- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Endocrinology
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 631819, 6 pages
Association of High Vitamin D Status with Low Circulating Thyroid-Stimulating Hormone Independent of Thyroid Hormone Levels in Middle-Aged and Elderly Males
1Department of Endocrinology, The First Affiliated Hospital of Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, Jiangsu 210029, China
2Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, The Affiliated Jiangyin Hospital of Southeast University Medical College, Jiangyin, Jiangsu 214400, China
Received 5 November 2013; Revised 25 December 2013; Accepted 8 January 2014; Published 16 February 2014
Academic Editor: Zhongjian Xie
Copyright © 2014 Qingqing Zhang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. F. Holick, “Medical progress: vitamin D deficiency,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 357, no. 3, pp. 266–281, 2007.
- A. G. Pittas, J. Lau, F. B. Hu, and B. Dawson-Hughes, “Review: the role of vitamin D and calcium in type 2 diabetes. A systematic review and meta-analysis,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 92, no. 6, pp. 2017–2029, 2007.
- J. Mitri, M. D. Muraru, and A. G. Pittas, “Vitamin D and type 2 diabetes: a systematic review,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 65, no. 9, pp. 1005–1015, 2011.
- C. F. Garland, E. D. Gorham, S. B. Mohr, and F. C. Garland, “Vitamin D for cancer prevention: global perspective,” Annals of Epidemiology, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 468–483, 2009.
- K. L. Munger, S. M. Zhang, E. O'Reilly et al., “Vitamin D intake and incidence of multiple sclerosis,” Neurology, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 60–65, 2004.
- M. Cutolo and K. Otsa, “Vitamin D, immunity and lupus,” Lupus, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 6–10, 2008.
- M. F. Holick, “Vitamin D: extraskeletal health,” Endocrinology and Metabolism Clinics of North America, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 381–400, 2010.
- T. J. Wang, M. J. Pencina, S. L. Booth et al., “Vitamin D deficiency and risk of cardiovascular disease,” Circulation, vol. 117, no. 4, pp. 503–511, 2008.
- J. J. Cannell, R. Vieth, J. C. Umhau et al., “Epidemic influenza and vitamin D,” Epidemiology and Infection, vol. 134, no. 6, pp. 1129–1140, 2006.
- G. Tamer, S. Arik, I. Tamer, and D. Coksert, “Relative vitamin D insufficiency in Hashimoto's thyroiditis,” Thyroid, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 891–896, 2011.
- H. Orbach and Y. Shoenfeld, “Vaccination infection and autoimmunity: myth and reality VIAMR 2005-10-26-28, Beau-Rivage Palace Hotel, Lausanne, Switzerland,” Autoimmunity Reviews, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 261–266, 2007.
- J. P. Berg, K. M. Liane, S. B. Bjorhovde, T. Bjoro, P. A. Torjesen, and E. Haug, “Vitamin D receptor binding and biological effects of cholecalciferol analogues in rat thyroid cells,” Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, vol. 50, no. 3-4, pp. 145–150, 1994.
- L. O. Chailurkit, W. Aekplakorn, and B. Ongphiphadhanakul, “High vitamin D status in younger individuals is associated with low circulating thyrotropin,” Thyroid, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 25–30, 2013.
- W. Teng, Z. Shan, X. Teng et al., “Effect of iodine intake on thyroid diseases in China,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 354, no. 26, pp. 2783–2793, 2006.
- K. Prüfer, T. D. Veenstra, G. F. Jirikowski, and R. Kumar, “Distribution of 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 receptor immunoreactivity in the rat brain and spinal cord,” Journal of Chemical Neuroanatomy, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 135–145, 1999.
- M. Sar, W. E. Stumpf, and H. F. DeLuca, “Thyrotropes in the pituitary are target cells for 1,25 dihydroxy vitamin D3,” Cell and Tissue Research, vol. 209, no. 1, pp. 161–166, 1980.
- M. A. Smith, C. McHenry, R. Oslapas, C. Hofmann, P. Hessel, and E. Paloyan, “Altered TSH levels associated with increased serum 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3: a possible link between thyroid and parathyroid disease,” Surgery, vol. 106, no. 6, pp. 987–991, 1989.
- J. G. Hollowell, N. W. Staehling, W. Dana Flanders et al., “Serum TSH, T4, and thyroid antibodies in the United States population (1988 to 1994): national Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III),” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 489–499, 2002.
- C. Li, H. Guan, X. Teng et al., “An epidemiological study of the serum thyrotropin reference range and factors that influence serum thyrotropin levels in iodine sufficient areas of China,” Endocrine Journal, vol. 58, no. 11, pp. 995–1002, 2011.
- H. A. Gross, M. D. Appleman Jr., and J. T. Nicoloff, “Effect of biologically active steroids on thyroid function in man,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 242–248, 1971.
- K. Kinuta, H. Tanaka, T. Moriwake, K. Aya, S. Kato, and Y. Seino, “Vitamin D is an important factor in estrogen biosynthesis of both female and male gonads,” Endocrinology, vol. 141, no. 4, pp. 1317–1324, 2000.
- T. Yamada, Y. Takemura, I. Kobayashi, and K. Shichijo, “Re-evaluation of the effect of estrogen on thyroid activity in the rat and its mechanism,” Endocrinology, vol. 79, no. 5, pp. 849–857, 1966.
- E. M. Bogdanove and B. A. Eskin, “The influence of estrogen upon goiter induction in adult and immature rats,” Endocrinology, vol. 59, no. 6, pp. 688–694, 1956.
- D. Christianson, E. Roti, A. G. Vagenakis, and L. E. Braverman, “The sex-related difference in serum thyrotropin concentration is androgen mediated,” Endocrinology, vol. 108, no. 2, pp. 529–535, 1981.
- M.-C. Chapuy, P. Preziosi, M. Maamer et al., “Prevalence of vitamin D insufficiency in an adult normal population,” Osteoporosis International, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 439–443, 1997.
- R. Goswami, R. K. Marwaha, N. Gupta et al., “Prevalence of vitamin D deficiency and its relationship with thyroid autoimmunity in Asian Indians: a community-based survey,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 102, no. 3, pp. 382–386, 2009.