- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Forestry Research
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 134526, 13 pages
Evaluating the Potential of Commercial Forest Inventory Data to Report on Forest Carbon Stock and Forest Carbon Stock Changes for REDD+ under the UNFCCC
1School of Geography and the Environment, Environmental Change Institute, University of Oxford, Dyson Perrins Building, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3QY, UK
2Food and Agricultural Organisation of the United Nations, UN-REDD Programme, Viale delle Terme di Caracalla, 00153 Rome, Italy
3Inra, UR BEF, Biogéochimie des Ecosystèmes Forestiers, 54280 Champenoux, France
4Cirad, UMR Eco&Sols, Ecologie Fonctionnelle & Biogéochimie des Sols & Agroécosystèmes (Montpellier SupAgro-CIRAD-INRA-IRD), 34060 Montpellier, France
5Botany and Computational Plant Architecture, UMR IRD-AMAP, 34398 Montpellier, France
6Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA, USA
7Laboratorio di Ecologia Forestale, Di.S.A.F.Ri, Facoltà di Agraria, Università degli Studi della Tuscia, Via Camillo de Lellis, snc, 01100 Viterbo, Italy
8GEEFT, AgroParisTech-ENGREF, 648 rue Jean-François Breton, BP 7355, 34086 Montpellier, France
9Institut de Recherche pour le Développement (IRD), UMR Eco&Sols, SupAgro, Bâtiment 12, 2 place Viala, 34060 Montpellier, Cedex 1, France
10Sylvafrica Ltda, BP 1888, Immeuble Océane, Carrefour Saoti, Quartier Haut Gué Gué, Libreville, Gabon
11TEREA, Résidence Nkové, Bâtterie IV, BP 831, Libreville, Gabon
12Agence Nationale des Parcs Nationaux, Présidence de la République, BP 20379, Libreville, Gabon
Received 8 July 2010; Accepted 18 January 2011
Academic Editor: Guofan Shao
Copyright © 2011 Danae Maniatis et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. A. Houghton, “Aboveground forest biomass and the global carbon balance,” Global Change Biology, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 945–958, 2005.
- F. Achard, H. D. Eva, H. J. Stibig et al., “Determination of deforestation rates of the world's humid tropical forests,” Science, vol. 297, no. 5583, pp. 999–1002, 2002.
- R. S. DeFries, R. A. Houghton, M. C. Hansen, C. B. Field, D. Skole, and J. Townshend, “Carbon emissions from tropical deforestation and regrowth based on satellite observations for the 1980s and 1990s,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 99, no. 22, pp. 14256–14261, 2002.
- R. E. Gullison, P. C. Frumhoff, J. G. Canadell et al., “Tropical forests and climate policy,” Science, vol. 316, no. 5827, pp. 985–986, 2007.
- G. R. van der Werf, D. C. Morton, R. S. Defries et al., “CO2 emissions from forest loss,” Nature Geoscience, vol. 2, no. 11, pp. 737–738, 2009.
- IPCC, “Good Practice Guidance for Land Use, Land-Use Change and Forestry,” Institute for Global Environmental Strategies, Japan, 2003.
- S. Brown, A. J. R. Gillespie, and A. E. Lugo, “Biomass estimation methods for tropical forests with applications to forest inventory data,” Forest Science, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 881–902, 1989.
- G. Gaston, S. Brown, M. Lorenzini, and K. D. Singh, “State and change in carbon pools in the forests of tropical Africa,” Global Change Biology, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 97–114, 1998.
- T. R. Feldpausch, A. J. McDonald, C. A. M. Passos, J. Lehmann, and S. J. Riha, “Biomass, harvestable area, and forest structure estimated from commercial timber inventories and remotely sensed imagery in southern Amazonia,” Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 233, no. 1, pp. 121–132, 2006.
- IPCC, “Guidelines for National Greenhouse Gas Inventories—Volume 4: Agriculture, Forestry and other Land Use,” Institute for Global Environmental Strategies, Japan, 2006.
- G. Grassi, S. Monni, S. Federici, F. Achard, and D. Mollicone, “Applying the conservativeness principle to REDD to deal with the uncertainties of the estimates,” Environmental Research Letters, vol. 3, no. 3, Article ID 035005, 2008.
- D. Maniatis and D. Mollicone, “Options for sampling and stratification for national forest inventories to implement REDD+ under the UNFCCC,” Carbon Balance and Management, vol. 5, p. 9, 2010.
- CIA World Factbook, Gabon, Central Intelligence Agency, Washington, DC, USA, 2008, https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/gb.html.
- J. G. Collomb, J. B. Mikissa, S. Minnemeyer Mudunga, et al., A First Look at Logging in Gabon. Global Forest Watch, World Resources Institute, Washington, DC, USA, 2000.
- ITTO, “Annual review and assessment of the world timber situation,” Document GI-7/09. International Tropical Timber Organization. Yokohama, Japan. Prepared by the Division of Economic Information and Market Intelligence, ITTO, 2009.
- J. Chave, C. Andalo, S. Brown et al., “Tree allometry and improved estimation of carbon stocks and balance in tropical forests,” Oecologia, vol. 145, no. 1, pp. 87–99, 2005.
- T. R. Baker, O. L. Philips, Y. Malhi, et al., “Variation in wood density determines spatial patterns in Amazonian forest plots,” Global Change Biology, vol. 10, pp. 1–18, 2004.
- D. Maniatis, L. Saint-André, M. Temmerman, Y. Malhi, and H. Beeckman, “The potential of using xylarium wood samples for wood density calculations: a comparison of approaches for volume measurements and preliminary ecological results,” unpublished data.
- A. E. Zanne, G. Lopez-Gonzalez, D. A. Coomes, et al., “Global wood density database,” Dryad. Identifier, http://hdl.handle.net/10255/dryad.235.
- J. Chave, R. Condit, S. Aguilar, A. Hernandez, S. Lao, and R. Perez, “Error propagation and sealing for tropical forest biomass estimates,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B, vol. 359, no. 1443, pp. 409–420, 2004.
- C. Sicard, L. Saint-Andre, D. Gelhaye, and J. Ranger, “Effect of initial fertilisation on biomass and nutrient content of Norway spruce and Douglas-fir plantations at the same site,” Trees, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 229–246, 2006.
- M. C. Wiemann and G. B. Williamson, “Geographic variation in wood specific gravity: effects of latitude, temperature, and precipitation,” Wood and Fiber Science, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 96–107, 2002.
- M. Henry, C. Couralet, H. Beeckman, et al., “Volume and biomass conversion factors for tropical rainforest and agroforestry systems in Africa,” unpublished data.
- J. Chave, R. Condit, S. Lao, J. P. Caspersen, R. B. Foster, and S. P. Hubbell, “Spatial and temporal variation of biomass in a tropical forest: results from a large census plot in Panama,” Journal of Ecology, vol. 91, no. 2, pp. 240–252, 2003.
- B. Zeide, “Plot size optimization,” Forest Science, vol. 26, pp. 251–257, 1980.
- T. B. Hart, “Monospecific dominance in tropical rain forests,” Trends in Ecology and Evolution, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 6–11, 1990.
- J. Maley, “The African rain forest vegetation and palaeoenvironments during late quaternary,” Climatic Change, vol. 19, no. 1-2, pp. 79–98, 1991.
- M. D. F. Udvardy, “A classification of the biogeographical provinces of the world,” Morges (Switzerland): International Union of Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources. IUCN Occasional Paper no. 18, 1975.
- G. Caballe, “Essai phytogéographique sur la foret dense du Gabon,” Annales de l'Université Nationale du Gabon, no. 02, pp. 87–101, 1978.
- D. M. Olson, E. Dinerstein, E. D. Wikramanayake et al., “Terrestrial ecoregions of the world: a new map of life on Earth,” BioScience, vol. 51, no. 11, pp. 933–938, 2001.
- S. Brown and G. Gaston, “Use of forest inventories and geographic information systems to estimate biomass density of tropical forests: application to tropical Africa,” Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, vol. 38, no. 2-3, pp. 157–168, 1995.
- H. K. Gibbs and S. Brown, “Geographical Distribution of Woody Biomass Carbon in Tropical Africa: An Updated Database for 2000, NDP-055b,” Carbon Dioxide Information Center, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, Tenn, USA, 2007, http://cdiac.ornl.gov/epubs/ndp/ndp055/ndp055b.html.
- M. Keller, M. Palace, and G. Hurtt, “Biomass estimation in the Tapajos National Forest, Brazil examination of sampling and allometric uncertainties,” Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 154, no. 3, pp. 371–382, 2001.
- S. Gourlet-Fleury, V. Rossi, M. Rejou-Mechain, V. Freycon, et al., “Environmental filtering of dense-wooded species controls above-ground biomass stored in African moist forests,” submitted to Journal of Ecology.
- M. A. Cairns, S. Brown, E. H. Helmer, and G. A. Baumgardner, “Root biomass allocation in the world's upland forests,” Oecologia, vol. 111, no. 1, pp. 1–11, 1997.