- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Ecology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 256017, 12 pages
Underappreciated Consequences of Phenotypic Plasticity for Ecological Speciation
Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN 37996, USA
Received 25 July 2011; Revised 22 October 2011; Accepted 12 December 2011
Academic Editor: Andrew Hendry
Copyright © 2012 Benjamin M. Fitzpatrick. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [18 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Sven Geiselhardt, Tobias Otte, and Monika Hilker, “Looking for a similar partner: host plants shape mating preferences of herbivorous insects by altering their contact pheromones,” Ecology Letters, vol. 15, no. 9, pp. 971–977, 2012.
- Anssi Karvonen, and Ole Seehausen, “The Role of Parasitism in Adaptive Radiations—When Might Parasites Promote and When Might They Constrain Ecological Speciation?,” International Journal of Ecology, vol. 2012, pp. 1–20, 2012.
- Alexander F. Cerwenka, Paul Alibert, Joerg Brandner, Juergen Geist, and Ulrich K. Schliewen, “Phenotypic differentiation of Ponto-Caspian gobies during a contemporary invasion of the upper Danube River,” Hydrobiologia, 2013.
- Rachael L. Brown, “Learning, evolvability and exploratory behaviour: extending the evolutionary reach of learning,” Biology & Philosophy, 2013.
- Steve Smith, Louis Bernatchez, and Luciano B. Beheregaray, “RNA-seq analysis reveals extensive transcriptional plasticity to temperature stress in a freshwater fish species,” BMC Genomics, vol. 14, no. 1, 2013.
- Clint D. Kelly, Kaila E. Folinsbee, Dean C. Adams, and Michael D. Jennions, “Intraspecific Sexual Size and Shape Dimorphism in an Australian Freshwater Fish Differs with Respect to a Biogeographic Barrier and Latitude,” Evolutionary Biology, 2013.
- Carlos Prada, and Michael E. Hellberg, “Long prereproductive selection and divergence by depth in a caribbean candelabrum coral,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 110, no. 10, pp. 3961–3966, 2013.
- Lorena Ruiz-Montoya, and Juan Nunez-Farfan, “Testing Local Host Adaptation and Phenotypic Plasticity in a Herbivore When Alternative Related Host Plants Occur Sympatrically,” Plos One, vol. 8, no. 11, 2013.
- Scott P. Egan, Glen R. Hood, Gabriel DeVela, and James R. Ott, “Parallel Patterns of Morphological and Behavioral Variation among Host-Associated Populations of Two Gall Wasp Species,” Plos One, vol. 8, no. 1, 2013.
- Robyn S Hetem, Andrea Fuller, Shane K Maloney, and Duncan Mitchell, “Responses of long-lived mammals to climate change,” Temperature, vol. 1, no. 2, 2014.
- F Aubret, “Island colonisation and the evolutionary rates of body size in insular neonate snakes,” Heredity, 2014.
- Etsuko Nonaka, Åke Brännström, and Richard Svanbäck, “Assortative mating can limit the evolution of phenotypic plasticity,” Evolutionary Ecology, 2014.
- Matthew R. J. Morris, Romain Richard, Erica H. Leder, Rowan D. H. Barrett, Nadia Aubin-Horth, and Sean M. Rogers, “Gene expression plasticity evolves in response to colonization of freshwater lakes in threespine stickleback,” Molecular Ecology, 2014.
- Biljana Stojkovic, Uros Savkovic, Mirko Dordevic, and Nikola Tucic, “Host-shift effects on mating behavior and incipient pre-mating isolation in seed beetle,” Behavioral Ecology, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 553–564, 2014.
- Carl D. Schlichting, and Matthew A. Wund, “Phenotypic Plasticity And Epigenetic Marking: An Assessment Of Evidence For Genetic Accommodation,” Evolution, vol. 68, no. 3, pp. 656–672, 2014.
- Lizelle J. Odendaal, David S. Jacobs, and Jacqueline M. Bishop, “Sensory trait variation in an echolocating bat suggests roles for both selection and plasticity,” Bmc Evolutionary Biology, vol. 14, 2014.
- Patricia M. Schulte, “What is environmental stress? Insights from fish living in a variable environment,” Journal of Experimental Biology, vol. 217, no. 1, pp. 23–34, 2014.
- Thomas C. Scott-Phillips, Kevin N. Laland, David M. Shuker, Thomas E. Dickins, and Stuart A. West, “The Niche Construction Perspective: A Critical Appraisal,” Evolution, 2014.