- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Ecology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 101682, 12 pages
Plankton Resting Stages in the Marine Sediments of the Bay of Vlorë (Albania)
1Laboratory of Plankton Ecology, IAMC CNR, UOS Talassografico “A. Cerruti,” 74123 Taranto, Italy
2Laboratory of Zoogeography and Fauna, CoNISMa U.O. Lecce, DiSTeBA University of the Salento, 73100 Lecce, Italy
Received 13 December 2012; Accepted 1 April 2013
Academic Editor: Sami Souissi
Copyright © 2013 Fernando Rubino et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. Belmonte, P. Castello, M. R. Piccinni et al., “Resting stages in marine sediments off the Italian coast,” in Biology and Ecology of Shallow Coastal Waters, A. Elefteriou, C. J. Smith, and A. D. Ansell, Eds., pp. 53–58, Olsen & Olsen, Fredensborg, Denmark, 1995.
- N. H. Marcus and F. Boero, “Minireview: the importance of benthic-pelagic coupling and the forgotten role of life cycles in coastal aquatic systems,” Limnology and Oceanography, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 763–768, 1998.
- A. Giangrande, S. Geraci, and G. Belmonte, “Life-cycle and life-history diversity in marine invertebrates and the implications in community dynamics,” Oceanography and Marine Biology, vol. 32, pp. 305–333, 1994.
- F. Boero, G. Belmonte, G. Fanelli, S. Piraino, and F. Rubino, “The continuity of living matter and the discontinuities of its constituents: do plankton and benthos really exist?” Trends in Ecology and Evolution, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 177–180, 1996.
- S. Moscatello, F. Rubino, O. D. Saracino, G. Fanelli, G. Belmonte, and F. Boero, “Plankton biodiversity around the Salento Peninsula (South East Italy): an integrated water/sediment approach,” Scientia Marina, vol. 68, no. 1, pp. 85–102, 2004.
- F. Rubino, O. D. Saracino, S. Moscatello, and G. Belmonte, “An integrated water/sediment approach to study plankton (a case study in the southern Adriatic Sea),” Journal of Marine Systems, vol. 78, no. 4, pp. 536–546, 2009.
- F. Rubino, O. D. Saracino, G. Fanelli, G. Belmonte, A. Miglietta, and F. Boero, “Life cycles and pelago-benthos interactions,” Biologia Marina Mediterranea, vol. 5, pp. 253–259, 1998.
- G. Belmonte, A. Miglietta, F. Rubino, and F. Boero, “Morphological convergence of resting stages of planktonic organisms: a review,” Hydrobiologia, vol. 355, no. 1–3, pp. 159–165, 1997.
- N. H. Marcus, R. Lutz, W. Burnett, and P. Cable, “Age, viability, and vertical distribution of zooplankton resting eggs from an anoxic basin: evidence of an egg bank,” Limnology and Oceanography, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 154–158, 1994.
- X. Jiang, G. Wang, and S. Li, “Age, distribution and abundance of viable resting eggs of Acartia pacifica (Copepoda: Calanoida) in Xiamen Bay, China,” Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology, vol. 312, no. 1, pp. 89–100, 2004.
- H. U. Dahms, X. Li, G. Zhang, and P. Y. Qian, “Resting stages of Tortanus forcipatus (Crustacea, Calanoida) in sediments of Victoria Harbor, Hong Kong,” Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, vol. 67, no. 4, pp. 562–568, 2006.
- G. Belmonte, P. Pirandola, S. Degetto, and F. Boero, “Abbondanza, vitalità e distribuzione verticale di forme di resistenza nei sedimenti del Nord Adriatico,” Biologia Marina Mediterranea, vol. 6, pp. 172–178, 1999.
- S. Ribeiro, T. Berge, N. Lundholm, T. J. Andersen, F. Abrantes, and M. Ellegaard, “Phytoplankton growth after a century of dormancy illuminates past resilience to catastrophic darkness,” Nature Communications, vol. 2, no. 1, article 311, 2011.
- N. G. Hairston Jr., R. A. Van Brunt, C. M. Kearns, and D. R. Engstrom, “Age and survivorship of diapausing eggs in a sediment egg bank,” Ecology, vol. 76, no. 6, pp. 1706–1711, 1995.
- S. Moscatello, C. Caroppo, E. Hajdëri, and G. Belmonte, “Space distribution of phyto- and microzooplankton in the Vlora Bay (Southern Albania, Mediterranean Sea),” Journal of Coastal Research, no. 58, pp. 80–94, 2011.
- P. Maiorano, F. Mastrototaro, S. Beqiraj et al., “Bioecological study of the benthic communities on the soft bottom of the Vlora Gulf (Albania),” Journal of Coastal Research, no. 58, pp. 95–105, 2011.
- C. J. Bolch and G. M. Hallegraeff, “Dinoflagellate cysts in recent marine sediments from Tasmania, Australia,” Botanica Marina, vol. 33, pp. 173–192, 1990.
- J. A. Sonneman and D. R. A. Hill, “A taxonomic survey of cyst-producing dinoflagellates from recent sediments of Victorian coastal waters, Australia,” Botanica Marina, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 149–177, 1997.
- A. Rochon, A. De Vernal, J. L. Turon, J. Matthiessen, and M. J. Head, “Distribution of recent dinoflagellate cysts in surface sediments from the North Atlantic Ocean and adjacent seas in relation to sea-surface parameters,” AASP Contribution Series, vol. 35, pp. 1–152, 1999.
- P. C. Reid and A. W. G. John, “Tintinnid cysts,” Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom, vol. 58, pp. 551–557, 1978.
- P. C. Reid and A. W. G. John, “Resting cysts in the ciliate class Polymenophorea: phylogenetic implications,” Journal of Protozoology, vol. 30, pp. 710–712, 1978.
- T. Onbè, “Sugar flotation method for sorting the resting eggs of marine cladocerans and copepods fron sea bottom sediments,” Bulletin of the Japanese Society for the Science of Fish, vol. 44, p. 1411, 1978.
- F. Rubino, M. Belmonte, C. Caroppo, and M. Giacobbe, “Dinoflagellate cysts from surface sediments of Syracuse Bay (Western Ionian Sea, Mediterranean),” Deep-Sea Research Part II, vol. 57, no. 3-4, pp. 243–247, 2010.
- F. Rubino, G. Belmonte, A. M. Miglietta, S. Geraci, and F. Boero, “Resting stages of plankton in recent North Adriatic sediments,” Marine Ecology, vol. 21, no. 3-4, pp. 263–284, 2000.
- M. Montresor, S. Sgrosso, G. Procaccini, and W. H. C. F. Kooistra, “Intraspecific diversity in Scrippsiella trochoidea (Dinophyceae): evidence for cryptic species,” Phycologia, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 56–70, 2003.
- A. Rochon, J. Lewis, M. Ellegaard, and I. C. Harding, “The Gonyaulax spinifera (Dinophyceae) “complex”: perpetuating the paradox?” Review of Palaeobotany and Palynology, vol. 155, no. 1-2, pp. 52–60, 2009.
- G. Belmonte, “Diapause egg production in Acartia (Paracartia) latisetosa (Crustacea, Copepoda, Calanoida),” Bolletino di Zoologia, vol. 59, pp. 363–366, 1992.
- Z. Wang, K. Matsuoka, Y. Qi, J. Chen, and S. Lu, “Dinoflagellate cyst records in recent sediments from Daya Bay, South China Sea,” Phycological Research, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 396–407, 2004.
- R. Harland, “A review of recent and quaternary organic-walled dinoflagellate cysts of the genus Protoperidinium,” Paleontology, vol. 25, pp. 369–397, 1982.
- J. Lewis, J. D. Dodge, and P. Tett, “Cyst-theca relationship in some Protoperidinium species (Peridiniales) from Scottish sea lochs,” Journal of Micropalaeontology, vol. 3, pp. 25–34, 1984.
- M. Gottschling, R. Knop, J. Plötner, M. Kirsch, H. Willems, and H. Keupp, “A molecular phylogeny of Scrippsiella sensu lato (Calciodinellaceae, Dinophyta) with interpretations on morphology and distribution,” European Journal of Phycology, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 207–220, 2005.
- H. Gu, J. Sun, W. H. C. F. Kooistra, and R. Zeng, “Phylogenetic position and morphology of thecae and cysts of Scrippsiella (Dinophyceae) species in the East China Sea,” Journal of Phycology, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 478–494, 2008.
- G. J. M. Versteegh, “New Pliocene and Pleistocene calcareous dinoflagellate cysts from southern Italy and Crete,” Review of Palaeobotany and Palynology, vol. 78, no. 3-4, pp. 353–380, 1993.
- K. J. S. Meier and H. Willems, “Calcareous dinoflagellate cysts in surface sediments from the Mediterranean Sea: distribution patterns and influence of main environmental gradients,” Marine Micropaleontology, vol. 48, no. 3-4, pp. 321–354, 2003.
- F. Rubino, S. Moncheva, M. Belmonte, N. Slabakova, and L. Kamburska, “Resting stages produced by plankton in the Black Sea—biodiversity and ecological perspective,” Rapport Commission International pour l'Exploration Scientifique de la Mer Mediterranee, vol. 39, p. 399, 2010.