- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Ecology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 324295, 9 pages
Does Botanical Diversity in Sewage Treatment Reed-Bed Sites Enhance Invertebrate Biodiversity?
1Water and Environmental Management Research Centre, University of Bristol, 83 Woodland Road, Bristol BS8 1TR, UK
2Research and Development Division, Ecosulis Ltd., The Rickyard, Newton St. Loe, Bath BA2 9BT, UK
3Severn Trent Water, Endeavour House, Raynesway, Derby DE21 7JA, UK
Received 16 March 2011; Accepted 1 June 2011
Academic Editor: Madhur Anand
Copyright © 2012 Alan Feest et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. Bibby, S. Housden, R. Porter, and G. Thomas, A Conservation Strategy for Birds, RSPB, Bedfordshire, UK, 1989.
- English Nature, Action for Reedbed Birds in England, EN Action Plan, Peterborough, UK, 1994.
- M. Painter, The UK Reed-Bed Inventory Report, RSPB, Bedfordshire, UK, 1994.
- J. Andrews and D. Ward, “The management and creation of reed-beds, especially for rare birds,” British Wildlife, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 81–91, 1991.
- G. Tyler, “Requirements of birds in reed-beds,” in Reed-Beds for Wildlife, D. Ward, Ed., p. 100, RSPB/University of Bristol, Bristol, UK, 1992.
- P. F. Cooper and M. B. Green, “Reed-bed treatment systems for sewage treatment in the United Kingdom—the first 10 years experience,” Water Science and Technology, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 317–327, 1995.
- B. D. Wheeler, “Integrating wildlife with commercial uses,” in Reed-Beds for Wildlife, D. Ward, Ed., pp. 79–89, RSPB/University of Bristol, Bristol,UK, 1992.
- C. J. Hawke and P. V. Jose, Reed-Bed Management for Commercial and Wildlife Interests, RSPB, Bedfordshire, UK, 1996.
- Joint Nature Conservation Committee, Biodiversity: The UK Action Plan, JNCC, Peterborough, UK, 1994.
- Severn Trent Water, Biodiversity Action Plan, Severn Trent Water, Birmingham, UK, 1999.
- A. Warren, Streamline: Wildlife Watch October, Severn Trent Water Plc, Birmingham, UK, 2005.
- P. M. Nuttall, A. G. Boon, and M. R. Rowell, “Review of the design and management of constructed wetlands,” CIRIA Report 180, Construction Industry Research and Information Association, London, UK, 1997.
- R. L. Knight, “Wildlife habitat and public use benefits of treatment wetlands,” Water Science and Technology, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 35–43, 1997.
- P. Worrall, K. J. Peberdy, and M. C. Millett, “Constructed wetlands and nature conservation,” Water Science and Technology, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 205–213, 1997.
- C. K. Balcombe, J. T. Anderson, R. H. Fortney, and W. S. Kordek, “Aquatic macroinvertebrate assemblages in mitigated and natural wetlands,” Hydrobiologia, vol. 541, no. 1, pp. 175–188, 2005.
- C. K. Balcombe, J. T. Anderson, R. H. Fortney, and W. S. Kordek, “Wildlife use of mitigation and reference wetlands in West Virginia,” Ecological Engineering, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 85–99, 2005.
- C. K. Balcombe, J. T. Anderson, R. H. Fortney, J. S. Rentch, W. N. Grafton, and W. S. Kordek, “A comparison of plant communities in mitigation and reference wetlands in the mid-appalachians,” Wetlands, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 130–142, 2005.
- T. K. Manios, Z. Kypriotakis, V. Manios, and G. Dialyna, “Plant species in a two-year-old free water surface constructed wetland treating domestic wastewater in the island of Crete,” Journal of Environmental Science and Health, vol. 37, no. 7, part A37, pp. 1327–1335, 2002.
- D. Ward, “Management of reedbeds for wildlife,” in Reed-Beds for Wildlife, D. Ward, Ed., pp. 65–78, RSPB/University of Bristol, Bristol, UK, 1992.
- W. Fojt and A. Foster, “Reed-beds, their wildlife and requirements A. Botanical and invertebrate aspects of reed-beds, their ecological requirements and conservation significance,” in Reed-Beds for Wildlife, D. Ward, Ed., pp. 49–56, RSPB/University of Bristol, Bristol, UK, 1992.
- P. Kirby, Habitat Management for Invertebrates: A Practical Handbook, RSPB, Bedfordshire, UK, 1992.
- B. A. Woodcock, S. G. Potts, D. B. Westbury et al., “The importance of sward architectural complexity in structuring predatory and phytophagous invertebrate assemblages,” Ecological Entomology, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 302–311, 2007.
- M. K. M. Ditlhogo, R. James, B. R. Laurence, and W. J. Sutherland, “The effects of conservation management of reed beds. I. The invertebrates,” Journal of Applied Ecology, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 265–276, 1992.
- J. H. Mook, “Influence of environment on some insects attacking common reed (phragmites communis trin.),” Hydrobiologia, vol. 12, pp. 305–312, 1971.
- V. Skuhravy, “Invertebrates: destroyers of common reed,” in Pond Littoral Ecosystems—Structure and Functioning, D. Dykjova and J. Kvet, Eds., vol. 28 of Ecological Studies, pp. 376–378, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 1978.
- A. P. Bedford and I. Powell, “Long-term changes in the invertebrates associated with the litter of Phragmites australis in a managed reedbed,” Hydrobiologia, vol. 549, no. 1, pp. 267–285, 2005.
- H. A. Neckles, H. R. Murkin, and J. A. Cooper, “Influences of seasonal flooding on macroinvertebrate abundance in wetland habitats,” Freshwater Biology, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 311–322, 1990.
- S. A. Wissinger, “Ecology of wetland invertebrates, synthesis and applications for conservation management,” in Invertebrates in Freshwater Wetlands of North America: Ecology and Management, D. P. Batzer, R. B. Rader, and S. A. Wissenger, Eds., pp. 1043–1086, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1999.
- P. Fermor and S. Ireland, Biodiversity Enhancement of Severn Trent Water Reedbed Treatment Systems. Shipston Fell Mill Invertebrate Survey, Middlemarch Environmental, Warwickshire, UK, 2001.
- A. Feest, “Establishing baseline indices for the quality of the biodiversity of restored habitats using a standardized sampling process,” Restoration Ecology, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 112–122, 2006.
- A. Feest, T. D. Aldred, and K. Jedamzik, “Biodiversity quality: a paradigm for biodiversity,” Ecological Indicators, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 1077–1082, 2010.
- C. P. Wheater and P. A. Cook, Studying Invertebrates, vol. 28 of Naturalists’ Handbooks, Richmond Publishing, Slough, UK, 2003.
- R. R. Boar, Factors Which Affect the Growth of Phragmites Australis, University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK, 1991.
- N. R. Cowie, W. J. Sutherland, M. K. M. Ditlhogo, and R. James, “The effects of conservation management of reed beds. II. The flora and litter disappearance,” Journal of Applied Ecology, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 277–284, 1992.
- M. O. Hill, “Diversity and evenness: a unifying notation and its consequences,” Ecology, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 427–432, 1973.
- W. J. Sutherland, Ecological Census Techniques: A Handbook, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2nd edition, 2006.
- P. A. Henderson and R. M. H. Seaby, A Practical Handbook for Multivariate Methods, Pisces Conservation, Lymington. UK, 2008.
- C. J. Brady and R. A. Noske, “Generalised regressions provide good estimates of insect and spider biomass in the monsoonal tropics of Australia,” Australian Journal of Entomology, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 187–191, 2006.
- B. E. Sample, R. J. Cooper, R. D. Greer, and R. C. Whitmore, “Estimation of insect biomass by length and width,” American Midland Naturalist, vol. 129, no. 2, pp. 234–240, 1993.
- StatistiXL, 2007, http://www.statistixl.com/.
- M. Saint-Germain, C. M. Buddle, M. Larrivée et al., “Should biomass be considered more frequently as a currency in terrestrial arthropod community analyses?” Journal of Applied Ecology, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 330–339, 2007.
- A. Spalding and H. C. Haes, “Contaminated land—a resource for wild life: a review and survey of insects on metalliferous sites in Cornwall,” Land Contamination and Reclamation, vol. 3, pp. 25–29, 1995.
- C. A. Harvey, A. Medina, D. M. Sánchez et al., “Patterns of animal diversity in different forms of tree cover in agricultural landscapes,” Ecological Applications, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 1986–1999, 2006.
- J. Babin-Fenske and M. Anand, “Terrestrial insect communities and the restoration of an industrially perturbed landscape: assessing success and surrogacy,” Restoration Ecology, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 73–84, 2010.
- B. Lübben, “Influence of sewage sludge and heavy metals on the abundance of Collembola on two agricultural soils,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Seminar on Apterygota, R. Dallai, Ed., pp. 419–428, University of Siena, Siena, Italy, 1989.
- D. Pimental and A. Warneke, “Ecological effects of manure, sewage sludge and other organic wastes on arthropod populations,” Agricultural Zoology Reviews, vol. 3, pp. 1–30, 1989.
- C. Pernin, J.-P. Ambrosi, J. Cortet et al., “Effects of sewage sludge and copper enrichment on both soil mesofauna community and decomposition of oak leaves (Quercus suber) in a mesocosm,” Biology and Fertility of Soils, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 39–50, 2006.
- J. M. C. K. Jayawardana, M. Westbrooke, M. Wilson, and C. Hurst, “Macroinvertebrate communities in willow (Salix spp.) and reed beds (Phragmites australis) in central victorian streams in Australia,” Marine and Freshwater Research, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 429–439, 2006.
- J. M. C. K. Jayawardana, M. Westbrooke, M. Wilson, and C. Hurst, “Macroinvertebrate communities in Phragmites australis (Cav.) trin. ex steud. reed beds and open bank habitats in central victorian streams in Australia,” Hydrobiologia, vol. 568, no. 1, pp. 169–185, 2006.
- J. Sychra, Z. Adámek, and K. Petřivalská, “Distribution and diversity of littoral macroinvertebrates within extensive reed beds of a lowland pond,” International Journal of Limnology, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 281–289, 2010.
- I. Varga, “Macroinvertebrates in reed litter,” International Review of Hydrobiology, vol. 86, no. 4-5, pp. 573–583, 2001.
- B. C. Bates, Z. W. Kundewicz, S. Wu, and J. P. Palutikof, “Climate change and water,” Tech. Rep., The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, IPCC Secretariat, Geneva, Switzerland, 2008, http://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/technical-papers/climate-change-water-en.pdf.
- European Community, “Directive 2000/60/EC establishing a framework for Community action in the field of water policy,” Official Journal of the European Communities, vol. 22, no. 12, p. 2000, 2000.