- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Ecology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 234372, 4 pages
Induced Bacteriovory in a Declining Culture of the Mixotrophic Dinoflagellate Prorocentrum minimum (Pavillard) Schiller
NOAA, NMFS, Northeast Fisheries Science Center, 212 Rogers Avenue, Milford, CT 06460, USA
Received 25 June 2013; Accepted 22 October 2013
Academic Editor: Pavlos Kassomenos
Copyright © 2013 Gary H. Wikfors and Emilie Fernandez. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. A. Heil, P. M. Glibert, and C. Fan, “Prorocentrum minimum (Pavillard) Schiller:a review of a harmful algal bloom species of growing worldwide importance,” Harmful Algae, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 449–470, 2005.
- D. Grzebyk, A. Denardou, B. Berland, and Y. F. Pouchus, “Evidence of a new toxin in the red-tide dinoflagellate Prorocentrum minimum,” Journal of Plankton Research, vol. 19, no. 8, pp. 1111–1124, 1997.
- M. W. Luckenbach, K. G. Sellner, S. E. Shumway, and K. Greene, “Effects of two bloom-forming dinoflagellates, Prorocentrum minimum and Gyrodinium uncatenum, on the growth and survival of the eastern oyster, Crassostrea virginica (Gmelin 1791),” Journal of Shellfish Research, vol. 12, pp. 411–415, 1993.
- G. H. Wikfors, “A review and new analysis of trophic interactions between Prorocentrum minimum and clams, scallops, and oysters,” Harmful Algae, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 585–592, 2005.
- E. Galimany, I. Sunila, H. Hégaret, M. Ramón, and G. H. Wikfors, “Pathology and immune response of the blue mussel (Mytilus edulis L.) after an exposure to the harmful dinoflagellate Prorocentrum minimum,” Harmful Algae, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 630–638, 2008.
- H. Hégaret, P. M. da Silva, G. H. Wikfors, H. Haberkorn, S. E. Shumway, and P. Soudant, “In vitro interactions between several species of harmful algae and haemocytes of bivalve molluscs,” Cell Biology and Toxicology, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 249–266, 2011.
- Y. Li, I. Sunila, and G. H. Wikfors, “Bioactive effects of Prorocentrum minimum on juvenile bay scallops (Argopecten irradians irradians) are dependent upon algal physiological status,” Botanica Marina, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 19–29, 2012.
- D. K. Stoecker, A. Li, D. W. Coats, D. E. Gustafson, and M. K. Nannen, “Mixotrophy in the dineflagellate, Prorocentrum minimum,” Marine Ecology Progress Series, vol. 152, no. 1–3, pp. 1–12, 1997.
- C. Fan, P. M. Glibert, and J. M. Burkholder, “Characterization of the affinity for nitrogen, uptake kinetics, and environmental relationships for Prorocentrum minimum in natural blooms and laboratory cultures,” Harmful Algae, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 283–299, 2003.
- A. Li, D. K. Stoecker, D. W. Coats, and E. J. Adam, “Ingestion of fluorescently labeled and phycoerythrin-containing prey by mixotrophic dinoflagellates,” Aquatic Microbial Ecology, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 139–147, 1996.
- C. G. Trick, R. J. Andersen, and P. J. Harrison, “Environmental factors influencing the production of an antibacterial metabolite from a marine dinoflagellate, Prorocentrum minimum,” Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 423–432, 1984.
- H. Hégaret and G. H. Wikfors, “Time-dependent changes in hemocytes of eastern oysters, Crassostrea virginica, and northern bay scallops, Argopecten irradians irradians, exposed to a cultured strain of Prorocentrum minimum,” Harmful Algae, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 187–199, 2005.
- E. Granéli, “Kill your enemies and eat them with the help of your toxins: an algal strategy,” African Journal of Marine Science, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 331–336, 2006.
- H. J. Jeong, Y. D. Yoo, J. S. Kim, K. A. Seong, N. S. Kang, and T. H. Kim, “Growth, feeding and ecological roles of the mixotrophic and heterotrophic dinoflagellates in marine planktonic food webs,” Ocean Science Journal, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 65–91, 2010.
- P. M. Glibert, J. M. Burkholder, and T. M. Kana, “Recent insights about relationships between nutrient availability, forms, and stoichiometry, and the distribution, ecophysiology, and food web effects of pelagic and benthic Prorocentrum species,” Harmful Algae, vol. 14, pp. 231–259, 2012.
- J. Zhou and L. Fritz, “The PAS/accumulation bodies in Prorocentrum lima and Prorocentrum maculosum (Dinophyceae) are dinoflagellate lysosomes,” Journal of Phycology, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 39–44, 1994.
- G. H. Wikfors and R. M. Smolowitz, “Experimental and histological studies of four life-history stages of the eastern oyster, Crassostrea virginica, exposed to a cultured strain of the dinoflagellate Prorocentrum minimum,” Biological Bulletin, vol. 188, no. 3, pp. 313–328, 1995.