- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Forestry Research
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 547120, 12 pages
Changes of Species Richness in Heathland Communities over 15 Years following Disturbances
Area of Ecology, Faculty of Biological and Environmental Sciences, University of León, 24071 León, Spain
Received 13 October 2011; Revised 16 December 2011; Accepted 16 December 2011
Academic Editor: Piermaria Corona
Copyright © 2012 L. Calvo et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. Olff and M. A. Ritchie, “Effects of herbivores on grassland plant diversity,” Trends in Ecology and Evolution, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 262–265, 1998.
- F. Ojeda, J. Arroyo, and T. Marañón, “Biodiversity components and conservation of Mediterranean heathlands in southern Spain,” Biological Conservation, vol. 72, no. 1, pp. 61–72, 1995.
- J. E. Keeley and C. J. Fotheringham, “Species-area relationships in Mediterranean-climate plant communities,” Journal of Biogeography, vol. 30, no. 11, pp. 1629–1657, 2003.
- C. L. Alados, A. Elaich, V. P. Papanastasis et al., “Change in plant spatial patterns and diversity along the successional gradient of Mediterranean grazing ecosystems,” Ecological Modelling, vol. 180, no. 4, pp. 523–535, 2004.
- J. Blondel and J. Aronson, Biology and Wildlife of the Mediterranean Region, Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK, 1999.
- F. de Bello, J. Leps, and M. T. Sebastia, “Grazing effects on the species-area relationship: variation along a climatic gradient in NE Spain,” Journal of Vegetation Science, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 25–34, 2007.
- A. T. Grove and O. Rackham, The Nature of Mediterranean Europe. An Ecological History, Yale University, New Haven, Connm, USA, 2001.
- J. Pausas, “Mediterranean vegetation dynamics: modelling problems and functional types,” Plant Ecology, vol. 140, no. 1, pp. 27–39, 1999.
- L. Trabaud, “Man and fire: impacts on Mediterranean vegetation,” in Ecosystems of the World 11: Mediterranean-Type Shrublands, F. di Castri, D. W. Goodall, and R. L. Specht, Eds., pp. 523–537, Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1981.
- L. Calvo, L. Baeza, E. Marcos, V. Santana, and V. Papanastasis, “Post-fire management of mediterranean shrublands,” in Post-Fire Management and Restauration of Southern European Forest, F. Moreira, M. Arianoutsou, P. M. Corona, and J. de las Heras, Eds., Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2012.
- Ministerio de Medio Ambiente, Segundo Inventario Forestal Nacional, Dirección General de Conservación de la Naturaleza, Madrid, Spain, 1986–1996.
- Ministerio de Medio Ambiente, Tercer Inventario Forestal Nacional, Dirección General de Conservación de la Naturaleza, Madrid, Spain, 1997–2007.
- A. Moran, Análisis de los cambios espacio—temporales en las unidades de vegetación de la Cordillera Cantábrica (Sector leonés), M.S. thesis, de la Universidad de León, Madrid, Spain, 2007.
- L. Calvo, R. Tárrega, and E. de Luis, “Space-time distribution patterns of Erica australis L. subsp. aragonensis (Willk) after experimental burning, cutting, and ploughing,” Plant Ecology, vol. 137, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 1998.
- L. Calvo, R. Tarrega, E. Luis, et al., “Recovery after experimental cutting and burning in three shrub ecosystems situated in a climatic gradient,” Plant Ecology, vol. 180, pp. 175–185, 2005.
- F. Moreira, F. Rego, and P. Ferreira, “Temporal (1958–1995) pattern of change in a cultural landscape of northwestern Portugal: implications for fire occurrence,” Landscape Ecology, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 557–567, 2001.
- W. W. Wessel, A. Tietema, C. Beier, B. A. Emmett, J. Peñuelas, and T. Riis-Nielsen, “A qualitative ecosystem assessment for different shrublands in western Europe under impact of climate change,” Ecosystems, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 662–671, 2004.
- P. A. Harrison, “Special issue: ecosystem services and biodiversity conservation,” Biodiversity Conservation, vol. 19, no. 10, 2010.
- R. Harrington, C. Anton, T. P. Dawson et al., “Ecosystem services and biodiversity conservation: concepts and a glossary,” Biodiversity and Conservation, vol. 19, no. 10, pp. 2773–2790, 2010.
- L. Calvo, R. Tárrega, and E. Luis, “Secondary succession after perturbations in a shrubland community,” Acta Oecologica, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 393–404, 2002.
- L. Calvo, R. Tárrega, and E. Luis, “Twelve years of vegetation changes after fire in an Erica australis community,” in Fire Management and landscape Ecology, L. Trabaud , Ed., pp. 123–136, International Association of Wildland Fire, Fairfield, Washington, USA, 1998.
- W. J. Bond and B. W. van Wilgen, Fire and Plants, Chapman & Hall, London, UK, 1996.
- J. E. Keeley, “Resilience of mediterranean shrub communities to fires,” in Resilience in Mediterranean-Type Ecosystems, B. Dell, A. J. M. Hopkins, and B. B. Lamont, Eds., pp. 95–112, W. Junk Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, 1986.
- F. Lloret and M. Vilà, “Clearing of vegetation in Mediterranean garrigue: response after a wildfire,” Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 93, no. 3, pp. 227–234, 1997.
- T. Navarro, C. L. Alados, and B. Cabezudo, “Changes in plant functional types in response to goat and sheep grazing in two semi-arid shrublands of SE Spain,” Journal of Arid Environments, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 298–322, 2006.
- K. J. Elliott, L. R. Boring, W. T. Swank, and B. R. Haines, “Successional changes in plant species diversity and composition after clearcutting a Southern Appalachian watershed,” Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 92, no. 1–3, pp. 67–85, 1997.
- J. M. de Miguel, L. Ramírez-Sanz, I. Castro, M. Costa-Tenorio, M. A. Casado, and F. D. Pineda, “Plant species richness and spatial organization at different small scales in western Mediterranean landscapes,” Plant Ecology, vol. 176, no. 2, pp. 185–194, 2005.
- Junta de Castilla y León, Mapa de suelos de Castilla y León, Junta de Castilla y León, Madrid, Spain, 1987.
- Ministerio de Agricultura, Caracterización Agroclimática de la Provincia de León, Dirección General de la Producción Agraria, Madrid, Spain, 1980.
- A. E. Magurran, Measuring Biological Diversity, Blackwell Publishing, Oxford, Uk, 2004.
- R. H. Whittaker, “Evolution and measurement of species diversity,” Taxon, vol. 21, pp. 213–251, 1972.
- C. J. F. Ter Braak, “A FORTRAN program for canonical community ordination by/partial/detrended/canonical/correspondence analysis, principal components analysis and redundancy analysis,” Tech. Rep. CANOCO (Version 3.12), TNO, Wageningen, The Netherlands, 1991.
- E. van der Maarel, “Vegetation dynamics: patterns in time and space,” Vegetatio, vol. 77, no. 1–3, pp. 7–19, 1993.
- A. Cruz and J. M. Moreno, “Seasonal course of total non-structural carbohydrates in the lignotuberous Mediterranean-type shrub Erica australis,” Oecologia, vol. 128, no. 3, pp. 343–350, 2001.
- L. Calvo, R. Tárrega, and E. Luis, “Regeneration patterns in a Calluna vulgaris heathland in the Cantabrian mountains (NW Spain): effects of burning, cutting and ploughing,” Acta Oecologica, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 81–90, 2002.
- B. Clément and J. Touffet, “Vegetation dynamics in Brittany heathlands after fire,” Vegetatio, vol. 46-47, no. 1, pp. 157–166, 1981.
- R. M. Cowling, P. W. Rundel, B. B. Lamont, M. K. Arroyo, and M. Arianoutsou, “Plant diversity in mediterranean-climate regions,” Trends in Ecology and Evolution, vol. 11, no. 9, pp. 362–366, 1996.
- L. F. de Bano and C. E. Conrad, “The effect of fire on nutrients in a chaparral ecosystem,” Ecology, vol. 59, pp. 489–497, 1978.
- N. K. Suding, “The effects of gap creation on competitive interactions: separating changes in overall intensity from relative rankings,” Oikos, vol. 94, no. 2, pp. 219–227, 2001.
- M. D. Díaz-Villa, T. Marañón, J. Arroyo, and B. Garrido, “Soil seed bank and floristic diversity in a forest-grassland mosaic in southern Spain,” Journal of Vegetation Science, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 701–709, 2003.
- M. Zobel, “The relative role of species pools in determining plant species richness: an alternative explanation of species coexistence?” Trends in Ecology and Evolution, vol. 12, no. 7, pp. 266–269, 1997.
- F. Gonzalez-Rabanal and M. Casal, “Effect of high temperatures and ash on germination of ten species from gorse shrubland,” Vegetatio, vol. 116, no. 2, pp. 123–131, 1995.
- L. Valbuena, R. Tárrega, and E. Luis-Calabuig, “Seed banks of Erica australis and Calluna vulgaris in a heathland subjected to experimental fire,” Journal of Vegetation Science, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 161–166, 2000.
- N. R. Webb, “The traditional management of European heathlands,” Journal of Applied Ecology, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 987–990, 1998.
- R. Aerts, “Competition between dominant plant species in heathlands,” in Heathlands: Patterns and Processes in a Changing Environment, R. Aerts and G. W. Heil, Eds., pp. 125–151, Kluwer Academic, Dodrecht, The Netherlands, 1993.
- M. Bruggink, “Seed bank, germination and establishment of ericaeous and gramineous species in heathlands,” in Heathlands: Patterns and Processes in a Changing Environment, R. Aerts and G. W. Heil, Eds., pp. 153–180, Kluwer Academic, Dodrecht, The Netherlands, 1993.
- F. Ojeda, T. Marañón, and J. Arroyo, “Plant diversity patterns in the Aljibe Mountains (S. Spain): a comprehensive account,” Biodiversity and Conservation, vol. 9, no. 9, pp. 1323–1343, 2000.
- O. W. Archibold, Ecology of World Vegetation, Chapman & Hall, London, UK, 1995.
- W. J. Beese and A. Bryant, “Effect of alternative silvicultural systems on vegetation and bird communities in coastal montane forests of British Columbia, Canada,” Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 115, no. 2-3, pp. 231–242, 1999.
- G. Decocq, M. Aubert, F. Dupont et al., “Plant diversity in a managed temperate deciduous forest: understorey response to two silvicultural systems,” Journal of Applied Ecology, vol. 41, no. 6, pp. 1065–1079, 2004.
- S. C. Keeley, J. E. Keeley, S. M. Hutchinson, and A. W. Johnson, “Postfire succession of the herbaceous flora in southern California chaparral,” Ecology, vol. 62, no. 6, pp. 1608–1621, 1981.
- P. H. Zedler, “Fire frequency in southern California shrublands: biological effects and management options,” in Wildfires in California Brushlands: Ecology and Resource Management, J. E. Keeley and T. Scott, Eds., pp. 101–112, International Association of Wildland Fire, Fairfield, Washington, USA, 1995.
- M. A. Huston, “A general hypothesis of species diversity,” American Naturalist, vol. 113, pp. 81–101, 1979.
- M. A. Huston, Biological Diversity. The Coexistence of Species on Changing Landscapes, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 1994.