- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Ecology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 478728, 10 pages
The Weighted Gini-Simpson Index: Revitalizing an Old Index of Biodiversity
1Environmental and Health Studies Program, Department of Multidisciplinary Studies, Glendon College, York University, 2275 Bayview Avenue, Toronto, ON, Canada M4N 3M6
2Department of Mathematics and Statistics, York University, 4700 Keele Street, Toronto, ON, Canada M3J 1P3
Received 19 September 2011; Revised 22 November 2011; Accepted 6 December 2011
Academic Editor: Jean-Guy Godin
Copyright © 2012 Radu Cornel Guiasu and Silviu Guiasu. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. Gini, “Variabilità e mutabilità,” in Memorie di Metodologica Statistica, E. Pizetti and T. Salvemini, Eds., Liberia Eredi Virgilio Veschi, Roma, Italy, 1912.
- E. H. Simpson, “Measurement of diversity,” Nature, vol. 163, p. 688, 1949.
- C. E. Shannon, “A mathematical theory of communication,” Bell System Technical Journal, vol. 27, p. 379–423; 623–656, 1948.
- L. Boltzmann, Vorlesungen über Gastheorie, J. A. Barth Akademische Druck-u, Leipzig, Germany, 1896.
- R. H. MacArthur, “Patterns of species diversity,” Biological Review, vol. 40, pp. 510–533, 1965.
- E. C. Pielou, “Shannon’s formula as a measure of specific diversity: its use and misuse,” American Naturalist, vol. 100, pp. 463–465, 1966.
- R. H. MacArthur and E. O. Wilson, The Theory of Island Biogeography, Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, USA, 1967.
- R. H. Whittaker, “Evolution and measurement of species diversity,” Taxon, vol. 21, pp. 213–251, 1972.
- A. Rényi, “On measures of entropy and information,” in Proceedings of the 4th Berkeley Symposium on Mathematical Statistics and Probability, J. Neyman, Ed., pp. 547–561, University of California, Berkeley, Calif, USA, 1961.
- M. Hill, “Diversity and evenness. A unifying notation and its consequences,” Ecology, vol. 45, pp. 427–432, 1973.
- L. Jost, “Entropy and diversity,” Oikos, vol. 113, no. 2, pp. 363–375, 2006.
- L. Jost, “Partitioning diversity into independent alpha and beta components,” Ecology, vol. 88, no. 10, pp. 2427–2439, 2007.
- L. Jost, “Mismeasuring biological diversity: response to Hoffmann and Hoffmann (2008),” Ecological Economics, vol. 68, pp. 925–928, 2009.
- C. R. Rao, “Diversity and dissimilarity coefficients: a unified approach,” Theoretical Population Biology, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 24–43, 1982.
- C. Ricotta, “Through the jungle of biological diversity,” Acta Biotheoretica, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 29–38, 2005.
- S. Hoffmann and A. Hoffmann, “Is there a “true” diversity?” Ecological Economics, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 213–215, 2008.
- R. Lande, “Statistics and partitioning of species diversity, and similarity among multiple communities,” Oikos, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. 5–13, 1996.
- J. A. Veech, K. S. Summerville, T. O. Crist, and J. C. Gering, “The additive partitioning of species diversity: recent revival of an old idea,” Oikos, vol. 99, no. 1, pp. 3–9, 2002.
- L. Jost, P. Devries, T. Walla, H. Greeney, A. Chao, and C. Ricotta, “Partitioning diversity for conservation analyses,” Diversity and Distributions, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 65–76, 2010.
- R. C. Guiasu and S. Guiasu, “New measures for comparing the species diversity found in two or more habitats,” International Journal of Uncertainty, Fuzziness and Knowlege-Based Systems, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 691–720, 2010.
- R. C. Guiasu and S. Guiasu, “The weighted quadratic index of biodiversity for pairs of species: a generalization of Rao’s index,” Natural Science, vol. 3, pp. 795–801, 2011.
- R. C. Guiasu and S. Guiasu, “The Rich-Gini-Simpson quadratic index of biodiversity,” Natural Science, vol. 2, pp. 1130–1137, 2010.
- R. C. Guiasu and S. Guiasu, “Diversity measures and coarse-graining in data analysis with an application involving plant species on the Galápagos Islands,” Journal of Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 54–64, 2010.
- C. Ricotta and L. Szeidl, “Diversity partitioning of Rao's quadratic entropy,” Theoretical Population Biology, vol. 76, no. 4, pp. 299–302, 2009.
- A. Chao, C. H. Chiu, and L. Jost, “Phylogenetic diversity measures based on Hill numbers,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B, vol. 365, no. 1558, pp. 3599–3609, 2010.
- M. Belis and S. Guiasu, “A quantitative-qualitative measure of information in cybernetic systems,” IEEE Transactions of Information Theory, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 593–594, 1968.