- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Family Medicine
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 872638, 7 pages
HIV Sexual and Drug-Use Risk in Drug-Dependent Pregnant Patients in Comprehensive Drug Treatment
1RTI International, 3040 Cornwallis Road, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
2Department of Psychiatry, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
3Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
4Department of Psychology, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742, USA
Received 3 December 2010; Revised 17 January 2011; Accepted 21 January 2011
Academic Editor: M. Kljakovic
Copyright © 2011 Hendrée E. Jones et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “Cases of HIV infection and AIDS in the United States and Dependent Areas,” 2005 HIV/AIDS Surveillance Report, vol. 17, 2007.
- R. M. Malow, S. J. Ireland, E. Stephen Halpert, J. Szapocznik, R. C. McMahon, and L. Haber, “A description of the Maternal Addiction Program of the University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Medical Center,” Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 55–60, 1994.
- M. Gossop, J. Marsden, D. Stewart, and S. Treacy, “Reduced injection risk and sexual risk behaviours after drug misuse treatment: results from the National Treatment Outcome Research Study,” AIDS Care, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 77–93, 2002.
- D. S. Metzger and H. Navaline, “Human Immunodeficiency Virus Prevention and the Potential of Drug Abuse Treatment,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 37, no. 12, pp. S451–S456, 2003.
- J. L. Sorensen and A. L. Copeland, “Drug abuse treatment as an HIV prevention strategy: a review,” Drug and Alcohol Dependence, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 17–31, 2000.
- D. S. Svikis, A. S. Golden, G. R. Huggins et al., “Cost-effectiveness of treatment for drug-abusing pregnant women,” Drug and Alcohol Dependence, vol. 45, no. 1-2, pp. 105–113, 1997.
- M. H. Coady, M. H. Latka, H. Thiede et al., “Housing status and associated differences in HIV risk behaviors among young injection drug users (IDUs),” AIDS and Behavior, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 854–863, 2007.
- K. W. Elifson, H. Klein, and C. E. Sterk, “Predictors of sexual risk-taking among new drug users,” Journal of Sex Research, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 318–327, 2006.
- D. D. Simpson, K. Knight, and S. Ray, “Psychosocial correlates of AIDS-risk drug use and sexual behaviors,” AIDS Education and Prevention, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 121–130, 1993.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Drug Associated HIV Transmission Continues in the United States, 2002.
- R. Chaudhury, H. E. Jones, W. Wechsberg, K. E. O'Grady, M. Tuten, and M. S. Chisolm, “Addiction severity index composite scores as predictors for sexual-risk behaviors and drug-use behaviors in drug-using pregnant patients,” American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 25–30, 2010.
- K. Gruber, M. A. Chutuape, and M. L. Stitzer, “Reinforcement-based intensive outpatient treatment for inner city opiate abusers: a short-term evaluation,” Drug and Alcohol Dependence, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 211–223, 2000.
- H. E. Jones, C. J. Wong, M. Tuten, and M. L. Stitzer, “Reinforcement-based therapy: 12-month evaluation of an outpatient drug-free treatment for heroin abusers,” Drug and Alcohol Dependence, vol. 79, no. 2, pp. 119–128, 2005.
- L. M. Jansson, D. S. Svikis, M. Velez, E. Fitzgerald, and H. E. Jones, “The impact of managed care on drug-dependent pregnant and postpartum women and their children,” Substance Use and Misuse, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 961–974, 2007.
- H. E. Jones, K. E. O'Grady, and M. Tuten, “Reinforcement-based treatment improves the maternaltreatment and neonatal outcomes of pregnant patients enrolled in comprehensive care treatment,” American Journal on Addictions. In press.
- L. M. Jansson, D. Svikis, J. Lee, P. Paluzzi, P. Rutigliano, and F. Hackerman, “Pregnancy and addiction: a comprehensive care model,” Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 321–329, 1997.
- N. H. Azrin and V. A. Besalel-Azrin, Job Club Counselor's Manual: A Behavioral Approach to Vocational Counseling, University Park Press, Baltimore, Md, USA, 1980.
- A. T. McLellan, H. Kushner, D. Metzger et al., “The fifth edition of the Addiction Severity Index,” Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 199–213, 1992.
- D. Metzger, et al., “The risk assessment battery (RAB): validity and reliability,” in Proceedings of the 6th Annual Meeting of the National Cooperative Vaccine Development Group for AIDS, Alexandria, Va, USA, 1993.
- K. Brewer-Smyth, G. Bucurescu, J. Shults et al., “Neurological function and HIV risk behaviors of female prison inmates,” The Journal of Neuroscience Nursing, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 361–372, 2007.
- G. R. Twitchell, A. Huber, C. J. Reback, and S. Shoptaw, “Comparison of general and detailed HIV risk assessments among methamphetamine abusers,” AIDS and Behavior, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 153–162, 2002.