- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Forestry Research
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 103878, 10 pages
Clone-Specific Response in Leaf Nitrate Reductase Activity among Unrelated Hybrid Poplars in relation to Soil Nitrate Availability
1Fiducie de Recherche sur la Forêt des Cantons-de-l'Est, Eastern Townships Forest Research Trust, 1 Rue Principale, St-Benoît-du-Lac, QC, J0B 2M0, Canada
2Centre d'Étude de la Forêt (CEF), Université du Québec à Montréal, C.P. 8888, Succursale Centre-Ville, Montréal, QC, H3C 3P8, Canada
3Department of Biology, University of Regina, 3737 Wascana Parkway, Regina, SK, S4S 0A2, Canada
4Département des Sciences Biologiques, Université du Québec à Montréal, C.P. 8888, Succursale Centre-Ville, Montréal, QC, H3C 3P8, Canada
Received 17 September 2012; Accepted 26 October 2012
Academic Editor: Guy R. Larocque
Copyright © 2012 Julien Fortier et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Fortier, D. Gagnon, B. Truax, and F. Lambert, “Biomass and volume yield after 6 years in multiclonal hybrid poplar riparian buffer strips,” Biomass and Bioenergy, vol. 34, no. 7, pp. 1028–1040, 2010.
- I. Laureysens, J. Bogaert, R. Blust, and R. Ceulemans, “Biomass production of 17 poplar clones in a short-rotation coppice culture on a waste disposal site and its relation to soil characteristics,” Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 187, no. 2-3, pp. 295–309, 2004.
- L. A. Licht and J. G. Isebrands, “Linking phytoremediated pollutant removal to biomass economic opportunities,” Biomass and Bioenergy, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 203–218, 2005.
- J. A. Stanturf, C. van Oosten, M. D. Coleman, and C. J. Portwood, “Ecology and silviculture of poplar plantations,” in Poplar Culture in North America, D. I. Dickmann, J. G. Isebrands, J. E. Eckenwalder, and J. Richardson, Eds., pp. 153–206, NRC Research Press, National Research Council of Canada, Ottawa, ON, Canada, 2001.
- M. Oelbermann, R. Paul Voroney, and A. M. Gordon, “Carbon sequestration in tropical and temperate agroforestry systems: a review with examples from Costa Rica and southern Canada,” Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, vol. 104, no. 3, pp. 359–377, 2004.
- B. Truax, D. Gagnon, J. Fortier, and F. Lambert, “Yield in 8 year-old hybrid poplar plantations on abandoned farmland along climatic and soil fertility gradients,” Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 267, pp. 228–239, 2012.
- J. Fortier, D. Gagnon, B. Truax, and F. Lambert, “Understory plant diversity and biomass in hybrid poplar riparian buffer strips in pastures,” New Forests, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 241–265, 2011.
- H. D. Bradshaw, R. Ceulemans, J. Davis, and R. Stettler, “Emerging model systems in plant biology: poplar (Populus) as a model forest tree,” Journal of Plant Growth Regulation, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 306–313, 2000.
- J. E. Eckenwalder, “Descriptions of clonal characteristics,” in Poplar Culture in North America. Part B, D. I. Dickmann, J. G. Isenbrands, J. E. Eckenwalder, and J. Richardson, Eds., chapter 13, pp. 331–382, NRC Research Press, National Research Council of Canada, Ottawa, ON, Canada, 2001.
- D. E. Riemenschneider, B. J. Stanton, G. Vallée, and P. P. Périnet, “Poplar breeding strategies. Part A,” in Poplar Culture in North America, D. I. Dickmann, J. G. Isebrands, J. E. Eckenwalder, and J. Richardson, Eds., chapter 2, pp. 43–76, NRC Research Press, National Research Council of Canada, Ottawa, ON, Canada, 2001.
- D. I. Dickmann and Y. A. Kuzovkina, “Poplars and willows of the world, with emphasis on silviculturally important species,” Working Paper IPC/9-2, FAO Forest Management Division, Rome, Italy, 2008.
- J. E. K. Cooke and S. B. Rood, “Trees of the people: the growing science of poplars in Canada and worldwide,” Canadian Journal of Botany, vol. 85, no. 12, pp. 1103–1110, 2007.
- F. S. Chapin, K. Van Cleve, and P. R. Tryon, “Relationship of ion absorption to growth rate in taiga trees,” Oecologia, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 238–242, 1986.
- W. T. M. Woolfolk, Influence of ammonium:nitrate ratio on growth and N accumulation of Populus deltoides [M.S. thesis], Mississippi State University, Starkville, Miss, USA, 2000.
- M. C. Leirós, C. Trasar-Cepeda, S. Seoane, and F. Gil-Sotres, “Dependence of mineralization of soil organic matter on temperature and moisture,” Soil Biology and Biochemistry, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 327–335, 1999.
- K. G. Cassman and D. N. Munns, “Nitrogen mineralization as affected by soil moisture, temperature, and depth,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 1233–1237, 1980.
- M. Hefting, J. C. Clément, D. Dowrick et al., “Water table elevation controls on soil nitrogen cycling in riparian wetlands along a European climatic gradient,” Biogeochemistry, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 113–134, 2004.
- K. Kielland, J. McFarland, and K. Olson, “Amino acid uptake in deciduous and coniferous taiga ecosystems,” Plant and Soil, vol. 288, no. 1-2, pp. 297–307, 2006.
- A. DesRochers, R. Van Den Driessche, and B. R. Thomas, “The interaction between nitrogen source, soil pH, and drought in the growth and physiology of three poplar clones,” Canadian Journal of Botany, vol. 85, no. 11, pp. 1046–1057, 2007.
- W. T. M. Woolfolk and A. L. Friend, “Growth response of cottonwood roots to varied NH4:NO3 ratios in enriched patches,” Tree Physiology, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 427–432, 2003.
- X. Min, M. Y. Siddiqi, R. D. Guy, A. D. M. Glass, and H. J. Kronzucker, “Induction of nitrate uptake and nitrate reductase activity in trembling aspen and lodgepole pine,” Plant, Cell and Environment, vol. 21, no. 10, pp. 1039–1046, 1998.
- X. Min, M. Y. Siddiqi, R. D. Guy, A. D. M. Glass, and H. J. Kronzucker, “A comparative study of fluxes and compartmentation of nitrate and ammonium in early-successional tree species,” Plant, Cell and Environment, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 821–830, 1999.
- B. Truax, F. Lambert, D. Gagnon, and N. Chevrier, “Nitrate reductase and glutamine synthetase activities in relation to growth and nitrogen assimilation in red oak and red ash seedlings: effects of N-forms, N concentration and light intensity,” Trees, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 12–18, 1994.
- W. H. Campbell, “Nitrate reductase and its role in nitrate assimilation in plants,” Physiologia Plantarum, vol. 74, no. 1, pp. 214–219, 1988.
- A. Al Gharbi and C. R. Hipkin, “Studies on nitrate reductase in british angiosperms. I. A comparison of nitrate reductase activity in ruderal, woodland-edge and woody species,” New Phytologist, vol. 97, no. 4, pp. 629–639, 1984.
- F. Lambert, B. Truax, D. Gagnon, and N. Chevrier, “Growth and N nutrition, monitored by enzyme assays, in a hardwood plantation: effects of mulching materials and glyphosate application,” Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 70, no. 1–3, pp. 231–244, 1994.
- M. A. Nicodemus, K. F. Salifu, and D. F. Jacobs, “Nitrate reductase activity and nitrogen compounds in xylem exudate of Juglans nigra seedlings: relation to nitrogen source and supply,” Trees, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 685–695, 2008.
- N. Smirnoff, P. Todd, and G. R. Stewart, “The occurrence of nitrate reduction in the leaves of woody plants,” Annals of Botany, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 363–374, 1984.
- L. Koyama and K. Kielland, “Plant physiological responses to hydrologically mediated changes in nitrogen supply on a boreal forest floodplain: a mechanism explaining the discrepancy in nitrogen demand and supply,” Plant and Soil, vol. 342, no. 1-2, pp. 129–139, 2011.
- B. Truax, D. Gagnon, and N. Chevrier, “Nitrate reductase activity in relation to growth and soil N forms in red oak and red ash planted in three different environments: forest, clear-cut and field,” Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 71–82, 1994.
- B. Truax, D. Gagnon, F. Lambert, and N. Chevrier, “Nitrate assimilation of raspberry and pin cherry in a recent clearcut,” Canadian Journal of Botany, vol. 72, no. 9, pp. 1343–1348, 1994.
- G. F. Dykstra, “Nitrate reductase activity and protein concentration of two Populas clones,” Plant Physiology, vol. 53, pp. 632–634, 1974.
- B. L. Black, L. H. Fuchigami, and G. D. Coleman, “Partitioning of nitrate assimilation among leaves, stems and roots of poplar,” Tree Physiology, vol. 22, no. 10, pp. 717–724, 2002.
- T. N. Rosenstiel, A. L. Ebbets, W. C. Khatri, R. Fall, and R. K. Monson, “Induction of poplar leaf nitrate reductase: a test of extrachloroplastic control of isoprene emission rate,” Plant Biology, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 12–21, 2004.
- R. T. W. Siegwolf, R. Matyssek, M. Saurer et al., “Stable isotope analysis reveals differential effects of soil nitrogen and nitrogen dioxide on the water use efficiency in hybrid poplar leaves,” New Phytologist, vol. 149, no. 2, pp. 233–246, 2001.
- H. Rennenberg, H. Wildhagen, and B. Ehlting, “Nitrogen nutrition of poplar trees,” Plant Biology, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 275–291, 2010.
- K. M. Klingensmith and K. V. Cleve, “Patterns of nitrogen mineralization and nitrification in floodplain successional soils along the Tanana River, interior Alaska,” Canadian Journal of Forest Research, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 964–969, 1993.
- A. Robitaille and J. P. Saucier, Paysages Régionaux Du Québec Méridional,, Les publications du Québec, Ste-Foy, QC, Canada, 1998.
- J.-P. Saucier, J.-F. Bergeron, P. Grondin, and P. Robitaille, “Les régions écologiques du Québec méridional (3e version): un des éléments du système hiérarchique de classification écologique du territoire mis au point par le ministère des Ressources naturelles du Québec,” L'Aubelle, vol. 124, pp. 1–12, 1998.
- D. B. Cann and P. Lajoie, Etudes des Sols des Comtés de Stanstead, Richmond, Sherbrooke et Compton dans la Province de Québec, Ministère de l'Agriculture, Ottawa, Canada, 1943.
- J. Fortier, D. Gagnon, B. Truax, and F. Lambert, “Nutrient accumulation and carbon sequestration in 6-year-old hybrid poplars in multiclonal agricultural riparian buffer strips,” Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, vol. 137, no. 3-4, pp. 276–287, 2010.
- P. Périnet, H. Gagnon, and S. Morin, Liste des Clones Recommandés de Peuplier Hybride par Sous-Région écologique au Québec (Révision Février 2001), Direction de la Recherche Forestière, MRN, Québec, Canada, 2001.
- R. G. D. Steel and J. H. Torrie, Principles and Procedures of Statistics, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 1980.
- P. Qian, J. J. Schoenau, and W. Z. Huang, “Use of ion exchange membranes in routine soil testing,” Communications in Soil Science & Plant Analysis, vol. 23, no. 15-16, pp. 1791–1804, 1992.
- R. J. Raison, M. J. Connell, and P. K. Khanna, “Methodology for studying fluxes of soil mineral-N in situ,” Soil Biology and Biochemistry, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 521–530, 1987.
- D. R. Keeney and D. W. Nelson, “Nitrogen: inorganic forms,” in Methods of Soil Analysis: Part 2, A. L. Page, R. H. Miller, and D. R. Keeney, Eds., pp. 643–698, American Society of Agronomy, Madison, Wis, USA, 1982.
- E. G. Jaworski, “Nitrate reductase assay in intact plant tissues,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 1274–1279, 1971.
- P. R. Larson and J. G. Isebrands, “The plastochron index as applied to developmental studies of cottonwood,” Canadian Journal of Forest Research, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 1–11, 1971.
- R. G. Peterson, Design and Analysis of Experiments, Marcel-Dekker, New York, NY, USA, 1985.
- K. H. Johnson, B. C. Bongarten, and L. R. Boring, “Effects of nitrate on in viva nitrate reductase activity of seedlings from three open-pollinated families of Robinia pseudoacacia,” Tree Physiology, vol. 8, pp. 381–389, 1991.
- J. P. Schimel, R. G. Cates, and R. Ruess, “The role of balsam poplar secondary chemicals in controlling soil nutrient dynamics through succession in the Alaskan taiga,” Biogeochemistry, vol. 42, no. 1-2, pp. 221–234, 1998.
- J. A. Schweitzer, M. D. Madritch, J. K. Bailey et al., “From genes to ecosystems: the genetic basis of condensed tannins and their role in nutrient regulation in a Populus model system,” Ecosystems, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 1005–1020, 2008.
- C. R. Ridge, T. M. Hinckley, R. F. Stettler, and E. Van Volkenburgh, “Leaf growth characteristics of fast-growing poplar hybrids Populus trichocarpa x P. deltoides,” Tree Physiology, vol. 1, pp. 209–216, 1986.
- T. S. Barigah, B. Saugier, M. Mousseau, J. Guittet, and R. Ceulemans, “Photosynthesis, leaf area and productivity of 5 poplar clones during their establishment year,” Annales des Sciences Forestieres, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 613–625, 1994.
- P. Heilman and R. J. Norby, “Nutrient cycling and fertility management in temperate short rotation forest systems,” Biomass and Bioenergy, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 361–370, 1998.
- L. S. Lodhiyal and N. Lodhiyal, “Nutrient cycling and nutrient use efficiency in short rotation, high density central Himalayan Tarai poplar plantations,” Annals of Botany, vol. 79, no. 5, pp. 517–527, 1997.
- T. J. Blake, T. J. Tschaplinski, and A. Eastham, “Stomatal control of water use efficiency in poplar clones and hybrids,” Canadian Journal of Botany, vol. 62, no. 7, pp. 1344–1351, 1984.
- M. G. R. Cannell, L. J. Sheppard, and R. Milne, “Light use efficiency and woody biomass production of poplar and willow,” Forestry, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 125–136, 1988.
- J. E. K. Cooke, T. A. Martin, and J. M. Davis, “Short-term physiological and developmental responses to nitrogen availability in hybrid poplar,” New Phytologist, vol. 167, no. 1, pp. 41–52, 2005.
- D. S. Green, E. L. Kruger, and G. R. Stanosz, “Effects of polyethylene mulch in a short-rotation, poplar plantation vary with weed-control strategies, site quality and clone,” Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 173, no. 1–3, pp. 251–260, 2003.
- J. A. Zalesny, R. S. Zalesny, D. R. Coyle, R. B. Hall, and E. O. Bauer, “Clonal variation in morphology of Populus root systems following irrigation with landfill leachate or water during 2 years of establishment,” Bioenergy Research, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 134–143, 2009.
- R. M. A. Block, K. C. J. Van Rees, and J. D. Knight, “A review of fine root dynamics in Populus plantations,” Agroforestry Systems, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 73–84, 2006.
- R. Ceulemans, R. F. Stettler, T. M. Hinckley, J. G. Isebrands, and P. E. Heilman, “Crown architecture of Populus clones as determined by branch orientation and branch characteristics,” Tree Physiology, vol. 7, pp. 157–167, 1990.
- J. G. Isebrands and D. A. Michael, “Effects of leaf morphology and orientation on solar radiation interception and photosynthesis in Populus,” in Crown and Canopy Structure in Relation To Productivity, T. Fujimori and D. Whitehead, Eds., pp. 359–381, Forestry and Forest Products Research Institute, Ibaraki, Japan, 1986.
- J. M. Dunlap and R. F. Stettler, “Genetic variation and productivity of Populus trichocarpa and its hybrids. X. Trait correlations in young black cottonwood from four river valleys in Washington,” Trees, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 28–39, 1998.
- A. Pliura, S. Y. Zhang, J. MacKay, and J. Bousquet, “Genotypic variation in wood density and growth traits of poplar hybrids at four clonal trials,” Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 238, no. 1–3, pp. 92–106, 2007.
- X. Min, M. Y. Siddiqi, R. D. Guy, A. D. M. Glass, and H. J. Kronzucker, “A comparative kinetic analysis of nitrate and ammonium influx in two early-successional tree species of temperate and boreal forest ecosystems,” Plant, Cell and Environment, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 321–328, 2000.