- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Family Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 672857, 6 pages
The Missing Evaluation at the End of GP’s Consultation
1Department of Health Care and Social Services, City of Turku, PB 670, 20101 Turku, Finland
2Department of Primary Health Care, Turku University Hospital, PB 52, 20521 Turku, Finland
3Family Medicine, University of Turku, Lemminkäisenk 1, 20014 Turku, Finland
4Säkylä Köyliö Municipal Primary Health Care Centre, Välskärintie 5, 27800 Säkylä, Finland
5Public Health, University of Turku, Lemminkäisenkatu 1, 20014 Turku, Finland
6Turku Clinical Research Centre, Turku University Hospital, PB 52, 20521 Turku, Finland
Received 29 August 2012; Revised 4 December 2012; Accepted 4 December 2012
Academic Editor: Janko Kersnik
Copyright © 2013 Maisa Kuusela et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Sans-Corrales, E. Pujol-Ribera, J. Gené-Badia, M. I. Pasarín-Rua, B. Iglesias-Pérez, and J. Casajuana-Brunet, “Family medicine attributes related to satisfaction, health and costs,” Family Practice, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 308–316, 2006.
- P. Little, H. Everitt, I. Williamson et al., “Observational study of effect of patient centredness and positive approach on outcomes of general practice consultations,” British Medical Journal, vol. 323, no. 7318, pp. 908–911, 2001.
- M. A. Stewart, “Effective physician-patient communication and health outcomes: a review,” Canadian Medical Association Journal, vol. 152, no. 9, pp. 1423–1433, 1995.
- R. Tamblyn, M. Abrahamowicz, D. Dauphinee et al., “Physician scores on a national clinical skills examination as predictors of complaints to medical regulatory authorities,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 298, no. 9, pp. 993–1001, 2007.
- E. Jokisalo, E. Kumpusalo, H. Enlund, P. Halonen, and J. Takala, “Factors related to non-compliance with antihypertensive drug therapy,” Journal of Human Hypertension, vol. 16, no. 8, pp. 577–583, 2002.
- Wonca Europe, “The European definition of general practice/family medicine,” August 2012, http://www.woncaeurope.org/sites/default/files/documents/Definition%203rd%20ed%202011%20with%20revised%20wonca%20tree.pdf.
- J. G. R. Howie, D. Heaney, and M. Maxwell, “Quality, core values and the general practice consultation: issues of definition, measurement and delivery,” Family Practice, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 458–468, 2004.
- M. Stewart, “Towards a global definition of patient centred care: the patient should be the judge of patient centred care,” British Medical Journal, vol. 322, no. 7284, pp. 444–445, 2001.
- P. Little, H. Everitt, I. Williamson et al., “Preferences of patients for patient centred approach to consultation in primary care: observational study,” British Medical Journal, vol. 322, no. 7284, pp. 468–472, 2001.
- J. Ruusuvuori, L. Raevaara, and A. Peräkylä, “Potilas vaivansa tulkkina—ymmärtääkö lääkäri yskän?” Suomen Lääkärilehti, vol. 58, pp. 4219–4225, 2003.
- B. McKinstry, “Do patients wish to be involved in decision making in the consultation? A cross sectional survey with video vignettes,” British Medical Journal, vol. 321, no. 7265, pp. 867–871, 2000.
- R. T. Anderson, F. T. Camacho, and R. Balkrishnan, “Willing to wait? The influence of patient wait time on satisfaction with primary care,” BMC Health Services Research, vol. 7, article 31, 2007.
- M. Deveugele, A. Derese, A. van den Brink-Muinen, J. Bensing, and J. De Maeseneer, “Consultation length in general practice: cross sectional study,” British Medical Journal, vol. 325, no. 7362, pp. 472–474, 2002.
- S. O. Andersson and B. Mattson, “Features of good consultation in general practice: is time important?” Scandinavian Journal of Primary Health Care, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 227–232, 1994.
- M. Kuusela, P. Vainiomäki, S. Hinkka, and P. Rautava, “The quality of GP consultation in two different salary systems: a Finnish experience,” Scandinavian Journal of Primary Health Care, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 168–173, 2004.
- R. K. McKinley and J. F. Middleton, “What do patients want from doctors? Content analysis of written patient agendas for the consultation,” British Journal of General Practice, vol. 49, no. 447, pp. 796–800, 1999.
- P. Salokekkilä, Tauti ja Sairaus—Työikäiset Terveyskeskuslääkärin Vastaanotolla, The University of Kuopio, Kuopio, Finland, 1988.
- C. A. Barry, C. P. Bradley, N. Britten, F. A. Stevenson, and N. Barber, “Patients' unvoiced agendas in general practice consultations: qualitative study,” British Medical Journal, vol. 320, no. 7244, pp. 1246–1250, 2000.
- W. Levinson, R. Gorawara-Bhat, and J. Lamb, “A study of patient clues and physician responses in primary care and surgical settings,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 284, no. 8, pp. 1021–1027, 2000.
- V. S. Pirkko, Encounters in the Health Care, the Voice of the Patient, Dissertations in Health Sciences, no. 88, University of Eastern Finland, 2011.
- D. M. McCarthy, K. R. Waite, L. M. Curtis, K. G. Engel, D. W. Baker, and M. S. Wolf, “What did the doctor say? Health literacy and recall of medical instructions,” Medical Care, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 277–282, 2012.
- H. Boon and M. Stewart, “Patient-physician communication assessment instruments: 1986 to 1996 in review,” Patient Education and Counseling, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 161–176, 1998.
- H. F. Kraan, A. A. M. Crijnen, C. P. M. van der Vleuten, and T. Imbos, “Evaluating instruments for medical interviewing skills,” in The Medical Interview. Clinical Care, Education and Research, pp. 460–472, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 1995.
- M. Themessl-Huber, G. Humphris, J. Dowell, S. Macgillivray, R. Rushmer, and B. Williams, “Audio-visual recording of patient-GP consultations for research purposes: a literature review on recruiting rates and strategies,” Patient Education and Counseling, vol. 71, no. 2, pp. 157–168, 2008.
- S. Hobma, P. Ram, A. Muijtjens, C. van der Vleuten, and R. Grol, “Effective improvement of doctor-patient communication: a randomised controlled trial,” British Journal of General Practice, vol. 56, no. 529, pp. 580–586, 2006.
- J. van Thiel, P. Ram, and J. van Dalen, “MAAS-Global Manual 2000,” July 2011, http://www.hag.unimaas.nl/Maas-Global_2000/GB/MAAS-Global-2000-EN.pdf.
- H. P. Jung, M. Wensing, F. Olesen, and R. Grol, “Comparison of patients' and general practitioners' evaluations of general practice care,” Quality and Safety in Health Care, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 315–319, 2002.
- A. Andén, M. André, and C. E. Rudebeck, “What happened? GPs' perceptions of consultation outcomes and a comparison with the experiences of their patients,” European Journal of General Practice, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 80–84, 2010.
- R. Grol, M. Wensing, J. Mainz et al., “Patients in Europe evaluate general practice care: an international comparison,” British Journal of General Practice, vol. 50, no. 460, pp. 882–887, 2000.
- S. O. Hobma, P. M. Ram, A. M. M. Muijtjens, R. P. T. M. Grol, and C. P. M. van der Vleuten, “Setting a standard for performance assesment of doctor-patient communication in general practice,” Medical Education, vol. 38, no. 12, pp. 1244–1252, 2004.