- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Food Science
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 215305, 6 pages
Effect of Cholesterol Removal Processing Using β-Cyclodextrin on Main Components of Milk
1Food Processing Department, Research Institute of Food Science and Technology (RIFST), Km. 12 Asian Road, Mashhad, Iran
2TESTA Quality Control Laboratory, North-East Food Technology and Biotechnology Zone, Km. 12 Asian Road, Mashhad, Iran
Received 6 March 2013; Revised 31 May 2013; Accepted 2 June 2013
Academic Editor: Philip Cox
Copyright © 2013 A. M. Maskooki et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- WHO, “Cardiovascular disease: prevention and control,” Worldwide Missions Statistics, 2010, http://www.who.org/.
- World Health Organization (WHO) World Health Statistics, “Global health indicator tables and footnotes part 2,” 2010, http://www.who.int/whosis/whostat/2010/en/.
- M. Careri, L. Elviri, and A. Mangia, “Liquid chromatography—UV determination and liquid chromatography—atmospheric pressure chemical ionization mass spectrometric characterization of sitosterol and stigmasterol in soybean oil,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 935, no. 1-2, pp. 249–257, 2001.
- S. Snider and A. Wehrman, “Cholesterol, Food and Nutrition Specialist,” 1997, http://ag.udel.edu/extension/fnutri/pdf/Nutrition/fnf-18.pdf.
- B. Nataf, O. Milckelson, A. L. Keys, and W. E. Peterson, “The cholesterol content of cows’ milk,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 3, pp. 13–18, 2009.
- W. Denis and A. S. Minot, “Constituents of milk non protein nitrogen,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 37, pp. 353–366, 1919.
- M. I. Gurr, “Dietary lipids and coronary disease: old evidence, new perspectives and progress,” Lipid Research, vol. 31, pp. 195–243, 1992.
- R. Bradely and L. Jir, “Removal of cholesterol from milk fat using supercritical carbon dioxide,” Journal Dairy Science, vol. 72, pp. 2834–2840, 1989.
- R. J. Bobby and A. C. Joseph Jr., “Production of low cholesterol milk by organic solvent extraction,” US patent. 4,997,668, 1991.
- T. Richardson, D. Calif, R. Jimenez, and F. Champaign, “Process to remove cholesterol from dairy products,” US Patent No: 5,326,579, 1994.
- I. C. Munro, P. M. Newberne, V. R. Young, and A. Bär, “Safety assessment of γ-cyclodextrin,” Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology, vol. 39, pp. S3–S13, 2004.
- G. Astray, C. Gonzalez-Barreiro, J. C. Mejuto, R. Rial-Otero, and J. Simal-Gándara, “A review on the use of cyclodextrins in foods,” Food Hydrocolloids, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 1631–1640, 2009.
- E. M. M. Del Valle, “Cyclodextrins and their uses: a review,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 39, no. 9, pp. 1033–1046, 2004.
- A. R. Hedges, “Industrial applications of cyclodextrins,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 98, no. 5, pp. 2035–2044, 1998.
- S.-H. Chiu, T.-W. Chung, R. Giridhar, and W.-T. Wu, “Immobilization of β-cyclodextrin in chitosan beads for separation of cholesterol from egg yolk,” Food Research International, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 217–223, 2004.
- J. Graille, D. Pioch, M. Serpelloni, and L. Mentink, “Process for preparing dairy products with a low content of sterols, particularly of cholesterol,” US. Patent. 5,264,226, 1993.
- D. K. Lee, J. Ahn, and H. S. Kwak, “Cholesterol removal from homogenized milk with β-cyclodextrin,” Journal of Dairy Science, vol. 82, no. 11, pp. 2327–2330, 1999.
- H. S. Kwak, S. H. Kim, J. H. Kim, H. J. Choi, and J. Kang, “Immobilized β-cyclodextrin as a simple and recyclable method for cholesterol removal in milk,” Archives of Pharmacal Research, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 873–877, 2004.
- J. Ahn and H. S. Kwak, “Optimizing cholesterol removal in cream using β-cyclodextrin and response surface methodology,” Journal of Food Science, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 629–632, 1999.
- S. H. Kim, J. Ahn, and H. S. Kwak, “Crosslinking of beta-cyclodextrin on cholesterol removal from milk,” Archives of Pharmacal Research, vol. 27, no. 11, pp. 1183–1187, 2004.
- S.-H. Kim, E.-M. Han, J. Ahn, and H.-S. Kwak, “Effect of crosslinked β-cyclodextrin on quality of cholesterol-reduced cream cheese,” Asian-Australasian Journal of Animal Sciences, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 584–589, 2005.
- S. H. Kim, H. Y. Kim, and H. S. Kwak, “Cholesterol removal from lard with cross-linked β-cyclodextrin,” Asian-Australasian Journal of Animal Sciences, vol. 20, no. 9, pp. 1468–1472, 2007.
- H. S. Kwak, S. H. Kim, and J. Kang, “Methods for cross linking betacyclodextrin for the cholesterol trapping and regeneration there of,” US Patent No: 2007/0093447, 2007.
- H. M. A. M. Dias, F. Berbicz, F. Pedrochi, M. L. Baesso, and G. Matioli, “Butter cholesterol removal using different complexation methods with beta-cyclodextrin, and the contribution of photoacoustic spectroscopy to the evaluation of the complex,” Food Research International, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 1104–1110, 2010.
- H. J. Ha, J. E. Lee, Y. H. Chang, and H.-S. Kwak, “Entrapment of nutrients during cholesterol removal from cream by crosslinked β-cyclodextrin,” International Journal of Dairy Technology, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 119–126, 2010.
- L. V. Klatt, “Cholesterol analysis in food by direct saponification—gas chromatographic method: collaborative study,” Journal of AOAC International, vol. 78, pp. 75–79, 1995.
- H. S. Kwak, J. J. Ahn, and D. K. Lee, “Method for removing cholesterol from milk and cream,” US Patent No. 6110517, 2000.
- H. S. Kwak, H. M. Sun, J. Ahn, and H. J. Kwon, “Optimization of β- CD recycling process for cholesterol removal in cream,” Asian-Australasian Journal of Animal Sciences, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 548–552, 2001.
- D. G. Oakenfull and G. S. Sihdu, “Cholesterol reduction,” International Patent 91/11114, 1991.
- G. C. Yen and L. T. Tsui, “Cholesterol removal from a lard mixture with β- CD,” Journal of Food Science, vol. 60, pp. 561–564, 1995.
- H. J. Ha, S. S. Jeon, Y. H. Chang, and H. S. Kwak, “Entrapment of milk nutrients during cholesterol removal from milk by crosslinked β-cyclodextrin,” Korean Journal for Food Science of Animal Resources, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 566–572, 2009.
- H. S. Kwak, C. S. Jung, S. Y. Shim, and J. Ahn, “Removal of cholesterol from cheddar cheese by β-cyclodextrin,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 50, no. 25, pp. 7293–7298, 2002.
- J. Suzuki, “Molecular encapsulation of volatile, easily oxydizable flavour substances by cyclodextrins,” Acta Chimica Academiae Scientiarum Hungaricae, vol. 101, pp. 27–46, 1975.