- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Ecology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 861635, 11 pages
A Review of Bioeconomic Modelling of Habitat-Fisheries Interactions
1Norwegian College of Fishery Science, University of Tromsø, 9037 Tromsø, Norway
2Department of Economics, University of Otago, Dunedin 9016, New Zealand
3Northern Research Institute, NORUT, Tromsø, 9294 Tromsø, Norway
Received 15 August 2011; Revised 14 October 2011; Accepted 15 October 2011
Academic Editor: Panos V. Petrakis
Copyright © 2012 Naomi S. Foley et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. W. Botsford, J. C. Castilla, and C. H. Peterson, “The management of fisheries and marine ecosystems,” Science, vol. 277, no. 5325, pp. 509–515, 1997.
- J. B. Lindholm, P. J. Auster, M. Ruth, and L. Kaufman, “Modeling the effects of fishing and implications for the design of marine protected areas: juvenile fish responses to variations in seafloor habitat,” Conservation Biology, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 424–437, 2001.
- L. Watling and E. A. Norse, “Disturbance of the seabed by mobile fishing gear: a comparison to forest clearcutting,” Conservation Biology, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 1180–1197, 1998.
- E. B. Barbier, E. W. Koch, B. R. Silliman et al., “Coastal ecosystem-based management with nonlinear ecological functions and values,” Science, vol. 319, no. 5861, pp. 321–323, 2008.
- C. W. Armstrong and J. Falk-Petersen, “Habitat-fisheries interactions: a missing link?” ICES Journal of Marine Science, vol. 65, no. 6, pp. 817–821, 2008.
- S. Shephard, D. Brophy, and D. G. Reid, “Can bottom trawling indirectly diminish carrying capacity in a marine ecosystem?” Marine Biology, vol. 157, no. 11, pp. 2375–2381, 2010.
- J. G. Hiddink, A. D. Rijnsdorp, and G. Piet, “Can bottom trawling disturbance increase food production for a commercial fish species?” Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, vol. 65, no. 7, pp. 1393–1401, 2008.
- D. Knowler, “A review of selected bioeconomic models with environmental influences in fisheries,” Journal of Bioeconomics, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 163–181, 2002.
- E. B. Barbier, “Valuing the environment as input: review of applications to mangrove-fishery linkages,” Ecological Economics, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 47–61, 2000.
- C. W. Armstrong and S. van den Hove, “The formation of policy for protection of cold-water coral off the coast of Norway,” Marine Policy, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 66–73, 2008.
- M. J. Costello, M. McCrea, A. Freiwald, et al., “Role of cold-water Lophelia pertusa coral reefs as fish habitat in the NE Atlantic,” in Cold-Water Corals and Ecosystems, A. Freiwald and J. M. Roberts, Eds., pp. 771–805, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2005.
- K. A. Puglise, R. J. Brock, and J. J. McDonough, “Identifying critical information needs and developing institutional partnerships to further the understanding of Atlantic deep-sea coral ecosystems,” in Cold-Water Corals and Ecosystems, A. Freiwald and J. M. Roberts, Eds., pp. 1129–1140, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2005.
- H. F. Upton and J. G. Sutinen, When Do Marine Protected Areas Pay? An Analysis of Stylized Fisheries, University of Rhode Island, 2003.
- P. J. Auster, “A conceptual model of the impacts of fishing gear on the integrity of fish habitats,” Conservation Biology, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 1198–1203, 1998.
- P. J. Auster and R. W. Langton, “The effects of fishing on fish habitat,” American Fisheries Society Symposium, vol. 22, pp. 150–187, 1999.
- E. B. Barbier and I. Strand, “Valuing mangrove-fishery linkages. A case study of Campeche, Mexico,” Environmental and Resource Economics, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 151–166, 1998.
- J. R. Kahn, “Measuring the economic damages associated with environmental influences in fisheries,” Marine Resource Economics, vol. 4, p. 1933, 1987.
- E. B. Barbier, I. Strand, and S. Sathirathai, “Do open access conditions affect the valuation of an externality? Estimating the welfare effects of mangrove-fishery linkages in Thailand,” Environmental and Resource Economics, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 343–367, 2002.
- E. E. Anderson, “Economic benefits of habitat restoration: seagrass and the Virginia hard-shell blue crab fishery,” North American Journal of Fisheries Management, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 140–149, 1989.
- N. S. Foley, V. Kahui, C. W. Armstrong, and T. M. van Rensburg, “Estimating linkages between redfish and cold water coral on the Norwegian Coast,” Marine Resource Economics, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 105–120, 2010.
- G. D. Lynne, P. Conroy, and F. J. Prochaska, “Economic valuation of marsh areas for marine production processes,” Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 175–186, 1981.
- J. R. Kahn and W. M. Kemp, “Economic losses associated with the degradation of an ecosystem: the case of submerged aquatic vegetation in Chesapeake Bay,” Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 246–263, 1985.
- G. M. Ellis and A. C. Fisher, “Valuing the environment as input,” Journal of Environmental Management, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 149–156, 1987.
- S. K. Swallow, “Depletion of the environmental basis for renewable resources: the economics of interdependent renewable and nonrenewable resources,” Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 281–296, 1990.
- A. M. Freeman, “Valuing environmental resources under alternative management regimes,” Ecological Economics, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 247–256, 1991.
- S. K. Swallow, “Renewable and nonrenewable resource theory applied to coatal agriculture, forest, wetland, and fishery linkages,” Marine Resource Economics, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 291–310, 1994.
- S. Sathirathai and E. B. Barbier, “Valuing mangrove conservation in Southern Thailand,” Contemporary Economic Policy, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 109–122, 2001.
- D. J. Knowler, B. W. MacGregor, M. J. Bradford, and R. M. Peterman, “Valuing freshwater salmon habitat on the west coast of Canada,” Journal of Environmental Management, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 261–273, 2003.
- V. Kahui and C. Armstrong, Fishing on Cold Water Coral Reefs: A Bioeconomic Model of Habitat-Fishery Connections, University of Tromso, 2010.
- E. Gudmundsson and C. R. Wessells, “Ecolabeling seafood for sustainable production: implications for fisheries management,” Marine Resource Economics, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 97–113, 2000.
- K. E. McConnell and I. E. Strand, “Benefits from commercial fisheries when demand and supply depend on water quality,” Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 284–292, 1989.
- C. W. Clark, Mathematical Bioeconomics. The Optimal Management of Renewable Resources, John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2nd edition, 1990.
- E. Mikkelsen, “Aquaculture-fisheries interactions,” Marine Resource Economics, vol. 22, pp. 287–303, 2007.