- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Forestry Research
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 320170, 8 pages
Midwest Logging Firm Perspectives: Harvesting on Increasingly Parcelized Forestlands
1Department of Natural Resources, Cornell University, 209 Bruckner Hall, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
2Hardwood Tree Improvement and Regeneration Center, Department of Forestry and Natural Resources, Purdue University, 715 W. State Street, West Lafayette, IN 47907, USA
3Southwick Associates, P.O. Box 6435, Fernandina Beach, FL 32035, USA
Received 4 June 2011; Accepted 11 August 2011
Academic Editor: Guofan Shao
Copyright © 2011 Shorna Allred et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. A. Sinclair, C. C. Hassler, K. Bolstad, and E. Kallio, “Characteristics of independent loggers: productivity, employees, profitability,” Forest Products Journal, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 19–24, 1985.
- M. Rickenbah, T. Steele, and M. Shira, Status of the Logging Sector in Wisconsin and Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, University of Wisconsin Extension, Woodruff, Wis, USA, 2003.
- C. Best and L. A. Wayburn, America's Private Forests, Island Press, Washington, DC, USA, 2001.
- D. J. Nowak and J. T. Walton, “Projected urban growth (2000–2050) and its estimated impact on the US forest resource,” Journal of Forestry, vol. 103, no. 8, pp. 383–389, 2005.
- D. N. Wear, R. Liu, J. M. Foreman, and R. M. Sheffield, “The effects of population growth on timber management and inventories in Virginia,” Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 118, no. 1–3, pp. 107–115, 1999.
- W. D. Greene, T. G. Harris Jr., C. E. DeForest, and J. Wang, “Harvesting cost implications of changes in the size of timber sales in Georgia,” Southern Journal of Applied Forestry, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 193–198, 1997.
- C. Woodall, D. Johnson, J. Gallion et al., Indiana's Forests 1999–2003 (Part A), USDA Forest Service NC-253A, Saint Paul, Minn, USA, 2005.
- C. W. Toms, M. R. Dubois, J. C. Bliss, J. H. Wilhoit, and R. B. Rummer, “A survey of animal-powered logging in Alabama,” Southern Journal of Applied Forestry, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 17–24, 2001.
- L. A. DeCoster, “The boom in forest owners—a bust for forestry?” Journal of Forestry, vol. 96, no. 5, pp. 25–28, 1998.
- R. B. Hull, D. P. Robertson, and G. J. Buhyoff, “Boutique forestry: new forest practices in urbanizing landscapes,” Journal of Forestry, vol. 102, no. 1, pp. 14–19, 2004.
- P. H. Gobster and M. G. Rickenbach, “Private forestland parcelization and development in Wisconsin's Northwoods: perceptions of resource-oriented stakeholders,” Landscape and Urban Planning, vol. 69, no. 2-3, pp. 165–182, 2004.
- B. C. Butler, E. C. Leatherberry, C. Best, M. A. Kilgore, R. N. Sampson, and K. Larson, “America's family forest owners,” Journal of Forestry, vol. 102, no. 7, pp. 4–9, 2004.
- F. W. Cubbage, “Economics of forest tract size: theory and literature,” Forest Service General Technical Report SO-GTR-41, 1983.
- F. W. Cubbage and J. W. Davis, “Historical and regional stumpage price trends in Georgia,” Forest Products Journal, vol. 36, no. 9, pp. 33–39, 1986.
- C. Row, “Economics of trace size and growing timber,” Journal of Forestry, vol. 76, no. 9, pp. 576–582, 1978.
- T. J. Straka, H. W. Wisdom, and J. E. Moak, “Size of forest holding and investment behavior of nonindustrial private owners,” Journal of Forestry, vol. 82, no. 8, pp. 495–496, 1984.
- J. Romm, R. Tuazon, and C. Washburn, “Relating forestry investment to the characteristics of nonindustrial private forestland owners in northern California,” Forest Science, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 197–209, 1987.
- K. K. Edwards and J. C. Bliss, “It's a neighborhood now: practicing forestry at the urban fringe,” Journal of Forestry, vol. 101, no. 3, pp. 6–11, 2003.
- W. D. Greene, F. W. Cubbage, and J. F. McNeel, “Characteristics of independent loggers in Georgia,” Forest Products Journal, vol. 38, no. 7-8, pp. 51–56, 1988.
- M. Rickenbach and T. W. Steele, “Logging firms, nonindustrial private forests, and forest parcelization: evidence of firm specialization and its impact on sustainable timber supply,” Canadian Journal of Forest Research, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 186–194, 2006.
- M. Rickenbach and T. W. Steele, “Comparing mechanized and non-mechanized logging firms in Wisconsin: implications for a dynamic ownership and policy environment,” Forest Products Journal, vol. 55, no. 11, pp. 21–26, 2005.
- D. S. Powell, J. L. Faulkner, D. R. Darr, Z. Zhu, and D. W. MacCleery, “Forest resources of the United States,” General Technical Report RM-234, USDA Forest Service Rocky Mountain Forest and Range Experiment Station, Fort Collins, Colo, USA, 1992.
- M. J. Keefer, J. C. Finley, A. E. Luloff, and M. E. McDill, “Understanding loggers' perceptions,” Journal of Sustainable Forestry, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 81–102, 2003.
- I. A. Munn, J. B. Cutshall, and D. G. Hodges, “1993 pulpwood logging contractor survey,” Forest Products Journal, vol. 48, no. 7-8, pp. 47–53, 1998.
- W. G. Luppold, C. C. Hassler, and S. Grushecky, “An examination of West Virginia's logging industry,” Forest Products Journal, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 60–64, 1998.
- S. R. Shifley and N. H. Sullivan, “The status of timber resources in the North Central United States,” USDA Forest Service NC-GTR-228, 2002.
- D. A. Dillman, Mail and Internet Surveys: The Tailored Design Method, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 2000.
- J. W. Grice, “Computing and evaluating factor scores,” Psychological Methods, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 430–450, 2001.
- K. A. Schaaf, A. L. Ross-Davis, and S. R. Broussard, “Exploring the dimensionality and social bases of the public's timber harvesting attitudes,” Landscape and Urban Planning, vol. 78, no. 1-2, pp. 135–146, 2006.
- K. A. Schaaf and S. R. Broussard, “Private forest policy tools: a national survey exploring the American public's perceptions and support,” Forest Policy and Economics, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 316–334, 2006.