- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Ecology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 856869, 13 pages
Plant Richness-Biomass Relationships in Restored Northern Great Plains Grasslands (USA)
1Range Science Graduate Program, School of Natural Resource Sciences, North Dakota State University, NDSU Dep. 7510, P.O. Box 6050, Fargo, ND 58108-6050, USA
2Natural Resources Management Interdisciplinary Program, School of Natural Resource Sciences, North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND 58108-6050, USA
3Natural Resources Management Interdisciplinary Program, School of Natural Resource Sciences, North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND 58108-6050, USA
Received 30 November 2010; Revised 4 March 2011; Accepted 25 March 2011
Academic Editor: Shibu Jose
Copyright © 2011 Mario E. Biondini et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. Tilman, D. Wedin, and J. Knops, “Productivity and sustainability influenced by biodiversity in grassland ecosystems,” Nature, vol. 379, no. 6567, pp. 718–720, 1996.
- E. M. Spehn, A. Hector, J. Joshi et al., “Ecosystem effects of biodiversity manipulations in european grasslands,” Ecological Monographs, vol. 75, no. 1, pp. 35–63, 2005.
- A. Hector, Y. Hautier, P. Saner, et al., “General stabilizing effects of plant diversity on grassland productivity through population asynchrony and overyielding,” Ecology, vol. 91, no. 8, pp. 2213–2220, 2010.
- L. N. Gillman and S. D. Wright, “The influence of productivity on the species richness of plants: a critical assessment,” Ecology, vol. 87, no. 5, pp. 1234–1243, 2006.
- B. J. Cardinale, J. P. Wright, M. W. Cadotte et al., “Impacts of plant diversity on production increase through time due to complementary resource use: a meta-analysis,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 104, no. 46, pp. 18123–18128, 2007.
- Y. Bai, J. Wu, Q. Pan et al., “Positive linear relationship between productivity and diversity: evidence from the eurasian steppe,” Journal of Applied Ecology, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 1023–1034, 2007.
- D. U. Hooper, F. S. Chapin III, J. J. Ewel et al., “Effects of biodiversity on ecosystem functioning: a consensus of current knowledge,” Ecological Monographs, vol. 75, no. 1, pp. 3–35, 2005.
- C. T. Osborn, F. Lacuna, and M. Linsenbigler, “The conservation reserve program: enrollment statistics for signup periods 1-11 and fiscal years 1990-92,” Technicle Report, Resources and Technology Division, Economic Research Service: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Washington, DC, USA, 1992.
- Farms Service Agency, “Conservation reserve program: annual summary and enrollment statistics-FY 2009,” 2009, http://www.fsa.usda.gov/Internet/FSA_File/fyannual2009.pdf.
- H. Johnson and M. D. Schwartz, “The conservation reserve program: habitat for grassland birds,” Great Plains Research, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 273–295, 1993.
- M. E. Biondini, “Plant diversity, production, stability, and susceptibility to invasion in restored northern tall grass prairies (United States),” Restoration Ecology, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 77–87, 2007.
- D. Tilman, P. B. Reich, J. Knops, D. Wedin, T. Mielke, and C. Lehman, “Diversity and productivity in a long-term grassland experiment,” Science, vol. 294, no. 5543, pp. 843–845, 2001.
- W. T. Barker and W. C. Whitman, “Vegetation of the northern great plains,” Rangelands, vol. 6, pp. 266–272, 1988.
- N. Levang-Brilz and M. E. Biondini, “Growth rate, root development and nutrient uptake of 55 plant species from the great plains grasslands, U.S.A,” Plant Ecology, vol. 165, no. 1, pp. 117–144, 2002.
- M. Biondini, “A three dimensional spatial model for plant competition in an heterogeneous soil environment,” Ecological Modelling, vol. 142, no. 3, pp. 189–225, 2001.
- H. Johnson and M. E. Biondini, “Root morphological plasticity and nitrogen uptake of 59 plant species from the great plains grasslands, U.S.A,” Basic and Applied Ecology, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 127–143, 2001.
- J. D. Bakker, S. D. Wilson, J. M. Christian, X. Li, L. G. Ambrose, and J. Waddington, “Contingency of grassland restoration on year, site, and competition from introduced grasses,” Ecological Applications, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 137–153, 2003.
- K. F. Higgins, “Lightning fires in north dakota grasslands and in pine-savanna lands of south dakota and montana,” Journal of Range Management, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 100–103, 1984.
- C. D. Bonham, Measurements for Terrestrial Vegetation, John Wiley and Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1989.
- S. Naeem, “Disentangling the impacts of diversity on ecosystem function in combinatorial experiments,” Ecology, vol. 83, no. 10, pp. 2925–2935, 2002.
- B. McCune and J. B. Grace, Analysis of Ecological Communities, MjM Software Design, Gleneden Beach, Ore, USA, 2002.
- D. Tilman, “Biodiversity: population versus ecosystem stability,” Ecology, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 350–363, 1996.
- B. J. Winer, Statistical Principles in Experimental Design, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 1962.
- G. W. Snedecor and W. G. Cochran, Statistical Methods, vol. 9, The Iowa State University Press, Ames, Iowa, USA, 1967.
- J. Weisberg, Applied Linear Regression, John Wiley and Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1980.
- D. U. Hooper, “The role of complementarity and competition in ecosystem responses to variation in plant diversity,” Ecology, vol. 79, no. 2, pp. 704–719, 1998.
- H. Bessler, V. M. Temperton, C. Roscher et al., “Aboveground overyielding in grassland mixtures is associated with reduced biomass partitioning to belowground organs,” Ecology, vol. 90, no. 6, pp. 1520–1530, 2009.
- J. D. Fridley, “The influence of species diversity on ecosystem productivity: how, where, and why?” Oikos, vol. 93, no. 3, pp. 514–526, 2001.
- J. He, F. A. Bazzaz, and B. Schmid, “Interactive effects of diversity, nutrients and elevated CO2 on experimental plant communities,” Oikos, vol. 97, no. 3, pp. 334–348, 2002.
- Q. Guo, T. Shaffer, and T. Buhl, “Community maturity, species saturation and the variant diversity- productivity relationships in grasslands,” Ecology Letters, vol. 9, no. 12, pp. 1284–1292, 2006.
- J. Hughes and J. Roughgarden, “Species diversity and biomass stability,” The American Naturalist, vol. 155, no. 5, pp. 618–627, 2000.
- I. Nijs and J. Roy, “How important are species richness, species evenness and inter-specific differences to productivity? A mathematical model,” Oikos, vol. 88, no. 1, pp. 57–66, 2000.
- M. W. Schwartz, C. A. Brigham, J. D. Hoeksema, K. G. Lyons, M. H. Mills, and P. J. van Mantgem, “Linking biodiversity to ecosystem function: implications for conservation ecology,” Oecologia, vol. 122, no. 3, pp. 297–305, 2000.
- B. J. Wilsey and C. Potvin, “Biodiversity and ecosystem functioning: importance of species evenness in an old field,” Ecology, vol. 81, no. 4, pp. 887–892, 2000.
- H. W. Polley, B. J. Wilsey, and J. D. Derner, “Do species evenness and plant density influence the magnitude of selection and complementarity effects in annual plant species mixtures?” Ecology Letters, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 248–256, 2003.
- J. E. Duffy, “Why biodiversity is important to the functioning of real-world ecosystems,” Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, vol. 7, no. 8, pp. 437–444, 2009.
- P. M. Vitousek and D. U. Hooper, “Biological diversity and terrestrial ecosystem biogeochemistry,” in Biodiversity and Ecosystem Function, E. D. Schulze and H. A. Mooney, Eds., pp. 3–14, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 1993.
- E. Marquard, A. Weigelt, V. M. Temperton et al., “Plant species richness and functional composition drive overyielding in a six-year grassland experiment,” Ecology, vol. 90, no. 12, pp. 3290–3302, 2009.
- R. M. May, Stability and Complexity in Model Ecosystems, Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, USA, 1973.
- S. J. McNaughton, “Diversity and stability of ecological communities: a comment on the role of empiricism in ecology,” The American Naturalist, vol. 111, no. 979, pp. 515–525, 1977.
- D. A. Frank and S. J. McNaughton, “Stability increases with diversity in plant communities: empirical evidence from the 1988 Yellowstone drought,” Oikos, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 360–362, 1991.
- D. Tilman and J. A. Downing, “Biodiversity and stability in grasslands,” Nature, vol. 367, no. 6461, pp. 363–365, 1994.
- D. F. Doak, D. Bigger, E. K. Harding, M. A. Marvier, R. E. O'Malley, and D. Thomson, “The statistical inevitability of stability-diversity relationships in community ecology,” The American Naturalist, vol. 151, no. 3, pp. 264–276, 1998.
- D. Tilman, C. L. Lehman, and C. E. Bristow, “Diversity-stability relationships: statistical inevitability or ecological consequence,” The American Naturalist, vol. 151, no. 3, pp. 277–282, 1998.
- D. Tilman, “The ecological consequences of changes in biodiversity: a search for general principles,” Ecology, vol. 80, no. 5, pp. 1455–1474, 1999.
- K. S. McCann, “The diversity—stability debate,” Nature, vol. 405, pp. 225–228, 2000.
- B. L. Foster, V. H. Smith, T. L. Dickson, and T. Hildebrand, “Invasibility and compositional stability in a grassland community: relationships to diversity and extrinsic factors,” Oikos, vol. 99, no. 2, pp. 300–307, 2002.
- A. B. Pfisterer and B. Schmid, “Diversity-dependent production can decrease the stability of ecosystem functioning,” Nature, vol. 416, no. 6876, pp. 84–86, 2002.
- H. W. Polley, B. J. Wilsey, and J. D. Derner, “Dominant species constrain effects of species diversity on temporal variability in biomass production of tallgrass prairie,” Oikos, vol. 116, no. 12, pp. 2044–2052, 2007.
- J. Maron and M. Marler, “Native plant diversity resists invasion at both low and high resource levels,” Ecology, vol. 88, no. 10, pp. 2651–2661, 2007.
- M. J. Rinella, M. L. Pokorny, and R. Rekaya, “Grassland invader responses to realistic changes in native species richness,” Ecological Applications, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 1824–1831, 2007.
- P. G. Dimitrakopoulos, A. S. D. Siamantziouras, I. Mprezetou, and A. Y. Troumbis, “The interactive effects of fire and diversity on short-term responses of ecosystem processes in experimental Mediterranean grasslands,” Environmental Management, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 826–839, 2006.