- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Forestry Research
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 768946, 8 pages
On-Farm Management of Vitellaria paradoxa C. F. Gaertn. in Amuria District, Eastern Uganda
College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, Makerere University, P.O. Box 7062, Kampala, Uganda
Received 31 October 2011; Accepted 14 December 2011
Academic Editor: Timo Pukkala
Copyright © 2012 Paul Okiror et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. B. L. Okullo, J. B. Hall, and J. Obua, “Leafing, flowering and fruiting of Vitellaria paradoxa subsp. nilotica in savanna parklands in Uganda,” Agroforestry Systems, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 77–91, 2004.
- P. Byakagaba, G. Eilu, J. B. L. Okullo, S. B. Tumwebaze, and E. N Mwavu, “Population structure and regeneration status of Vitellaria paradoxa (C.F.Gaertn.) under different land management regimes in Uganda,” Agricultural Journal, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 14–22, 2011.
- Z. Teklehaimanot, “Exploiting the potential of indigenous agroforestry trees: Parkia biglobosa and Vitellaria paradoxa in sub-Saharan Africa,” Agroforestry Systems, vol. 61-62, no. 1–3, pp. 207–220, 2004.
- N. Lamien, M. Tigabu, S. Guinko, and P. C. Oden, “Variations in dendrometric and fruiting characters of Vitellaria paradoxa populations and multivariate models for estimation of fruit yield,” Agroforestry Systems, vol. 69, no. 1, pp. 1–11, 2007.
- P. N. Lovett and N. Haq, “Diversity of the Sheanut tree (Vitellaria paradoxa C.F. Gaertn.) in Ghana,” Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 293–304, 2000.
- K. P. C. Rao, L. V. Verchot, and J. Laarman, “Adaptation to climate change through sustainable management and development of agroforestry systems,” SAT eJournal, vol. 4, no. 1, 2007.
- J. M. Boffa, Agroforestry Parklands in Sub-Saharan Africa, FAO Conservation Guide, 34, FAO, Rome, Italy, 1999.
- D. O. Ezema and K. O. Ogujiofor, “The evaluation of Butyrospermum paradoxum as a suppository base,” International Journal of Pharmacognosy, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 275–280, 1992.
- J. B. Hall, D. P. Aebischer, H. F. Tomlinson, E. Osei-Amaning, and J. R. Hindle, Vitellaria paradoxa: A Monograph, School of Agricultural and Forest Sciences, University of Wales, Bangor, UK, 1996.
- B. A. Kelly, O. J. Hardy, and J. M. Bouvet, “Temporal and spatial genetic structure in Vitellaria paradoxa (shea tree) in an agroforestry system in southern Mali,” Molecular Ecology, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 1231–1240, 2004.
- J. B. L. Okullo and G. Waithum, “Diversity and conservation of on-farm woody plants by field types in Paromo Subcounty, Nebbi District, north-western Uganda,” African Journal of Ecology, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 59–66, 2007.
- C. A. Okia, J. Obua, and E. Agaro, “Natural regeneration, population structure and traditional management of Vitellaria paradoxa in the shea parklands of northern and eastern Uganda,” in Proceedings of the African Crop Science Conference, vol. 7, pp. 1187–1191, 2005.
- UCC, “Amuria District Profile,” Kampala, Uganda, 2007, http://www.amuria.go.ug.
- J. R. S. Tabuti, T. Ticktin, M. Z. Arinaitwe, and V. B. Muwanika, “Community attitudes and preferences towards woody species: Implications for conservation in Nawaikoke, Uganda,” ORYX, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 393–402, 2009.
- J. B. L. Okullo, J. Obua, J. S. R. Kaboggoza, and R. W. Aluma, “Traditional agroforestry systems, tree uses and management in northern Uganda,” Uganda Journal of Agricultural Sciences, vol. 8, pp. 5–10, 2003.
- E. G. C. Barrow, The Drylands of Africa: Local Participation in Tree Management, Initiative Publishers, Nairobi, Kenya.
- FAO, Trees Outside Forests: Towards Better Awareness, FAO, Rome, Italy, 2002.
- D. Parker, E. R. Downer, and G. E. D. Cole, Atlas of Uganda, Department of Lands and Surveys, Government Printer, Entebbe, Uganda, 2nd edition, 1967.
- UDIH, Uganda Districts Information Handbook, Fountain Publishers, Kampala, Uganda, 2005.
- UBOS, National Population and Housing Census—2002 Preliminary Summary Tables, Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS), 2003.
- J. G. Agea, J. Obua, S. Namirembe, and M. Buyinza, “Ecology and conservation of Acacia senegal in the rangelands of Luwero and Nakasongola districts,” Uganda Journal of Agricultural Sciences, vol. 11, pp. 40–46, 2005.
- M. Norusis, SPSS 12.0 Guide to Data Analysis, Prentice Hall, 2004.
- W. H. Green, LIMDEP User’s Manual, Version 7.0, Econometric Software, Inc., Plain view, NY, USA, 1995.
- SPSS, “Statistical Package for Social Scientist, Windows Release 6.1.4 (1989–1995),” 1995.
- S. Mujabi-Mujuzi, J. Obua, and S. Adelaida, “Socio-economic importance, structure and indigenous management of woody perennials in the home gardens of Impigi District, Uganda,” Uganda Journal of Agricultural Sciences, vol. 7, pp. 57–66, 2002.
- K. Schreckenberg, “Products of a managed landscape: Non-timber forest products in the parklands of the Bassila region, Benin,” Global Ecology and Biogeography, vol. 8, no. 3-4, pp. 279–289, 1999.
- J. Sekatuba, J. Kugonza, D. Wafula, W. Wusukwe, and J. Okorio, “Indentification of indigenous tree and shrub fodder species in the Lake Victoria shore region of Uganda,” Uganda Journal of Agricultural Sciences, vol. 9, pp. 372–378, 2004.
- J. M. Boffa, Productivity and management of agroforestry parklands in the Sudan zone of Burkina Faso, West Africa, Ph.D. thesis, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Ind, USA, 1995.
- J. Sheail, J. R. Treweek, and J. O. Mountford, “The UK transition from nature preservation to “creative conservation”,” Environmental Conservation, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 224–235, 1997.
- J. C. Okafor, “Domestication and Conservation of Indigenous Fruit Trees in Africa,” in Proceedings of the Workshop on Utilization and Exploitation of Indigenous and Often Neglected Plants and Fruits of Eastern and Southern Africa, Zambia, Malawi, 1988.
- A. Lwakuba, A. A. Kaudia, J. Okorio, J. F. Esegu, and I. Oluka-Akileng, “Agroforestry handbook for the montane zone of Uganda,” in RELMA Technical Handbook No. 31, p. 120, Regional Land Management Unit (RELMA), Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida), Nairobi, Kenya, 2003.
- R. A. Godoy and K. S. Bawa, “The economic value and sustainable harvest of plants and animals from the tropical forest: assumptions, hypotheses, and methods,” Economic Botany, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 215–219, 1993.
- G. J. Barrow, Land Degradation, Cambridge University Press, Great Britain, UK, 2002.
- NEMA, State of the Environment Report for Uganda, National Environment Management Authority, Ministry of Water Lands and Environment, Kampala, Uganda, 2001.
- G. Eilu, J. Obua, J. K. Tumuhairwe, and C. Nkwine, “Traditional farming and plant species diversity in agricultural landscapes of south-western Uganda,” Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, vol. 99, no. 1–3, pp. 125–134, 2003.
- S. Leach and R. Means, Beyond the Woodfuel Crisis. People, Trees and Land in Africa, Earthscan, London, UK, 1988.
- J. O. Oloka, “Decentralization without human rights?” Tech. Rep. 12, HUPRIC, June 2007.
- A. Chevalier, “Nouvelles recherches sur l'arbre a beurre du Soudan, Butyrospermum parkii,” Revue Internationale de Botanique Appliquée et d'Agriculture Tropicale, vol. 28, pp. 241–256, 1948.
- I. Langdale-Brown, H. A. Osmaston, and J. G. Wilson, The Vegetation of Uganda and its Bearing on Land Use, Government Printer, Entebbe, Uganda, 1964.
- F. Bourliere, Ecosystems of the World: Tropical Savannas, Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1992.
- B. O. Tegnas, Agroforestry Extension Mannual for Kenya, ICRAF, Nairobi, Kenya, 1994.
- D. Louppe and Q. N’Kklo, “Influence of Shea trees on agricultural production in the northern CÔTE D’IVOIRE,” in Proceedings of the 11th World Forestry Congress, Antalya, Turkey, October 1997.
- D. Nkutu, Indigenous tree management in the Butyrospermum parklands of northern Uganda with reference to shea nut, BSc. Project, Faculty of Forestry and Nature Conservation, Makerere University, Kampala, Uganda, 2000.
- H. P. Andersen, “Local resource utilization in rural Uganda: a study of land use intensification and landscape ecological changes in Budondo Sub-County,” in Ressurs-og Miljogeografi nr. 6, Geografisk institute, Universitet of Oslo, Oslo, Norway, 1994.
- M. A. Leach, Images of propriety: the reciprocal constitution of gender and resource use in the life of a Sierra Leonean forest village, Ph.D. thesis, School of Oriental and African Studies, London, UK, 1990.
- D. F. Barnes, K. Openshaw, K. R. Smith, and R. Van Der Plas, “What makes people cook with improved biomass stoves? A comparative international review of stove programs,” World Bank Technical Paper, vol. 242, 1994.