- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Forestry Research
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 523025, 8 pages
Quality of Wood and Charcoal from Eucalyptus Clones for Ironmaster Use
Department of Forest Engineering, Federal University of Viçosa, 36570000 Viçosa, MG, Brazil
Received 7 June 2012; Revised 10 September 2012; Accepted 21 September 2012
Academic Editor: Eric D. Vance
Copyright © 2012 Bárbara Luísa Corradi Pereira et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Brazilian Association of Planted Forests Producers—ABRAF, “Statistical Yearbook of ABRAF: base year 2011,” Brasília, Brazil, 2012.
- R. C. Santos, A. C. O. Carneiro, P. F. Trugilho, L. M. Mendes, and A. M. M. L. Carvalho, “Thermogravimetric analysis of eucalyptus clones as a subside for charcoal production,” Cerne, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 143–151, 2012.
- M. C. G. Botrel, P. F. Trugilho, S. C. D. S. Rosado, and J. R. M. Da Silva, “Genetic improvement of Eucalyptus charcoal properties,” Revista Arvore, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 391–398, 2007.
- M. C. G. Botrel, P. F. Trugilho, S. C. Da Silva Rosado, and J. R. M. Da Silva, “Selection of Eucalyptus clones for forest biomass and wood quality,” Forest Sciences, no. 86, pp. 237–245, 2010.
- R. C. D. Santos, A. D. C. O. Carneiro, A. F. M. Castro et al., “Correlation of quality parameters of wood and charcoal of clones of eucalyptus,” Forest Sciences, no. 90, pp. 221–230, 2011.
- E. Oliveira, “Correlations between quality parameters of Eucalyptus grandis (Whill ex-Maiden)wood and charcoal,” Technical Bulletin SIF 2, 1990.
- TAPPI—Technical Association of the Pulp and Paper Industry, “TAPPI test methods T 257 cm-85: sampling and preparing wood for analysis,” in TAPPI Standard Method, Cd-Rom, Atlanta, Ga, USA, 2001.
- American Society for Testing and Materials. ASTM, “Standard methods of evaluating properties of wood-base fiber and particles materials,” Philladelphia, Pa, USA, 1982.
- Brazilian Association of Technical Standards. ABNT, “NBR 11941: Wood: Determination of the basic density,” Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 2003.
- Brazilian Association of Technical Standards. ABNT, “NBR 8633: Charcoal: determination of the calorific value,” Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 1984.
- TAPPI-Technical Association of the Pulp and Paper Industry, “TAPPI test methods T 204 om-88: solvent extractives of wood and pulp,” in TAPPI Standard Method, Cd-Rom, Atlanta, Ga, USA, 2001.
- J. L. Gomide and B. J. Demuner, “Determination of lignin in woody material: modified Klason method,” O Papel, vol. 47, no. 8, pp. 36–38, 1986.
- O. Goldschimid, “Ultraviolet spectra,” in Lignins, K. V. Sarkanen and C. H. Ludwing, Eds., pp. 241–266, Wiley Interscience, New York, NY, USA, 1971.
- P. F. Trugilho, J. T. Lima, F. A. Mori, and A. L. Lino, “Evaluation of Eucalyptus clones for charcoal production,” Cerne, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 104–114, 2001.
- P. F. Trugilho, J. R. M. Silva, F. A. Mori, J. T. Lima, L. M. Mendes, and L. F. B. Mendes, “Yield and charcoal characteristics in relation of radial sampling position in Eucalyptus clones,” Cerne, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 178–186, 2005.
- T. A. Neves, T. P. Protássio, A. M. Couto, P. F. Trugilho, V. O. Silva, and C. M. M. Vieira, “Evaluation of Eucalyptus clones in different places seeking to the production of vegetal charcoal,” Brazilian Journal of Foresty Research, vol. 31, no. 68, pp. 319–330, 2011.
- Brazilian Association of Technical Standards. ABNT, “NBR 8112: Charcoal—immediate analysis—test method,” Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 1986.
- A. C. Oliveira, A. C. O. De Carneiro, B. R. Vital, W. Almeida, B. L. C. Pereira, and M. T. Cardoso, “Quality parameters of Eucalyptus pellita F. Muell. Wood and charcoal,” Forest Sciences, no. 87, pp. 431–439, 2010.
- P. McKendry, “Energy production from biomass—part 1: overview of biomass,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 83, no. 1, pp. 37–46, 2002.
- L. M. Burger and H. G. Richter, Wood Anatomy, Nobel, São Paulo, Brazil, 1991.
- R. M. Rowell, R. Pettersen, J. S. Han, J. S. Rowell, and M. A. Tshabalala, “Cell wall chemistry,” in Handbook of Wood Chemistry and Wood Composites, R. M. Rowell, Ed., pp. 121–138, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2005.
- H. Yang, R. Yan, H. Chen, D. H. Lee, and C. Zheng, “Characteristics of hemicellulose, cellulose and lignin pyrolysis,” Fuel, vol. 86, no. 12-13, pp. 1781–1788, 2007.
- D. K. Shen, S. Gu, and A. V. Bridgwater, “The thermal performance of the polysaccharides extracted from hardwood: cellulose and hemicellulose,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 39–45, 2010.
- M. D. C. Arantes, P. F. Trugilho, J. T. Lima, A. C. O. Carneiro, E. Alves, and M. C. Guerreiro, “Longitudinal and radial variation of extractives and total lignin contents in a clone of Eucalyptus grandis W.Hill ex Maiden x Eucalyptus urophylla S. T. Blake,” Cerne, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 283–291, 2011.
- L. C. De Almeida Barbosa, C. R. A. Maltha, and M. P. Cruz, “Chemical composition of lipophilic and polar extractives of Eucalyptus grandis,” Science and Engineering Journal, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 13–19, 2005.
- R. M. Rowell and S. Levan-Green, “Thermal properties,” in Hand Book of Wood Chemistry and Wood Composites, R. M. Rowell, Ed., pp. 121–138, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2005.
- V. C. Soares, Thermal, chemical and physical behavior of wood and charcoal from Eucalyptus grandisx Eucalyptus urophyllaat different ages [Doctorate in Wood Technology], Federal University of Lavras, Lavras, Brazil, 2011.
- G. Tsoumis, Science and Technology of Wood: Structure, Properties, Utilization, Van Nostrand Reinold, New York, NY, USA, 1991.
- M. A. S. Santos, “Quality parameters of charcoal for use in blast furnaces,” in Proceedings of the National Forum on Charcoal, vol. 1, UFMG, Belo Horizonte, Brazil, 2008.