in children and adolescents in Finland,” PLOS ONE, vol. 9, no. 1, Article ID e87292, 2014.
- X.-H. Xu, D.-H. Xiong, X.-G. Liu et al., “Association analyses of vitamin D-binding protein gene with compression strength index variation in Caucasian nuclear families,” Osteoporosis International, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 99–107, 2010.
- A. Rapado, F. Hawkins, L. Sobrinho et al., “Bone mineral density and androgen levels in elderly males,” Calcified Tissue International, vol. 65, no. 6, pp. 417–421, 1999.
- Z. H. Al-Oanzi, S. P. Tuck, S. S. Mastana et al., “Vitamin D-binding protein gene microsatellite polymorphism influences BMD and risk of fractures in men,” Osteoporosis International, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 951–960, 2008.
- Y. E. C. Taes, S. Goemaere, G. Huang et al., “Vitamin D binding protein, bone status and body composition in community-dwelling elderly men,” Bone, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 701–707, 2006.
- D. D. Bikle, P. K. Siiteri, and E. Ryzen, “Serum protein binding of 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D: a reevaluation by direct measurement of free metabolite levels,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 61, no. 5, pp. 969–975, 1985.
- F. F. Safadi, P. Thornton, H. Magiera et al., “Osteopathy and resistance to vitamin D toxicity in mice null for vitamin D binding protein,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 103, no. 2, pp. 239–251, 1999.
- R. F. Chun, A. L. Lauridsen, L. Suon et al., “Vitamin D-binding protein directs monocyte responses to 25-hydroxy- and 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 95, no. 7, pp. 3368–3376, 2010.
- D. D. Bikle and E. Gee, “Free, and not total, 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D regulates 25-hydroxyvitamin D metabolism by keratinocytes,” Endocrinology, vol. 124, no. 2, pp. 649–654, 1989.
- C. M. Mendel, “The free hormone hypothesis: a physiologically based mathematical model,” Endocrine Reviews, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 232–274, 1989.
- D. D. Bikle, B. P. Halloran, and E. Gee, “Free 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels are normal in subjects with liver disease and reduced total 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 748–752, 1986.
- A. Vermeulen, L. Verdonck, and J. M. Kaufman, “A critical evaluation of simple methods for the estimation of free testosterone in serum,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 84, no. 10, pp. 3666–3672, 1999.
- C. E. Powe, C. Ricciardi, A. H. Berg et al., “Vitamin D-binding protein modifies the vitamin D-bone mineral density relationship,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 26, no. 7, pp. 1609–1616, 2011.
- I. Bhan, C. E. Powe, A. H. Berg et al., “Bioavailable vitamin D is more tightly linked to mineral metabolism than total vitamin D in incident hemodialysis patients,” Kidney International, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 84–89, 2012.
- B. W. Hollis and D. D. Bikle, “Vitamin D-binding protein and vitamin D in blacks and whites,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 370, no. 9, pp. 879–880, 2014.
- R. Bouillon, K. Jones, and I. Schoenmakers, “Vitamin D-binding protein and vitamin D in blacks and whites,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 370, no. 9, p. 879, 2014.
- C. E. Powe, S. A. Karumanchi, and R. Thadhani, “Vitamin D-binding protein and vitamin D in blacks and whites,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 370, no. 9, pp. 880–881, 2014.
- J. B. Schwartz, J. Lai, B. Lizaola, et al., “A comparison of direct and calculated free 25(OH) vitamin D levels in clinical populations,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 99, no. 5, pp. 1631–1637, 2014.