- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Forestry Research
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 106474, 11 pages
A Spatial Index for Identifying Opportunity Zones for Woody Cellulosic Conversion Facilities
1Center for Renewable Carbon, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN 37996-4570, USA
2USDA Forest Service, Southern Research Station, 2506 Jacob Drive, Knoxville, TN 37996-4570, USA
Received 10 July 2012; Revised 26 September 2012; Accepted 10 October 2012
Academic Editor: John Stanturf
Copyright © 2012 Xia Huang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Energy Information Administration, “International energy outlook, 2008,” Report DOE/EIA-0484(2008), http://www.tulane.edu/~bfleury/envirobio/readings/International%20Energy%20Outlook%2008.pdf.
- O. J. Blanchard and J. Gali, “The macroeconomic effects of oil price shocks: why are the 2000s so different from the 1970s?” in Proceedings of NBER ME Conference on International Dimensions of Monetary Policy, Catalonia, Spain, 2007, http://www.crei.cat/people/gali/pdf_files/bgoil07wp.pdf.
- A. Elbehri, The Changing Face of the U.S. Grain System, Economic Research Service. U.S., Department of Agriculture, Washington, DC, USA, 2007.
- T. M. Young and D. M. Ostermeier, “IFCHIPSS—the industrial fuel chip supply simulation model,” Final Report for Contract with Southeastern Regional Biomass Energy Program as administered by the Tennessee Valley Authority, 1989.
- T. M. Young and D. M. Ostermeier, “The economic availability of woody biomass for the southeastern United States,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 7–15, 1991.
- T. M. Young, D. M. Ostermeier, J. D. Thomas, and R. T. Brooks Jr., “Computer model simulates supply, cost of chips,” Forest Industries, vol. 118, no. 8, pp. 20–21, 1991.
- A. Lunnan, “Agriculture-based biomass energy supply—a survey of economic issues,” Energy Policy, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 573–582, 1997.
- M. E. Walsh, “U.S. Bioenergy crop economic analyses: status and needs,” Biomass and Bioenergy, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 341–350, 1998.
- M. E. Walsh, “Method to estimate bioenergy crop feedstock supply curves,” Biomass and Bioenergy, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 283–289, 2000.
- J. DiPardo, “Outlook for biomass ethanol production and demand,” U.S. Energy Information Administration, 2000, http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/analysispaper/pdf/biomass.pdf.
- D. G. de la Torre Ugarte and D. E. Ray, “Biomass and bioenergy applications of the POLYSYS modeling framework,” Biomass and Bioenergy, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 291–308, 2000.
- D. G. de la Torre Ugarte, B. C. English, R. J. Menard, and M. Walsh, “Conditions that influence the economic viability of ethanol from corn stover in the Midwest of the USA,” International Sugar Journal, vol. 108, no. 1287, pp. 152–156, 2006.
- D. G. de la Torre Ugarte, B. C. English, and K. Jensen, “Sixty billion gallons by 2030: economic and agricultural impacts of ethanol and biodiesel expansion,” American Journal of Agricultural Economics, vol. 89, no. 5, pp. 1290–1295, 2007.
- Biomass Research and Development Board, “Increasing feedstock production for biofuels economic drivers, environmental implications, and the role of research,” 2008, http://www.usbiomassboard.gov/pdfs/increasing_feedstock_revised.pdf.
- Western Governor's Association, “Strategic assessment of bioenergy development in the West—spatial analysis and supply curve development,” University of California, Davis, Calif, USA, 2008, http://www.treesearch.fs.fed.us/pubs/34631.
- G. Perez-Verdin, D. L. Grebner, C. Sun, I. A. Munn, E. B. Schultz, and T. G. Matney, “Woody biomass availability for bioethanol conversion in Mississippi,” Biomass and Bioenergy, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 492–503, 2009.
- C. S. Galik, R. Abt, and Y. Wu, “Forest biomass supply in the southeastern United States—implications for industrial roundwood and bioenergy production,” Journal of Forestry, vol. 107, no. 2, pp. 69–77, 2009.
- U.S. Department of Energy, R. D. Perlack, and B. J. Stokes, “U.S. billion-ton update, biomass supply for a bioenergy and bioproducts industry,” ORNL/TM-2011/224, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, Tenn, USA, 2011.
- R. D. Perlack, L. L. Wright, A. F. Turhollow, R. L. Graham, B. J. Stokes, and D. C. Erbach, “2005Biomass as feedstock for a bioenergy and bioproducts industry: the technical feasibility of a billion-ton annual supply,” Publication DOE/GO-102995-2135/ORNL TM-2005/66, OAR Ridge National Laboratory, OAR Ridge, Tenn, USA, http://feedstockreview.ornl.gov/pdf/billion_ton_vision.pdf.
- U.S. Census Bureau, “2010 Census ZIP code tabulation areas [data file],” 2010, http://www.census.gov/geo/ZCTA/zcta.html.
- U.S. Forest Service, “Lands in public preserves [data file],” Personal contact on 08/2011, 2009.
- U.S. National Land Cover Database, “Multi-resolution land characteristics consortium [Data file],” 2006, http://www.mrlc.gov/nlcd2006.php.
- U.S. National Elevation Dataset, “National elevation dataset 1 arc second [data file],” 2010, http://seamless.usgs.gov/ned1.php.
- U.S. Department of Agriculture National Agricultural Statistics Service, “Census of agriculture: farm net income [data file],” 2007, http://quickstats.nass.usda.gov.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, “Ecoregions of the United States [data file],” 2011, http://www.epa.gov/wed/pages/ecoregions/level_iii_iv.htm.
- J. H. Perdue, T. M. Young, and T. G. Rials, “The biomass site assessment model—BioSAT,” Final Report For U.S. Forest Service, Southern Research Station, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tenn, USA, 2011.
- B. J. Butler, Z. Ma, D. B. Kittredge, and P. Catanzaro, “Social versus biophysical availability of wood in the Northern United States,” Northern Journal of Applied Forestry, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 151–159, 2010.
- D. N. Wear, R. Liu, J. M. Foreman, and R. M. Sheffield, “The effects of population growth on timber management and inventories in Virginia,” Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 118, no. 1–3, pp. 107–115, 1999.
- C. J. Chu, F. T. Maestre, S. Xiao et al., “Balance between facilitation and resource competition determines biomass-density relationships in plant populations,” Ecology Letters, vol. 11, no. 11, pp. 1189–1197, 2008.
- J. Weiner, P. Stoll, H. Muller-Landau, and A. Jasentuliyana, “The effects of density, spatial pattern, and competitive symmetry on size variation in simulated plant populations,” American Naturalist, vol. 158, no. 4, pp. 438–450, 2001.
- J. Weiner and C. Damgaard, “Size-asymmetric competition and size-asymmetric growth in a spatially explicit zone-of-influence model of plant competition,” Ecological Research, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 707–712, 2006.
- M. Kimsey, D. Page-Dumroese, and M. Coleman, “Assessing bioenergy harvesting risks: geospatially explicit tools for maintaining soil productivity in Western US forests,” Forests, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 797–813, 2011.
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), “Definitions of forests [definition],” 2000, http://www.fao.org/DOCREP/005/Y4171E/Y4171E10.htm.
- United Nations Framework for Climate Change Convention (UNFCCC), “Definitions of forests [definition],” 2001, http://www.fao.org/DOCREP/005/Y4171E/Y4171E10.htm.
- F. R. Greulich, D. P. Hanley, J. F. McNeel, and D. Baumgartner, A Primer for Timber Harvesting, Washington State University Extension, Pullman, Wash, USA, 1999, http://faculty.washington.edu/greulich/Documents/eb1316.pdf.
- U.S. Census Bureau, “The urban and rural classifications,” Chapter 12, 2010, http://www.census.gov/geo/www/GARM/Ch12GARM.pdf.
- R. I. McDonald, G. Motzkin, M. S. Bank, D. B. Kittredge, J. Burk, and D. R. Foster, “Forest harvesting and land-use conversion over two decades in Massachusetts,” Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 227, no. 1-2, pp. 31–41, 2006.
- The World Bank, “Transports: roads & highways [definition],” 2011, http://www.worldbank.org/html/extdr/thematic.htm.
- B. J. Butler and S. L. King, “Assessment and mapping of forest parcel sizes,” in Proceedings of the 5th Annual Forest Inventory and Analysis Symposium, New Orleans, La, USA, 2003, http://www.treesearch.fs.fed.us/pubs/14259.