- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Food Science
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 719593, 13 pages
Effect of Extraction Conditions on the Antioxidant Activity of Olive Wood Extracts
1Departamento de Química Inorgánica y Orgánica, Facultad de Ciencias Experimentales, Universidad de Jaén, Campus de Excelencia Internacional Agroalimentario, ceiA3, 23071 Jaén, Spain
2Laboratory of Organic Chemistry, Natural Products Chemistry Group, Wageningen University, Dreijenplein 8, 6703 HB Wageningen, The Netherlands
Received 12 February 2013; Accepted 28 March 2013
Academic Editor: Philip Cox
Copyright © 2013 Mercedes Pérez-Bonilla et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Moure, J. M. Cruz, D. Franco et al., “Natural antioxidants from residual sources,” Food Chemistry, vol. 72, no. 2, pp. 145–171, 2001.
- F. Visioli and C. Galli, “Olives and their production waste products as sources of bioactive compounds,” Current Topics in Nutraceutical Research, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 85–88, 2003.
- G. Garrote, J. M. Cruz, A. Moure, H. Domínguez, and J. C. Parajó, “Antioxidant activity of byproducts from the hydrolytic processing of selected lignocellulosic materials,” Trends in Food Science and Technology, vol. 15, no. 3-4, pp. 191–200, 2004.
- N. Balasundram, K. Sundram, and S. Samman, “Phenolic compounds in plants and agri-industrial by-products: antioxidant activity, occurrence, and potential uses,” Food Chemistry, vol. 99, no. 1, pp. 191–203, 2006.
- R. Carle, P. Keller, A. Schieber et al., “Method for obtaining useful materials from the by-products of fruit and vegetable processing,” WO Patent 2001078859, 2001.
- J. L. Torres, B. Varela, M. T. García et al., “Valorization of grape (Vitis vinifera) byproducts. Antioxidant and biological properties of polyphenolic fractions differing in procyanidin composition and flavonol content,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 50, no. 26, pp. 7548–7555, 2002.
- W. Peschel, F. Sánchez-Rabaneda, W. Diekmann et al., “An industrial approach in the search of natural antioxidants from vegetable and fruit wastes,” Food Chemistry, vol. 97, no. 1, pp. 137–150, 2006.
- S. Savatovic, G. Cetkovic, J. Canadanovic-Brunet, and S. Djilas, “Tomato waste: a potential source of hydrophilic antioxidants,” International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition, vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 129–137, 2012.
- V. Papadimitriou, G. A. Maridakis, T. G. Sotiroudis, and A. Xenakis, “Antioxidant activity of polar extracts from olive oil and olive mill wastewaters: an EPR and photometric study,” European Journal of Lipid Science and Technology, vol. 107, no. 7-8, pp. 513–520, 2005.
- F. Visioli, A. Romani, N. Mulinacci et al., “Antioxidant and other biological activities of olive mill waste waters,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 47, no. 8, pp. 3397–3401, 1999.
- O. Benavente-García, J. Castillo, J. Lorente, A. Ortuño, and J. A. del Río, “Antioxidant activity of phenolics extracted from Olea europaea L. leaves,” Food Chemistry, vol. 68, no. 4, pp. 457–462, 2000.
- B. Felizón, J. Fernández-Bolaños, A. Heredia, and R. Guillén, “Steam explosion pretreatment of olive cake,” Journal of the American Oil Chemists Society, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 15–22, 2000.
- H. Domínguez, J. Torres, and M. J. Núñez, “Antioxidant phenolics as food additives from agricultural wastes,” Polyphénols Actualités, vol. 21, pp. 25–30, 2001.
- B. Amro, T. Aburjai, and S. Al-Khalil, “Antioxidative and radical scavenging effects of olive cake extract,” Fitoterapia, vol. 73, no. 6, pp. 456–461, 2002.
- A. Ranalli, L. Lucera, and S. Contento, “Antioxidizing potency of phenol compounds in olive mill wastewater,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 51, no. 26, pp. 7636–7641, 2003.
- H. K. Obied, M. S. Allen, D. R. Bedgood, P. D. Prenzler, K. Robards, and R. Stockmann, “Bioactivity and analysis of biophenols recovered from olive mill waste,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 823–837, 2005.
- G. Rodríguez, R. Rodríguez, J. Fernández-Bolaños, R. Guillén, and A. Jiménez, “Antioxidant activity of effluents during the purification of hydroxytyrosol and 3,4-dihydroxyphenylglycol from olive oil waste,” European Food Research and Technology, vol. 224, no. 6, pp. 733–741, 2007.
- G. Rodríguez, A. Lama, M. Trujillo, J. L. Espartero, and J. Fernández-Bolaños, “Isolation of powerful antioxidant from Olea europaea fruit-mill waste: 3,4-dihydroxyphenylglycol,” Food Science and Technology, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 483–490, 2009.
- I. González-Hidalgo, S. Bañón, and J. M. Ros, “Evaluation of table olive by-product as a source of natural antioxidants,” International Journal of Food Science and Technology, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 674–681, 2012.
- J. Altarejos, S. Salido, M. Pérez-Bonilla et al., “Preliminary assay on the radical scavenging activity of olive wood extracts,” Fitoterapia, vol. 76, no. 3-4, pp. 348–351, 2005.
- M. Pérez-Bonilla, S. Salido, T. A. van Beek et al., “Isolation and identification of radical scavengers in olive tree (Olea europaea) wood,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 1112, no. 1-2, pp. 311–318, 2006.
- M. Pérez-Bonilla, S. Salido, T. A. van Beek et al., “Isolation of antioxidative secoiridoids from olive wood (Olea europaea L.) guided by on-line HPLC-DAD-radical scavenging detection,” Food Chemistry, vol. 124, no. 1, pp. 36–41, 2011.
- H. Zbidi, S. Salido, J. Altarejos et al., “Olive tree wood phenolic compounds with human platelet antiaggregant properties,” Blood Cells, Molecules, and Diseases, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 279–285, 2009.
- G. Beltrán, C. del Río, S. Sánchez, and L. Martínez, “Seasonal changes in olive fruit characteristics and oil accumulation during ripening process,” Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, vol. 84, no. 13, pp. 1783–1790, 2004.
- W. Brand-Williams, M. E. Cuvelier, and C. Berset, “Use of a free radical method to evaluate antioxidant activity,” Food Science and Technology, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 25–30, 1995.
- A. von Gadow, E. Joubert, and C. F. Hansmann, “Comparison of the antioxidant activity of aspalathin with that of other plant phenols of rooibos tea (Aspalathus linearis), α-tocopherol, BHT, and BHA,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 632–638, 1997.
- S. Mukhopadhyay, D. L. Luthria, and R. J. Robbins, “Optimization of extraction process for phenolic acids from black cohosh (Cimicifuga racemosa) by pressurized liquid extraction,” Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, vol. 86, no. 1, pp. 156–162, 2006.
- B. F. de Simón, E. Cadahía, E. Conde, and M. C. García-Vallejo, “Low molecular weight phenolic compounds in Spanish oakwoods,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 1507–1511, 1996.
- H. Tsukamoto, S. Hisada, and S. Nishibe, “Lignans from bark of the Olea plants. I,” Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 32, no. 7, pp. 2730–2735, 1984.
- I. Parejo, F. Viladomat, J. Bastida et al., “Comparison between the radical scavenging activity and antioxidant activity of six distilled and nondistilled mediterranean herbs and aromatic plants,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 50, no. 23, pp. 6882–6890, 2002.
- J. M. Cruz, J. M. Domínguez, H. Domínguez, and J. C. Parajó, “Antioxidant and antimicrobial effects of extracts from hydrolysates of lignocellulosic materials,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 2459–2464, 2001.
- A. Moure, H. Domínguez, and J. C. Parajó, “Antioxidant activity of liquors from aqueous treatment of Pinus radiata wood,” Wood Science and Technology, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 129–139, 2005.
- J. M. Cruz, H. Domínguez, and J. C. Parajó, “Anti-oxidant activity of isolates from acid hydrolysates of Eucalyptus globulus wood,” Food Chemistry, vol. 90, no. 4, pp. 503–511, 2005.
- J. Fernández-Bolaños, B. Felizón, M. Brenes, R. Guillén, and A. Heredia, “Hydroxytyrosol and tyrosol as the main compounds found in the phenolic fraction of steam-exploded olive stones,” Journal of the American Oil Chemists Society, vol. 75, no. 11, pp. 1643–1649, 1998.
- I. Romero, E. Ruiz, E. Castro, and M. Moya, “Acid hydrolysis of olive tree biomass,” Chemical Engineering Research and Design, vol. 88, no. 5-6, pp. 633–640, 2010.
- M. Bouaziz and S. Sayadi, “Isolation and evaluation of antioxidants from leaves of a Tunisian cultivar olive tree,” European Journal of Lipid Science and Technology, vol. 107, no. 7-8, pp. 497–504, 2005.
- M. M. Torres, P. Pierantozzi, M. E. Cáceres, P. Labombarda, G. Fontanazza, and D. M. Maestri, “Genetic and chemical assessment of Arbequina olive cultivar grown in Córdoba province, Argentina,” Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, vol. 89, no. 3, pp. 523–530, 2009.
- Z. D. He, P. P. H. But, T. W. D. Chan et al., “Antioxidative glucosides from the fruits of Ligustrum lucidum,” Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 49, no. 6, pp. 780–784, 2001.
- T. Tanahashi, T. Sakai, Y. Takenaka, N. Nagakura, and C. C. Chen, “Structure elucidation of two secoiridoid glucosides from Jasminum officinale L. var. grandiflorum (L.) Kobuski,” Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 47, no. 11, pp. 1582–1586, 1999.
- D. Caruso, R. Colombo, R. Patelli, F. Giavarini, and G. Galli, “Rapid evaluation of phenolic component profile and analysis of oleuropein aglycon in olive oil by atmospheric pressure chemical ionization-mass spectrometry (APCI-MS),” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 1182–1185, 2000.
- L. Di Donna, F. Mazzotti, A. Napoli, R. Salerno, A. Sajjad, and G. Sindona, “Secondary metabolism of olive secoiridoids. New microcomponents detected in drupes by electrospray ionization and high-resolution tandem mass spectrometry,” Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 273–278, 2007.
- Y. Takenaka, T. Tanahashi, M. Shintaku, T. Sakai, N. Nagakura, and Parida, “Secoiridoid glucosides from Fraxinus americana,” Phytochemistry, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 275–284, 2000.
- S. W. Wright, D. L. Hageman, A. S. Wright, and L. D. McClure, “Convenient preparations of t-butyl esters and ethers from t-butanol,” Tetrahedron Letters, vol. 38, no. 42, pp. 7345–7348, 1997.