- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 285468, 9 pages
Rapid Evolution of Assortative Fertilization between Recently Allopatric Species of Drosophila
1Department of Biology, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
2Department of Biology, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14627-0211, USA
Received 15 July 2011; Accepted 11 October 2011
Academic Editor: Artyom Kopp
Copyright © 2012 Yasir H. Ahmed-Braimah and Bryant F. McAllister. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. A. Coyne and H. A. Orr, Speciation, Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, Mass, USA, 2004.
- C. T. Ting, S. C. Tsaur, M. L. Wu, and C. I. Wu, “A rapidly evolving homeobox at the site of a hybrid sterility gene,” Science, vol. 282, no. 5393, pp. 1501–1504, 1998.
- D. C. Presgraves, L. Balagopalan, S. M. Abmayr, and H. A. Orr, “Adaptive evolution drives divergence of a hybrid inviability gene between two species of Drosophila,” Nature, vol. 423, no. 6941, pp. 715–719, 2003.
- D. A. Barbash, D. F. Siino, A. M. Tarone, and J. Roote, “A rapidly evolving MYB-related protein causes species isolation in Drosophila,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 100, no. 9, pp. 5302–5307, 2003.
- J. P. Masly, C. D. Jones, M. A. F. Noor, J. Locke, and H. A. Orr, “Gene transposition as a cause of hybrid sterility in Drosophila,” Science, vol. 313, no. 5792, pp. 1448–1450, 2006.
- N. Phadnis and H. A. Orr, “A single gene causes both male sterility and segregation distortion in Drosophila hybrids,” Science, vol. 323, no. 5912, pp. 376–379, 2009.
- A. L. Sweigart, “The genetics of postmating, prezygotic reproductive isolation between Drosophila virilis and D. americana,” Genetics, vol. 184, no. 2, pp. 401–410, 2010.
- N. Sagga and A. Civetta, “Male female interactions and the evolution of postmating prezygotic reproductive isolation among species of the virilis subgroup,” International Journal of Evolutionary Biology, vol. 2011, 11 pages, 2011.
- J. T. Patterson, “The virilis group of Drosophila in Texas,” American Naturalist, vol. 75, pp. 523–539, 1941.
- J. T. Patterson and W. S. Stone, “The relationship of novamexicana to the other members of the virilis group,” University of Texas Publications, vol. 4920, pp. 7–17, 1949.
- L. H. Throckmorton, “The virilis species group,” in The Genetics and Biology of Drosophila, M. Ashburner, H. L. Carson, and J. N. Thompson Jr., Eds., vol. 3b, pp. 227–296, Academic Press, London, UK, 1982.
- D. I. Nurminsky, E. N. Moriyama, E. R. Lozovskaya, and D. L. Hartl, “Molecular phylogeny and genome evolution in the Drosophila virilis species group: duplications of the alcohol dehydrogenase gene,” Molecular Biology and Evolution, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 132–149, 1996.
- G. S. Spicer and C. D. Bell, “Molecular phylogeny of the Drosophila virilis species group (Diptera: Drosophilidae) inferred from mitochondrial 12S and 16S ribosomal RNA genes,” Annals of the Entomological Society of America, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 156–161, 2002.
- B. C. Caletka and B. F. McAllister, “A genealogical view of chromosomal evolution and species delimitation in the Drosophila virilis species subgroup,” Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 664–670, 2004.
- H. A. Orr and J. A. Coyne, “The genetics of postzygotic isolation in the Drosophila virilis group,” Genetics, vol. 121, no. 3, pp. 527–537, 1989.
- A. L. Sweigart, “Simple Y-autosomal incompatibilities cause hybrid male sterility in reciprocal crosses between Drosophila virilis and D. americana,” Genetics, vol. 184, no. 3, pp. 779–787, 2010.
- J. T. Patterson and W. S. Stone, Evolution in the Genus Drosophila, Macmillan, New York, NY, USA, 1952.
- G. S. Spicer, “The genetic basis of a species-specific character in the Drosophila virilis species group,” Genetics, vol. 128, no. 2, pp. 331–337, 1991.
- P. J. Wittkopp, B. L. Williams, J. E. Selegue, and S. B. Carroll, “Drosophila pigmentation evolution: divergent genotypes underlying convergent phenotypes,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 100, no. 4, pp. 1808–1813, 2003.
- P. J. Wittkopp, E. E. Stewart, L. L. Arnold et al., “Intraspecific polymorphism to interspecific divergence: genetics of pigmentation in Drosophila,” Science, vol. 326, no. 5952, pp. 540–544, 2009.
- G. S. Spicer, “Reevaluation of the phylogeny of the Drosophila virilis species group (Diptera: Drosophilidae),” Annals of the Entomological Society of America, vol. 85, pp. 11–25, 1992.
- H. Hilton and J. Hey, “DNA sequence variation at the period locus reveals the history of species and speciation events in the Drosophila virilis group,” Genetics, vol. 144, no. 3, pp. 1015–1025, 1996.
- H. Hilton and J. Hey, “A multilocus view of speciation in the Drosophila virilis species group reveals complex histories and taxonomic conflicts,” Genetical Research, vol. 70, no. 3, pp. 185–194, 1997.
- L. Orsini, S. Huttunen, and C. Schlötterer, “A multilocus microsatellite phylogeny of the Drosophila virilis group,” Heredity, vol. 93, no. 2, pp. 161–165, 2004.
- R. Morales-Hojas, C. P. Vieira, and J. Vieira, “Inferring the evolutionary history of Drosophila americana and Drosophila novamexicana using a multilocus approach and the influence of chromosomal rearrangements in single gene analyses,” Molecular Ecology, vol. 17, no. 12, pp. 2910–2926, 2008.
- B. F. McAllister, “Chromosomal and allelic variation in Drosophila americana: selective maintenance of a chromosomal cline,” Genome, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 13–21, 2002.
- B. F. McAllister, S. L. Sheeley, P. A. Mena, A. L. Evans, and C. Schlötterer, “Clinal distribution of a chromosomal rearrangement: a precursor to chromosomal speciation?” Evolution, vol. 62, no. 8, pp. 1852–1865, 2008.
- W. S. Stone and J. T. Patterson, “The species relationships in the virilis group,” University of Texas Publications, vol. 4720, pp. 157–160, 1947.
- T. C. Hsu, “Chromosomal variation and evolution in the virilis group of Drosophila,” University of Texas Publications, vol. 5204, pp. 35–72, 1952.
- H. T. Spieth, “Mating behavior and sexual isolation in the Drosophila virilis species group,” Behaviour, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 105–145, 1951.
- W. Sullivan, M. Ashburner, and R. S. Hawley, Drosophila Protocols, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor, NY, USA, 2002.
- J. A. Alipaz, C. I. Wu, and T. L. Karr, “Gametic incompatibilities between races of Drosophila melanogaster,” Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, vol. 268, no. 1469, pp. 789–795, 2001.
- D. J. Howard, P. G. Gregory, J. Chu, and M. L. Cain, “Conspecific sperm precedence is an effective barrier to hybridization between closely related species,” Evolution, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 511–516, 1998.
- C. S. C. Price, “Conspecific sperm precedence in Drosophila,” Nature, vol. 388, no. 6643, pp. 663–666, 1997.
- A. S. Chang, “Conspecific sperm precedence in sister species of Drosophila with overlapping ranges,” Evolution, vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 781–789, 2004.
- C. S. C. Price, C. H. Kim, C. J. Gronlund, and J. A. Coyne, “Cryptic reproductive isolation in the Drosophila simulans species complex,” Evolution, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 81–92, 2001.
- M. K. Manier, J. M. Belote, K. S. Berben, D. Novikov, W. T. Stuart, and S. Pitnick, “Resolving mechanisms of competitive fertilization success in Drosophila melanogaster,” Science, vol. 328, no. 5976, pp. 354–357, 2010.
- D. J. Howard, S. R. Palumbi, L. M. Birge, and M. K. Manier, “Sperm and speciation,” in Sperm Biology: An Evolutionary Perspective, T. R. Birkhead, D. J. Hosken, and S. Pitnick, Eds., pp. 367–403, Academic Press, Oxford, UK, 2009.
- T. Chapman, L. F. Liddle, J. M. Kalb, M. F. Wolfner, and L. Partridge, “Cost of mating in Drosophila melanogaster females is mediated by male accessory gland products,” Nature, vol. 373, no. 6511, pp. 241–244, 1995.
- W. R. Rice, “Sexually antagonistic male adaptation triggered by experimental arrest of female evolution,” Nature, vol. 381, no. 6579, pp. 232–234, 1996.
- T. R. Birkhead and A. P. Møller, Sperm Competition and Sexual Selection, Academic Press, San Diego, Calif, USA, 1998.
- G. T. Miller and S. Pitnick, “Sperm-female coevolution in Drosophila,” Science, vol. 298, no. 5596, pp. 1230–1233, 2002.
- M. F. Wolfner, “Battle and ballet: molecular interactions between the sexes in Drosophila,” Journal of Heredity, vol. 100, no. 4, pp. 399–410, 2009.
- D. J. Begun, P. Whitley, B. L. Todd, H. M. Waldrip-Dail, and A. G. Clark, “Molecular population genetics of male accessory gland proteins in Drosophila,” Genetics, vol. 156, no. 4, pp. 1879–1888, 2000.