- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Ecology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 280169, 20 pages
The Role of Parasitism in Adaptive Radiations—When Might Parasites Promote and When Might They Constrain Ecological Speciation?
1Department of Biological and Environmental Science, Centre of Excellence in Evolutionary Research, University of Jyväskylä, P.O. Box 35, 40014, Finland
2Department of Fish Ecology and Evolution, Eawag: Centre of Ecology, Evolution and Biogeochemistry, Seestrasse 79, 6047 Kastanienbaum, Switzerland
3Division of Aquatic Ecology & Macroevolution, Institute of Ecology and Evolution, University of Bern, Baltzerstrasse 6, 3012 Bern, Switzerland
Received 16 August 2011; Revised 28 November 2011; Accepted 2 January 2012
Academic Editor: Andrew Hendry
Copyright © 2012 Anssi Karvonen and Ole Seehausen. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [20 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Pascal I. Hablützel, Filip A. M. Volckaert, Bart Hellemans, and Joost A. M. Raeymaekers, “Differential modes of MHC class IIB gene evolution in cichlid fishes,” Immunogenetics, 2013.
- Jing-Yu Fang, Jeng-Der Chung, Yu-Chung Chiang, Chung-Te Chang, Chia-Ying Chen, and Shih-Ying Hwang, “Divergent Selection and Local Adaptation in Disjunct Populations of an Endangered Conifer, Keteleeria davidiana var. formosana (Pinaceae),” PLoS ONE, vol. 8, no. 7, 2013.
- Juan Antonio Balbuena, Raul Miguez-Lozano, and Isabel Blasco-Costa, “PACo: A Novel Procrustes Application to Cophylogenetic Analysis,” Plos One, vol. 8, no. 4, 2013.
- Anssi Karvonen, Bjarni K. Kristjánsson, Skúli Skúlason, Maiju Lanki, Christian Rellstab, and Jukka Jokela, “ Water temperature, not fish morph, determines parasite infections of sympatric Icelandic threespine sticklebacks ( Gasterosteus aculeatus ) ,” Ecology and Evolution, 2013.
- Joost A. M. Raeymaekers, Pascal I. Hablutzel, Arnout F. Gregoir, Jolien Bamps, Anna K. Roose, Maarten P. M. Vanhove, Maarten Van Steenberge, Antoine Pariselle, Tine Huyse, Jos Snoeks, and Filip A. M. Volckaert, “Contrasting parasite communities among allopatric colour morphs of the Lake Tanganyika cichlid Tropheus,” Bmc Evolutionary Biology, vol. 13, 2013.
- Rebecca J. Safran, Elizabeth S.C. Scordato, Laurel B. Symes, Rafael L. Rodríguez, and Tamra C. Mendelson, “Contributions of natural and sexual selection to the evolution of premating reproductive isolation: a research agenda,” Trends in Ecology & Evolution, vol. 28, no. 11, pp. 643–650, 2013.
- Anssi Karvonen, Baenz Lundsgaard-Hansen, Jukka Jokela, and Ole Seehausen, “Differentiation in parasitism among ecotypes of whitefish segregating along depth gradients,” Oikos, vol. 122, no. 1, pp. 122–128, 2013.
- M. Tobler, M. Plath, R. Riesch, I. Schlupp, A. Grasse, G. K. Munimanda, C. Setzer, D. J. Penn, and Y. Moodley, “Selection from parasites favours immunogenetic diversity but not divergence among locally adapted host populations,” Journal of Evolutionary Biology, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 960–974, 2014.
- Jody A. O'Connor, Rachael Y. Dudaniec, Steven A. Myers, Jeremy Robertson, and Frank J. Sulloway, “Species Collapse via Hybridization in Darwin's Tree Finches,” American Naturalist, vol. 183, no. 3, pp. 325–341, 2014.
- Arnout F. Grégoir, Pascal I. Hablützel, Maarten P. M. Vanhove, Antoine Pariselle, Jolien Bamps, Filip A. M. Volckaert, and Joost A. M. Raeymaekers, “A link between host dispersal and parasite diversity in two sympatric cichlids of Lake Tanganyika,” Freshwater Biology, 2014.
- Amanda K. Hund, Jessica T. Blair, and Frederick W. Hund, “A review of available methods and description of a new method for eliminating ectoparasites from bird nests,” Journal of Field Ornithology, vol. 86, no. 3, pp. 191–204, 2015.
- S. Van den Wyngaert, M. Möst, R. Freimann, B. W. Ibelings, and P. Spaak, “ Hidden diversity in the freshwater planktonic diatom Asterionella formosa ,” Molecular Ecology, 2015.
- Paul R. Berg, Sissel Jentoft, Bastiaan Star, Kristoffer H. Ring, Halvor Knutsen, Sigbjorn Lien, Kjetill S. Jakobsen, and Carl Andre, “Adaptation to Low Salinity Promotes Genomic Divergence in Atlantic Cod (Gadus morhua L.),” Genome Biology And Evolution, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 1644–1663, 2015.
- Vicki L. Friesen, “Speciation in seabirds: why are there so many species…and why aren’t there more?,” Journal of Ornithology, 2015.
- Chérif Chetouhi, Johan Panek, Ludovic Bonhomme, Hicham ElAlaoui, Catherine Texier, Thierry Langin, Charissa de Bekker, Serge Urbach, Edith Demettre, Dorothée Misse, Philippe Holzmuller, David P. Hughes, Andreas Zanzoni, Christine Brun, and David G. Biron, “Cross-talk in host–parasite associations: What do past and recent proteomics approaches tell us?,” Infection, Genetics and Evolution, 2015.
- Ryosuke Iritani, “How parasite-mediated costs drive the evolution of disease state-dependent dispersal,” Ecological Complexity, vol. 21, pp. 1–13, 2015.
- Shan Huang, John M. Drake, John L. Gittleman, and Sonia Altizer, “Parasite diversity declines with host evolutionary distinctiveness: A global analysis of carnivores,” Evolution, 2015.
- Mária Seifertová, Jiří Jarkovský, and Andrea Šimková, “Does the parasite-mediated selection drive the MHC class IIB diversity in wild populations of European chub (Squalius cephalus)?,” Parasitology Research, 2015.
- Donald G. Miller, Sarah P. Lawson, David C. Rinker, Heather Estby, and Patrick Abbot, “ The origin and genetic differentiation of the socially parasitic aphid Tamalia inquilinus ,” Molecular Ecology, vol. 24, no. 22, pp. 5751–5766, 2015.
- Serge Morand, “(macro-) Evolutionary ecology of parasite diversity: From determinants of parasite species richness to host diversification,” International Journal for Parasitology: Parasites and Wildlife, 2015.