- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Geophysics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 461863, 10 pages
Seismic Hazard Assessment for the Tianshui Urban Area, Gansu Province, China
1Kentucky Geological Survey, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, USA
2Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, USA
3Lanzhou Institute of Seismology, China Earthquake Administration, Gansu, Lanzhou, China
Received 4 May 2012; Revised 27 July 2012; Accepted 14 August 2012
Academic Editor: Vladimir G. Kossobokov
Copyright © 2012 Zhenming Wang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Z. S. Lei, D. Y. Yuan, W. P. Ge, W. G. He, and X. W. Liu, “Textual research on the Tianshui M 7 earthquake in 734 AD and analysis of its causative structure,” Dizhen Dizhi, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 51–62, 2007 (Chinese).
- F. Xie, Z. Wang, Y. Du, and X. Zhang, “Preliminary observations of the faulting and damage pattern of M8. 0 Wenchuan, China, earthquake,” The Professional Geologist, vol. 46, pp. 3–6, 2009.
- Building Seismic Safety Council (BSSC), NEHRP Recommended Provisions for Seismic Regulations for New Buildings, Federal Emergency Management Agency, 2009.
- M. D. Petersen, A. D. Frankel, S. C. Harmsen et al., “Documentation for the 2008 update of the United States national seismic hazard maps,” Tech. Rep. 08-1128, U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report, 2008.
- International Building Code Council (IBCC), International building code: 678 p., 2010.
- People’s Republic of China National Standard (PRCNS), Seismic Ground Motion Parameter Zonation Map of China, GB 18306–2001, China Standard Press, 2001.
- M. Stucchi, C. Meletti, V. Montaldo, H. Crowley, G. M. Calvi, and E. Boschi, “Seismic hazard assessment (2003–2009) for the Italian building code,” Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, vol. 101, no. 4, pp. 1885–1911, 2011.
- C. A. Cornell, “Engineering seismic risk analysis,” Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, vol. 58, pp. 1583–1606, 1968.
- E. L. Krinitzsky, “Deterministic versus probabilistic seismic hazard analysis for critical structures,” Engineering Geology, vol. 40, no. 1-2, pp. 1–7, 1995.
- E. L. Krinitzsky, “How to obtain earthquake ground motions for engineering design,” Engineering Geology, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 1–16, 2002.
- T. C. Hanks, “Imperfect science: uncertainty, diversity, and experts,” Eos, vol. 78, no. 35, pp. 369–377, 1997.
- J. J. Bommer and N. A. Abrahamson, “Reply to “Comment on ‘Why do modern probabilistic seismic-hazard analyses often lead to increased hazard estimates?’ by Julian J. Bommer and Norman A. Abrahamson” by Zhenming Wang and Mai Zhou,” Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, vol. 97, no. 6, pp. 2215–2217, 2007.
- Z. Wang, “Comment on “Sigma: Issues, insights, and challenges” by F. O. Strasser, N. A. Abrahamson J. J. Bommer,” Seismological Research Letters, vol. 80, no. 3, pp. 491–493, 2009.
- Z. Wang, “Seismic hazard assessment: issues and alternatives,” Pure and Applied Geophysics, vol. 168, no. 1-2, pp. 11–25, 2011.
- Z. Wang and C. Cobb, “A critque of probablistic versus deterministic seismic hazard analysis with special reference to the New Mardid seismic zone,” in Recent Advances in North American Paleoseismology and Neotectonics East of Rockies: Geological Society of America Special Paper 493, R. T. Cox, M. P. Tuttle, O. S. Boyd, and J. Locat, Eds., p. 17, 2012.
- J. G. Anderson and J. N. Brune, “Probabilistic seismic hazard analysis without the ergodic assumption,” Seismological Research Letters, vol. 70, no. 1, pp. 19–28, 1999.
- Z. Wang, “Comment on “PSHA Validated by Quasi Observational Means” by R. M. W. Musson,” Seismological Research Letters, vol. 83, pp. 714–716, 2012.
- T. C. Hanks, “Extreme ground motions,” in Annual Meeting of the Seismological Society of America, Memphis, Tenn, USA, April 2011.
- F. Scherbaum and N. Kuehn, “Logic tree branch weights and probabilities: summing up to one is not enough,” Earthquake Spectra, vol. 27, pp. 1237–1251, 2011.
- F. . Scherbaum and N. Kuehn, “Capturing epistemic uncertainties in PSHA within a logic tree framework (abstract): the 2012,” in Annual Meeting of the Seismological Society of America, pp. 17–19, San Diego, Calif, USA, April 2012.
- R. M. W. Musson, “PSHA validated by quasi observational means,” Seismological Research Letters, vol. 83, no. 1, pp. 130–134, 2012.
- R. M. W. Musson, “Probability in PSHA: reply to ‘Comment on ‘PSHA Validated by Quasi-Observational Means’ by Z. gg’,” Seismological Research Letters, vol. 83, pp. 717–719, 2012.
- Z. Wang and M. Lu, “A short note on ground-motion recordings from the M 7.9 Wenchuan, China, earthquake and ground-motion prediction equations in the Central and Eastern United States,” Seismological Research Letters, vol. 82, no. 5, pp. 731–734, 2011.
- R. J. Geller, “Shake-up time for Japanese seismology,” Nature, vol. 472, no. 7344, pp. 407–409, 2011.
- S. Stein, R. J. Geller, and M. Liu, “Bad assumptions or bad luck: why earthquake hazard maps need objective testing,” Seismological Research Letters, vol. 82, pp. 623–626, 2011.
- S. Stein, R. J. Geller, and M. Liu, “Why earthquake hazard maps often fail and what to do about it,” Tectonophysics, vol. 562-563, pp. 1–25, 2012.
- V. G. Kossobokov and A. K. Nekrasova, “Global seismic hazard assessment program maps are erroneous,” Seismic Instruments, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 162–170, 2012.
- J. C. Stepp, I. Wong, J. Whitney et al., “Probabilistic seismic hazard analyses for ground motions and fault displacement at Yucca Mountain, Nevada,” Earthquake Spectra, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 113–151, 2001.
- R. Street, Z. Wang, I. Harik, and D. Allen, “Source zones, recurrence rates, and time histories for earthquakes affecting kentucky,” Research Report KCT-96-4, University of Kentucky, Kentucky Transportation Center, 1996.
- G. F. Panza, F. Romanelli, and F. Vaccari, “Seismic wave propagation in laterally heterogeneous anelastic media: theory and applications to seismic zonation,” Advances in Geophysics, vol. 43, pp. 1–95, 2001.
- Z. Wang, E. W. Woolery, B. Shi, and I. E. Harik, “Seismic hazard maps and time histories from earthquakes affecting Kentucky,” Research Report KTC-07-06/SPR246-02-6F, University of Kentucky, Kentucky Transportation Center, 2007.
- K. Irikura and H. Miyake, “Recipe for predicting strong ground motion from crustal earthquake scenarios,” Pure and Applied Geophysics, vol. 168, no. 1-2, pp. 85–104, 2011.
- E. Zuccolo, F. Vaccari, A. Peresan, and G. F. Panza, “Neo-deterministic and probabilistic seismic hazard assessments: a comparison over the Italian territory,” Pure and Applied Geophysics, vol. 168, no. 1-2, pp. 69–83, 2011.
- L. Reiter, Earthquake Hazard Analysis, Columbia University Press, New York, NY, USA, 1990.
- C. H. Cramer, “Comment on ‘communicating with uncertainty: a critical issue with probabilistic seismic hazard analysis’,” Eos, vol. 85, no. 30, p. 283, 2004.
- L. Mualchin, “History of modern earthquake hazard mapping and assessment in California using a deterministic or scenario approach,” Pure and Applied Geophysics, vol. 168, no. 3-4, pp. 383–407, 2011.
- NCh433.Of96, Earthquake Resistant Design of Buildings, Official Chilean Code, Santiago, Chile, 1996.
- H. Kuramoto, “Seismic design codes for buildings in Japan,” Journal of Disaster Research, vol. 1, pp. 341–356, 2006.
- J. W. Liu, Z. M. Wang, and F. R. Xie, “Seismic hazard and risk assessments for Beijing-Tianjin-Tangshan area, China,” Chinese Journal of Geophysics, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 318–325, 2010 (Chinese).
- F. Xie, Z. Wang, and J. Liu, “Seismic hazard and risk assessments for Beijing-Tianjin-Tangshan, China, area,” Pure and Applied Geophysics, vol. 168, no. 3-4, pp. 731–738, 2011.
- Yuehua Zeng, J. G. Anderson, and Guang Yu, “A composite source model for computing realistic synthetic strong ground motions,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 725–728, 1994.
- T. D. Butler III, Scenario hazard assessment of Tianshui’s urban area, Gansu Province, People’s Republic of China [M.S. thesis], University of Kentucky, 2011.
- S. B. Bozkurt, R. S. Stein, and S. Toda, “Forecasting probabilistic seismic shaking for greater Tokyo from 400 years of intensity observations,” Earthquake Spectra, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 525–546, 2007.
- State Seismological Bureau (SSB), Disaster Prevention Department, Catalogue of Chinese Historical Strong Earthquakes, Earthquake Publishing House, Beijing, China, 1995.
- C. E. A. China Earthquake Administration (), Recent Earthquake Catalogue of China (1912–1990, MS ≥ 4.7, Chinese Science and Technology Press., Beijing, China, 2000.
- S. Wang, Y. Yu, A. Gao, and X. Yan, “Development of attenuation relations for ground motion in China,” Earthquake Research in China, vol. 16, pp. 99–106, 2000 (Chinese).
- D. M. Boore and G. M. Atkinson, “Stochastic prediction of ground motion and spectral response parameters at hard-rock sites in Eastern North America,” Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, vol. 77, pp. 440–467, 1987.
- I. A. Beresnev and G. M. Atkinson, “Modeling finite-fault radiation from the ωn spectrum,” Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 67–84, 1997.
- P. Somerville, M. Sen, and B. Cohee, “Simulation of strong ground motions recorded during the 1985 Michoacan, Mexico and Valparaiso, Chile earthquakes,” Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, vol. 81, no. 1, pp. 1–27, 1991.
- B. Shi, Z. Wang, and E. W. Woolery, Source Scalling, Subevent Distributions, and Ground-Motion Simulation in the Composite Source Model. Report of Investigations, Kentucky Geological Survey, series 12, 2006.
- R. W. Graves, “Simulating seismic wave propagation in 3D elastic media using staggered-grid finite differences,” Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, vol. 86, no. 4, pp. 1091–1106, 1996.
- K. A. Macpherson, E. W. Woolery, Z. Wang, and P. Liu, “Three-dimensional long-period groundmotion simulations in the upper Mississippi embayment,” Seismological Research Letters, vol. 81, no. 2, pp. 391–405, 2010.
- J. E. Luco and R. J. Apsel, “On the Green’s function for a layered half space,” Bulletin of Seismological Society of America, vol. 73, pp. 909–929, 1983.
- Y. Zeng and J. G. Anderson, “A method for direct computation of the differential seismogram with respect to the velocity change in a layered elastic solid,” Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 300–307, 1995.
- Z. C. Wang, P. Z. Zhang, G. L. Zhang et al., “Tertiary tectonic activities of the north frontal fault zone of the west Qinling mountains: implications for the growth of the northeastern margin of the Qinghai-Tibetan plateau,” Earth Science Frontiers, vol. 13, pp. 119–135, 2006.
- D. L. Wells and K. J. Coppersmith, “New empirical relationships among magnitude, rupture length, rupture width, rupture area, and surface displacement,” Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, vol. 84, no. 4, pp. 974–1002, 1994.
- X. Li, Z. Zhou, H. Yu et al., “Strong motion observations and recordings from the great Wenchuan Earthquake,” Earthquake Engineering and Engineering Vibration, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 235–246, 2008.
- M. Zhou, Y. Zhang, Q. Li, and B. Fan, “Q-structure in Tianshui earthquake area,” Acta Geophysica Sinica, vol. 39, supplement, pp. 216–222, 1996 (Chinese).
- M. Liu, W. D. Mooney, S. Li, N. Okaya, and S. Detweiler, “Crustal structure of the northeastern margin of the Tibetan plateau from the Songpan-Ganzi terrane to the Ordos basin,” Tectonophysics, vol. 420, no. 1-2, pp. 253–266, 2006.
- J. Zhang, R. Gao, L. Zeng et al., “Relationship between crustal 3D sensity structure and the earthquakes in the Longmenshan Range and adjacent areas,” Acta Geologica Sinica, vol. 83, pp. 740–745, 2009.
- H. Kanamori, “The energy release in great earthquakes,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 82, pp. 1981–2987, 1977.
- S. Stein and M. Wysession, An Introduction to Seismology, Earthquakes and Earth Structure, Blackwell, 2003.