- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Ecology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 146073, 10 pages
A GIS Framework for Fish Habitat Prediction at the River Basin Scale
1Department of Ecology, Evolution and Natural Resources, Rutgers University, 14 College Farm Road, New Brunswick, NJ 08901, USA
2Department of Natural Resources, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14850, USA
Received 4 August 2011; Revised 19 October 2011; Accepted 2 November 2011
Academic Editor: Bruce Leopold
Copyright © 2012 Marcia S. Meixler and Mark B. Bain. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. Dudgeon, A. H. Arthington, M. O. Gessner et al., “Freshwater biodiversity: importance, threats, status and conservation challenges,” Biological Reviews of the Cambridge Philosophical Society, vol. 81, no. 2, pp. 163–182, 2006.
- J. Speth, The Bridge at the Edge of the World: Capitalism, the Environment and Crossing from Crisis to Stability, Yale University Press, London, UK, 2008.
- M. A. Palmer, C. A. Reidy Liermann, C. Nilsson et al., “Climate change and the world's river basins: anticipating management options,” Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 81–89, 2008.
- Z. Naveh and A. Lieberman, Landscape Ecology: Theory and Application, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 1994.
- L. A. Bojorquez-Tapia, I. Azuara, E. Ezcurra, and O. Flores-Villela, “Identifying conservation priorities in Mexico through geographic information systems and modeling,” Ecological Applications, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 215–231, 1995.
- K. Henle, D. Alard, J. Clitherow et al., “Identifying and managing the conflicts between agriculture and biodiversity conservation in Europe-A review,” Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, vol. 124, no. 1-2, pp. 60–71, 2008.
- D. H. Wright and J. H. Reeves, “On the meaning and measurement of nestedness of species assemblages,” Oecologia, vol. 92, no. 3, pp. 416–428, 1992.
- J. M. Scott, F. Davis, and B. Csuti, “Gap Analysis: a geographic approach to protection of biological diversity,” Wildlife Monographs, vol. 123, pp. 1–41, 1993.
- D. Tilman, D. Wedin, and J. Knops, “Productivity and sustainability influenced by biodiversity in grassland ecosystems,” Nature, vol. 379, no. 6567, pp. 718–720, 1996.
- D. Tilman, “Community invasibility, recruitment limitation, and grassland biodiversity,” Ecology, vol. 78, no. 1, pp. 81–92, 1997.
- C. Folke, S. Carpenter, B. Walker et al., “Regime shifts, resilience, and biodiversity in ecosystem management,” Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics, vol. 35, pp. 557–581, 2004.
- R. L. Kitching, “Biodiversity—political responsibilities and agendas for research and conservation,” Pacific Conservation Biology, vol. 1, pp. 279–283, 1994.
- K. D. Smythe, J. C. Bernabo, T. B. Carter, and P. R. Jutro, “Focusing biodiversity research on the needs of decision makers,” Environmental Management, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 865–872, 1996.
- T. Tscharntke, A. M. Klein, A. Kruess, I. Steffan-Dewenter, and C. Thies, “Landscape perspectives on agricultural intensification and biodiversity—ecosystem service management,” Ecology Letters, vol. 8, no. 8, pp. 857–874, 2005.
- K. Tucker, S. P. Rushton, R. A. Sanderson, E. B. Martin, and J. Blaiklock, “Modelling bird distributions—a combined GIS and Bayesian rule-based approach,” Landscape Ecology, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 77–93, 1997.
- M. S. Meixler, M. B. Bain, and M. Todd Walter, “Predicting barrier passage and habitat suitability for migratory fish species,” Ecological Modelling, vol. 220, no. 20, pp. 2782–2791, 2009.
- P. Angelstam, J.-M. Roberge, and A. Lõhmus, “Habitat modelling as a tool for landscape-scale conservation—a review of parameters for focal forest birds,” Ecological Bulletins, vol. 51, pp. 427–453, 2004.
- M. Powell, A. Accad, and A. Shapcott, “Geographic information system (GIS) predictions of past, present habitat distribution and areas for re-introduction of the endangered subtropical rainforest shrub Triunia robusta (Proteaceae) from south-east Queensland Australia,” Biological Conservation, vol. 123, no. 2, pp. 165–175, 2005.
- D. Scott, H. Moller, D. Fletcher et al., “Predictive habitat modelling to estimate petrel breeding colony sizes: sooty shearwaters (Puffinus griseus) and mottled petrels (Pterodroma inexpectata) on Whenua Hou Island,” New Zealand Journal of Zoology, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 291–306, 2009.
- K. Stachura-Skierczyńska, T. Tumiel, and M. Skierczyński, “Habitat prediction model for three-toed woodpecker and its implications for the conservation of biologically valuable forests,” Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 258, no. 5, pp. 697–703, 2009.
- T. W. Norton and J. E. Williams, “Habitat modelling and simulation for nature conservation: a need to deal systematically with uncertainty,” Mathematics and Computers in Simulation, vol. 33, no. 5-6, pp. 379–384, 1992.
- W. R. Gordon, “A role for comprehensive planning, geographical information system (GIS) technologies and program evaluation in aquatic habitat development,” Bulletin of Marine Science, vol. 55, no. 2-3, pp. 995–1013, 1994.
- A. S. L. Rodrigues, H. R. Akçakaya, S. J. Andelman et al., “Global gap analysis: priority regions for expanding the global protected-area network,” BioScience, vol. 54, no. 12, pp. 1092–1100, 2004.
- P. L. Angermeier and M. R. Winston, “Characterizing fish community diversity across Virginia landscapes: prerequisite for conservation,” Ecological Applications, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 335–349, 1999.
- C. A. Frissell, W. J. Liss, C. E. Warren, and M. D. Hurley, “A hierarchical framework for stream habitat classification: viewing streams in a watershed context,” Environmental Management, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 199–214, 1986.
- P. B. Moyle and J. P. Ellison, “A conservation-oriented classification system for the inland waters of California,” California Fish and Game, vol. 77, pp. 161–180, 1991.
- D. L. Rosgen, “A classification of natural rivers,” Catena, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 169–199, 1994.
- P. L. Angermeier and I. J. Schlosser, “Conserving aquatic biodiversity: beyond species and populations,” American Fisheries Society Symposium, vol. 17, pp. 402–414, 1995.
- J. V. Higgins, M. T. Bryer, M. L. Khoury, and T. W. Fitzhugh, “A freshwater classification approach for biodiversity conservation planning,” Conservation Biology, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 432–445, 2005.
- S. S. Wall, C. R. Berry, C. M. Blausey, J. A. Jenks, and C. J. Kopplin, “Fish-habitat modeling for gap analysis to conserve the endangered Topeka shiner (Notropis topeka),” Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, vol. 61, no. 6, pp. 954–973, 2004.
- S. P. Sowa, G. Annis, M. E. Morey, and D. D. Diamond, “A gap analysis and comprehensive conservation strategy for riverine ecosystems of Missouri,” Ecological Monographs, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 301–334, 2007.
- F. B. Lotspeich, “Watersheds as the basic ecosystem: this conceptual framework provides a basis for a natural classification system,” Water Resources Bulletin, vol. 16, pp. 581–586, 1980.
- R. J. Naiman, D. G. Lonzarich, T. J. Beechie, and S. C. Ralph, “General principles of classification and the assessment of conservation potential in rivers,” in River Conservation and Management, P. J. Boon, P. Calow, and G. E. Petts, Eds., pp. 93–124, John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, UK, 1992.
- L. P. Aadland, “Stream habitat types: their fish assemblages and relationship to flow,” North American Journal of Fisheries Management, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 790–806, 1993.
- C. L. Smith, The Inland fishes of New York State,, The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, Albany, NY, USA, 1985.
- H. H. Barnes Jr., “Roughness characteristics of natural channels,” Water Supply Paper 1849, U. S. Geological Survey, Washington, DC, USA, 1967.
- T. Dunne and L. B. Leopold, Water in Environmental Planning, W. H. Freeman, New York, NY, USA, 1978.
- A. J. Castelle, A. W. Johnson, and C. Conolly, “Wetland and stream buffer size requirements—a review,” Journal of Environmental Quality, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 878–882, 1994.
- N. E. Roth, J. David Allan, and D. L. Erickson, “Landscape influences on stream biotic integrity assessed at multiple spatial scales,” Landscape Ecology, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 141–156, 1996.
- J. D. Allan, “Landscapes and riverscapes: the influence of land use on stream ecosystems,” Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics, vol. 35, pp. 257–284, 2004.
- K. M. Mattson and P. L. Angermeier, “Integrating human impacts and ecological integrity into a risk-based protocol for conservation planning,” Environmental Management, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 125–138, 2007.
- R. T. T. Forman and L. E. Alexander, “Roads and their major ecological effects,” Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics, vol. 29, pp. 207–231, 1998.
- M. S. Meixler and M. B. Bain, “Landscape scale assessment of stream channel and riparian habitat restoration needs,” Landscape and Ecological Engineering, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 235–245, 2010.
- United States Environmental Protection Agency (US EPA), National water quality inventory: report to congress, 2002 Reporting Cycle, EPA 841-R-07-001, Office of Water, US Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, DC, USA, 2007.
- D. E. Blockstein, “An aquatic perspective on U.S. biodiversity policy,” Fisheries, vol. 17, pp. 26–30, 1992.
- M. Cairns and R. T. Lackey, “Biodiversity and management of natural resources: the issues,” Fisheries, vol. 17, pp. 6–10, 1992.
- R. M. Hughes and R. F. Noss, “Biological diversity and biological integrity: current concerns for lakes and streams,” Fisheries, vol. 17, pp. 11–19, 1992.
- C. L. Adamus and M. J. Bergman, “Estimating nonpoint source pollution loads with GIS screening model,” Water Resources Bulletin, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 647–655, 1995.
- M. S. Meixler and M. B. Bain, “A water quality model for regional stream assessment and conservation strategy development,” Environmental Management, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 868–880, 2010.
- United States Environmental Protection Agency (US EPA), Ambient water quality criteria recommendation: rivers and streams, EPA/822/b-00/020, US Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, DC, USA, 2000.
- W. Swietlik, Developing Water Quality Criteria for Suspended and Bedded Sediments (SABS): Potential Approaches, United States Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Water, Washington, DC, USA, 2003.
- I. J. Schlosser, “Trophic structure, reproductive success, and growth rate of fishes in a natural and modified headwater stream,” Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, vol. 39, no. 7, pp. 968–978, 1982.
- J. R. Karr, K. D. Fausch, P. L. Angermeier, P. R. Yant, and I. J. Schlosser, Assessing Biological Integrity in Running Waters: A Method and Its Rationale, Illinois Natural History Survey, Sullivan , Ill, USA, 1986.
- Ohio Environmental Protection Agency, Biological Criteria for the Protection of Aquatic Life: Vol. III. Standardized Biological Field Sampling and Laboratory Methods for Assessing Fish and Macroinvertebrate Communities, Ohio Environmental Protection Agency, Division of Water Quality Monitoring and Assessment, Columbus, Ohio, USA, 1989.
- W. D. Crumby, M. A. Webb, F. J. Bulow, and H. J. Cathey, “Changes in biotic integrity of a river in north-central Tennessee,” Transactions of the American Fisheries Society, vol. 119, pp. 885–893, 1990.
- R. G. Bramblett and K. D. Fausch, “Variable fish communities and the index of biotic integrity in a western Great Plains river,” Transactions of the American Fisheries Society, vol. 120, pp. 752–769, 1991.
- R. C. Petersen, “The RCE: a riparian, channel, and environmental inventory for small streams in the agricultural landscape,” Freshwater Biology, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 295–306, 1992.