- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Geophysics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 505286, 37 pages
The Campi Flegrei Blind Test: Evaluating the Imaging Capability of Local Earthquake Tomography in a Volcanic Area
1Dipartimento Centro di Ricerche Sismologiche (CRS), Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e di Oceanografia Sperimentale (OGS), Trieste, Italy
2Dipartimento di Scienze Fisiche, Università degli Studi di Napoli “Federico II”, Napoli, Italy
3Dipartimento di Geofisica della Litosfera (GDL), Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e di Oceanografia Sperimentale (OGS), Trieste, Italy
4Centro Nazionale Terremoti (CNT), Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e di Vulcanologia (INGV), Roma, Italy
5Géosciences Montpellier, UMR 5243 CNRS, University Montpellier 2, Montpellier, France
6Stanford Rock Physics Laboratory, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, USA
7Institut des Sciences de la Terre (ISTerre), The Université Joseph Fourier, Grenoble, France
Received 9 February 2012; Revised 20 June 2012; Accepted 8 July 2012
Academic Editor: Marek Grad
Copyright © 2012 E. Priolo et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Scandone, F. Bellucci, L. Lirer, and G. Rolandi, “The structure of the Campanian Plain and the activity of the Neapolitan volcanoes (Italy),” Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, vol. 48, no. 1-2, pp. 1–31, 1991.
- L. Lirer, G. Luongo, and R. Scandone, “On the volcanological evolution of Campi Flegrei,” Eos Transactions, American Geophysical Union, 68, pp. 226–234, 1987.
- R. C. Aster and R. P. Meyer, “Three-dimensional velocity structure and hypocenter distribution in the Campi Flegrei caldera, Italy,” Tectonophysics, vol. 149, no. 3-4, pp. 195–218, 1988.
- T. Vanorio, J. Virieux, P. Capuano, and G. Russo, “Three-dimensional seismic tomography from P wave and S wave microearthquake travel times and rock physics characterization of the Campi Flegrei Caldera,” Journal of Geophysical Research B, vol. 110, Article ID B03202, 14 pages, 2005.
- P. Capuano, A. Zollo, E. Auger et al., “Campi Flegrei active seismic experiments waveforms compilation,” in Geophysical Exploration of the Campi Flegrei (Southern Italy) Caldera' Interiors: Data, Methods and Results, A. Zollo, P. Capuano, and M. Corciulo, Eds., pp. 79–87, Gruppo Nazionale di Vulcanologia, 2006.
- A. Zollo, S. Judenherc, E. Auger et al., “Evidence for the buried rim of Campi Flegrei caldera from 3-d active seismic imaging,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 30, no. 19, pp. 1–10, 2003.
- J. Battaglia, A. Zollo, J. Virieux, and D. Dello Iacono, “Merging active and passive data sets in traveltime tomography: the case study of Campi Flegrei caldera (Southern Italy),” Geophysical Prospecting, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 555–573, 2008.
- E. Kissling, W. L. Ellsworth, D. Eberhart-Phillips, and U. Kradolfer, “Initial reference models in local earthquake tomography,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 99, no. 10, pp. 635–646, 1994.
- Gocad (Geological Object Computer Aided Design), http://www.gocad.org/w4/.
- R. de Matteis, D. Latorre, A. Zollo, and J. Virieux, “1-D P-velocity models of Mt. Vesuvius volcano from the inversion of TomoVes96 first arrival time data,” Pure and Applied Geophysics, vol. 157, no. 10, pp. 1643–1661, 2000.
- S. de Lorenzo, A. Zollo, and F. Mongelli, “Source parameters and three-dimensional attenuation structure from the inversion of microearthquake pulse width data: Qp imaging and inferences on the thermal state of the Campi Flegrei caldera (southern Italy),” Journal of Geophysical Research B, vol. 106, no. 8, pp. 16265–16286, 2001.
- A. Zollo and S. de Lorenzo, “Source parameters and three-dimensional attenuation structure from the inversion of microearthquake pulse width data: method and synthetic tests,” Journal of Geophysical Research B, vol. 106, no. 8, pp. 16287–16306, 2001.
- Agip, Modello Geotermico del Sistema Flegreo (Sintesi), Servizi Centrali per l’Esplorazione, SERG-MESG, San Donato, Italy, 1987.
- M. D'Antonio, L. Civetta, G. Orsi et al., “The present state of the magmatic system of the Campi Flegrei caldera based on a reconstruction of its behavior in the past 12 ka,” Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, vol. 91, no. 2-4, pp. 247–268, 1999.
- F. Ferrucci, A. Hirn, G. de Natale, J. Virieux, and L. Mirabile, “P-SV conversions at a shallow boundary beneath Campi Flegrei caldera (Italy): evidence for the magma chamber,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 97, no. 11, pp. 15351–15359, 1992.
- S. Judenherc and A. Zollo, “The Bay of Naples (southern Italy): constraints on the volcanic structures inferred from a dense seismic survey,” Journal of Geophysical Research B, vol. 109, no. 10, Article ID B10312, 10 pages, 2004.
- L. D'Auria, M. Martini, A. M. Esposito, P. Ricciolino, and F. Giudicepietro, “A unified 3D velocity model for the Neapolitan volcanic areas,” in Conception, Verification, and Application of Innovative Techniques to Study Active Volcanoes, W. Marzocchi and A. Zollo, Eds., pp. 375–390, 2008.
- L. D'Auria, F. Giudicepietro, I. Aquino et al., “Repeated fluid-transfer episodes as a mechanism for the recent dynamics of Campi Flegrei caldera (1989–2010),” Journal of Geophysical Research B, vol. 116, no. 4, Article ID B04313-24, 2011.
- P. Podvin and I. Lecomte, “Finite difference computation of traveltimes in very contrasted velocity models: a massively parallel approach and its associated tools,” Geophysical Journal International, vol. 105, no. 1, pp. 271–284, 1991.
- A. Lomax, “NonLinLoc Home Page,” 2001, http://alomax.free.fr/nlloc/soft2.30/.
- K. Aki and B. Chouet, “Origin of coda waves: source, attenuation and scattering effects,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 80, no. 23, pp. 3322–3342, 1975.
- T. Lay and T. C. Wallace, Modern Global Seismology, Elsevier, New York, NY, USA, 1995.
- G. Böhm and A. Vesnaver, “Relying on a grid,” Journal of Seismic Exploration, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 169–184, 1996.
- “CAT3D - 3D Seismic Tomography,” http://www.3dtomography.com/.
- A. Lomax and A. Curtis, http://alomax.free.fr/nlloc//octtree/OctTree.html.
- R. Stewart, Exploration Seismic Tomography: Fundamentals, vol. 3 of Course Notes Series, Society of Exploration Geophysicists, 1993.
- G. Böhm, A. Vesnaver, and G. Rossi, “Minimum-time ray-tracing for 3-D irregular grids,” Journal of Seismic Exploration, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 117–131, 1999.
- A. Vesnaver and G. Böhm, “Staggered or adapted grids for seismic tomography?” Leading Edge, vol. 19, no. 9, pp. 944–950, 2000.
- F. Haslinger, Velocity structure, seismicity and seismotectonics of Northwestern Greece between the Gulf of Arta and Zakynthos [Ph.D. thesis], 1998, ETH No. 12966.
- C. H. Thurber, “Earthquake locations and three-dimensional crustal structure in the Coyote Lake area, central California (USA),” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 88, no. 10, pp. 8226–8236, 1983.
- D. W. Marquardt, “An algorithm for least-squares estimation of non-linear parameters,” Journal of the Society For Industrial and Applied Mathematics, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 431–441, 1963.
- J. R. Evans, D. Eberhart-Phillips, and C. H. Thurber, “User’s manual for SIMULPS12 for imaging vp and vp/vs: a derivative of the “Thurber” tomographic inversion SIMUL3 for local earthquakes and explosions,” Open-File Report 94-431, U.S. Geological Survey, 1994.
- C. H. Thurber, “Local earthquake tomography: velocities and Vp/Vs—theory,” in Seismic Tomography: Theory and Practice, H. M. Iyer and K. Hiahara, Eds., Chapman & Hall, London, UK, 1993.
- J. Virieux, “Fast and accurate ray tracing by Hamiltonian perturbation,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 579–594, 1991.
- J. Virieux and V. Farra, “Ray tracing in 3-D complex isotropic media: an analysis of the problem,” Geophysics, vol. 56, no. 12, pp. 2057–2069, 1991.
- W. H. K Lee and J. C. Lahr, “HYP071 (Revised): a computer program for determining hypocenter, magnitude, and first motion pattern of local earthquakes,” Open-File Report 75-311, U. S. Geological Survey, 1975.
- D. M. Eberhart-Phillips, “Three-dimensional velocity structure in Northern California Coast Ranges from inversion of local earthquake arrival times,” Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, vol. 76, no. 4, pp. 1025–1052, 1986.
- G. F. Gentile, G. Bressan, L. Burlini, and R. de Franco, “Three-dimensional V(P) and V(P)/V(S) models of the upper crust in the Friuli area (northeastern Italy),” Geophysical Journal International, vol. 141, no. 2, pp. 457–478, 2000.
- A. Michelini and T. V. McEvilly, “Seismological studies at Parkfield. I. Simultaneous inversion for velocity structure and hypocenters using cubic B-splines parameterization,” Bulletin, vol. 81, no. 2, pp. 524–552, 1991.
- C. C. Paige and M. A. Saunders, “LSQR: sparse linear equations and least squares problems,” ACM Transactions on Mathematical Software, vol. 8, pp. 195–209, 1982.
- A. Michelini, “Testing the reliability of anomalies in traveltime tomography,” Geophysical Journal International, vol. 114, no. 2, pp. 405–410, 1993.
- S. Gautier, G. Nolet, and J. Virieux, “Finite-frequency tomography in a crustal environment: application to the western part of the Gulf of Corinth,” Geophysical Prospecting, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 493–503, 2008.
- J. C. Lahr, “Hypoellipse: a computer program for determining local earthquake parameters, magnitude, and first motion pattern,” Open File Report 79-431, U. S. Geological Survey, 1979.
- D. Latorre, J. Virieux, T. Monfret et al., “A new seismic tomography of Aigion area (Gulf of Corinth, Greece) from the 1991 data set,” Geophysical Journal International, vol. 159, no. 3, pp. 1013–1031, 2004.
- P. Wessel and W. H. F. Smith, “New version of the generic mapping tools,” Eos, Transactions American Geophysical Union, vol. 76, no. 33, p. 329, 1995.