- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Forestry Research
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 980259, 9 pages
Comparison of the Growth of Six Eucalyptus Species in Angola
1Department of Forest Sciences, Faculty of Agrarian Sciences, University of Jose Eduardo dos Santos, Campus de Tchianga, P.O. Box 236, 22.051 Huambo, Angola
2Delegation of the European Union to Cape Verde, Development and Cooperation DEVCO Section, Achada Santo Antonio, P.O. Box 122, 7600 Praia, Cape Verde
3School of Forest Sciences, University of Eastern Finland, P.O. Box 111, 80101 Joensuu, Finland
Received 10 April 2011; Accepted 29 June 2011
Academic Editor: Harri Mäkinen
Copyright © 2011 Cristobal Delgado-Matas and Timo Pukkala. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. W. Coppen, Ed., Eucalyptus, Taylor & Francis, London, UK, 2002.
- G. Petroff, “Une fabrique de pate a papier en Angola: la celulose do ultramar portugues,” Bois et Forets des Tropiques, vol. 119, no. 4-5, pp. 31–42, 1968.
- M. L. Silva, Algumas Notas Sobre a Cultura do Eucalipto em Angola, I.I.A.A. Serie Técnica, Nova Lisboa, Huambo, Angola, 1969.
- Food and Agriculture Organization of United Nation (FAO), “Land tenure and sustainable management in Angola,” Tech. Rep., Food and Agriculture Organization of United Nation, 2009.
- Food and Agriculture Organization of United Nation (FAO), “Contribuição do sector florestal no desenvolvimento rural,” in Angola: Agricultural Recovery and Development Options Review, 1996.
- Food and Agriculture Organization of United Nation (FAO), “FAO/WFP/GSA/MINADER crop and food supply assessment mission to Angola,” Tech. Rep., Food and Agriculture Organization of United Nation, 1998.
- F. M. Sampaio, “Plantações de Eucalyptus da companhia do caminho de ferro de Benguela, notas sobre técnicas culturais e de exploração,” Agronomia Angolana, vol. 24, pp. 67–71, 1966.
- R. M. A. Sardinha, Variation in density and some structural features of wood from Eucalyptus saligna from Angola, Ph.D. thesis, Oxford University, Oxford, UK, 1974.
- C. Delgado-Matas and T. Pukkala, “Growth models for Pinus patula in Angola,” Southern Forests, vol. 72, no. 3, pp. 153–161, 2010.
- J. W. Turnbull and L. D. Pryor, “Choice of species and seed sources,” in Eucalypts for Wood Production, W. E. Hillis and A. G. Brown, Eds., Academic Press, Sydney, Australia, 1984.
- National Herbarium of New South Wales, “New South Wales flora online,” 1999, http://plantnet.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/NSWfl.pl?page=nswfl&lvl=gn&name=Eucalyptus.
- Food and Agriculture Organization of United Nations (FAO), “Global planted forests thematic study: results and analysis,” in Planted Forests and Trees Working Paper 38, A. del Lungo, J. Bal, and J. Carle, Eds., Food and Agriculture Organization of United Nations, Rome, Italy, 2006.
- B. K. Bredenkamp, “The Langepan C.C.T.: a visitor's guide to a correlated curve trend experiment in Eucalyptus grandis,” Information Bulletin 11/84, Directory Forestry, Pietermaritzburg, South Africa, 1984.
- J. H. Louw, “A site-growth study of Eucalyptus grandis in the Mpumalanga escarpment area,” Southern African Forestry Journal, no. 180, pp. 1–14, 1997.
- T. Pukkala, Selection of Tree Species for Plantation Forests in Eastern and Southern Africa, University of Joensuu, Joensuu, Finland, 2000.
- M. Du Plessis and J. Zwolinski, “Site and stand analysis for growth prediction of Eucalyptus grandis on the Zululand coastal plain,” Southern African Forestry Journal, no. 198, pp. 23–33, 2003.
- T. L. Swain and R. A. W. Gardner, “Cold tolerant eucalypts in South Africa—growth information for informed site-species matching in SA,” Southern African Forestry Journal, no. 202, pp. 83–84, 2004.
- F. S. Malan, “The effect of planting density on the wood quality of South African-grown Eucalyptus grandis,” Southern African Forestry Journal, no. 205, pp. 31–37, 2005.
- D. Mabvurira and W. Bgoni, “The growth and yield of E. grandis at Mtao: 20 years spacing trial results,” Zimbabwe Bulletin of Forestry Research no. 13, Forest Research Centre, Highlands, Harare, Zimbabwe, 1996.
- A. Mushaka, “Relationships between growth, mineral nutrition and site factors for Eucalyptus camaldulensis (Dehnh) planted in some communal areas of Zimbabwe,” Southern African Forestry Journal, no. 183, pp. 59–65, 1998.
- T. Pukkala and K. Eerikäinen, Establishment and management of tree plantations in Southern and Eastern Africa, University of Joensuu, Joensuu, Finland, 2000.
- C. Diniz, Características Mesologicas de Angola, Missão de Inquéritos Agrícolas de Angola, Nova Lisboa, Huambo, Angola, 1973.
- C. Diniz, Angola, o Meio Físico e Potencialidades Agrárias, Instituto da Cooperação Portuguesa, Lisboa, Portugal, 1998.
- F. A. B. Marcelino, A Precipitação na Chianga 1942–1982, Instituto de Investigação Agronômica, 1985.
- Missão de Pedologia de Angola (MPA), Carta Geral dos Solos de Angola, Distrito de Huambo, Memórias da Junta de Investigações do Ultramar, 1961.
- Missão de Inquéritos Agrícolas de Angola (MIAA), Recenseamento Agrícola de Angola, no. 29 Planalto Central (Zona Agrícola no. 24) Primeira Parte, Agricultura Tradicional, Luanda, Angola, 1971.
- I. Botman, Production potential of Eucalypt woodlots for bioenergy in the Winelands region of the Western Cape, M.S. thesis, University of Stellenbosch, Stellenbosch, South Africa, 2010.
- G. Verzino, P. Ingaramo, J. Joseau, E. Astini, J. Di Rienzo, and M. Dorado, “Basal area growth curves for Pinus patula in two areas of the Calamuchita Valley, Cordoba, Argentina,” Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 124, no. 2-3, pp. 185–192, 1999.
- M. Stokes and T. Smiley, An Introduction to Tree-Ring Dating, University of Chicago Press, Chicago, Ill, USA, 1968.
- G. M. Downes, D. Drew, M. Battaglia, and D. Schulze, “Measuring and modelling stem growth and wood formation: an overview,” Dendrochronologia, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 147–157, 2009.
- Food and Agriculture Organization of United Nation (FAO), Eucalypts for Planting, Food and Agriculture Organization of United Nation, 1979.
- B. Zobel, G. van Wyk, and P. Stahl, Growing Exotic Forests, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1987.
- I. P. Burgess, “Provenance trials of Eucalyptus grandis and E. saligna in Australia,” Silvae Genetic, vol. 37, no. 5-6, pp. 221–227, 1987.
- Food and Agriculture Organization of United Nation (FAO), “Planted Forest Database: analysis of annual planting trends and silvicultural parameters for commonly planted species,” in Planted Forests and Trees Working Papers, Working Paper 26, A. del Lungo, Ed., Forest Resources Development Service, Forest Resources Division, FAO, Rome, Italy, 2003.
- P. Jagger and J. Pender, “The role of trees for sustainable management of less-favored lands: the case of Eucalyptus in Ethiopia,” Forest Policy and Economics, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 83–95, 2003.
- R. Safou-Matondo, P. Deleporte, J. P. Laclau, and J. P. Bouillet, “Hybrid and clonal variability of nutrient content and nutrient use efficiency in Eucalyptus stands in Congo,” Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 210, no. 1–3, pp. 193–204, 2005.
- L. Diaz-Balteiro and L. C. E. Rodriguez, “Optimal rotations on Eucalyptus plantations including carbon sequestration—a comparison of results in Brazil and Spain,” Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 229, no. 1–3, pp. 247–258, 2006.
- B. du Toit, “Effects of site management on growth, biomass partitioning and light use efficiency in a young stand of Eucalyptus grandis in South Africa,” Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 255, no. 7, pp. 2324–2336, 2008.
- J. L. Stape, D. Binkley, M. G. Ryan et al., “The Brazil Eucalyptus potential productivity project: influence of water, nutrients and stand uniformity on wood production,” Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 259, no. 9, pp. 1684–1694, 2010.
- J. N. Fonweban and F. Houllier, “Eucalyptus saligna au Cameroun,” Bois et Forests des Tropiques, vol. 253, no. 3, pp. 21–36, 1997.
- R. J. Poynton, Tree Planting in Southern Africa, vol. 2 of The Eucalypts, South African Department of Forestry, 1979.
- K. Eldridge, J. Davidson, C. Harwood, and G. van Wyk, Eucalypts Domestication and Breeding, Oxford Science Publications, Oxford, UK, 1993.
- R. M. Sardinha, F. M. Fonseca, and J. L. Louzada, On the Identity of Trees Currently Known as Eucalyptus saligna and E. grandis in Angola, IUFRO, Sao Paulo, Brazil, 1988.
- C. J. Borough, W. D. Incoll, J. R. May, and T. Bird, “Yield statistics,” in Eucalypts for Wood Production, W. E. Hillis and Brown, Eds., pp. 201–229, Csiro Academic Press, Collingwood, Australia, 1984.
- J. R. Melo, Pinus patula Schl. E Cham.. Características biométricas, químicas e papeleiras. I.I.A.A., no. 37, 1974.
- A. C. Almeida, J. V. Soares, J. J. Landsberg, and G. D. Rezende, “Growth and water balance of Eucalyptus grandis hybrid plantations in Brazil during a rotation for pulp production,” Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 251, no. 1-2, pp. 10–21, 2007.
- B. du Toit, C. W. Smith, K. M. Little, G. Boreham, and R. N. Pallett, “Intensive, site-specific silviculture: manipulating resource availability at establishment for improved stand productivity. A review of South African research,” Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 259, no. 9, pp. 1836–1845, 2010.