- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Geophysics
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 715321, 14 pages
A Spatiotemporal Analysis of Climatic Drivers for Observed Changes in Sahelian Vegetation Productivity (1982–2007)
Department of Geography and Geology, University of Copenhagen, Øster Voldgade 10, 1350 Copenhagen, Denmark
Received 16 February 2011; Accepted 26 September 2011
Academic Editor: Andrea Sealy
Copyright © 2011 Per Skougaard Kaspersen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Smithson, K. Addison, and K. Atkinson, Fundamentals of the Physical Environment, Routledge Taylor & Francis Group, London, UK, 4th edition, 2008.
- K. M. Leisinger and K. Schmitt, Survival in the Sahel—An Ecological and Developmental Challenge, The International Service for Agricultural Research (ISNAR), 1995.
- M. Boko, I. Niang, A. Nyong, et al., “Africa,” in Climate Change 2007: Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability. Contribution of Working Group II to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, M. L. Parry, O. F. Canziani, J. P. Palutikof, P. J. van der Linden, and C. E. Hanson, Eds., pp. 433–467, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2007.
- N. Zeng, “Drought in the Sahel,” Science, vol. 302, no. 5647, pp. 999–1000, 2003.
- M. Hulme, “Climatic perspectives on Sahelian desiccation: 1973–1998,” Global Environmental Change, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 19–29, 2001.
- S. E. Nicholson and J. P. Grist, “A conceptual model for understanding rainfall variability in the West African Sahel on interannual and interdecadal timescales,” International Journal of Climatology, vol. 21, no. 14, pp. 1733–1757, 2001.
- S. T. Kandji, L. Verchot, and J. Mackensen, Climate Change and Climate Variability in the Sahel Region: Impacts and Adaptation Strategies in the Agricultural Sector, World Agroforesty Centre, UNEP, 2006.
- IPCC, “Intergovernmental panel on climate change,” Fourth Assessment Report (AR4), Working Group II Report (WGI) Climate Change 2007: Working Group II: Impacts, adaptation and vulnerability, 2007.
- W. Steffen, A. Sanderson, P. D. Tyson, et al., Global Change and the Earth System: A Planet Under Pressure, IGBP Book, 2004.
- C. B. Field, F. S. Chapin III, P. A. Matson, and H. A. Mooney, “Responses of terrestrial ecosystems to the changing atmosphere: a resource-based approach,” Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 201–235, 1992.
- S. M. Herrmann, A. Anyamba, and C. J. Tucker, “Recent trends in vegetation dynamics in the African Sahel and their relationship to climate,” Global Environmental Change, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 394–404, 2005.
- T. Hickler, L. Eklundh, J. W. Seaquist et al., “Precipitation controls Sahel greening trend,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 32, no. 21, Article ID L21415, pp. 1–4, 2005.
- Y. H. Kerr, J. Imbernon, G. Dedieu, O. Hautecoeur, J. P. Lagouarde, and B. Seguin, “NOAA-AVHRR and its uses for rainfall and evapotranspiration monitoring,” International Journal of Remote Sensing, vol. 10, no. 4-5, pp. 847–854, 1989.
- A. R. Malo and S. E. Nicholson, “A study of rainfall and vegetation dynamics in the African Sahel using normalized difference vegetation index,” Journal of Arid Environments, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 1–24, 1990.
- S. D. Prince, E. B. de Colstoun, and L. L. Kravitz, “Evidence from rain-use efficiencies does not indicate extensive Sahelian desertification,” Global Change Biology, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 359–374, 1998.
- R. R. Nemani, C. D. Keeling, H. Hashimoto et al., “Climate-driven increases in global terrestrial net primary production from 1982 to 1999,” Science, vol. 300, no. 5625, pp. 1560–1563, 2003.
- R. Fensholt and K. Rasmussen, “Analysis of trends in the Sahelian “rain-use efficiency” using GIMMS NDVI, RFE and GPCP rainfall data,” Remote Sensing of Environment, vol. 115, no. 2, pp. 438–451, 2011.
- S. E. Nicholson, “Sahel, West Africa,” Encyclopedia of Environmental Biology, vol. 3, pp. 261–275, 1995.
- P. Mayaux, E. Bartholomé, M. Massart, et al., A Land-Cover Map of Africa, Office for Official Publications of the European Communities, Luxembourg, 2003.
- P. Hiernaux, E. Mougin, L. Diarra et al., “Sahelian rangeland response to changes in rainfall over two decades in the Gourma region, Mali,” Journal of Hydrology, vol. 375, no. 1-2, pp. 114–127, 2009.
- T. Lebel and A. Ali, “Recent trends in the Central and Western Sahel rainfall regime (1990–2007),” Journal of Hydrology, vol. 375, no. 1-2, pp. 52–64, 2009.
- M. E. Brown, The Famine Early Warning Systems and Remote Sensing Data, Springer, 2008.
- C. J. Tucker, J. E. Pinzon, M. E. Brown, et al., “An extended AVHRR 8-km NDVI dataset compatible with MODIS and SPOT vegetation NDVI data,” International Journal of Remote Sensing, vol. 26, pp. 4485–4498, 2005.
- D. Ramier, N. Boulain, B. Cappelaere et al., “Towards an understanding of coupled physical and biological processes in the cultivated Sahel—1. Energy and water,” Journal of Hydrology, vol. 375, no. 1-2, pp. 204–216, 2009.
- Y. Fan and H. van den Dool, “A global monthly land surface air temperature analysis for 1948–present,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 113, no. 1, Article ID D01103, 2008.
- M. E. James and S. N. V. Kalluri, “The pathfinder AVHRR land data set: an improved coarse resolution data set for terrestrial monitoring,” International Journal of Remote Sensing, vol. 15, no. 17, pp. 3347–3363, 1994.
- E. Vermote and Y. J. Kaufman, “Absolute calibration of AVHRR visible and near-infrared channels using ocean and cloud views,” International Journal of Remote Sensing, vol. 16, no. 13, pp. 2317–2340, 1995.
- S. O. Los, “Estimation of the ratio of sensor degradation between NOAA AVHRR channels 1 and 2 from monthly NDVI composites,” IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 206–213, 1998.
- J. E. Pinzon, M.E. Brown, and C. J. Tucker, “Hilbert-Huang transform and its applications,” in Interdisciplinary Mathematical Sciences, N. E. Huang, Ed., vol. 5, p. 12, World Scientific, London, UK, 2005.
- P. Xie and P. A. Arkin, “Global precipitation: a 17-year monthly analysis based on Gauge observations, satellite estimates, and numerical model outputs,” Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, vol. 78, no. 11, pp. 2539–2558, 1997.
- M. Kanamitsu, W. Ebisuzaki, J. Woollen et al., “NCEP-DOE AMIP-II reanalysis (R-2),” Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, vol. 83, no. 11, pp. 1631–1643, 2002.
- U. Helldén and C. Tottrup, “Regional desertification: a global synthesis,” Global and Planetary Change, vol. 64, no. 3-4, pp. 169–176, 2008.
- R. Fensholt, K. Rasmussen, T. T. Nielsen, and C. Mbow, “Evaluation of earth observation based long term vegetation trends—intercomparing NDVI time series trend analysis consistency of Sahel from AVHRR GIMMS, Terra MODIS and SPOT VGT data,” Remote Sensing of Environment, vol. 113, no. 9, pp. 1886–1898, 2009.
- H. Theil, “A rank-invariant method of linear and polynomial regression analysis. I, II and III,” in Proceedings of the Koninklijke Nederlandse Akademie van Wetenschappen, vol. 53, pp. 386–392, 521–525, 1397–1412, 1950.
- P. K. Sen, “Estimates of the regression coefficient based on Kendall's tau,” Journal of the American Statistical Association, vol. 63, pp. 1379–1389, 1968.
- D. C. Hoaglin, F. Mosteller, and J. W. Tukey, Understanding Robust and Exploratory Data Analysis, Wiley, New York, NY, USA, 2000.
- D. Alcaraz-Segura, E. Chuvieco, H. E. Epstein, E. S. Kasischke, and A. Trishchenko, “Debating the greening vs. browning of the North American boreal forest: differences between satellite datasets,” Global Change Biology, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 760–770, 2010.
- R. M. Hirsch and J. R. Slack, “A nonparametric trend test for seasonal data with serial dependence,” Water Resources Research, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 727–732, 1984.
- G. van Belle and J. P. Hughes, “Nonparametric tests for trend in water quality,” Water Resources Research, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 127–136, 1984.
- K. M. de Beurs and G. M. Henebry, “Land surface phenology and temperature variation in the International Geosphere-Biosphere Program high-latitude transects,” Global Change Biology, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 779–790, 2005.
- S. Huber, R. Fensholt, and K. Rasmussen, “Water availability as the driver of vegetation dynamics in the African Sahel from 1982 to 2007,” Global and Planetary Change, vol. 76, no. 3-4, pp. 186–195, 2011.
- J. Hill, M. Stellmes, T. Udelhoven, A. Röder, and S. Sommer, “Mediterranean desertification and land degradation. Mapping related land use change syndromes based on satellite observations,” Global and Planetary Change, vol. 64, no. 3-4, pp. 146–157, 2008.
- J. R. Eastman, F. Sangermano, B. Ghimire et al., “Seasonal trend analysis of image time series,” International Journal of Remote Sensing, vol. 30, no. 10, pp. 2721–2726, 2009.
- L. Olsson, L. Eklundh, and J. Ardö, “A recent greening of the Sahel—trends, patterns and potential causes,” Journal of Arid Environments, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 556–566, 2005.
- A. Anyamba and C. J. Tucker, “Analysis of Sahelian vegetation dynamics using NOAA-AVHRR NDVI data from 1981–2003,” Journal of Arid Environments, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 596–614, 2005.
- L. Eklundh and L. Olsson, “Vegetation index trends for the African Sahel 1982–1999,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 30, no. 8, p. 1430, 2003.
- B. W. Heumann, J. W. Seaquist, L. Eklundh, and P. Jönsson, “AVHRR derived phenological change in the Sahel and Soudan, Africa, 1982–2005,” Remote Sensing of Environment, vol. 108, no. 4, pp. 385–392, 2007.
- A. R. Huete, “A soil-adjusted vegetation index (SAVI),” Remote Sensing of Environment, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 295–309, 1988.
- S. E. Nicholson, “An overview of African rainfall fluctuations of the last decade,” Journal of Climate, vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 1463–1466, 1993.
- S. Solomon, D. Qin, M. Manning, et al., “Technical summary,” in Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, S. Solomon, D. Qin, M. Manning, et al., Eds., Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2007.
- K. E. Trenberth, P. D. Jones, P. Ambenje, et al., “Observations: surface and atmospheric climate change,” in Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, S. Solomon, D. Qin, M. Manning, et al., Eds., Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2007.
- L. Eklundh, “Estimating relations between AVHRR NDVI and rainfall in East Africa at 10-day and monthly time scales,” International Journal of Remote Sensing, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 563–568, 1998.
- N. Martiny, P. Camberlin, Y. Richard, and N. Philippon, “Compared regimes of NDVI and rainfall in semi-arid regions of Africa,” International Journal of Remote Sensing, vol. 27, no. 23, pp. 5201–5223, 2006.
- S. D. Prince, K. J. Wessels, C. J. Tucker, and S. E. Nicholson, “Desertification in the Sahel: a reinterpretation of a reinterpretation,” Global Change Biology, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 1308–1313, 2007.
- K. Sherwood and C. Idso, “The greening of the sahel,” CO2 Science, vol. 9, no. 2, 2006, Editorial comments.