- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Ecology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 256017, 12 pages
Underappreciated Consequences of Phenotypic Plasticity for Ecological Speciation
Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN 37996, USA
Received 25 July 2011; Revised 22 October 2011; Accepted 12 December 2011
Academic Editor: Andrew Hendry
Copyright © 2012 Benjamin M. Fitzpatrick. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [37 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Sven Geiselhardt, Tobias Otte, and Monika Hilker, “Looking for a similar partner: host plants shape mating preferences of herbivorous insects by altering their contact pheromones,” Ecology Letters, vol. 15, no. 9, pp. 971–977, 2012.
- Anssi Karvonen, and Ole Seehausen, “The Role of Parasitism in Adaptive Radiations—When Might Parasites Promote and When Might They Constrain Ecological Speciation?,” International Journal of Ecology, vol. 2012, pp. 1–20, 2012.
- Alexander F. Cerwenka, Paul Alibert, Joerg Brandner, Juergen Geist, and Ulrich K. Schliewen, “Phenotypic differentiation of Ponto-Caspian gobies during a contemporary invasion of the upper Danube River,” Hydrobiologia, 2013.
- Rachael L. Brown, “Learning, evolvability and exploratory behaviour: extending the evolutionary reach of learning,” Biology & Philosophy, 2013.
- Steve Smith, Louis Bernatchez, and Luciano B. Beheregaray, “RNA-seq analysis reveals extensive transcriptional plasticity to temperature stress in a freshwater fish species,” BMC Genomics, vol. 14, no. 1, 2013.
- Clint D. Kelly, Kaila E. Folinsbee, Dean C. Adams, and Michael D. Jennions, “Intraspecific Sexual Size and Shape Dimorphism in an Australian Freshwater Fish Differs with Respect to a Biogeographic Barrier and Latitude,” Evolutionary Biology, 2013.
- Carlos Prada, and Michael E. Hellberg, “Long prereproductive selection and divergence by depth in a caribbean candelabrum coral,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 110, no. 10, pp. 3961–3966, 2013.
- Lorena Ruiz-Montoya, and Juan Nunez-Farfan, “Testing Local Host Adaptation and Phenotypic Plasticity in a Herbivore When Alternative Related Host Plants Occur Sympatrically,” Plos One, vol. 8, no. 11, 2013.
- Scott P. Egan, Glen R. Hood, Gabriel DeVela, and James R. Ott, “Parallel Patterns of Morphological and Behavioral Variation among Host-Associated Populations of Two Gall Wasp Species,” Plos One, vol. 8, no. 1, 2013.
- Kristina M. Yim, Michael S. Brewer, Craig T. Miller, and Rosemary G. Gillespie, “Comparative Transcriptomics of Maturity-Associated Color Change in Hawaiian Spiders,” Journal of Heredity, vol. 105, pp. 771–781, 2014.
- F Aubret, “Island colonisation and the evolutionary rates of body size in insular neonate snakes,” Heredity, 2014.
- Etsuko Nonaka, Åke Brännström, and Richard Svanbäck, “Assortative mating can limit the evolution of phenotypic plasticity,” Evolutionary Ecology, 2014.
- Hans K. Stenoien, Kristian Hassel, Rossana Segreto, Rosalina Gabriel, Eric F. Karlin, A. Jonathan Shaw, and Kjell I. Flatberg, “High morphological diversity in remote island populations of the peat moss Sphagnum palustre: glacial refugium, adaptive radiation or just plasticity?,” Bryologist, vol. 117, no. 2, pp. 95–109, 2014.
- Robyn S Hetem, Andrea Fuller, Shane K Maloney, and Duncan Mitchell, “Responses of long-lived mammals to climate change,” Temperature, vol. 1, no. 2, 2014.
- Matthew R. J. Morris, Romain Richard, Erica H. Leder, Rowan D. H. Barrett, Nadia Aubin-Horth, and Sean M. Rogers, “Gene expression plasticity evolves in response to colonization of freshwater lakes in threespine stickleback,” Molecular Ecology, 2014.
- Biljana Stojkovic, Uros Savkovic, Mirko Dordevic, and Nikola Tucic, “Host-shift effects on mating behavior and incipient pre-mating isolation in seed beetle,” Behavioral Ecology, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 553–564, 2014.
- Carl D. Schlichting, and Matthew A. Wund, “Phenotypic Plasticity And Epigenetic Marking: An Assessment Of Evidence For Genetic Accommodation,” Evolution, vol. 68, no. 3, pp. 656–672, 2014.
- Lizelle J. Odendaal, David S. Jacobs, and Jacqueline M. Bishop, “Sensory trait variation in an echolocating bat suggests roles for both selection and plasticity,” Bmc Evolutionary Biology, vol. 14, 2014.
- Tobias Otte, Monika Hilker, and Sven Geiselhardt, “The Effect of Dietary Fatty Acids on the Cuticular Hydrocarbon Phenotype of an Herbivorous Insect and Consequences for Mate Recognition,” Journal of Chemical Ecology, 2014.
- Patricia M. Schulte, “What is environmental stress? Insights from fish living in a variable environment,” Journal of Experimental Biology, vol. 217, no. 1, pp. 23–34, 2014.
- Thomas C. Scott-Phillips, Kevin N. Laland, David M. Shuker, Thomas E. Dickins, and Stuart A. West, “The Niche Construction Perspective: A Critical Appraisal,” Evolution, 2014.
- Ian M. Ehrenreich, and David W. Pfennig, “Genetic assimilation: a review of its potential proximate causes and evolutionary consequences,” Annals of Botany, pp. mcv130, 2015.
- Aide Macias-Muñoz, Gilbert Smith, Antónia Monteiro, and Adriana D. Briscoe, “ Transcriptome-Wide Differential Gene Expression in Bicyclus anynana Butterflies: Female Vision-Related Genes Are More Plastic ,” Molecular Biology and Evolution, pp. msv197, 2015.
- Laura E. Eierman, and Matthew P. Hare, “ Reef-Specific Patterns of Gene Expression Plasticity in Eastern Oysters ( Crassostrea virginica ) ,” Journal of Heredity, pp. esv057, 2015.
- Hannu Mäkinen, Spiros Papakostas, Leif Asbjørn Vøllestad, Erica H. Leder, and Craig R. Primmer, “ Plastic and Evolutionary Gene Expression Responses Are Correlated in European Grayling ( Thymallus thymallus ) Subpopulations Adapted to Different Thermal Environments ,” Journal of Heredity, pp. esv069, 2015.
- E. J. Dowle, M. Morgan-Richards, F. Brescia, and S. A. Trewick, “ Correlation between shell phenotype and local environment suggests a role for natural selection in the evolution of Placostylus snails ,” Molecular Ecology, 2015.
- David I. Dayan, Douglas L. Crawford, and Marjorie F. Oleksiak, “ Phenotypic plasticity in gene expression contributes to divergence of locally adapted populations of Fundulus heteroclitus ,” Molecular Ecology, 2015.
- Milena Janković-Tomanić, Darka Šešlija Jovanović, Uroš Savković, Mirko Đorđević, Biljana Stojković, and Jelica Lazarević, “Host expansion modifies activity of phosphatases in a legume store pest Acanthoscelides obtectus (Say),” Journal of Stored Products Research, vol. 62, pp. 32–35, 2015.
- Etsuko Nonaka, Richard Svanbäck, Xavier Thibert-Plante, Göran Englund, and Åke Brännström, “Mechanisms by Which Phenotypic Plasticity Affects Adaptive Divergence and Ecological Speciation,” The American Naturalist, pp. E000–E000, 2015.
- K. B. Oke, M. Bukhari, R. Kaeuffer, G. Rolshausen, K. Räsänen, D. I. Bolnick, C. L. Peichel, and A. P. Hendry, “Does plasticity enhance or dampen phenotypic parallelism? A test with three lake-stream stickleback pairs,” Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 2015.
- Russell Lande, “Evolution of phenotypic plasticity in colonizing species,” Molecular Ecology, 2015.
- Tobias Otte, Monika Hilker, and Sven Geiselhardt, “Phenotypic plasticity of mate recognition systems prevents sexual interference between two sympatric leaf beetle species,” Evolution, 2016.
- Samuel L. Bourret, Christopher C. Caudill, and Matthew L. Keefer, “Diversity of juvenile Chinook salmon life history pathways,” Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries, 2016.
- Franziska S. Brunner, and Christophe Eizaguirre, “Can environmental change affect host/parasite-mediated speciation?,” Zoology, 2016.
- Alessandro Minelli, “Species diversity vs. morphological disparity in the light of evolutionary developmental biology,” Annals Of Botany, vol. 117, no. 5, pp. 781–794, 2016.
- Uroš Savković, Mirko ĐorĐević, Darka Šešlija Jovanović, Jelica Lazarević, Nikola Tucić, and Biljana Stojković, “Experimentally induced host-shift changes life-history strategy in a seed beetle,” Journal of Evolutionary Biology, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 837–847, 2016.
- Huai-Jun Xue, Jia-Ning Wei, Sara Magalhães, Bin Zhang, Ke-Qing Song, Jie Liu, Wen-Zhu Li, and Xing-Ke Yang, “Contact pheromones of 2 sympatric beetles are modified by the host plant and affect mate choice,” Behavioral Ecology, pp. arv238, 2016.